Old 03-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #1  

Default Atkins Shakes/Low Carb Tortillas

Anyone drink these? I get bored with breakfast and have never been a big breakfast eater but these hit the spot with me. I have done Atkins off and on over the years and it is the only diet I can lose on. But this time I am not getting the results I want. I have also been eating low carb tortillas with 6 net carbs. Could that be the problem? I have read that once you have done Atkins once or twice your body kinda knows what you are doing and is hesitant to let go of the weight thinking you will eventually succumb to the lure of carbs. Anyone heard of this?
jjarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #2  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Hello jjarman

I drink the shakes when I have nothing to eat. There is that darn sugar alcohol in them... but for some reason the shakes do not stall me as much as the bars. I love the low carb Tortillas and the Pitas (love to make pizza's on them) But I can't eat them for awhile as I am trying to stay close to 20-30 carbs a day. I have done Atkins on and off 10 times or so. The first time I was on it for months and lost 65 lbs. Then work happened. Over the years I would stick to it for 2 weeks or so (lose 12 lbs or more) and feel good and fall prey to "bad" carby foods. This time I have stayed on for 11 1/2 weeks and have done very well. So I think your body might remember... but it also sheds that fat and water even so. After that 2 weeks... the hunger and the cravings aren't so bad anymore either.

I would stay away from alot of sugar alcohols for awhile and see if your loss is better.. But if you also do not have much weight to lose, it might come off slower too. and finally remember...... it usually is only about 1-2 lbs a week anyway and that is still better than not losing or heaven forbids... Gaining

Last edited by wannaskipandlaugh; 03-20-2013 at 07:24 PM.
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #3  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

I have an Atkins shake for breakfast just about every morning. I love the Cafe Mocha flavor. I've had the low carb tortillas, but only a couple of times -- and not recently. Almost all of my carbs come from veggies.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

They say that the first time you do Atkins you have the so called "golden opportunity" where you lose the most weight. However, they also say that the body can forget and re-learn very quickly (more so the metabolism) new ways of eating. So I don't know what to tell you in the end haha, aren't I helpful? My way of looking at it is to just keep going and the weight will come off.

Regarding the shakes/tortillas, I would personally ditch both and see what happens. However, if this would cause you to go off plan, maybe just have them once or twice a week, or in smaller portions.

I'm going strict Atkins 72' till I get to goal. But I have an iron will and the results are enough to keep me going...
California17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #5  

The atkins shakes I have do not have the sugar alcohol in them but have splenda. That is good. I got nervous and went to check because my body thinks sugar alcohol is pure sugar. I was really really diligient yesterday. Had atkins shake for breakfast and lunch and about a third of a chopped salad from Subway. I just was not getting into the salad yesterday so I threw it out. Had a breakfast low carb tortilla for supper. By my count I had about 12 carbs. Down a half pound which I will take. I don't have that much to lose. I would love to lose 30 by June 1 but will take 20. Had my atkins shake this morning and will probably have one for lunch as I am getting to the phase where you are not that hungry
Old 03-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #6  

My hunger is ravenous this week. Not sure what is going on. I'm week 3, day 4, down to 177 from 189. I'd love to get to 145 by July 1. Been hovering between 176-177 this whole week and could eat a horse.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #7  
Sue finding inner song

jjarman / California Good for you both!!

Big loss the 1st week almost always happens on this way of eating. Kinda gets the Kick start to knowing that it works : ) I think (if I can remember) the end of the 2nd week and 3rd week is when I was craving things I did not eat anyore...but it also could have been TOM coming (even tho I do not get that anymore my body still remembers and hormones still work ) It is kinda a resolve check

and please do not starve your selves.. You need to eat at least 1200 calories a day to just match the energy loss you do by just being here. After reading these threads.. the knowledge is that if it is anything less than you go into starvation mode and your body will go after the muscle masses for energy.. So please eat... (and drink) even if you are not super hungry. Even if its just alittle... Your body needs to have that food for its use.

As they say,.. that's my $.02

But I am so happy to have 2 wonderful and smart people to do Atkins with Thank you!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #8  

I haven't been tracking calories but this is what I ate today;

Left over beef from last night's dinner, maybe 120 grams, with mayo.
1 whole egg and 5 egg white omelette for lunch.
100 grams of smoked salmon and a bit of mayo as a snack (i was starving, rarely eat snacks).
About to eat a cucumber, lettuce, mayo, and tuna salad.

I feel like this is a lot of calories (cause of the mayo). Any thoughts?

As I said, I'm in week 3 so maybe that has something to do with it. Hovering at 177. Also cravings are strong, but I'm stronger
Old 03-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #9  

The atkins shakes I have do not have the sugar alcohol in them but have splenda. That is good. I got nervous and went to check because my body thinks sugar alcohol is pure sugar. I was really really diligient yesterday. Had atkins shake for breakfast and lunch and about a third of a chopped salad from Subway. I just was not getting into the salad yesterday so I threw it out. Had a breakfast low carb tortilla for supper. By my count I had about 12 carbs. Down a half pound which I will take. I don't have that much to lose. I would love to lose 30 by June 1 but will take 20. Had my atkins shake this morning and will probably have one for lunch as I am getting to the phase where you are not that hungry
Old 03-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #10  
Enjoying the journey

S/C/G: 225/192/170

Height: 5-5.5

I tried the shakes but I was at stall period so I stopped using them - as for low-carb wraps - I just can't be trusted!! It is too much temptation for me and I would fall off the Atkins wagon and start eating processed foods again. I don't count calories but I am working on my portion control!!
Lulu NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #11  
Sue finding inner song

Lulu... You are so right. I had one of those 6 net carb wraps 3 nights ago around 2 bratwurst (oh yum) and the next day I felt bloated... So Net Carbs ehhhh Maybe 100 lbs from now in my case

Hope everyone is doing well!