3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/)
-   -   New to forum but not to Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins/185000-new-forum-but-not-atkins.html)

Violet73 02-22-2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybjones (Post 3166541)
I don't think it is ever offensive when someone explains what they believe. Its when they start disecting other people's beliefs that it becomes a problem.

so true! I'm not Jewish...I was raised Baptist but I really don't know what category I'm in other than I BELIEVE in and LOVE GOD! Thats how I roll...but I don't judge people with their beliefs. All religions fascinate me. I am always curious to learn about them and will ask lots of questions.

HealthierLori 02-22-2010 05:23 PM

:wave::angel: Hi, Leslie!

You know, I was just thinking, I'll bet you've heard of the Book of Martyrs! Am I right? :) I was thinking you might have heard of that because the original Anabaptists who were in Switzerland about 500 or so years ago (600? Can't remember now) were the ancestors in a way of the Baptists theologically. And a lot of Baptist ministers know the history of the Anabaptist movement because of that because really it's part of Baptist history.

And the original Anabaptists had many leaders who were burned at the stake by the Catholic church at that time for being heretics. And the deaths of those leaders were recorded in "The Book of Martyrs."

I told a Baptist minister (elderly gentleman, had been a minister for many many decades and learned a lot over the years naturally about history and everything else) that a couple of my ancestors were in the book of Martyrs and he knew exactly what that was and what it meant.

Anyhow I was thinking maybe you would have heard of that too! :) I think most people haven't heard of that though.

Violet73 02-22-2010 05:32 PM

Lori...nope haven't heard of it. I've always gone to Southern Baptist Churches and while they are great....there is lacking in preaching about the history of the religion. I have visited other churches and like I said I am fascinated by other ways of worship. I dont actually have a certain category I fit in now...I just like to learn about it all :)

HealthierLori 02-22-2010 05:34 PM

Oh, well, it was a long shot. The Anabaptists believed in only adult baptism rather than infant baptism so they were philisophically the great-grandaddy of all the denominations who believe in adult baptism as opposed to infant baptism. :)

sarahinparis 02-22-2010 05:36 PM

Deena, congrats on making such a milestone of dropping into the FINAL weight decade!!! You're such an inspiration!

I agree w some of the above comments about Taubes (who is definitely getting a lot of love from me tonight in various posts).

What I think the biggest gift his book gave me was a true understanding of WHY I need to make certain food choices. With calorie counting or points or even fat counting it's just a random rule of what to follow. Any negative impact from a slip up is really in the future and pretty vague. Once you understand how the biochemistry of ketosis-level low carb diets work for weight loss, you understand how your choices affect your results and your progress. From there, being at peace with NOT eating the cake is easy. No bread? No problem.

I know there are a lot of people who want simpler answers than his book, and want to be told what to do with their eating, but there is a lot to be said for really understanding something -- makes putting it into action an act of easy integrity, not blind devotion.

HealthierLori 02-26-2010 02:35 PM

Oh, man, I really am getting dementia with the change of life. Thanks, Leslie. How embarrasing! I'm sorry, Deena!

honeybjones 02-26-2010 03:16 PM

Aren't the Anabaptists the forerunners to the Amish? Amish people are so cool. They really amaze and fascinate me as do Quakers as Mennonites (sp?) as well. I love documentaries and there is one on Shakers I really want to see. Also I would love to try an Amish restaurant. Gonna have to plan an "off-day" for that if I ever come across one.

Violet73 02-26-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HealthierLori (Post 3174299)
Oh, man, I really am getting dementia with the change of life. Thanks, Leslie. How embarrasing! I'm sorry, Deena!

Its ok! gosh....I'm the same way....its hard for me to keep track on here sometimes and the days of the week ;) glad to know someone else is the same :p

Violet73 02-26-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybjones (Post 3174370)
Aren't the Anabaptists the forerunners to the Amish? Amish people are so cool. They really amaze and fascinate me as do Quakers as Mennonites (sp?) as well. .

Me too! I love their simple way of life. I saw an interview Oprah did with one Amish family and it was great that they described their lives as "content". How many people these days can say that? Since being diagnosed with a chronic condition (that ticks me off) I have found appreciation in the smaller things in life. I see the little jonquil sprouts trying to come out of the ground now and it makes me smile cause I know spring is around the corner. Stop and smells the roses? nah...stop and smell the roses, jonquils, jasmine...everything! Yeah I'm still ticked off I have this but I am glad it has changed my outlook. BTW....Amish kids are always so well behaved in public.. I just love that!

honeybjones 02-26-2010 05:07 PM

Good gravy we could start our own Atkins Dieting With Obstacles group here. I can get really down about having chronic pain but dropping starches from my diet has really helped a lot. Still I get bad days...and weeks like I am having right now...and it all seems like too much to bear. However, I try to maintain the attitude that I am really lucky that I have chronic pain because some people have terminal illnesses , are in wheelchairs or have lost the mental functions. I'll take chronic pain over any of those. And I do get excited about the most mundane things like shopping for fabric or having friends over at my house. Call me easily entertained.

HealthierLori 02-26-2010 05:22 PM

Chronic pain isn't any fun at all. I've been having a flareup of my endometriosis over the past several days, my hormones must just be doing weird things again. But it's no big deal, I know it will pass. We just keep trudging along no matter what! :)

Yup, the Anabaptists spawned the Amish among other groups. My ancestors became Amish as soon as that group formed, and my great-grandmother was the last to live as an Amish lady. The rest of the family rejected that and became Catholic, except for my mother who, in honor of her Swedish father, became Lutheran.

It's really interesting, the origin of different denominations, different religions, etc.

Violet73 02-26-2010 06:12 PM

[QUOTE=honeybjones;3174528]Good gravy we could start our own Atkins Dieting With Obstacles group here
However, I try to maintain the attitude that I am really lucky that I have chronic pain because some people have terminal illnesses , are in wheelchairs or have lost the mental functions.[QUOTE]

I hear you on that. Lately though...Ive even considered the scooter at Walmart but I refuse for now. For now...I will hobble around here... I just really hate the stares when I limp at the store...but they can just the other way![/
About the fabrics...Do you sew? I never could sew...maybe a button! wish I could...just think of all the things to make!

Violet73 02-26-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HealthierLori (Post 3174550)
Chronic pain isn't any fun at all. I've been having a flareup of my endometriosis over the past several days, my hormones must just be doing weird things again. But it's no big deal, I know it will pass. We just keep trudging along no matter what! :)

Yup, the Anabaptists spawned the Amish among other groups. My ancestors became Amish as soon as that group formed, and my great-grandmother was the last to live as an Amish lady. The rest of the family rejected that and became Catholic, except for my mother who, in honor of her Swedish father, became Lutheran.

It's really interesting, the origin of different denominations, different religions, etc.

sorry you are going through that Lori....yep...we just keep trudging along dont we? :)

Very interesting family history you have there......some rebels in your ancestry huh? haha! I just love learning about that stuff.

honeybjones 02-26-2010 10:29 PM

I just started sewing in December but I'm told I am pretty good for a beginner. I enjoy it but I stress myself out because I want to do everything really well even though I say I am not a perfectionist--I am a good enoughist.

HealthierLori 02-27-2010 10:00 AM

That's so cool that you sew! I've seen people who sew be able to reupholster worn-out furniture, make beautiful curtains, etc. and I wished so much that I could sew so that I could do those things!

It can be frustrating when something creative you do, doesn't match the image you had in your head when you started. I do the same thing with my artwork, it's never as good as I had hoped it would be. But I still do it. Shrug.