Old 03-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 169/141/123

Height: 5'6"

Default can you drink coffee on atkins

does coffee that is caffienated have carbs. can you drink it black on induction?

Last edited by jooanie24; 03-25-2009 at 01:20 PM.
jooanie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

This is a YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) issue....pretty much like "Can I drink diet soda on Induction?"
Ok, first of all, yes...coffee does contain carbs. A 6 oz cup of brewed coffee contains 0.7 carbs. Might not seem like a lot....but....depending on how much you drink a day, can add up quickly.
Dr. Atkins said in the book (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution) that caffeine can play havoc with blood sugar which can cause cravings. This was his reasoning to avoid caffeinated beverages.
I personally do not drink caffeinated coffee. I drink 2 cups of decaf at my office every morning....black with no sweetener. I've never noticed any problems.
As I said, its a YMMV issue.
All the best to you!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

Everyone is different. Your body may react to caffeine and cause cravings or it may not. I drink Diet Coke like its going out of style and it doesn't affect me in a negative manner. In fact it is my only real sweet craving.

A few years back my husband and I went on Atkins. We started drinking Diet Rite because it had Splenda in it and no caffeine. He still drinks the stuff. I couldn't stand it and went right back to Diet Coke. It works for him but not for me.

The best advice would be to try it and see how it affects you....
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #4  

They are right, it really does effect everyone differently, in fact, I just had to give up my beloved coffee and switch to hot tea (soooo not the same!) and have lost 3 lbs since ...not all of a sudden of course, but I think it was what had been the cause of my stalling....I will have to suffer through it for now, but it's worth it!

I do know some people on Atkins that drink coffee every day and have no problems...lucky them!

Good luck with your coffee situation, I hope you are one of the lucky ones...keep us posted
foreveryoung28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/215/155

Height: 5-4

I just wanted to say, Thank you all for this forum, this is so great and I am very excited to be a new member and form a part of this support forum. I know I'm in the wrong thread.

I do drink my coffee caffeinated and you can have cream on it as well which I read does not contain carbs, but the artificial sweetners have about 1g of carb per envelope serving it says so on the label. So make sure to count the carbs.
Fabulous Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous Chic View Post
you can have cream on it as well which I read does not contain carbs, but the artificial sweetners have about 1g of carb per envelope serving it says so on the label. So make sure to count the carbs.
Heavy cream does contain carbs....0.4 carbs per Tbsp. You are limited to 3 Tbsp per day on Atkins Induction.
You are correct Splenda should be counted as 1 carb per packet...there is also a 3 packet a day limit.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #7  

Why would tea be different from caffeinated coffee? Is it decaff? This was an eye opener for me!
klh0320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #8  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Not to further confuse you, but I recently read on the Atkins fb page that you are now allowed one cup of coffee a day in induction. But I agree with those who said see how it affects you. I "have" to have my one cup of coffee every morning or I can't function in the a.m. This is the only caffeine I drink each day. I find the coffee with 1 TBL. of cream totally decadent and it doesn't it feel like you should be "allowed" to drink something so wonderful.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote