Old 12-14-2009, 04:43 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I think sometimes we put much too much credibility in the scale. In fact it's our behaviors of eating, exercise & motivation that determine long term success. Sometimes the scale matches up, sometimes it doesn't. Did you ever cheat on a diet & feel like there was something wrong when you got on the scale & saw no effect? Same can happen in reverse - scale moving for no apparent reason but you're doing everything you should be. Which is more right? The scale? In my opinion, what matters is the BEHAVIOR.

I've had that happen many times -- maybe a bit less on low carb eating, but I have never felt the scale was completely reflective of my current behavior. I suspect w eating low carb there can be hidden carbs that add to bloat much faster than on some other eating plans -- but with patience & persistency you can almost always beat them.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

OK.....so today the scale reads 152.2.....making it clear, yet again, that if I stick to plan (and don't let daily scale aberrations get me frustrated)....the overall picture continues to show consistent success. From the wide perspective, it looks good. From the day-to-day perspective, it can be frustrating. And...the important issue here is that on those frustrating days...when the scale seems to have a mind of its own....it's important to not allow this to derail you or get you off plan...and we need to remind ourselves, on these days.....that, like sarahinparis wrote...it is the behavior (sticking to plan) and not what the scale might say on any given day.

I can't wait to get the Taubes book because there are so many odd events noted while on this diet. For instance, when experiencing what seems to be a possible stall, events will happen where I am so tied-up that I will forget to eat all day and a few days of this (less calories than I should be getting)....may just cause a sudden drop in the scale..................OR, it could cause the opposite.
There would seem to be 2 principles at work here. 1) one will inevitably lose some weight when calories are restricted/lowered...BUT, 2) inadequate calorie intake will slow down metabolism and be counterproductive for weight loss. And it's fascinating for me to observe these things and would love to know more of the science behind it. Why the body decides to go with one of the principles on one day but then goes with the opposite one on another day (?)

Another thing that intrigues me is why *I* must stick to the diet very religiously AND must be spilling ketones (per the ketostix) in order for me to be successful at maintaining the weight loss.....yet others can have success without being so rigid....or even without showing ketosis per the sticks.

Earlier today, on the yahoo main page, there was a link to an article claiming that 5 foods avoided during dieting can actually be foods that can help with weight loss. And those 5 foods were: bread, pasta, potatoes, cheese and dark chocolate. And there were explanations for how and why each of these can help one lose weight.

However....I could assure the author of that article that this would NEVER work for me (with the exception of a limited amount of the 4th item, cheese). There is absolutely NO way I can lose weight while eating bread, pasta, potatoes.....that's for sure. I've experimented extensively and used all sorts of trial and error and low carbing is really the only thing that will work for me, at this point. My body just does not seem to want to go into weight loss mode on any other plan...............and I'm interested to try to learn why.

I mean, words cannot adequately explain or describe the sheer **** and repeated frustrating tries, at 195 lbs.....for 4 years! And then suddenly, I figure out how to get Atkins to work again (lose the artificial sweeteners) and voila! SUCCESS! And FINALLY, after 4 years of frustration and misery, I feel normal again.

And speaking of that.....and I know this is probably a hot-button issue....but I'm really curious to know what other's opinions are regarding the question: Can you be fat and happy? What do you think?

*I* can't....I'll confess to that right off the bat. I'm not saying I am miserable 100% of the time (in general) when I'm fat. But I AM 100% miserable about BEING fat when I am....fat.

Yet, there are many conflicting opinions on this. Of course, in my case....because of how I feel...I tend to not be able to understand how someone can feel differently. So it is very possible that my suspicions...that they are NOT actually as happy as they claim to be....could be totally wrong...because I'm basing this on how *I* feel and not everyone is me.

I'm honestly trying to be totally objective here...and not prejudicial. CAN a person be fat and be totally happy and not bothered by it? One of the things that I think may contribute to the fact that *I* cannot may be that I've not been fat for most of my life. I've experienced most of my life at a relatively normal weight. So that may be why...when I am fat...I am just miserable about it. Because the contrast is so glaring for me. I'm just speculating here....but I've wondered about how much this may factor in. That if I'd been really heavy my entire life, I might be more oblivious of it....and more accepting of myself that way.

I'd be really interested to know what others think about this question. And I don't mean that a fat person has to be totally miserable that way. What I mean is....can a person be fat and be totally happy with that? What do you think?

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #33  

Woo....scale said 152.9 this morning but it did that once before and then bounced back up again. So I don't even count or set my heart on lower weights until I have clearly stabilized at that lower number. I get much less frustrated by just expecting the numbers to bounce around......and as long as they trend downwards, when looking at the big picture....it's fine.

It was really weird......I had a dream last night where I got on the scale and it read 195 lbs. but I looked in the mirror and I looked the same as I do now (at a much lower weight)....and in my dream, I was puzzled over how this could possibly be.

The thing is, I get the sense that there is some underlying issue that made me dream this....though I'm not altogether sure what that is. One issue may be that there are times when I have a bit of difficulty figuring out if I look better in the mirror or not....or more like, to what degree I look better. I know, of course, that I look much better....but often, I can't figure out if what I'm seeing in the mirror....looks normal, still a little heavy....or what. Another issue that could have factored in may be this situation with the scale bouncing around. Like sarahinparis said, I think....it's more about what you SEE in the mirror and how your clothing fits, not what the number on the scale happens to be on any given day. But....the insecurity of knowing that the scale could inexplicably shoot up any day is still a bit disconcerting, even though I know to expect it. Intellectually, I expect and understand it (to a degree) but emotionally, it's still a bit rattling when it happens.

The reason the scale was lower this morning, I believe, is that my dad and I had a million errands to run yesterday and I really didn't get all my calories in, having basically missed lunch altogether. The thing is, though....this could easily turn around and make me spike a little gain again....due to insufficient calories possibly slowing down my metabolism....I'll have to wait and see how this affects it this time. You just never know how the body is gonna decide to react to these sorts of events....very unpredictable....though I'm hoping the Taubes book will clarify some of this for me.

deena
Old 12-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #34  

Scale said 151.9 this morning.....but I am not changing anything here (ticker, current weight) for a while....because the number 152 still has me spooked....because of the recent incident where I was weighing 152 and suddenly shot up to 157 for no apparent reason.

I'm not altogether sure, at this point, what it will take for me to feel confident that I am stable at 152 lbs. Maybe when the scale begins to dip into the 140's? I'll have to see. Also, my 34" waist jeans are getting a bit loose on me...which is good but also a hassle in that I just recently replaced all the 36" jeans in my closet with 34" ones. I think I was up to 38" jeans at 195 lbs...either that or 40"....can't quite remember...but I was so disgusted with myself that I only had ONE pair of jeans that I wore constantly....until they totally wore out and I"d be forced to go and get ONE more pair. NOW, I actually have a bit of a wardrobe.

And yet again...this shows the loss of inches in the right places on Atkins....I should not be anywhere NEAR getting close to fitting into 32" jeans being still in the 150's. Just amazes me how much better the inches come off on this plan.

Well.....I am still reading about the different diets here....many of them ones I'd never heard of. Today I was reading about the Accu weight loss diet using acupressure beads. Very interesting. Basically, it seems to me that it's a very low calorie diet but the beads are supposed to control your hunger. And no meat is allowed...it's mainly veggies and dairy products (milk and yoghurt) and you can only eat between 12 noon and 6 pm. The diet seems way too restrictive to me....I know, I know, I'm an Atkins snob......but I am interested to learn whether the acupressure beads actually work to stop hunger. NOT for me to use, as I'm not hungry on Atkins.....but I'm just curious about it....in the context of Chinese medicine.

I'm also sort of subconsciously trying to track trends, as I read here, regarding which diets seem more successful than others and which ones seem to result in maintaining better than others...so I can develop some theories about this. That's just me.....I ALWAYS become overly-fascinated with anything I'm involved in.

deena
Old 12-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #35  

OK, this morning the scale said 152.3 lbs....so maybe I can begin to consider that I AM possibly stabilizing at this new number...the 152-153 range. Also, I weigh-in wearing flannel tie-waist pants and a sweatshirt (my "pajamas" during the winter)....but amazingly, those only seem to weigh a few ounces, at the most.

We are having a nor'easter here and it's snowing like crazy....our first BIG snow this year. I went out walking in it this morning....while it was only 2-3 inches....before it could get much deeper. It was pretty easy until I turned around to return home and the snow was blowing right in my face....I had to pull my scarf up over my nose and mouth...brrr. I definitely think walking in the snow burns more calories than regular walking (with no snow)....kinda like walking on the beach/sand takes more effort than walking on the sidewalk does. Also cleaned off my car when I got home....though I'm sure it's covered back up now.

I fell victim to listening to my dad yesterday....for some stupid reason (I should have known better and checked the weather forecast myself)....when he told me it was supposed to start snowing during the night BUT "less than one inch". I don't know where in the heck he got that from....BUT, we have plenty of food here, etc....so no harm done by not knowing about this coming until we were already well into it.

I pretty much have my standard list of my Atkins foods I buy at the grocery store every week memorized and don't even need a list any more...chicken, fish, veggies, cheese, eggs. Occasionally I'll buy something different...beef, an unusual veggie or different type of cheese...just for variety. Actually, I stock up on fish (salmon and tilapia) at Costco about every 3 months....cut the salmon into portions and then put them and individual tilapias into freezer bags....and we have a second freezer in my dad's closet. Occasionally, at the regular grocery store, I'll get something different...flounder or shrimp, etc...for variety.

Here's another tip....at least for me...I always try to NEVER eat until I'm stuffed. I've learned that even in ketosis on Atkins, if I stretch my stomach, I will get hungry again rather quickly. On the rare occasions I've done this, I've sworn not to repeat it. NOW...when I make an omelet or steamed broccoli with cheese....I will eat only half and save the rest....and eat it later. I would stuff myself not because I was THAT hungry but because I felt obligated to finish what I'd prepared....which I realized was stupid....and counter-productive. It also helped when I read...either in someone's post here or in someone's blog here...who's doing Atkins....that they only ate things to satisfaction...then saved the rest until they were hungry later....a "lightbulb over the head" moment for me. You'd think I'd have figured this out for myself early on.

I've just been learning SO much from reading here (right now, I'm reading several blogs simultaneously)....and learned lots of helpful tips. The whole alternating caloric intake thing....which I honestly think is helping me continue to lose consistently even though I'm within about 17 lbs. of goal (and I set my goal at my "I wish" level, not at the level that's been my "normal weight" most of my adult life, 140 lbs....and I'm within 12 lbs. of THAT weight).....because often, you can hit many plateaus when getting close to goal...but so far, so good. And I really am thinking it's alternating calories that's doing it. Like I said, I only discovered that I was doing it by accident...by reading about it here...and now I am utilizing the tip. It knocked me out of my last plateau, I'm fairly sure.

I kinda wish I'd found this site sooner and had a blog going from the beginning....and could have logged-in my daily menus, etc....so it would give a good idea of day-to-day Atkins. Alas...kinda late to be starting a blog now....THOUGH, maybe one on how to MAINTAIN the weight loss on maintenance Atkins might be a good theme. My one big problem is that I don't know how to post photos and pics....and a blog would be pretty hum-drum without them, I think. What I need to do is to learn how to post photos and pics by the time I hit goal and then maybe start a maintenance blog.

Hmm....I'm really worrying about my son driving into work this afternoon. Most of eastern PA has declared a snow emergency and we live fairly close to Philly...right over the border. I have massive anxiety over this, esp. since I lost my youngest son in an auto accident. I'm a basket case if my sons have to drive in bad weather now. I keep hoping they will close the mall where he works today. He's really upset because he and his GF have tickets to the Eagles game tomorrow and this snow has thrown a huge monkey-wrench into their plans (she bought him the tickets for his birthday earlier this month)....and he's really been looking forward to this game.

OK...time to go and read some other threads now...I've babbled on enough.

deena

Last edited by Deena52; 12-19-2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: wrote 102.3 instead of 152.3 (I WISH it was that low)
Old 12-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #36  

Scale is 151.8 this morning. Think I'm gonna have to change some numbers here soon. (ticker, CW) Have lost almost 45 lbs....and boy, I feel SO much better.

Why am I up so early? Because my cat always gets in my bed and starts tapping me with her paw to tell me she's hungry....and keeps it up until I get up.

We are pretty much snowed in here. I'm thinking of going out for a walk in a bit but am wondering if the snow is nice and fluffy like it was yesterday or whether it got frozen and hard overnight. The frozen and hard stuff is very slippery and makes it hard to walk....so I'm hoping it's still fluffy. At least I don't have to worry about driving snow blowing in my face today....as it finally stopped and the sun is coming out. But if the temperature doesn't go up...this snow could hang around for days. They barely plow in the city here.

They changed the Eagles game to 4:15 pm (from 1:00) and have no idea if my son and his GF are going to attempt the drive to Philly today. I don't even want to know, to be honest. It will stress me out way too much, worrying. He stayed at her place last night, which was the original plan but turned out to be an even better plan since she lives much closer to where they work than we do here....and it was much safer for him to not attempt to drive home last night.
Of course, I imagine I-95 is probably pretty clear...they always keep that plowed. It just looks so treacherous looking out the window here...but the roads he'll take will be much better, hopefully.

My brother who lives in Rockville Center, NY has season tickets but I'm thinking he may not drive down due to the weather....not sure if it's still snowing up there or not this morning.

I'm kinda disappointed as I was planning to go to Borders this weekend to get the Taubes book....but the snow blew that plan. Wish I'd gotten it earlier in the week but had to drive my dad all over the place.

I ALWAYS keep plenty of Atkins-approved food here....just in case I can't get to the store.....and right now, it would be almost impossible to get there. This way I never have to worry and can stay on plan, no matter what the weather does.

Oooh, the sun is REALLY shining out there today....it will be a good day for a walk, it's looking like.
Just have to bundle up good.

deena
Old 12-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Deena - Enjoy the snow. It just missed us and it looks like it will just miss us next week too. I would love to have snow for Christmas, but looks like rain for us. Stay safe and hope you brother and kiddos stay safe driving.
Great having your Atkins foods on hand for such cases.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:44 AM   #38  

Wow, Deena, sounds like it is indeed time to change the ticker to a new weight range of around 152 - congrats!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #39  

Hi Sarah and Trish!

Whew...151.5 lbs. this morning. I think I know how to change the CW part in the left-hand column but for the ticker, I'll have to get my son to help me change that. He's the one who got me the ticker here, after I repeatedly failed miserably to get it to show up on my posts. I was able to make it...but then could not seem to get it to show on my posts....and he had to bail me out.

I'm seriously thinking that unintentional calorie shifting is what's probably responsible for me being on this losing trend right now. I ended up eating less than normal calories on certain days simply due to being so busy....so I was alternating regular caloric intake with lower caloric intake, just by coincidence. And then I read about it here and made the correlation. I'd venture a guess that you do have to alternate....as continued lower calorie intake would just slow down the metabolism.

It was funny....turns out, my son and his GF DID drive all the way up to Philly for the Eagles game...then he drove her all the way home, turned around and drove all the way back here and THEN called and woke me up...from the parking lot here...because due to all the snow, he couldn't find a parking space. After all that driving....his biggest problem was trying to park HERE.
I told him to go behind our building where they had plowed a space in the middle....so he's not exactly IN a parking spot but he is safely parked.
Oh, and my brother in NY did NOT drive down. My oldest son texted the other son and told him my brother sold the tickets as he did not want to drive down in all the snow. Good decision, IMO.

I think we may be snowed in here for days...at least my dad and I. I have a little Mazda that is NOT good in snow....and older me is also no longer good at driving on slippery roads...too nervous now....plus my car is just totally snowed in and we don't have a snow shovel, living in a condo.
Luckily, there is a gas station that sells some grocery staples that is within reasonable walking distance.....but also sells a ton of junk, as most convenience stores do.....so we're okay for a few days but hopefully....the snow, at least on the roads, etc....will melt soon so I can drive to the store again.
The good thing, though, is that I'll get to eat all my produce here. I buy myself a great deal of produce and sometimes don't get to eat it all before it starts to wilt....but with being snowed-in, I'll be limited to what I have here so will be able to finish it, I'm pretty sure. Of course, things like cheese and eggs keep for a pretty long time...so no worries there. Meat and fish I freeze in individual servings. It's just the fresh produce....I often get carried away with all the beautiful veggies in the produce section and get more than I can eat.

I'm really frustrated that I didn't get that Taubes book last week...I'm getting obsessed with wanting to read it. I'm really becoming fascinated with the science behind metabolism variations and diet....I would like to crack the fat loss code myself...esp. in terms of helping women and esp. older women....when it gets more and more challenging.

I have a tendency, possibly because I was a nurse, to start tracking clinical patterns and this site is a goldmine due to the sheer number of stories (individual case studies, if you will) and the sheer variety of different diets utilized here. Message boards with many members can provide a wealth of information...REAL info, not just scientific info...in terms of observing clinical patterns in real life and tracking them....and analyzing the results. I've really become fascinated with reading about the variety of diets that are based on the Atkins/low carb model....and then tracking which ones seem to work better....and why. At the moment, I'm interested in this "crack the fat loss code" variation.....where the first week is almost exact Atkins induction....but then carbs are added back in....and in a cycling fashion.

I have to try hard, though, to remain objective....because at this point in my life....that particular model would never work for me (with my older, altered metabolism). My ketosis and my weight loss would stop once I added the additional carbs...whether I cycled them or not. I know....I had FOUR years to study myself with this, using trial and error. Just a few additional packs of Splenda threw the entire diet off....and even made me gain weight. BUT....I have to observe objectively and not project my own situation or experience into the results.

Like I've mentioned before...THIS is the big question: Does my experience MEAN something? In terms of cracking the metabolism/weight loss challenge? Or does my experience only apply to certain individuals...who are like me? Or apply JUST to me? (because my metabolism is just weird?) WHY does this diet work so well for me and not for others? Why can others do great on calorie-counting plans but for me, they NEVER work? Why can others add a few more carbs in and still lose weight...but I can't?

OK...gonna go get dressed and take a little walk out there, as the sun is shining now.....and if I don't get out a little every day, I'll start to get cabin fever being stuck in here.

deena
Old 12-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #40  

Deena Congratulations on the loss. You are doing great. I too always wondered why other people could lose better than me. Then I read The Metabolism Miracle Diet and she says there are 2 types of metabolisms. She calls those people who lose very well on calorie diets Metabolism A and she calls those of us who have to do low carb diets Metabolism B. When I read her book, I agreed with that theory completely. I have not read or heard of the Taubes book or theory. I do believe that as time goes by they will begin to learn more and more about low carbing and why some of us have to do it.

The only reason I didn't go with MM is because I didn't want to do all that work and have to eat carbs every 5 hours. Might be an option in the future, but I'm just afraid to eat the carb breads etc at this time. I decided that any low carb plan works, but it only works if it is onw I can get on and stay on.

Glad all your loved ones are in place and safe.

You have a nice day.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #41  

Deena I Googled Taube and copied the 33 page interview he did. A lot of what he says is what I've suspected for a long time. I've read a little over half of it and found it to be really great information. The book sounds like it might be a lot of technical stuff. So maybe when you get to read it, you can share it with us on here.

My 4th day turned out absolutely wonderful. I have to say that I am really enjoying it. Now that I understand the program better, it reminds me of the original diet plan I did years ago in Overeater's Anonymos. They had what they called the gray sheet and the orange sheet. The gray sheet was strictly low carb although they did allow some fruit. And the orange sheet allowed one piece of whole wheat toast for breakfast. I did the gray sheet and everyone in my group was amazed that I could do it without going off plan. I stalled a lot, but never knew why I still did not lose as quickly as the others, but I always felt terrific. They changed their diet plans just before I left the program. My sister called me and told me to get off the plan because a lot of them in her group were getting kidney or bladder infections. Years later, I thought how could meat, fruit and veggies cause these types of infections. Then I realized those people were living on diet drinks. It was all those diet drinks causing their problems, not the low carbing.

You hear so much about low carb not being good for the kidneys. Years ago, I had a cousin who was put on dialysis and they put her on a low carb diet. That was when I realized that someone was not giving us all the information correctly. What I read of Taube's interview tells me why.

Might end up trying to get the book any way. I'll have to see.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:29 AM   #42  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Deena The book sounds like it might be a lot of technical stuff.
The book is very technical & scientific....it lengthly explains low carb eating....but, in my opinion, its not an easy read.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:37 AM   #43  

Hi everyone. Sorry for the absence...one of my brothers died on Monday. He was only 54 years old and we don't know what the cause was yet. We are getting ready to travel to NYC for the funeral tomorrow morning. Then we sit shiva for a week....and then I'll be back...I promise.

Weight this morning was 149.8....probably due to not eating enough calories due to the stress of this.

deena

Oh....and I ordered the Taubes book from Amazon.com earlier this week so should be getting it soon. I'm hoping my nurse's training (anatomy and physiology, etc.) will help me with comprehension.

And Patti.....one of the main reasons that rumor about kidney disease circulates is that so many people believe you only eat meat on Atkins. Theoretically HUGE amounts of protein could overwork your kidneys due to nitrogen overload. But the reality is that we eat normal amounts of protein on Atkins and there is NO direct risk of kidney failure or kidney problems of any sort.

Last edited by Deena52; 12-26-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:59 AM   #44  

I found the book really great and while it's technical, I don't think it's too difficult, it's just very scientific - so kind of dry & repetitive. Taubes is a real hard core reporter who was really trying to put forth some arguments that he knew would be attacked, so he does a lot of pre-emptive explaining -- making the book dense at points. If you like science at all & are really interested in diet & metabolism (and some conspiracy theory) it's a good read. Not easy necessarily, but good.

Here is a link to a discussion forum focused on the book for those who want more info without investing the time to read it themselves :
http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.co...lay.php?fid=14
Old 12-29-2009, 09:18 PM   #45  

Here are my before and now photos. The before photo is blurry because my sister did this for me and she took a photo of a photo. The second two she actually took AS photos. That's my dad on the left....pretty dapper for being in his 80's.

OK....have had family here all day and I'm exhausted. Will catch up and write more tomorrow, hopefully.

Deena

Shoot...showed up in the preview but not here. I'll have to see if my son can figure out how to do this for me. I'm lost.

Last edited by Deena52; 12-29-2009 at 09:19 PM.