Old 03-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #1  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Height: 5'6"

Default Questions about Dr. Atkins' book

I just ordered The New Diet Revolution book and a cookbook from Dr. Atkins. I do have a few questions for people who have read the book..

1. Will the book give me info about the science behind the diet...why it works?

2. Will the book give info about why some foods will stall weight loss [Ive been reading that on this forum].

3. Can you eat and is it encouraged that people eat whole foods on this plan? I am avoiding anything processed.

Thanking in advance for any replies
Simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simona View Post
I just ordered The New Diet Revolution book and a cookbook from Dr. Atkins. I do have a few questions for people who have read the book..

1. Will the book give me info about the science behind the diet...why it works?

2. Will the book give info about why some foods will stall weight loss [Ive been reading that on this forum].

3. Can you eat and is it encouraged that people eat whole foods on this plan? I am avoiding anything processed.

Thanking in advance for any replies

I'll begin by saying anyone who wants to "do Atkins" needs to start by reading the book and re-reading it until they clearly understand it. Then they need to incorporate what they learned from the book into doing this plan correctly.
Unfortunately...lots of times people will say they are doing Atkins...they haven't read the book and are eating things they shouldn't be...they don't lose weight....give up on the plan...and end up saying "oh yeah, I tried Atkins, that didn't work for me"
To answer your questions, yes...the book will definitely give you the science behind the eating plan and why its effective when done correctly
As far as certain foods "stalling"....I would say that is pretty much a YMMV (your mileage may vary) issue....what may stall me, may not stall you. I think each of us learns what stalls us & what doesn't by trial & error.
Lastly...but, certainly not least, Atkins does not encourage processed foods. Unfortunately, since Dr. Atkins demise in 2003 and Atkins Nutritionals Inc. taking over....they most surely DO encourage processed foods...but, if you read the versions of his book prior to his passing...he did not encourage these foods.
I hope that answers your questions
You CAN do this!
All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #3  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Height: 5'6"

Thanks JerseyGyrl - I noticed a lot of the advice here was to read the book. I think it's for me, but I want to be sure - hence I need to read the book. I dont want to "do Atkins" and then come to find that I'm not really doing it at all or that Im causing more harm than good.
Simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:14 AM   #4  
La Commedia è finita!

S/C/G: 270/263.5/150

Height: 5'5

I did "Atkins" years back and got frustrated with the lack of results and gave up. Turned out, I was doing it all wrong in so many ways. Now that I've got DANDR's principles down, I'm really seeing a loss! Best of luck to you.
pagliaccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #5  

Another good book I think that goes great with Dr. Atkins is "The Hidden Story of Cancer" by Brian Peskin. Since mixing my unprocessed organic oils in the proper proportions I am having absolutely no problem following low carb. I feel so calm also. I no longer binge or crave sweets. I hope this lasts. Peskins emailed me that this is the "missing link" to atkins. I believe it. I actually came to this site to see if anyone has heard of this book but have a hard time with the search engine.
Tracey
traceym1 is offline   Reply With Quote