Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 248/237/145

Exclamation Newly Diagnosed Diabetes-Cravings!!

Hello, I'm new to forums and newly again on Atkins after being off for almost 10 years and gaining lots of weight. I had gestational diabetes 7 yrs ago and was just recently diagnosed with diabetes based on a high hemoglobin A1C. I was told to go on meds, but have opted for going back on Atkins and then retesting in 3 months.
I started around April 15th and has lost 9 lbs so far, although it feels like nothing compared to the big picture.
I am currently feeling so tired of meat/veggies that I have no appetite and everything is making me feel nauseated. Especially eggs. What can I do to get over this? Even water tastes bad right now and I'm super sensitive to any chemicals like sweeteners. My only comfort right now is bacon! Also, I have a really bad dry mouth and constipation (I know, TMI), it's really bothering me. I tried to drink some mineral oil, but almost choked to death trying to swallow it.
I really miss chocolate. I've tried some of the recipes such as the cream cheese and egg thing in the microwave, supposed to be like a pastry, but turned out just grossing me out. I've run out of ideas of anything that sounds good, is this just a phase? Any help would be appreciated!
claudia12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

& back to Atkins!!

You've come to a great place for advice, support & encouragement!

My first suggestion would be to get Dr. Atkins book Atkins Diabetes Revolution. I just got a copy cheap from Ebay for my Mom to help my Dad manage his diabetes.

The best low carb recipe site I've found is
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html lots of variety.

The dry mouth & the constipation are common in the beginning. Be sure you are drinking plenty of water and eating lots of veggies & salads.

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 05-08-2009 at 11:52 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #3  

Yes, I have read the book and have also used some of the recipes on that great website. Luckily for me, my whole family is doing the diet with me, so there's no sabotaging going on. I am currently drinking my english tea every morning with a splash of milk and 1 sugar cube (4 carbs), it comes out to be about 6 carbs total. Am I causing myself a problem by using 1 sugar cube a day? Like I said before, I am very sensitive to chemicals, and the only substitute I've found tolerable is the Truvia, which has 3 carbs per packet anyways, so I just stuck with the regular sugar cube. Any thoughts? I do feel better today so far, yesterday was miserable!
Old 05-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudia12 View Post
a splash of milk
You're using milk?? May I ask why?
As for the sugar....its really a no-no. And since you're diabetic, I wouldn't think sugar would be the best choice.
JMHO

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 05-09-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #5  

I guess I thought that it's a very small amt of milk, maybe less than 1/4 cup, and that would be ok. I've always drank my tea this way, I guess that's my last bit of stubbornness left. What are my alternatives for English Tea? I've given up biscotti completely (Used to dip one each morning). Giving up my tea is like changing a part of me- of who I am- Isn't it ok as long as you count the carbs? The body can handle up to 20 carbs per day, right?
Old 05-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudia12 View Post
I guess I thought that it's a very small amt of milk, maybe less than 1/4 cup, and that would be ok. I've always drank my tea this way, I guess that's my last bit of stubbornness left. What are my alternatives for English Tea? I've given up biscotti completely (Used to dip one each morning). Giving up my tea is like changing a part of me- of who I am- Isn't it ok as long as you count the carbs? The body can handle up to 20 carbs per day, right?
Well.....technically, no....its not ok. While Atkins Induction is 20 carbs per day, it is 20 (net) carbs of foods on the acceptable foods list only... http://www.atkins.com/Program/FourPh...FoodsList.aspx
The English Tea is fine....you might want to consider using heavy cream in it instead of the milk though.
Frankly, 20 carbs a day isn't a lot...12 to 15 of those 20 carbs should be coming from veggies & salads from the acceptable foods list....so, 6 carbs for 1 cup of tea, seems a bit costly.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 245/245/200

Height: 5' 7"

Unhappy

Claudia12,
I was worried about you after reading your post. Come see us in the "chatting about diabetes" thread in the "dieting with obstacles" forum. There are a bunch of us who are there, helping eachother live this journey you have just started. I have been type 2 for 2 1/2 years and learn something new everyday. The best thing you can do for yourself you have done-choosing to lose, but the next thing you should do is see a dietician or nutritionist. Unfortunately, carbs are not only part of your problem, but part of your prescription in dealing with diabetes. That isn't something you can do on your own. It is normal for you to feel like you do--major life-changing diagnosis, no MD help (which is typical). Are you prepared if Adkins is not the right diet for you? And if you aren't testing your blood sugars, you need to, so that you can tell how you are going and what kinds of things affect your BG. Come and ask us anything you want, we are glad you help you.
And
Kathy
TappingPeony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Claudia, do feel free to join us on the Diabetic Threads as well as posting in here.

I totally agree that Atkins does work for diabetics but is slightly different. The Atkins Diabetic Revolution Book is excellent and will help considerably. The book has several levels of carb intake. I can tell you right now that dietitians and nutritionists are carb pushers and will probably close their brains the minute you say Atkins!

By the way, I am a well-controlled Type II Diabetic and follow another lower carb plan but my heart belongs to Atkins. JerseyGyrl really knows her stuff!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:37 AM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

I would like to address your constipation problem.

I had the same problem myself until I started eating one salad a day with a whole avocado in it. My problem was that I was not getting enough fat and too much protein. The avocado and a small bit of sunflower oil in my salad (consisting of 1 head of boston lettuce and a half an english cucumber...peel removed because I hate the peel..and a bit of canned fish or a little meat) solved that problem for me.

Mineral oil is horrid stuff and is only good for lubricating machinery, rubbing into dry skin after a shower or using as a lube for intimate moments with your SO in a 100%monogamous relationship.

I agree with cream in your tea as Jerseygirl suggested. I used to until I got used to drinking mine plain.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:25 AM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
I can tell you right now that dietitians and nutritionists are carb pushers and will probably close their brains the minute you say Atkins!
Amen Ruth! Unfortunate as it is, the second Atkins is mentioned, the total ignorance comes forward. My Dad, who is an insulin dependant diabetic (2 injections per day) was recently told by his Dr. "eat meats, vegetables, eggs, cheese....no bread, no potatoes".....Ummm HELLO....isn't that ATKINS???
I'm happy to report, Mom has read Dr. Atkins DIABETES Revolution and Dad's numbers are coming down considerably. Let me quickly add, he is still on insulin....however, his numbers are coming down, which has helped him avoid the Dr. upping him to a 3rd injection per day. Atkins does work when it is done correctly.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 05-12-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:36 AM   #11  
keto on

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Height: 5'4"

I think you drinking your tea with a cube of sugar and a splash of milk is fine. if you completely get rid of everything you enjoy you won't be driven at all to stick to the diet. Atkins says we can only have 20 carbs a day, but honestly, we're supposed to have over 200 carbs a day. If you cut out 180 carbs, you're still going to see yourself losing weight drastically, even if you have one cube of sugar with your tea. if you go to this link: http://sugarstacks.com/ you can see how much sugar is in everyday things. Obviously, one cube of sugar doesn't do much harm, even if you're a diabetic.
I'm not a pro when it comes to this whole Atkins thing, but I do know that we all need some happy treat, and tea with a splash of milk and a cube of sugar is a much healthier alternative than what most people consider treats.

Last edited by divinechaos; 06-17-2009 at 12:37 AM.
divinechaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #12  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinechaos View Post
Obviously, one cube of sugar doesn't do much harm, even if you're a diabetic.
I'm not a pro when it comes to this whole Atkins thing, but I do know that we all need some happy treat, and tea with a splash of milk and a cube of sugar is a much healthier alternative than what most people consider treats.
Atkins Induction is 20 net carbs (total carbs minus dietary fiber) per day, with 12-15 of those carbs for the day coming from veggies & salad on the acceptable foods list. Dr. Atkins clearly stated "Do not eat ANYTHING that is not on the acceptable foods list...it is the kiss of death". The entire purpose of Atkins Induction is to detox your body of bad carbs & SUGAR. On the Atkins plan (I can not speak for other "low carb" plans) sugar is a definite no-no. Not to mention, sugar as well as starches or anything that turns to sugar,for a diabetic is like suicuide. Caffeine has also been know to cause spikes in blood sugar & cause cravings which is the reason Atkins discourages caffeine. Milk is another no-no on Atkins. Heavy cream (whipping cream) is encouraged & is rich & heavenly in a cup of decaf tea or coffee.
As for "treats", there are many low carb, even Induction friendly treats on Atkins. My personal, occasional favorites are Lindt 80% cacao chocolate and Fage Total greek yogurt with toasted, chopped almonds, a splash of sugar-free DaVinci's syrup & a few frozen blueberries.
Atkins, done correctly is a healthy, effective eating plan. When not done correctly, it does not work...the same as any other plan not being done correctly.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/192/150

Height: 5' 7"

You could have been me a few months ago....
Hon, you have the wrong mindset. You are sailing the river "Denial" on the raft of 'rationalization'.
You need to adjust your attitude or you will not be successful.
Please stop looking at this WOE as 'I can't eat this, I can't eat that'....you need to look at all the wonderful choices you have. You need to know that if you stick with it for 2 weeks, you won't have the cravings for sugar and processed junk that is keeping you from success.
I still have a long road ahead of me on my weight loss journey, but one thing I learned (after years of failing) is that if you approach this looking for ways to "cheat or reward myself with treats" you have set yourself up to fail. You need to find that reward from the long list of acceptable foods that you may eat, and adjust your thinking. Go back to Linda Sue's website and see ALL the food you can enjoy....sugar cubes?!!!....well, you just don't eat those anymore.
The weight isn't 'falling off' of me (but at 51 what do I expect?) BUT I have lost 20 pounds and maintained the loss for months, instead of slowly gaining it back plus another 10. Personally, I know I won't get where I need to be cause I'm not exercising on a routine basis- but this WOE can work for you if you follow it. You need to be honest with yourself and stop looking for ways to 'cheat'.
Good luck!
way2fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #14  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Great post Kim... couldn't agree with you more.

Claudia I'm glad your here with us. These chicks are great.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 336/324/180

Height: 67 inches

I started Atkins 2 weeks ago and I lost 12 pounds in two weeks. So I am on my 3rd week. I eat alot of chicken, salad, ground beef and nuts. I exercise a little bit, I walk around my block 2 times a day and use my Total Body Gym and some free weights. My exercise plan is about 30 mins or less. Hopefully I can stay on this one.
toya is offline   Reply With Quote