3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/)
-   -   New to forum but not to Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins/185000-new-forum-but-not-atkins.html)

honeybjones 02-27-2010 07:02 PM

I wish I could do some kind of original artwork but I am not very creative. On the other hand I am pretty good at math so I guess it evens out.

firefly68 02-27-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybjones (Post 3175916)
I wish I could do some kind of original artwork but I am not very creative. On the other hand I am pretty good at math so I guess it evens out.

Being good at math is impressive. 'Nough said.

honeybjones 02-27-2010 11:21 PM

Well thanks but I can't take credit for any natural abilities. Someone once told me the secret to math and I tell anyone who cares to know. So here it is. Math is a descriptive language, it is what it is, its not up for interpretation or discussion and there is no great mystery. Of course this all falls apart once you get into higher theoretical math but heck I'm a legal secretary. All I need to be able to do is add large amounts of money in my head.

HealthierLori 02-28-2010 08:39 AM

I really admire people who are good at math! I've never been good at math. I mean, I would take classes in the easier forms of math, like finite math and statistics, and I'd get "B's" in those classes which was okay to me since they weren't my best subjects, but then my mind would do a brain dump and I would forget within weeks everything I'd learned. I guess my brain just isn't set up to do well at math.

Deena52 03-14-2010 11:12 AM

Hey guys!

Sorry for the MIA. Missed you ALL!! Developed some computer (internet) problems and had to wait for my son to fix them for me. Still hovering in the 137 to 138 range. A pair or two of the jeans I'd gotten at the thrift store the last time were women's size 10, it turns out, and they fit me kinda loose right now. They fit great right out of the dryer and then start to get a bit baggy as I wear them. I tend to like men's jeans but was just trying on random pairs and had bought a bunch that fit me.....some men's 32" waist and women's 10's. My son wears 30" waist but have not tried them on yet...though am sure they'd be too tight and would love to try on a men's 31" pair.

The weather has been depressing here the past few days....gray and gloomy with rain on and off. Wish the sun would show up....this weather is bumming me out.

It's interesting....it's been my experience that when I've lost weight, I will be approached by others expressing an interest in the diet I used and how I did it. Recently, two neighbors and also my oldest son's fiance became interested.....and while explaining it to them, I realized that it's not all that easy of a diet to explain...when you factor in all the little particulars. By particulars, I mean all the little hints and caveats....the little things used when trouble-shooting, etc.
I will generally print-out the main page of the Veronica Atkin's site that lists the specific foods one can have on induction....but then there are all the little specifics....like the importance of eating enough fat, the importance of not over-doing it on the dairy (esp. the cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, etc.), the importance of vegetables, the importance of getting enough calories, avoiding the bars and shakes, etc.

One of the really great things about coming here...and that I really miss when my computer malfunctions....is that my friends here understand the Atkins plan. It can almost be like speaking a foreign language when trying to explain it to others.....at least for me, it is. It can be a bit...well, frustrating...when trying to explain it to others...at times. Part of this may be due to their already entrenched beliefs about fat....and also due to prior misconceptions about Atkins. It can be like trying to totally retrain someone to an altogether different way of eating.

I think the most challenging part for me is that I already know how much little misunderstandings could potentially cause them to not have success with the plan.....and therefore, feel it's critical to have them totally understand it so they don't just give up if they hit some walls in the beginning. Lately, I've been 1) writing out for them a list of my weekly groceries and 2) writing out for them a list of what I will eat daily...for about a week....just to give them some idea of what the plan looks like, practically speaking, on a day-to-day basis.

I hate to just tell them to "read the book".....and feel obligated to figure out a way to explain the plan to them.....ya know, trying to be helpful. Especially because these happen to be long-time friends of mine (the neighbors) and of course, my soon to be daughter-in-law....so they are not just random people who approach and ask me.

I'd love to be able to write myself up some sort of concise WORD document that I could print-out for them....sort of like the Veronica Atkins page PLUS all the most relevant tips and important points....that I could just print out and give to them. Of course, you guys know me.....and know that I launch into my diatribe about how carbs are the major culprits in our diets and verge into all sorts of topics that would make Gary Taubes proud...but that probably just confuse these poor folks that just want me to tell them exactly how I lost the weight and how they can do it too.:D
Poor guys get stuck with listening to a whole speech about carbs, fats, and problems with the American diet from me.....that they weren't asking for, necessarily.:D

When people ask you about Atkins or express an interest in trying it....how do you guys deal with that?

OK...let me go and read all the new threads here and dispense all my random wisdom....solicited or not.:D:devil:

deena :)

Deena52 03-19-2010 02:56 PM

http://gallery.me.com/justin120884/1...12690229020001

http://gallery.me.com/justin120884/1...12690229080001

OK...here is my original before photo at almost 195 lbs. and the other one is from today at 136.5 lbs. this morning....one and a half pound from goal...approximately. Approximately is because it is now gonna jump around between 136 and 138 now....could even be for a few weeks....before it finally stabilizes at this weight....and will eventually/hopefully hit 135/goal here soon.:carrot:

deena

Violet73 03-24-2010 08:29 AM

wow wow wow Deena! good job! You look fantastic! Love your hair too :)

TobyThin 03-24-2010 07:05 PM

Wow Deena, what a difference! You look super! I also love your hair.. You must be feeling great after losing all that weight..

Congratulations!
Toby

sarahinparis 03-29-2010 04:31 AM

you look fabulous girl!

brownsugababe 03-29-2010 08:04 AM

congratulations guys for loosing the weight. i've just started the atkins...5 days in now, first 2 days i felt terrible, major carb cravings! but now i know its only been a few days but the cravings are gone and don't feel hungry like i used too. i quite excited and keen to start losing the weight. i am 218 pounds and my goal is to lose 50 pounds. my worry is i tend to get bored with dieting easily when i don't see results, then i give up. but reading through what you all have achieved i'm quite optimistic about this diet.

marydd 08-01-2010 03:38 PM

Atkins vs crack the fat loss code

I've been on atkins for about 3 months and only lost 17 lbs I'm thinking about trying the crack the fat loss code did anyone ever hear of it and have any thoughts?

LTs girl 08-01-2010 05:47 PM

I bought the book and it went in the garbage. It was basically carb cycling. That's it. I couldn't stick with it....give me a carb and I'll go on a binge. lol.

sandyfanny 08-01-2010 08:06 PM

Me too!

Me too, Ltsgirl. I bought the book, read it, thought about it, tossed it in the free bin at the library...I can't cycle carbs. I truly believe I'm one of those carb intolerant, addicted people. I feel better and certainly eat healthier without them.

And Deena, you look amazing! Congratulations! :carrot:

SilverLife 08-08-2010 09:05 AM

Deena, congratulations on your success!

Deena52 08-09-2010 10:10 AM

Wow....thanks so much guys. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the congrats, etc.

For marydd......first of all, 17 lbs. in 3 months is not bad. How much weight did you want to lose and what was your starting weight? If I remember, the weight came off faster when I was really heavy....as if it was quite easy to get the excess to come off....but then it got more difficult as the amount of weight I wanted to lose became smaller and smaller. If I count back...I started in July and lost a total of 60 lbs. in a period of 9-10 months......so 17 lbs. in 3 months if not bad at all....and in fact, is about the same rate as mine was.

But....in terms of suggestions.....do you check your ketone levels with the ketone stix? My ketosis was the critical factor in determining how I was doing.....because unless you know Atkins inside and out and have LOTS of experience with it....it is very easy to eat something that may have had hidden carbs. Years ago, the first time I did Atkins....I remember several times when I did this....and not intentionally...believe me.

Now there are some people whose ketones don't register on the stix....Kim is an example of this...and I'm not sure why that happens.....but most people will register the ketones. As long as you are spilling ketones....you are losing weight. I evaluated by the ketones way more than I did the scale......because it all balances out....you'll see.

Atkins is actually fairly high calorie....but it's a metabolic diet, not a calorie-counting one. But if you accidentally eat something that has hidden carbs....you not only stop the ketosis for a period of time....but you can also gain a little....because without the ketosis...it turns into a calorie-counting diet for that period....and the calories can be high enough to gain.

Also....one thing thing I did do....but this was after I'd lost most of the weight....was calorie cycling. And it did help to speed things up. I did it accidentally the first time....but then realized what was happening. Doing calorie cycling while still on Atkins was quite effective.

deena :)