Old 07-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #1  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Talking Veronica Atkins Foundation!

If any of you on Atkins have been over to the newly re-vamped Atkins website lately its quite alarming. Atkins Nutritionals Inc. is promoting the Atkins lifestyle as being "Sweet...Sexy...Science" Not to mention the Atkins "products" being touted as "appropriate for Induction" Not the vision Dr. Atkins ever had in mind for sure BUT...I came across the Veronica Atkins Foundation website and am happy to say, she is carrying on her late husband's legacy with the dignity he so deserved I think he would be very proud of her!! Check it out: http://www.veronicaatkinsfoundation.org/
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:46 AM   #2  

I am so glad you posted this. I've been thinking it's the wife that was behind this move. The home page on Atkins.com is outrageous with chocolate and sweet treats displayed everywhere......

I'm so glad it's not the wife doing that. Good for you to come and defend her!
Timlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

The Atkins website is alarming. Thank you for posting his wife's website, much better information there.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

The Atkins website is a total disgrace not to mention extremely misleading & confusing for anyone new to Atkins. I'm not saying I have never eaten an Atkins bar because yes, I have...however...I did not & do not include them as part of my everyday eating the way Atkins Nutritionals is advising. It really irks me that they have the gall to put "appropriate for Induction" on the labels of those bars, yet when you read the ingredients, it says MILK, SOY & PEANUTS. If they are so "appropriate for Induction" why aren't those ingredients on the acceptable foods list??? Not to mention their calculation of carbs per bar. If you subtract fiber from total carbs, you determine the total net carbs. So, for example...an Atkins Advantage Chocolate Peanut Butter bar contains 22 total carbs & 10 grams fiber...that equals 12 carbs right? WRONG!! According to Atkins Nutritionals "science"...the bar contains 2 net carbs For those of you who are mystified by "Atkins science", you might want to do yourself a favor & read this: http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php
It will clearly explain the marketing of these products much better than the disclaimer Atkins Nutritionals now has on the newly re-vamped website: "Atkins science allows us to calculate Net Carbs in our products more accurately. In addition to subtracting grams of dietary fiber from total carbohydrates, we're able to account for glycerin and other ingredients that have minimal impact on blood sugar levels that might not show up on a standard food label. We can also check Net Carbs using analytical techniques. But, whats important for you to know is all Atkins bars and shakes are low in Net Carbs."
Sorry for the rant, this just makes me cringe!!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-16-2008 at 11:25 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/170/110

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for posting that link JerseyGyrl! That's really helpful. When I was first trying to find out about Atkins one of the first places I went to, naturally, was the Atkins website.... it was baffling.

The Veronica Atkins site looks way more informative.
mimzy is offline   Reply With Quote