Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #1  

Height: 5`2

Default steel cut oats

Why are my steel cut oats slimy? When you cook them are they supposed to do that?
Snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:23 AM   #2  

Height: 5`2

41 looks and no one has a comment or answers?
Snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #3  

I have never used steel cut oats. What do you mean by slimy? I find oatmeal in general to be a little, um, gummy? slick?
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Sorry, never made steel cut oats either. I like my oatmeal very "cake-like" (can't stand runny oatmeal) so I use less water.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #5  

I have made mine in a crockpot and didn't think they were slimy??? Slick maybe, but not distasteful.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:54 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I find steel cuts are a little runnier than ordinary oats, but if you cook them longer they firm up. They probably take a little more cooking than rolled oats. I like the crunchy bits
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 208

Height: 5'3

I am going to get some steel cut oats soon... will let you know how they turn out...
Indiacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:47 AM   #8  

They take a lot more cooking than regular oats. The crockpot method works great. It isn't slimy when cooked enough.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #9  
hara hachi bu

Yeah, they do require more cooking time, and if you cook them longer they will be a little more gummed together.

Steel-cut oats are my favorite breakfast food! Add some nuts, wheat germ, ground flaxseed, and some fruit ... delish.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:19 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/188/140

Height: 5'4"

We eat steel cut oats all the time and I do get a coating on the top that I guess you could call slimy but mainly when I use milk/soy milk/rice milk as part of the cooking liquid. It's not so much when I only use water and add the milk after cooking. My Moosewood cookbook has a fabulous recipe for oven baked oats that is sooooo good, you should try that one. Let me know if you want me to post the recipe. I think it's in the Moosewood Favorites book. Someday I will make a pilgrimage to the Moosewood Collective Restaurant!

Janelle
Mama to 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:57 AM   #11  

Please post the recipe! I want to try steel cut oats and am leary about how to cook them.

Thanks!
Elaine
Lainie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/188/140

Height: 5'4"

Arrow Oven Apple Oats

Here is the recipe from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics:

...The result is a very creamy and fluffy oatmeal that is lighter than bread pudding but somewhat reminiscent of it.

Serves 4

3 1/2 cups 2% or whole milk
1 cup Irish oats (steel cut oats)
2 t. pure maple syrup
1/2 t. freshly grated nutmeg
1 to 1 1/2 cups peeled and diced apples
2/3 c currants or raisins, or less to tast
1/2 t. salt

Preheat oven to 375.

In a saucepan, heat the milk on medium heat until very hot but not quite boiling; stir occasionally to prevent scorching. Stir in the oats, maple syrup, nutmeg, and diced apples and continue to cook for several minutes, just until the mixture returns to a boil. Remove from the heat, add the currants or raisins and the salt, and mix well.

Spoon the oatmeal mixture into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish (I recommend spraying the dish with Pam), cover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed and the oatmeal is creamy. The oatmeal "casserole" will puff up slightly when finished. Stir well just before dishing it up and eat while piping hot.

Per serving:
338 calories
13.5 g protein
6.4 g fat
59.9 carbs
402.2 mg sodium
6.5 g fiber

It is definitely nice enough for company too!

Enjoy!
Mama to 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #13  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

I made these the other day for the first time and really enjoyed them. They were not slimy but I kept stirring them as they were cooking. I will try that recipe next time I do them looks good. Definetly a weekend thing.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #14  
2007-2009

S/C/G: 226/226/125

Height: 5'3"

wow! i JUST made a post about these!
i made this yesterday in a rice cooker to eat off of during the week...this morning it was AWESOME - all i needed was to add a touch of milk and microwave - absolutely no sweetener was needed...here it is:

2 cups steel cut oats (i bought it in bulk from Sprouts)
2 cups oat bran
2 chopped apples
1 cup raisins
32 oz unsweetened almond milk (the entire box - the blue diamond brand is an unbelievable 40 calories pepr cup and so creamy!)

i cooked this until it was done.
i hope you enjoy it as much as i do.
if you ever need any sweetener for it, i would suggest the amber agave nectar - it is great in hot grain cereals.
twoyearplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've been eating steel cut oats made with just water and I like it a lot. I added some cinnamon, nuts and protein powder to make it a complete meal. Also, when I reheated it, I used some unsweetened almond milk to moisten it up a little.

Last night I made a big boo boo. This weekend, I cooked the steel cut oats in the rice cooker but the rice cooker majorly overflowed and made a huge mess. They did taste really good though. So last night, i put 2 cups of steel cut oats and a little over 4 cups of water. Anyway, 8 hours later, I had steel cut oats with a crust and no water. I started adding water to the crockpot and the unburned oats soaked up the water. After getting the oats to a moistened point, i scooped out some, added some cinnamon, almond milk, walnuts and a little bit of protein powder. It tasted really good I'm having "issues" with raisins at the moment (can't control myself) so I'd love to add them as well but I can't.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote