3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/)
-   -   Low Budget Atkins? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins/144567-low-budget-atkins.html)

RissaIsAFatty 06-22-2008 11:04 PM

Low Budget Atkins?

Hey guys. I was on the Atkins diet when I was younger and still living with my parents and it worked really well for me. Now, however, I live with my fiance and children and don't have mom to cook for me. I was wondering, is it possible to be on Atkins with a low food budget? Some have told me that it is a rather expensive diet and my mom used to spend quite a bit on specialty foods as well. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! :?:

snapless 06-22-2008 11:42 PM

I can guarantee that eating healthy is more expensive than eating ramen noodles and mac n cheese all the time....BUT, you can help yourself curb costs with the following:

1. Start a garden. Even if it is just a small planter inside with just some herbs, it's a good start. I save bundles just on the costs of cilantro, mint, rosemary, sage, lemon grass, etc. in addition to the 2 tomato plants I keep growing in pots.
If you don't have a green thumb, don't worry, and don't buy books! There is so much free material online there is no reason to.

2. Go to your local farmer's market and purchase things there. The food is better and the cost is typically far less (no middle men).

3. Go to your local fisherman's wharf (if you have one) and purchase seafood there. I can get shrimp here from the fisherman's wharf for about 1/5th what it would cost me in the store. And it's fresh not frozen!

4. Avoid 'specialty foods'. Most of them, including the Atkins bars, are chock full of things your body DOES NOT NEED. Jerseygyrl has a great post somewhere about this.

5. Buy a water filter. Yes, it is an investment. Yes, you will get your money back 20 times (or more) over by using this simple invention instead of buying bottled water.

Just a few suggestions.

RissaIsAFatty 06-22-2008 11:52 PM

Snapless...
We just bought a new house in April and it came with a water tap... made especially for drinking water. I've been drinking plenty today, maybe more than I should have... lol. I have 3 tomato plants growing outside right now, so I'm good there. On a not-so-good note, I don't eat any seafood:( I never have really. I don't like the taste. I'll definitely have to look into a farmer's market around here though, that just might save us some money! Thanks!

snapless 06-22-2008 11:58 PM

Well, since you're not into seafood, how about beef, poultry, pork...etc.? I don't know much about Illinois, I'm from Texas - and there I was able to find out butchering times for the local ranchers and visit during those times to purchase freshly butchered meat for an extremely low price (love those Black Angus steaks, but I was able to get more than just beef).

Here in north Japan tho...it's seafood...which I like....just not all the time. :/

Your way of eating is going to be mostly fresh vegetables and meat, so look into the various ways to cut costs on those. You've already started on a garden...maybe add to it?

RissaIsAFatty 06-23-2008 12:17 AM

I love love love chicken breasts. I don't really care how they're cooked, as long as they're done! I'm a crock-pot junkie, too, which I'm sure I'll find a way to work into the mix... lol! Thanks again!

Kim in NJ 06-23-2008 12:23 AM

Hi Ladies... :hi:

I cut costs a little differently - although this year we DO have 3 tomato plants outside so I am excited about that.

Also - we love zuchinni and onions. And most of our friends and co-workers always seem to have extra so I state it loud and clear that if anyone has an abundance please think of me. Last year I had 2 co-workers leaving me BAGS of squash because they just had so much.

Also - my dh will run to Shoprite after about 7PM and specifically look for Manager's Specials on veggies and we just eat them that night. Also he is good about reading circulars and seeing where the great deals are. He will pick up London Broil at Pathmark and then Chicken Breasts at Foodtown etc. When he brings them home I immediately bag them up in Zip loc freezer bags (typically 3 breasts to a bag or so) and marinate them in lime or lemon juice for flavor. So they marinate while frozen and then each night we just thaw that night's dinner. But we always buy in bulk - on sale and then break it down into individual meal amounts.

Eggs Eggs Eggs - their not that expensive and I love having them around. I have never bought any Low Carb specialty foods at all. When I did so well on Atkins in 2004, after induction for 5 weeks, I typically ate a lot of salads with cut up mozzarella cheese and cooked chicken. (You can also freeze blocks of cheese so buy them on sale too.) - And I also buy SF jello when it's on sale and just really stock up!

Hope some of these ideas help too.
Goodnight!

snapless 06-23-2008 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RissaIsAFatty (Post 2237885)
I love love love chicken breasts. I don't really care how they're cooked, as long as they're done! I'm a crock-pot junkie, too, which I'm sure I'll find a way to work into the mix... lol! Thanks again!

I posted a recipe for a low carb crockpot stew in the recipe area, but basically the most important thing is: use cauliflower instead of potatoes, and do not add them too early or you will wind up with mush! Also, do not use 'thickeners' in your stew liquid (flour, cornstarch, etc.).

RissaIsAFatty 06-23-2008 01:07 PM

Thanks so much ladies, for all the help! I've made it through the beginning of the day today, eating a good breakfast and all, which is a first for me, in a really long time! My family was thrilled though... lol! Anyhow, thanks again and I'll be sure to remember these things!