Old 12-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cie View Post
Everyone is different so this is my woe. I use Atkins '72. In the book he has written on stalls and calories. Since I am over 50 I interpreted my 6 month stall from Jan. to June as my woe needing tweaking. So I began a meat and egg to first stop the cravings then moved into portion control. I keep my fat % high and do alternate weeks of 1300 calories to 1400 calories. This is my woe.

There are no shoulds in this. My take on this is only you know if you have been on an extended stall and need to tweak your way of eating.
Thanks. What you are doing is obviously working for you.
MadAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #17  

I have coffee with cream in the mornings and in general stick to an Atkins plan with lots of protein but it sure doesn't seem like I am loosing the weight I think I should for as little as I am eating Discouraged.
grabec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #18  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabec View Post
I have coffee with cream in the mornings and in general stick to an Atkins plan with lots of protein but it sure doesn't seem like I am loosing the weight I think I should for as little as I am eating Discouraged.
Would you mind posting a typical day's menu?
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 231/194/170

Height: 5'09''

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Would you mind posting a typical day's menu?
I know your question wasn't directed at me, but I'd like to share my "typical" days menu.

5 out of 7 days for breakfast and lunch I have 2 or 3 of the atkins bars, the 2.1oz versions, and 2 of the pre-made shakes (the new mocca coffee ones are great) the other 2 out of 7 I'll make an egg omelette with cheese, ham, and some salsa, and for dinner I'll have a burger (w/o bun) or some chicken, meatballs, hotdogs, and for sides I'll have a small salad w/ blue cheese dressing, spinach, green beans. Breyers makes a great sugar free ice cream that I'll have as a snack after dinner, or I'll have peanuts or peanut butter. I've been on atkins since late January this year. Since then I've lost 29 pounds and still going....though I must say up until a month or so ago the pounds were coming off at 1.6 a week, and now it's more like 1.0. But I'm still loving it...I'm never hungry/starved, and don't have to be on "special" food.
J3knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #20  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3knoll View Post
5 out of 7 days for breakfast and lunch I have 2 or 3 of the atkins bars, the 2.1oz versions, and 2 of the pre-made shakes
Since you posted this under Atkins Diet Success Stories....I think its safe for me to assume you are doing Atkins. That being said, I realize you aren't doing Induction....but....2 or 3 Atkins bars 5 days a week for breakfast & lunch Those bars....regardless of how Atkins Nutritionals Inc. is marketing them....were created by Dr. Atkins to be used when no other low carb food was available...in other words, emergencies. You might want to read the following article to better understand:
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php
Atkins is a high fat, adequate protein plan encouraging real foods like meats,veggies,salads, eggs, cheese, butter etc.
Things like those horrid Atkins bars & sugar free ice cream....might be ok in an emergency or as an occasional treat...but...not on a daily basis.
All the best to you!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #21  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I use the bars too for breakfast and an occasional lunch. They do not affect me in a negative way. I've managed to go from 190 on February 9th to 134 today. So how it affects you is a very individual thing. Just my 2 cents.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #22  

Quote:
Since you posted this under Atkins Diet Success Stories....I think its safe for me to assume you are doing Atkins. That being said, I realize you aren't doing Induction....but....2 or 3 Atkins bars 5 days a week for breakfast & lunch Those bars....regardless of how Atkins Nutritionals Inc. is marketing them....were created by Dr. Atkins to be used when no other low carb food was available...in other words, emergencies. You might want to read the following article to better understand:
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php
Atkins is a high fat, adequate protein plan encouraging real foods like meats,veggies,salads, eggs, cheese, butter etc.
Things like those horrid Atkins bars & sugar free ice cream....might be ok in an emergency or as an occasional treat...but...not on a daily basis.
All the best to you!

I hadn't thought of it that way, meaning those bars and shakes were not for 'norm' situations. They actually taste good (to me at least), they may have changed the taste since you last tried one. Also the ice cream, at least to me, tastes exactly like the regular box of ice cream of breyers I used to buy. I do eat all those items you listed above, usually for dinner, or if on the weekend for breakfast (eggs, sausage, ham, etc). I suppose I should be crediting some of my weight loss to eating those bars and shakes only for breakfast and lunch 5 out of 7 days a week (figure thats an average of 8 carbs and 800 calories [not that we count those on atkins] for my breakfast and lunches, leaving a nice cushion of room for a good dinner.

I must say though I've seemed to stall out these last couple weeks, I've dropped about 30 pounds and still want to go for another 25 or so, and guess I need to explore more options.

Thanks again for the info
Old 06-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #23  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3knoll View Post
I hadn't thought of it that way, meaning those bars and shakes were not for 'norm' situations. They actually taste good (to me at least), they may have changed the taste since you last tried one. Also the ice cream, at least to me, tastes exactly like the regular box of ice cream of breyers I used to buy. I do eat all those items you listed above, usually for dinner, or if on the weekend for breakfast (eggs, sausage, ham, etc). I suppose I should be crediting some of my weight loss to eating those bars and shakes only for breakfast and lunch 5 out of 7 days a week (figure thats an average of 8 carbs and 800 calories [not that we count those on atkins] for my breakfast and lunches, leaving a nice cushion of room for a good dinner.
Dr. Atkins referred to those foods as "convenience foods"....something to be used when no other low carb foods are available.
All I'm trying to say is, the purpose of low carb is to rid you body of bad carbs & sugar...not to substitute 1 evil for another.
Are you counting the bars as 2 or 3 net carbs per bar as the label states? If you read that link I posted you will quickly realize those labels are very misleading.
I certainly agree with you, exploring more options sounds like a very good idea!
All the best to you!
Old 06-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #24  

Quote:
Dr. Atkins referred to those foods as "convenience foods"....something to be used when no other low carb foods are available.
All I'm trying to say is, the purpose of low carb is to rid you body of bad carbs & sugar...not to substitute 1 evil for another.
Are you counting the bars as 2 or 3 net carbs per bar as the label states? If you read that link I posted you will quickly realize those labels are very misleading.
I certainly agree with you, exploring more options sounds like a very good idea!
All the best to you!
Very interesting reading....thank you!

To answer your question, I was counting the 2 net carbs on the front of the label. On the back it says Total Carbs:22 Dietary Fiber:10 Sugar:1 .....so where's the other 11?? I see that this can be a reason why I finally stalled out. Perhaps my body was simply getting rid of the excessive fat/weight and now I'm simply maintaining unless I stick to an even stricter low-carb daily diet. I checked out that newsgroup and saw some good recipes. Are there any particular snacks that you like to have that you know are truly low-carb?

BTW - thank you so much for taking your time to talk to me.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Well it's too early to say I've had "success" with the Atkins diet but I truely believe that this diet saved my life. At the beginning of this year I was very ill and by April, I couldn't even walk down the strairs. My blood sugar was high, I kept having asthma, my kidneys were showing signs of damage, I was anemic and I had problems with my thyroids. My diabetes was at it's worst even though I tested daily and I was on medication. I took 2 pills a day and 3 insulin injections. I tried working out and eatting everything sugar-free but that still didn't work for me. I was always so hungry from the insulin shots. Although I never read about the Atkins diet but somehow I decided to keep my carb count at 20g and only eatting 800 cals a day starting in June, 2 weeks later I read Dr. Atkins book because I was googling if it's fine if I only ate 20 grams of carb a day and I ran into the Atkins diet. So instead of doing my own thing, I followed the Atkins diet. With Atkins, I wasn't starving myself. By the end of June, I was no longer dependant on any of my medications, goodbye pills, goodbye insulin. I'm no longer anemic and I can walk down that stairs, not only that, I can jog for 30 mins, do 90 push ups, some yoga, 30 jumping jacks, 30 sit ups and some weight lifting WITHOUT and I do really mean it, without feeling tired as I was in April just walking down the stairs.

I am as happy as I can get with my life now due to the fact that I don't need medication, I can eat right, I can exercise daily and it's not the end of the world. Oh, I left out a few things, my hair isn't shedding anymore, it looks like my head is getting more hair also, my legs are growing hair now too, (it wasn't before, signs of nerve damage) my feet is actually soft now and since I drink sooooo much water on Atkins, my face is so clear and soft, my cheeks even looks rosy. Excuse the language but DAMN! I love this diet.
AngelicLyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #26  
9/10/09 - Bye Carbs

Height: 5"7

I just lost 30lbs in 3 months I've resumed normaler eating habits, but I try to tone down the carbs and sugar, and so far my weight hasn't gone up! It looks like I've found my "zone"
Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #27  

Question Newbie

Hi there,

i read all your comments and wanted to introduce myself, i did Atkins 5years ago and lost 30lbs but than went back to eating normal and gained 30 + another 10lbs back. I really would like to get back on this diet because I know it works........but I tend to lose motivation just after first couple days...any tips how I can stick to it........it was way easier 5years ago but with so much negative ads and view regarding this diet makes me really confused........I start on a monday but come wed. I throw the towel thinking is it safe, is it doing me good...etc...etc...

HELP!!'

Jess170
jess170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #28  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

Several years back, I lost 60lbs in 3 months on Atkins. After I got my body back into all those cute clothes, I went right back to eating the same old way and the same old (bad) things. Guess what? Here I am starting all over again because I know this diet works! I started June 26, 2010 and have lost 25lbs to date. The difference this time is in addition to walking several miles a day, I AM using portion control and counting calories. I am keeping my calories in the 1200 or less range. Portion control was an issue for me after the first time losing. So this time, I am going to be better prepared to maintain my weight loss. My biggest meal is at breakfast, usually 3 scrambled eggs w/ 3 sausages. Lunch is usually a moderate salad with a lean meat. Dinner is a low carb protein shake. If I feel like I need a snack (which is rare), I'll eat pork rinds and homemade salsa, or a small piece of cheese, or some beef jerky. I try to keep all my snacks protein based to kill any little hunger pangs (which are really rare on Atkins). Hugs and Support to you on your journey . The ladies here are really sweet and give some awesome advice .

Last edited by islandchick1; 09-06-2010 at 11:41 PM.
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandchick1 View Post
Several years back, I lost 60lbs in 3 months on Atkins. After I got my body back into all those cute clothes, I went right back to eating the same old way and the same old (bad) things. Guess what? Here I am starting all over again because I know this diet works! I started June 26, 2010 and have lost 25lbs to date. The difference this time is in addition to walking several miles a day, I AM using portion control and counting calories. I am keeping my calories in the 1200 or less range. Portion control was an issue for me after the first time losing. So this time, I am going to be better prepared to maintain my weight loss. My biggest meal is at breakfast, usually 3 scrambled eggs w/ 3 sausages. Lunch is usually a moderate salad with a lean meat. Dinner is a low carb protein shake. If I feel like I need a snack (which is rare), I'll eat pork rinds and homemade salsa, or a small piece of cheese, or some beef jerky. I try to keep all my snacks protein based to kill any little hunger pangs (which are really rare on Atkins). Hugs and Support to you on your journey . The ladies here are really sweet and give some awesome advice .

Congrats on the 25lbs! I have just started induction, day 2 here and I have to admit, going a bit nutty!! I want to hang in there, reading everyone's success stories is inspiring me. Best of luck to you.
Zaftig Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #30  

Height: 5'3½

Quote:
phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php
All the best to you!
Thank you for this link!
DGirl150 is offline   Reply With Quote