Old 02-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

Congratulations, Deena! I am so inspired by you and also so happy for you! Great job! And the best part is that this isn't some diet you are counting the seconds to, to go off. Not something impossible and painful to do. You made it, you did it! And you will maintain! This is the best way of eating, I am sure of it! And it makes sense. My DH is now reading the Gary Taubes book on this and says as a scientist, it makes absolute sense to him that we run better/are healthier on the fuel that our ancestors ate for millions of years.

Good work, good for you!
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Awe, thanks Lori.

I'm so glad that you've gotten your husband to read the Taubes book and am thrilled to hear his opinion, especially because he has the education to be able to evaluate this. They seem to be seeing the logic of this for treating diabetes...but not so much for weight problems.

I actually love it in a way...because it is the TOTAL opposite of what they've been promoting for at least the last decade. I'm really gonna enjoy seeing how this eventually shakes things up.....and am sure hoping it will! And that I'll get to see it.

Plus, I would LOVE to see this help so many who I see struggling with WOE's that cause constant hunger, regaining the weight right back, getting frustrated, giving up, repeatedly going off plan, craving, binge-eating, etc.

Now that I understand the biochemistry so much better, I feel even worse than I did before when I see people struggling like that. It is probably SO unnecessary in so many of the cases.

And they blame themselves for emotional eating...which they may do....but they blame ALL of it on this....when the biochemistry may be working totally against them....and making it a hundred times more difficult for them to get control of it.

I absolutely not only plan to continue eating like this but I truly...and am being totally honest here....have absolutely NO inclination to want to even change anything, really. I love the way I eat and the way it makes me feel. I do not feel deprived and if anything, it's a huge relief to not have to deal with constant hunger, cravings and then the horrible self-recrimination when I'd binge during the late evening. I feel like a normal person eating this way. This WOE makes me feel the way I want to feel....not to mention look the way I want to look.

And learning all I am from the Taubes book has just made me even more convinced of the wisdom of this and makes me want to continue it even more.

I'm serious, Lori...right now my son has here...let me see....red licorice, Entenmann's pop-ems, cookies and chocolate ice cream. These things called out to me constantly prior to getting this diet to work for me. Since early last summer, these items have been in the house and not even remotely fazed or tempted me. They don't even whisper or talk to me at all. How amazing that is!
And all the sweets and junk here over the holidays....never even touched them. And felt NO deprivation.

I honestly don't even know what got into me. I suspect that because I was SO horrified of the excessive gain and because it took SO long for me to get Atkins to work for me again (almost 4 years), resulting in a feeling of having NO control.......I guess I was SO grateful to be ABLE to actually lose the weight that I was an instant devotee....totally dedicated to it. And I still am. I'd always taken for granted that diets would work for me....until they didn't. That I'd always have some degree of control over whether I had to stay fat or not...until I didn't. I think gratitude had a whole lot to do with it, to be honest. When I finally got the ketostix to turn on that early summer day....I got a whole new lease on life. It was like I'd been given my life back again. Doing Atkins was a breeze from then on. The tough part was getting it to work again.

I finally felt normal because I COULD actually get the diet to work and had some control. And now I feel even more normal because I finally look normal again.

I'm still gonna work on these last 4 or so pounds just for the heck of it....just to see if I can. But I'm not stressing over it, believe me. Maintenance is much more important.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #78  
Results Are Typical

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

It warms my little heart to see you did all this since October. Having just started and not setting a huge goal for myself make me feel like I too will be successful very soon.
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deena52 View Post
....and this is probably why I have NO problem eating plenty of fat....
Deena -- I have been reading through this thread and wanted to let you know that I am so glad you have taken the time to do these "internal dialogues" which are so helpful to others reading them.

Regarding the quote above, I am eating pretty high fat because I am low-carbing also, but I worry that eating high is really harmful to the heart. Heart disease runs in my family and I want to do everything I can to avoid it. For example, my brother, who has heart disease, is on a very low-fat diet with virtually no sat fat. He has had probably 5-6 stent operations in the past 10 years. There was only 1.5 years between the last almost-total blockage and the one that just occurred. But then I think ... if the "low-fat" diet is supposed to work, why isn't it working for him? You know, the old saying that madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

So I love low-carb, it gets rid of the cravings which can be my downfall. The only thing I worry about is the sat fat. But then I read this blog which pointed out a new study by an "anti-fat" researcher that came to the opposite conclusion -- that sat fat has absolutely no effect on heart disease. You can read the actual study by linking from the blog, but I like the guy, Dr. Stephan Guyenet (Ph.D. not MD) because he is a searcher and a researcher. He is not wedded to any particular theory if something disproves his current line of ideas. If only the medical community were so open-minded.

Also, an interesting (but frustrating) interview with Gary Taubes, Mehmet Oz and Andrew Weil.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:48 AM   #80  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthierLori View Post
My DH is now reading the Gary Taubes book on this and says as a scientist, it makes absolute sense to him that we run better/are healthier on the fuel that our ancestors ate for millions of years.
Thats awesome that he is involved in this with you Lori....when I was married my husband wouldn't walk with me for exercise. Also, i quit smoking and he still smoked. I didn't have any support in those areas. I still walked though and lost the weight. Even dating....it seems most men I have dated just aren't interested in taking care of their health.....and believe me they should have been. Weight on men is more accepted and that is a shame as it is not healthy for them. I'm glad your husband is reading about what you are doing. That can only help you on this journey
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #81  

Quote:
When I finally got the ketostix to turn on that early summer day....I got a whole new lease on life. It was like I'd been given my life back again. Doing Atkins was a breeze from then on. The tough part was getting it to work again.

I finally felt normal because I COULD actually get the diet to work and had some control. And now I feel even more normal because I finally look normal again.

I'm still gonna work on these last 4 or so pounds just for the heck of it....just to see if I can. But I'm not stressing over it, believe me. Maintenance is much more important.

deena
I loved having the ketostix change....you do feel in control when they change. I'm hoping mine will change again soon. You have really accomplished a lot deena and you are an inspiration!
Old 02-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #82  

Thanks everyone, I'm really excited that he is reading the book and he has been talking about it as he goes along. It's really amazing how bad the science was that said low-fat, high-carb should be the way to eat. I mean, ignoring the results of studies proving the opposite, not publishing them, the original proponents of this theory forcing it down our throats while all the while they were not doing science the way we think of it. And all these years and all this money trying to prove the link between saturated fat and heart disease and....nada. Trying soooooo hard to prove the dogma is correct and doing nothing but failing!

I sure hope the recommendations get revised soon because I also feel sorry for our struggling, sick, obese society, when the answer is so easy.

We have chocolate, syrup, etc. in the house and it doesn't call my name either....doesn't even seem attractive to eat anymore.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

YAY!! I am so happy to see so many visitors here!! I love visitors! Thanks so much you guys!

honeyb....I actually started (well, finally got the diet to actually start working) in early summer of '09 (so about 8 months ago) and I registered here at 3FC in October of '09, at which time I was about 165...so had lost approx. 30 lbs. Then lost another approx. 25+ lbs. since October. And amazingly...I should have normally slowed down during the second half...but my loss actually accelerated a bit (the first 30 in about 5 months but the second 25+ in less than 4 months)....and to be honest, I have to credit participating here on 3FC for that almost 100% (with just a tiny bit credited to a bit of calorie cycling...which I learned about here at 3FC). The friends, the support, the info and advice...it's just been fantastic. I love it here.
Plus...you don't have a little heart, honeyb...you have a BIG heart (not to mention, a great sense-of-humor)

CJZee.....Thank you so much. I'm often quite chagrined at how much I go on and on....pontificating on my soapbox. I'm so glad someone appreciates it/is interested in it. And I cannot thank you enough for those links. I cannot wait to go and click on them!! They sound just like what I love to check out!
Have you read anything regarding the latest Mayo Clinic study that showed no direct link between fat and heart disease? I had briefly heard it mentioned on CNN and then literally saw or heard nothing further....and I do check on the news regularly and have for years. I will have to go and search for this on the net to get the specific details....but interesting how they simply mentioned it in passing. You would think that should be pretty interesting news, wouldn't you?
I will post link(s) for you on this as soon as I track it down. My recollection is that it was a major study and very large.....with a high number of test subjects. Basically, that it met the specs for a significant study, the results of which should be seriously considered.

I totally agree with you and do Atkins for the exact same reason.....that my cravings and intense, constant hunger are gone. This is exactly what would defeat me on my other diet plans....and result in self-doubt and self-recrimination. What a cluster-F....to be suffering, hungry and feeling deprived, yet headed for failure, no matter what I did. Who in their right mind would want to put themselves through that? Just salivating at the thought of finally being able to go off the diet....and ruining any chance of maintaining right there, even if I did lose some weight.

I get so thrilled when I see others here low-carbing, I can't even tell you. Makes me cheer inside my head. The more people I see low-carbing here and the more who come to this Atkins forum, the happier I am. It was very quiet here back when I first registered in October and I'm so happy more have joined in.

LeslieLou.....My estranged husband also rarely did things with me. To this day, he has no idea how to work the washing machine or to even grocery shop. He is also an RN and back in the late 80's he developed sudden onset of insulin-dependent diabetes. Remembering back, we'd taken the boys to the beach and he didn't feel well....and he bought some of those diastix and showed sugar in his urine...then bought an accu-check and his sugar was in the 600's! He had to go on insulin immediately and later, several oral hypoglycemics were added (metformin is one of them...can't recall the other....avandia, possibly?)

So....he had been listening to this sports doctor named Jim Corea on the radio for a long time...and he revered the guy. And this doctor highly recommended complex carbs...low-fat and relatively low-protein (only fish and lean fowl...no red meat).....and I remember my husband going on this big granola kick for months...and I was horrified when I read the calorie and sugar stats on the packages. Hubby bought a whole lot of whole wheat bread and whole grain cereal, I remember.....but I was then doing Atkins and tried and tried to convince him that low-carbing was the way to go....that I felt sure he could decrease his insulin/oral hypoglycemic doses....but he ignored me. And remember....he's an RN...so should have been able to comprehend this stuff on a technical level....if only he'd been willing to even listen.
In addition to that....he was hospitalized around that time for angina/chest pain, and it was discovered that he had an enlarged heart (cardiomegaly) and hypertension...and was put on norvasc...and one or two other meds.

Now...to be fair...he's also been an alcoholic for many years (an angry alcoholic) and so the alcohol, I'm sure, has been a huge factor in his declining health at the age of only 55 right now. BUT, his diet was also a huge factor, IMO. Oh, and BTW, this Jim Corea, the sports doctor, dropped dead of a heart attack/massive MI years ago.

And my husband always WAS interested in health issues related to himself. He was an avid walker and went out walking every single day....and this was why he listened so religiously to Jim Corea on the radio. Unfortunately....he set his mind on a particular set of recommendations and never had an open mind for new info...esp. info that might contradict his entrenched beliefs. And the thing is, he certainly was intelligent enough to have recognized how much the diabetes issue was growing to massive epidemic proportions. He worked in the hospital (and still does, I presume) for years and years...and the evidence was right there to clearly see.

And I think I already told the story, on my thread here, about my very healthy brother-in-law, a marathon runner.....and a radiologist (so went to medical school)....who insists on believing that low-fat is the way to go to prevent heart disease (he has a fear of this, due to his father dying of an MI in his 70's).....and in fact, has prescribed himself statins. And there is a whole array of negative side-effects of these statins, if you check them out. His wife (my sister), on the other hand, avidly keeps up with the latest medical/nutrition podcasts.....and believes in low-carbing...and basically in the theories Taubes set forth in his book. She just rolls her eyes and shakes her head at her husband's belief and that he refuses to contemplate they might be incorrect.

Back to hubby for a minute....he would go out and walk daily, then have breakfast somewhere....then go sit in his car, listen to the radio, and drink (Coors Light, mainly). Later, he would arrive home, intoxicated and often angry....with an armload of fast food, which he would quickly demolish (pizza, McDonald's, hot wings, subs, etc.)...and would then follow that up with several PB&J sandwiches (on his wholewheat bread...oh, and always diet coke).......and eventually, go to bed and pass out.....and wake up sober late at night, shower and go to work. My whole married life was all about keeping peace in the house, at any cost, for my sons.

Being a nurse, he knew how to adjust his own insulin, to cover himself for these daily carb binges/gluts. He knew enough medical info to be dangerous...because he was not open-minded about the best and latest treatments.

The story of what led to me being separated (since late '05) is a sad one..our youngest son was killed in a MVA, hubby's drinking escalated to a dangerous level and my other 2 sons made me leave...best thing I ever did. But while it's sad, it's also got an inspiring message (well, so far at least) in terms of how we managed to make good come from a bad situation, my sons and I. So if anyone ever wants to hear the story, let me know. But the reason I mention it is that I avoid seeing or speaking with him at this time (due to him showing up drunk any time I agreed to be friendly and meet, etc.) but due to circumstances, I have been under the impression (from a few of his siblings) that his health is NOT good and has been deteriorating. His sister can't even believe he's still managing to get to work and he's had to deal with DUI issues since we left.

Anyhoo, LeslieLou (lol, it rhymes)......that is my sad husband story, in a nutshell. I could count on one hand the number of times we actually did anything together, just the two of us.

And finally, for Lori.....and BTW, I want to tell you, Lori, how much I appreciate the fact that I can count on you to be here every day. You are a huge source of support for me and for everyone else here on this Atkins forum.
And again, I am thrilled that your husband is reading the book and telling you his thoughts regarding it. Being totally honest here...I am generally quite a skeptical person, I swear. I am NOT the type who gets sucked-into or gloms onto any new theory coming down the pike. If anything, I am the total opposite. It is only when something makes total sense to me....that I will be in the mind-frame of considering it seriously and wanting to learn more and more.

BUT...even knowing this about myself....it still makes me feel MUCH better to know that your husband, who has the knowledge and background to understand this book....sees it from the same perspective that I (and we) do. It really reinforces for me that I was viewing it in the right way and in the open-minded way I've hoped I've been doing. Please continue to share his thoughts on the book. I really want to know everything he says regarding it and regarding anything he reads in it.

And finally...for real this time .....I don't even want to post here what my weight was this morning. Let's just say (and here is a "TMI ALERT!").....my stomach was acting up and I spent quite a bit of time in the bathroom very early this morning.......and the results of that showed on the scale (literally mere millimeters from goal)................because I am absolutely SURE that there is NO way I lost several pounds overnight and this is a temporary optical illusion due to my body sorting itself out after my morning in the bathroom. I have IBS, as do many in my family (we're Jewish...goes with the territory ) so I'm accustomed to this......though it only happens on occasion. I definitely feel like I dropped a ton of liquid/water and the fluid balance needs to be sorted out here.....and the scale will show my real/actual weight in a day or so.

And shoot...I don't want to jump to goal this fast! That's gonna take away all the fun I'm having getting there now that I have all you guys on the forum here. This makes it so much fun than it was just doing it by myself. I'm not ready to be the maintenance gal quite yet.
I really appreciate you guys so much!

But I definitely feel sure that I've dropped below 140...which IS the big deal for me. I'm guessing I'm around 139.0 right now....REAL weight....so 4 lbs. or so to go. DON'T RUSH ME, SCALE! Let me enjoy the last leg of this journey.

deena

Oh...and I promise I will get new pics taken and post them here. I poked around and actually found an old pair of lady's jeans (usually wear men's) in size 10...that not only fit me but are a bit loose!!! I am sure I was born no less than a size 10......it's the lowest size I EVER remember wearing (I'm big boned...hands like a peasant, I'm serious). And what's fantastic is now I don't have to wash and dry that one and only pair that fit me....I now have 2 pair that I can alternate...giving me plenty of time to get more at the thrift shop.
So I WILL get pics for you to show you. PROMISE.

Last edited by Deena52; 02-22-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #84  
Results Are Typical

Quote:
we're Jewish...
You're Jewish? I'm Jewish too! Go us!
Old 02-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #85  

Hey, I'm not officially Jewish because it's only relatives on my Dad's side, but my name is a name that is common in Israel - Leora. It means "my light" or something like that, I'm told. Leora is my real name, but I go by "Lori" most of the time because that was the nickname that my family called me.

Oh, Leslie, your story of living with an angry alcoholic makes my heart ache for you and for your sons. And I guess I feel sorry for your ex too because it's a disease and he wasn't able to get free of the disease.

I know about the violence and the fear for your life and hiding and tiptoeing so that you won't make any noise so you will be safe. Never knowing if this will be the day when he will finally go completely crazy and use his handguns to kill you as you sleep just for the sheer meanness of it. Hoping (as a daughter) you can get to 18 and keep him off of you even though he keeps trying to have sex with his daughters.

I know about all of that h@e@l@l.

I'm sorry you lived through that. I am glad you are free now. Al-Anon, if you ever feel like checking it out, is a wonderful resource to help people heal from the effects of living in that situation. In fact I really should still be going to meetings but I just hate to leave my DH in the evenings because he hates to be alone...

I am so happy for you that you are so close to your goal and that you've broken the plateau! I think that is wonderful! This summer you will be able to wear any outfit you'd like to and feel comfortable and confident and happy when you see yourself in the mirror! That's wonderful!

I'm built different than you are, I tend to carry my weight mostly below my waist. Although at 163, I have excess fat pretty much everywhere at the moment. But it will be spent bit by bit over the next year or two, and I can be patient!

I also have very short legs, especially my thighs. I think it's partly because of the weird genetics on my Mom's side of the family...I had a genetic disorder where my legs were very curved and the tendons were too lose (EDS I think is the abbreviation, I also have double-jointed joints and I can touch my nose with my tongue and I have problems with bad veins/weak veins) Well anyway the doctors thought maybe I'd never be able to walk so they put me in a cast when I was about 6 months old, for a little over a year, and the cast was from my hips on down. So for over a year of when I was supposed to be growing my bones, the casts were there preventing my legs from growing the right way.

So I ended up with legs that are probably about two inches shorter than they should have been. So from my hips on up, I look like a person who should be about 5'7" or 5'8". Instead I'm 5'5" with legs that are so short, that if my back touches the back of a sofa, most of the time my legs are sticking straight out because the seat of the sofa is too long for my thighs. So in order to bend my legs, I have to sit a bit forward.

Now just imagine this body - super-short legs (petite pants are the right length for me) and very big booty but a small waist. Super-curvy. My hips are literally 13 inches bigger than my waist. And that ratio doesn't change a huge amount when I gain weight or lose weight. Stays pretty close to the same.

Buying jeans is a nightmare for me. And I'm from Montana. Well, I was an Army brat so I'm from everywhere, but my Mom was from Montana. It's part of our culture to wear jeans most of the time. People go to weddings, funerals, and church in blue jeans. I would love to have a more normal shape, so that it wouldn't be so darn hard to find jeans that fit me.

So my idea of success, my dream of losing another 23 lbs., will be to see myself walking and not seeing this gigantic thighs lumbering towards the mirror, LOL. I am jealous of women who have slender legs because I will never have slender legs, even if I were to reach starvation levels I think. Oh, well, LOL.

I love coming here and see you and others posting too. It just seems like a nice, supportive place, these boards.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #86  
cher37

Quote:
Hey, I'm not officially Jewish because it's only relatives on my Dad's side...
Me too My sister & I are 1st generation Canadian - my dad was born in a DP camp right after the war ended - the family immigrated to Canada when my dad was 16 - they never talked much about our history - all I know is we're originally Polish/Russian Jewish descendants.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #87  
Results Are Typical

I follow the Reform movement and we don't care if your mom or dad was Jewish or if no one was (very open to converts). We would love to have anyone who wants to be a part of us.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #88  

Oh, that's cool! I'm sort of "spiritual but not religious" but my family is Lutheran and I went to that church now and again so that's what I say I am. I have to say I like the commercials the ELCA has been running lately. You know, the ones saying "doing God's work with our hands" and showing the soup kitchens etc. I actually helped serve at a lot of Agape meals over the years. But I'm just not really a church-y type of person, if that makes any sense. I mean I don't know if I'm comfortable joining anything. I'm kind of a loner.

But I believe in the Light. And I believe that every single one of us goes home to the Light after we leave this world.

Oh, man, I'm probably violating the TOS here, or am I? I don't remember. Is this post too religious or anything? I hope it isn't. I'm not meaning it to be an offensive or controversial thing. I hope it's not a bad post.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #89  
Results Are Typical

I don't think it is ever offensive when someone explains what they believe. Its when they start disecting other people's beliefs that it becomes a problem.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #90  

Quote:

Oh, Leslie, your story of living with an angry alcoholic makes my heart ache for you and for your sons. And I guess I feel sorry for your ex too because it's a disease and he wasn't able to get free of the disease
Lori..I think you meant Deena! My ex wasnt an alcoholic he was just lazy. lol