Old 11-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/248/130

Height: 5'2''

Question Is this correct?

Hey all. I have decided to try Atkins. I have read the book and the online website. I think ive pretty much got it down, except for one thing. Just to clarify, on induction, I can have 20 net carbs per day. 12-15 of those should come from vegetables correct? Ok, so my question here is about the recipes. When I view a low carb recipe, and it gives me the ingredients, etc, then at the bottom, theres the total net carbs in the meal. Am I supposed to calculate every single vegetable in the recipe, and convert that to net carbs, and then add that to my daily vegetable intake? This seems like a lot of work. Is there an easier way to do this, or am I going about it totally wrong. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
huniebunie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:25 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

on coming over to Atkins! Glad to hear you've read the book before you're attempting to do this! A bit of advice though, don't put too much stock in the Atkins website. Its being run by Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. and since the good Dr's death...lets just say, they haven't adhered to his original plan. You are much better off referring to his wife's site: http://www.veronicaatkinsfoundation.org/lifestyle.htm

If I'm understanding your question correctly, no...you would not calculate every veggie in a recipe. Whatever the recipe, you would go by whatever it states as net carbs per serving. As for the 12-15 carbs per day from veggies...add some chopped veggies to your eggs in the morning...have a salad for lunch with veggies mixed in...and have another serving of veggies & a small salad with your dinner...all from the acceptable foods list of course You'll find some of the best Atkins friendly recipes on the net here:
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html complete with carb counts per serving and Induction friendly recipes marked with an *

All the best to you!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 11-06-2008 at 06:28 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 251/248/130

Height: 5'2''

Thanks for the reply. Since then I have realized that I read the newest edition of the book, and have since borrowed the 2002 edition, hope thats adequate enough.

As far as the vegetable carb grams per day : Say a recipe I find and like is made up of mainly vegetables, such as vegetable soup (just outta the top of my head) would I still just count the net carbs, and then get in my main salad veggie carbs? Sorry if im confusing you. Any help is greatly appreciated, like always. Thanks a bunch.
huniebunie is offline   Reply With Quote