Old 12-13-2006, 01:28 PM   #1  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

Default Maybe maintenance is enough

for now? I feel like everything I encounter is trying to keep me from loosing weight right now! I know I always get a "second wind" of weight loss motivation at the new year, maybe i should just try and maintain until then to keep from going crazy at all of these holiday functions How are you ladies doing with the holiday syndrome of food, eggnog and yummy coctails everywhere?
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:46 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Maintaining is definitely better than gaining, and definitely an accomplishment at this time of year! I, personally, am still trying to lose. I had a horrible Thanksgiving diet-wise and ended up all the way back up at 300 pounds. As of this morning, I'm at 290.5, so I've been doing something right since then, and I hope to keep doing it! I figure if I can resist the temptations at this time of year, then I can resist ANYTHING! I have not so much as had a single M&M that I didn't plan into my menu. I account for everything that goes into my mouth, and I refuse to go over my goal of 1800 average daily calories each week. I don't drink at all, so that will help a bit with the upcoming holiday parties. Other than that, I just do not give in. At all. Have a piece of cake and some cookies or lose a pound this week...I choose the pound

I want to stress that I don't think anyone is wrong for not continuing to try to lose weight during this difficult dieting season. It's just that I, personally, have a HUGE issue with "moderation." As a recovering binge eater, I'm an all or nothing kind of girl, and the time has come for me to choose nothing. I know if I allow myself 1 cookie, it will quickly turn into 10 cookies, a milkshake, 5 pieces of pizza, and a candy bar
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

I pretty much "maintained" during the summer and all the vacations that went along with that. I'd "maintain" right now, but I really want to get to goal!!! I'd say do whatever you want to do, but be sure to come back to get back on track after the holidays. It's kind of like taking a break, but not completely, because you still have that goal of not gaining anything back.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #4  
julie

S/C/G: 239/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'2

at this time of year it is great to try and maintain but also try and keep counting what you eat. you might surprise yourself and lose. maybe your at a plateu and need to look at what your doing closer. it can't hurt. good luck.
jaceycat28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:32 PM   #5  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

I know what you mean denice, it is difficult! Maintenance is definitely a great goal to have for this month if you think you might go crazy trying to lose.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

This should not be a one time diet but a change in your lifestyle. Part of that means that there are holidays & we all need to find ways to cope with that. I personally don't believe we need to be perfect at all times. So yes, I think maintenance is MUCH better than gaining & more than acceptable instead of losing. Good luck!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:44 PM   #7  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

I'm already up a few pounds for the "holidays" and they aren't even close to over. If I could maintain my weight through thanksgiving and xmas I would be ecstatic.
For me the alcohol is the worst. I don't drink alot, and with all the get-togethers lately I definitely notice a difference on the scale. A few white russians one night is enough to stall me for the week even if my diet is strict.
My body decided FOR ME that I won't be losing any more weight until all the company is gone and things settle down....it's my mind that has to do some catching up so that I don't get frustrated and disappointed and start eating all the horrible (but delicious) food that I'm faced with constantly lately. Christmas candy, cookies, etc, have been flooding my table for two weeks now already!
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Although I don't plan on over indulging on anything and I plan to eat as cleanly as possible, I have decided not to try and lose weight until January. I had said that I maintained for most of the summer and then got back on track afterward--when I did that, the pounds came off quite quickly. So I'm thinking that if I do it again for the next 3 weeks, I'll really jump into it in January and lose those last 5 pounds.

Maybe those of us that are going to do this should all meet back here in January and compare where we are and what we did and work together to get going again.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:16 PM   #9  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Allison- that sounds good. I'm still struggling not to gain right now, and feel confident that I will be ready for another go in January.
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote