Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-12-2006, 12:06 AM   #1  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Default Non-Disgusting Protein Powder?

Alright, alright, I admit it.

I need a protein shake in the morning. I do not have time to make eggs, etc and I love anything that can be sucked through a straw as I run out the door.

But I can't... I can't get over protein powder. It's disgusting. It's either so coyingly nutrasweeted up that I can't stomach it or "flavored" in such a way that it makes me want to scrape my tongue. WORSE! It comes in a vat of 20 pounds so if you don't like it, you are stuck with it for like a YEAR!

I admit that I haven't tried a ton of powders (refer back to the 20# vat). So I am open to suggestions. Do you have a protein powder you like? Do you make your shakes without a powder?
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I've tried alot and my fav is Designer Whey in chocolate. I put it with 1/2 pkg of frozen strawberries, 2 c water and 3 scoops powder and I like it. I sip it thru a straw for breakfast too. I just noticed on the vat today that they say on the label they have been the best selling brand since 1993, so it might be worth trying! By the way, this recipe makes TWO 18 oz servings.

Last edited by sportmom; 12-12-2006 at 03:11 PM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:10 AM   #3  
Mel

Personally I like most protein powders, but if you can taste the chemical aspect of the sweeteners, I can see how you'd find them "disgusting". I have two suggestions for you. The first is proteinfactory.com. You still have to buy a large quantity, but YOU specify the ingredients.
Second suggestions is go shopping at several health food stores, or a Vitamin Shop, or look on the web for places that sell individual packets for you to try before you buy the 2.5 pound cannister. I was at a health food store near me yesterday and they had about 20 different protein powders in individual packets. Yes, they are expensive that way, but a lot cheaper than throwing away a cannister.

Proteinfactory will even make up a totally unflavored and unsweetened blend for you that you can add fruit or the flavor/sweetener of your choice when you mix it.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:12 AM   #4  

I use the GNC brand. I was able to buy a bag, which has lasted me for weeks. I think the vats are made for bachelors that live on the stuff
MissDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:32 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I love protein factory as well. It is hard to find a protein powder that doesn't have any sweeteners and I've tried. I usually alternate between buying a powder through protein factory and buying a powder that contains stevia.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #6  

I buy whey protein from The Vitamin Shop, and then blend it with ice cubes, non-fat milk and a banana. I like banana's because they mask the chalkiness of the protein powder.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I can't remember the name of the whey protein our trainer recommended, but my post lift-drink of choice is:

- Mix 1-2 scoops of protein powder with 8 oz of OJ in the blender.
- Then blend in 150 g of mixed frozen berries (unsweetened), which are thawed a few seconds in the microwave.
- Then blend in a little bit of ice to add some bulk.

It is delicious and I don't even notice the powder. You could skip the OJ and reduce the calories.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:29 PM   #8  

You might even try that without defrosting the berries, putting them in frozen, and then not needing to add ice. I find that using frozen fruit with water makes it thicker and milk-shake-like. Just thought I would pass that along in case you are looking for timesavers!
Old 12-20-2006, 11:17 AM   #9  

Fran -- I tried it without defrosting the berries, but my blender didn't take the large strawberries very well... it kept choking. Then again, that was when I was first starting and I think I have a better understanding of the blender now... I'll try that again...
Old 12-20-2006, 04:27 PM   #10  

THat could be true with the berries frozen, hadn't thought of that. I was banana-less this week so made mine just w/strawberries no banana and liked it much better. The bananas get mushy and so don't break up well in blender, and that clogs the straw I use to drink it with (or I get a nana clump in my throat - barf!) With only berries my straw worked much better and I was very happy! But beware of brain freeze!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:11 PM   #11  
Mel

When bananas get to the "better eat the NOW" stage at my house, I peel them, wrap them in saran, and freeze. A frozen banana is the perfect consistency for blending with protein powder. They'll keep in the freezer for a few months.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:24 PM   #12  

Mel -- OH! Thanks for that tip!

I really like the berry smoothie I've been eating/drinking, but it's so cold lately I don't always want something that cold. I tried mixing the powder in oatmeal, but that didn't work well (I mixed the powder with water separately first). Any ideas for warming things up ??
Old 12-21-2006, 09:33 AM   #13  
sfj

Default I have found in all my years at this

what I think to be one of the best tasting powders.

It is called Muscle Provider and is made by Beverly Inter.

Their chocolate is yummy.

As far as I know, you can only get it at the website and it is a little on the expensive side.

I dont know if I'm allowed to post the website though.

Nutrition Facts
Servings Size 1 Scoop ( 30grams )

Serving Per Container about 32

Amount Per Serving
Calories 115
Calories from Fat 9

% Daily Value**

Total Fat 1g 2%
Cholesterol 0%
Sodium 155mg 6%
Potassium 350mg 10%
Total Carbohydrate 5g 2%
Sugars 0g
Sugar Alchol 0g
Protein 22g 45%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 8%
Calcium 8%
Iron 5%
** Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values
may be higher or lower based on you calorie needs.
sfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:39 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I have use whey protein (plain from the bulk food store) with splenda and a strong cup of black coffee. It made a nice warm drink.

Hmmm .... how would that be with chocolate powder?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:27 PM   #15  

hmmm.... Susan, that sounds good. We have chocolate powder too. I will have to try it!