Weight Loss Support - What are YOUR trigger foods?

View Full Version : What are YOUR trigger foods?

Cheryl14
12-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Hi All!

I just finished reading Tara's peanut butter thread and was curious about how MY trigger foods matched with anyone else's...

What are YOUR trigger foods?

Mine, in no particular order are chocolate, cheese, peanut butter, chips, and butter.

I was surprised to discover that ALL of my trigger foods actually classify as FATS more than as carbs or sweets or salty foods.

The word "TRIGGER FOODS" was new to me a year or so ago. For the first time I really understood why I could be near some foods which never tempted me (hard candy,pies, cake, for example or even ice cream) and yet other foods (see above) would turn me into a catatonic fat-eating zombie as they caused me to almost go into a trance as I was eating them!

A fatoholic I am! I also now understand why I can't even have a tiny bit of any of my trigger foods without a big binge coming on!

Cheryl

Softykins
12-13-2006, 03:03 PM
My trigger foods are mashed potatoes, tacos, cheese, and pizza :jeno:
I could get sooo much of those!!

YUM! :whoo:

SlimLindy
12-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Sugars and carbs. Baked goods.

mandalinn82
12-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Nuts, vanilla ice cream, toast with butter, croissants, and chips.

athenac
12-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Carbs and salt.

Rosario
12-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Nuts, vanilla ice cream, toast with butter, croissants, and chips.

I'm so with you on the toast w/ butter. I can never get enough. I can polish of 6 slices in about 2 minutes!! It's so bad.

My other big trigger food is cake - even if I just hear the word I start craving it and thinking about what I can stuff into my mouth.

NurseMichelle
12-13-2006, 04:00 PM
WINGS---bbq, hot wings, teriyaki wings, WINGS WINGS WINGS WINGS WINGS!

healthytoad
12-13-2006, 04:09 PM
anything deep fried! especially chicken..cheetos, ice cream, gooey brownies...oh, I better stop! lol

rockinrobin
12-13-2006, 04:09 PM
Pasta, bread, rice - yup carbs. That's why I've practically given them up except for the ones found in veggies and fruits.

And ice cream, there's no stopping me if I'm faced with a container of the stuff.

lilybelle
12-13-2006, 04:10 PM
cake, cookies, peanut butter.

wanna b thin
12-13-2006, 04:27 PM
CHOCOLATE, anything chocolate, especially Hershey Kisses or any Hershey candy and brownies.

cupcake84
12-13-2006, 04:27 PM
anything with cheese, honey garlic chicken wings, chips , chinese food............be strong be strong hahaha

denice81
12-13-2006, 04:46 PM
cheese, cookies, brownies, anything baked...

ennay
12-13-2006, 04:48 PM
i definitely have a fat tooth more than a sweet tooth. I'd have to say icecream and piecrust

cantforgetthis
12-13-2006, 05:17 PM
Definately ice cream and pizza!

Tara D
12-13-2006, 05:18 PM
This really good cranberry pecan bread from the local bakery. I haven't bought one since June because, well, it only lasts a day.

cbmare
12-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Chocolate. I think I have it under control because I won't eat just any chocolate. We buy Belgian chocolate a couple of times a year. We will each pick 1 out of the box and split them. I won't binge because they are too expensive.

Now for the other stuff.

CHEESE - I love just about any type of cheese.

I love good crackers, too.

However, I'm also the type to stand around the appetizer plate and scarf broccoli and cauliflower. I don't get that at home.

NotTheCheat
12-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Little foods - petit fours, mini-quiches, etc. I am not sure what it is but I love them and they get me every time
Unportioned ice cream
Habanero Doritos

jillybean720
12-13-2006, 05:51 PM
ANYTHING delicious and unhealthy :devil:;) I'm actually not particularly fond of plain chocolate, but I do love chocolate w/peanut butter (peanut butter cups, peanut butter M&Ms, etc.). I also love Little Debbie snack cakes, candy bars, anything white chocolate, cheesecake, loaded cheese fries, Doritos (especially cool ranch), sugar cookies, anything with lots of melted cheese (pizza, quesedillas, etc.)...I've got the WORST of both worlds in that I adore both fats and sweets. Eating ANYTHING off my plan can trigger a binge for me :(

Cheercoach
12-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Carbs....with a capital C...biscuits, pasta, bread....yum. And peanut butter.

BlueToBlue
12-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Binging isn't my problem so much as portion control, so I don't really have a lot of foods that I consider trigger food. There isn't much that I feel I can't eat in moderation. But trail mix proved to be a problem earlier this year. I picked up two different kinds from Trader Joe's; both were 140 calories per 1/4 cup serving. I've gotten other foods that I need to eat in 1/4 cup servings (cinnamon almonds, for example) and been fine. But I could not stop eating the trail mix. I went through the first bag (somewhere around 1600 calories) in two days. I was horrified :yikes:; it was the first time I had really lost control like that since I started counting calories. I'm still embarrassed and appalled by it. I ended up throwing out the second bag when it became clear I was going to go through it just as fast. I now refer to it as the Trail Mix Incident and have been afraid to buy any since then.

I do have some Chex Mix in the house and I've told myself that if I don't limit myself to the serving stated on the package, I'm going to have to toss it too. So far, that threat has been keeping me in line.

I also don't keep chocolate in the house because, after The Trail Mix Incident, I'm afraid it would have the same effect.

cbmare
12-13-2006, 06:59 PM
May I add one more thing?

!NUTS!

I loooovvvvve nuts. That is probably my biggest downfall. I really have to watch those. I love roasted pecans and walnuts in a salad. I love almonds (Trader Joe's has the best tasting ones).

Peanuts - not really a nut. I love those. Being southern, I love boiled peanuts. Whenever I go back to FLA, I will stop at road side stands and buy them by the pounds. Fortunately, we can't get them canned out here on the west coast. I'd be buying them! :yikes:

Sunnigummi
12-13-2006, 07:44 PM
ANYTHING delicious and unhealthy :devil:;) I'm actually not particularly fond of plain chocolate, but I do love chocolate w/peanut butter (peanut butter cups, peanut butter M&Ms, etc.). I also love Little Debbie snack cakes, candy bars, anything white chocolate, cheesecake, loaded cheese fries, Doritos (especially cool ranch), sugar cookies, anything with lots of melted cheese (pizza, quesedillas, etc.)...I've got the WORST of both worlds in that I adore both fats and sweets. Eating ANYTHING off my plan can trigger a binge for me :(

Wow...is this me??? ;) Although I have to say candy/chocolate is not a big trigger for me now. Like if I had a choice between chicken/bread and chocolate, I'd pick chicken/bread everytime... :)

veggielover
12-13-2006, 08:07 PM
funny thing, i used to binge on chocolate, but now that i switched to dark chocolate, i no longer want more than a serving...

i find that binging is easier to control once you've made a switch to more homemade goods. I can't seem to crave things that i don't make myself... wonder why...

veggielover
12-13-2006, 08:07 PM
funny thing, i used to binge on chocolate, but now that i switched to dark chocolate, i no longer want more than a serving...

i find that binging is easier to control once you've made a switch to more homemade goods. I can't seem to crave things that i don't make myself... wonder why...

CLCSC145
12-13-2006, 08:28 PM
White bread, peanuts, cake, french fries...

Eiluj
12-13-2006, 11:25 PM
Stupid moment ahead: What's a trigger food? Is that a food that seems to make you hungrier instead of satisfied? Or is it a food that seems to set off a chain of binge eating?

For me, if I eat rice, pasta, or bread I get really hungry in about an hour. Does that mean they are my trigger foods? The hunger goes away if I eat something protein-y.

Wow, I'm clueless!

Julie

Zorak
12-14-2006, 01:22 AM
I'm not a binger, but there are certain foods that I almost always eat too much of.

A few are:

-Certain candies (Reese's PB cups, M&Ms, Hershey's Kisses, Smarties, Sweettarts, Red hots or Fireballs, Mounds, Hershey's Miniatures except for Special Dark).
-White cake
-Homemade mashed potatoes
-Pizza
-Cashews

I still eat these foods, but I portion them and save the junky foods for the treat meal day. Although the last time I had candy was on Halloween and I've only had white cake once this year.

jillybean720
12-14-2006, 05:59 AM
Stupid moment ahead: What's a trigger food?
Trigger foods typically have nothing to do with hunger. They are foods that "trigger" you to eat more than you should. For me, it could set off a full-fledged binge, and for others, they may just eat too much of that particular food if there is more than one serving available even if they are not actually hungry.

2frustrated
12-14-2006, 06:44 AM
An open packet of biscuits (english cookies...), at the moment Mince Pies too! :lol:

It used to be fries.. but I seem to have a hold on those, and crisps (chips) I don't eat crisps very often at all, maybe about once a month if that!

pockets
12-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Chocolate, cookies, PIZZA. Anything with sugar.

Why does Pizza Hut have to put ads on TV this early?

Eiluj
12-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Trigger foods typically have nothing to do with hunger. They are foods that "trigger" you to eat more than you should. For me, it could set off a full-fledged binge, and for others, they may just eat too much of that particular food if there is more than one serving available even if they are not actually hungry.

Aha! Thank you.

Honestly, I'll tend to eat almost any food if there's more than one serving available.:o

PinkyPie
12-14-2006, 10:08 AM
peanut butter, pizza, hummous!

Glory87
12-14-2006, 12:08 PM
For me, trigger foods are foods that I can't stop eating. Sugar has that effect on me, when I take a bite of something with sugar (cookies, candy) I immediately (while I'm still chewing) want another bite. It's hard to explain, it's like I want to keep the sweet taste in my mouth, so I want to keep cramming food in. If I want to eat something sweet, it has to be in a "controlled" situtation. If someone came in my office and offered me a single cookie, I might eat it. If someone came in my office and offered me a full opened box of cookies, I would recoil from it like it was a poisonous snake - because that's what it would be to me.

I have never in my life been able to open a box of cookies, take out two cookies, close the box and eat only those 2 cookies. I would eat them, and go back and get two more and two more and two more.

I try to avoid any food that I know will be hard for me to stop eating. My trigger foods are: junk chocolate candy (like M&Ms or hershey's kisses, I've eaten entire bags at one sitting), cookies (any kind, packaged or home made), pretzels, tortilla chips (at a Mexican restaurant, I can't have one because I literally can't stop eating them - I have to push the basket as far away from me as possible), donuts, birthday cake (I'll scrape the leftover icing off the serving plate if no one is watching), ice cream - no way I could ever scoop out a 1/2 cup serving and stop if there was an open tub I had free access to, cold cereal (like Kashi Go Lean Crunch or Frosted Mini Wheats), and pizza (I think it's the crust that sets me off).

Since it's easier for me to say "no" to the first bite, that's what I do. It is nearly impossible for me to say "no" to the second bite. Once I start, I have a very very hard time stopping.

I don't completely deny myself treats, but I am very careful in how I eat them. No packages or big containers for the house, definitely no ice cream. Sometimes at work, I get a single biscotti for my coffee. When I go out with friends, I split a dessert. I may buy single serving squares of dark chocolate (1 at a time).

I hate eating out of my control, I hate how it makes me feel. I don't want to feel bad so I try not to put myself in that position.

RRVMMM
12-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Cheese Fries, and like another lady said small foods, anything easy to pop into the mouth, chocolates, nuts, popcorn, little smokies, if it is small I can eat it all day.

sakuya3834
12-14-2006, 01:19 PM
Cookies... That's pretty much the only thing, and ONLY homemade cookies.

Kokomo
12-15-2006, 05:32 AM
Chocolate, cake with icing, nuts. I can go a long time with just a portion of cheese but have found it a trigger food sometimes