Old 12-14-2006, 02:39 PM   #1  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

Default Reindeer Magic

Not sure if we've talked about this or not but I got this a few years back and my kids reminded me last night we need to make some for Christmas Eve. Oh--and the little health nuts have decided Santa needs veggies instead of cookies this year. Too cute.

Mix a little oatmeal (oats) and glitter in a baggy.

The label on the baggy says:

Reindeer Magic

Sprinkle on the lawn at night
The moon will make it sparkle bright
Santa's reindeer fly and roam
This will guide them to your home.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:40 PM   #2  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

We do this every year with my niece and nephew. He's now 19 and she's 11, and they both keep insisting that we go put out the reindeer food!
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

This is too cute. The soon-to-be 3yo DS will probably love this!
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:17 PM   #4  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Yeah, right, Cassi - does he realize who the reindeer are hauling behind them...Scary St. Nick!
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:22 PM   #5  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Lean - Steel cut, regular or instant oatmeal???
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #6  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaMe2MiniMe View Post
Lean - Steel cut, regular or instant oatmeal???
I was wondering too. Cause I'm sure the reindeer won't come unless it's the right kind of oatmeal . . . . .

juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:33 PM   #7  
FBD/8-18-08

Ah, this brings back so many wonderful memories! Every year Santa "did" something at our house! One year, he rearranged the DR furniture. One year, he took some of the LR furniture and put it in the playroom. One year, he fed all my carrots intended for our roast to the reindeer. One year he left behind the cookies and ate dh's fire balls instead! When my 16yr old was about 3, we took his favorite cereal bowl and left it on the table with reindeer food in it. Of course, Santa took the favorite bowl outside to feed the reindeer and left it on the front porch empty. My MIL showed up Christmas morning wanting to know why there was a cereal bowl on the front porch! Needless to say, Joshua gave her the entire explanation!
After my boys got a little older and I stopped working, times were leaner - if you know what I mean - so we began to hide their presents and to give them clues to find them. We thought it would be just for one year, but the boys loved it so much, it's been a ritual until this year and even now, they're asking us to hide at least one! Hiding the presents made opening presents last a couple of hours instead of a couple of minutes! We've hidden presents all over the house, in the mailbox, outside in the vehicles, in the next door neighbor's tool shed, but the best was dh moving a pile of leaves and digging a whole underneath them, hiding the present in the hole and covering it back up with the pile of leaves! I'll have to attach a picture of them digging that one out! (I posted it on my profile!)
My parents always made Christmas a special time for me, and I wanted to pass along the tradition to my sons. They don't necessarily remember all the gifts they got each year, but to this day, they remember exactly what "happened" every year and we love to sit around on Christmas Eve during our Birthday party for Jesus, and talk about the great memories.
I didn't mean to make that so long, but thanks for letting me share!
Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Prazteam; 12-14-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Prazteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #8  

Joni - Nothing like the magic of Christmas and Santa to bring years of therapy to a child!

Pearl - I love the idea of hiding the gifts. What a great way to stretch the magic.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:56 AM   #9  
Kim - IP 9/10

Julie - I am sure that the reindeer prefer oatmeal raisin cookies!

Pearl - What wonderful memories for your boys! I can't believe that with all Santa had to accomplish on Christmas Eve that he came up with so many creative pranks!

My family has always done Christmas on Christmas Eve (Christmas Day was for church and Santa presents and dinner!) and my nephew always made us sing Happy Birthday to Jesus before we ate dessert!
Old 12-15-2006, 10:16 AM   #10  
on LAWL

I LOVE reading about Christmas traditions! Plus, you can always steal from others. It never fails that my oldest will have some crazy idea on Christmas Eve and we are scrambling. A few years back we were calling every crafty friend we knew chasing down bells. Needless to say DH really gets into it leaving little "signs" behind like the bells in the grass that Santa dropped, or hay from the reindeer's stable. Last year the Easter bunny lost his TAIL in my front yard--we still have the cotton ball! One thing we always do is load everyone into the suburban to look at lights--it was my grandmothers favorite thing to do and now my girls insist we go to her site and tell her all about the beautiful lights.

Pearl--your tree looks beautiful!

Last edited by Boo'sMom; 12-15-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:39 AM   #11  
Kim - IP 9/10

Oh the poor Easter Bunny! Do rabbits tails grow back?

One year when I was little my brother set a trap for santa- he rigged his new tape player to be recording while Santa was at our house (it was for my benefit - my siblings are 10,14, and 15 years older than me so he was probably 19!!) It was cool as heck as I recall.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #12  

Awww, Lea Ann, you brought tears to my eyes. What a sweet tradition!
Old 12-15-2006, 11:25 AM   #13  
on LAWL

If it makes you feel better--I got teary, too. My granny was everything to me and it makes me so happy my girls got to know her, too. Kids are funny though. My girls are able to be so joyful about "old granny is in heaven!" and they go on and and on about how fabulous it is and how lucky she is--and I couldn't agree more--but my heart breaks every time--I wish I could bottle that innocence.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:11 PM   #14  
Debbie on LAWL

S/C/G: 239/223/135

Height: 5'5

Oh Lea Ann - your granny story is so sweet. I too am moved to tears, thanks for sharing!

My family also drives around on Christmas Eve to look at the lights. There is a church by my house that goes all out and they play christian christmas music on the radio all day...when you drive by the church there is a huge line of cars playing the music and enjoying the lights. It's really nice and always brings tears of joy to my eyes.

Deb
Debbie367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #15  

BoosMom - this is so cool! Although I have no children, I have a 4 yr old nephew who will love this! thanks for sharing.
Nascar Girl is offline   Reply With Quote