Sugar Free Jello??

• Hey y'all! I was just looking through Dr. Atkins New Diet Cookbook and it says that you can have sugar free jello during induction. However, the book also says that aspartame is okay but sucralose isn't. I thought it was the other way around?? That jello sure does sound good... but is it allowed?
  • Is jello pudding allowed too - or just regular jello? I'm not on atkins, but it's very interesting!
  • I think thats a misprint...Aspartame is not "ok"...Sucralose (Splenda) is the preferred sweetener of Atkins.

Due to the aspartame, i avoid sugar-free jello and make my own using Splenda
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/no_carb_jello.html

Depending on the flavor, sugar-free jello pudding has anywhere between 20-28 carbs per 4 serving size box and that is just for the mix (it contains cornstarch)...it doesn't include the milk or cream used to make it!
  • Hmmm... It says in the book... "Dieters must determine which artificial sweeteners agree with them, but the following are allowed: saccharine, aspartame, acesulfame-K. Sweeteners such as sorbitol, mannitol, and other hexitols are not allowed, nor are any natural sweeteners ending in the letters -ose, such as maltose, fructose, and so on."
    I assume that sucralose, since it ends in -ose- would fall into that category as well. I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's why I'm confused!
  • I'm not sure which version of the book you are using but...in the 2002 version of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, page 128, it says:
    "My preference, however, is sucralose (Splenda), the only sweetener made from sugar. Sucralose is safe, non-caloric, and does not raise blood sugar. It has been used in Canada for years, and the FDA recently approved it after reviewing more than one hundred studies conducted over the past twenty years.
    Note that each packet of sugar substitute contains about 1 gram of carbohydrate so, don't forget to include the amount in your daily totals."

On page 189 it says:
    "Avoid aspartame although the cause is as yet unknown, clinical observations show that certain individuals find weight loss slows with excessive intake of aspartame, the artificial sweetener sold as NutraSweet & Equal."
  • This is in the 1997 edition of the "Dr Atkins New Diet Cookbook"... on pages 13 and 14! Oh, and I also looked on pg 128 of the 2002 version of "Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution" and I'm not seeing what you're seeing... lol.