Old 08-30-2009, 02:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/178/130

Height: 5'8"

Default Low carb @ Starbucks?

What low carb drinks are there at Starbucks?
CaptainKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #2  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

I'm not very familiar with the Starbucks menu, but I would venture that any coffee drink with just cream and artificial sweeteners would be ok

Just no sweetened whipped cream, chocolate syrup or real sugar sweetened syrups, that kind of stuff.

If you find caffeine is making your blood sugar drop and causing hunger/wooziness, you may want to go the decaf route. Atkins was not a big caffeine fan, and forbid it in Induction (maybe throughout weight loss? I am not sure.) I myself drink regular coffee with heavy cream and a single packet of Equal in the morning... and don't feel I suffer any ill effects from it
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Caffeine is a no-no on Atkins. It causes blood sugar to spike & that causes cravings. If you must have coffee, decaf would be the way to go....with heavy cream & Splenda (those are Atkins friendly).
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Caffeine is a no-no on Atkins. It causes blood sugar to spike & that causes cravings. If you must have coffee, decaf would be the way to go....with heavy cream & Splenda (those are Atkins friendly).
I know but I'm not quite sure that's possible for me. I figure if I still have the caffeinated stuff and it's low carb I'll be okay.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkshireGrl View Post
I'm not very familiar with the Starbucks menu, but I would venture that any coffee drink with just cream and artificial sweeteners would be ok

Just no sweetened whipped cream, chocolate syrup or real sugar sweetened syrups, that kind of stuff.

If you find caffeine is making your blood sugar drop and causing hunger/wooziness, you may want to go the decaf route. Atkins was not a big caffeine fan, and forbid it in Induction (maybe throughout weight loss? I am not sure.) I myself drink regular coffee with heavy cream and a single packet of Equal in the morning... and don't feel I suffer any ill effects from it
Thank you! I'm not sure how I would function with out my coffee especially at school. Well aside from killing someone. If I gained weight, I'd consider cutting it out and seeing if it affects a change but until then...mmmm, coffee.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:30 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/180

I myself was very attached to caffeine via diet soda. Unfortunately I found that it was a major staller for me Good luck! I have heard it varies per person.
pferde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I was off caffeine for 6 months but am back on it now. I do limit coffee to 1 cup and then switch to tea - but a lot of the tea is not decaf (although tea has less caffeine than coffee).

Starbucks has some good teas you could consider, and they make them iced in summer.

I find one of the best drinks at Starbucks is a coffee of the day with half and half poured in -- but then again I am not a sweetener girl.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 211/181/140

Height: 5'2"

I do a small plain Americano. It's espresso with water. I don't add anything to it.
UniquelyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/196/125

Height: 5'4''

You can order a sugar free vanilla, hazelnut, or cinnamon dolce and ask them to use heavy whipping cream instead of milk. I found that it is better cold. And while heavy whipping cream has zero carbs you are limited to how much you can have per day. You can always ask them to put it on the side or put it in yourself. I will say that the more of these I drink the slower my weight comes off so if you find yourself stalled or slowing down cut back!! You can can also ween yourself off caffiene by changing to one shot of reg expresso and one decaf. Good Luck!!!
redheadedpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #10  
Magic Girdle Not Included

S/C/G: 180/ticker/127

Height: 5'5"

I like to get an iced Americano with cinnamon dolce sugar-free syrup--it's delicious and has no cream or half-and-half which tend to stall me.

When I want to avoid caffeine I'll go with an unsweetened herbal tea--they have some nice ones.
Hippolyta is offline   Reply With Quote