Simply Filling/Core - new core summary

View Full Version : new core summary

andreaphilip3
12-09-2006, 01:57 PM
http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=3&art_id=15531&sc=2

Vickie
12-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks, Andrea! I looked at the Core Food List and didn't see any changes. Is this the new list? I don't have acess to any of the other options since I'm not a paying online or etools member. I'm really looking forward to my meeting on Monday.

septembersgoal
12-09-2006, 03:32 PM
There's lots of chatter on the WW message boards about the "changes." I didn't spend a lot of time reading, but it looks like the changes are not much to get too excited about to me. Apparently they're restricting snacks now??
http://www.weightwatchers.com/community/mbd/threads.aspx?board_id=350&forum_id=1&daterange=2days&viewchange=OPENDATEDESC&setviewHidden=TRUE

septembersgoal
12-09-2006, 03:41 PM
From what I can understand, and I may be wrong, WW is now saying that we can only have the following as "core" snacks:
At Snack Time Choose:
Fat-free milk
Fruits and veggies
Popcorn (94% fat-free)
Vegetable soup
Weight Watchers Fruities
1 Weight Watchers Smoothie

You can also use your weekly POINTS Allowance for between-meal snacks.
Apparently anything core is no longer good enough. Forget that! I think I'll stick with the old program for sure. Such confusion!

Katpo
12-09-2006, 04:53 PM
I saw that too. If they're going to restrict snacking, they're going to lose a lot of us! I don't think I've ever thought of vegetable soup as a snack! :lol:

Still, though, there doesn't seem to be any change to the other Core list.

andreaphilip3
12-09-2006, 07:01 PM
hey guys

should be interesting. like vickie, i do not have access to physical materials at the moment bc i no longer attend so my hope is that seeing as though ww says that as of tomm kits will go on sale and techn. 1201 is 'tomm' im hoping the home section will be accepting orders at that time bc i have to wait to receive the kit bc my residence doesnt qualify to have a kit but i have family who does so thats where i send it but wonty see them til xmas so im looking to process asap so its there early enough so i have it by xmas

this may be a rumor but some are saying we can have carbs at 3 meals now

ontarget
12-09-2006, 07:41 PM
i'll bring back info from my meeting next week.

Vickie
12-09-2006, 09:47 PM
I'm looking forward to my meeting. Hmmmm....haven't said that in a while!

andreaphilip3
12-09-2006, 11:00 PM
good luck!

QuilterInVA
12-11-2006, 05:06 PM
You always could have carbs at three meals, for example oatmeal for breakfast, polenta for lunch and a baked sweet potato with dinner.

derrydaughter
12-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Just want to add that I got my new materials today and was very annoyed with the new restrictions on snacking. I switched from Flex to CORE a few weeks ago and I'd been on a plateau for ages and have finally seen some success with this. I don't do all that much snacking as I have been recognizing that some people have failed with CORE due to all day eating, which can get one into trouble.
I will probably continue as I have been as I have seen losses, finally, and don't see that what I have been doing is wrong.
I like to snack on a bit of protein in between meals and have almost like a mini meal with a piece of fruit and glass of water, it's better than all the carbs I might have had in the past.
I was truly annoyed that their Smoothies and Fruities were on the list of very few foods that we could have in between meals, such a transparent thing to do for them as those Smoothies are so very expensive.
I pay $12.00 a week for my meetings and I pay for my daughter to go with me as well, that's $24.00 a week, to restrict the list to very few foods and to put on that minimal list two items that they made a ton of money on is really pushy, if you ask me.
I think I'm going to boycott the Fruities now, even though I like them and have been buying them just to make my point about this.
I've not bought the Smoothies anyway as I always thought they were very expensive and I just can't afford them.
I'd love to hear some other views on this.
Linda

Katpo
12-12-2006, 11:01 PM
I thought I was going to buy Fruities on ebay for less ... and actually the cheapest was four multipacks, which was 12 packages, for about $20 shipped. The price on WW site, with shipping, was the same but for five multipacks.

The online tools still list popcorn, SF/FF pudding, SF jello, etc. as snacks. It doesn't say anything about restricting it, so I'm not sure how I would do things differently at this point.

Don't you think that if we still wanted to eat 5-6 small meals, and include protein at each, and everything's STILL Core, that it would be okay? I don't think I'm going to change anything for now, but would still like to hear what everybody else thinks.

septembersgoal
12-12-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm going with the old plan, and not worrying about changes. I do well enough to stay op any way!! :p

Vickie
12-13-2006, 12:24 AM
My Leader advised that the snack list is recommendations. I know the rumors are that the Leader's guide says the list is all inclusive. I'ved decided that as long as I stay all Core and eat small amounts whenever I'm truly hungry, then I'm on program and am not going to count points. If I were to restrict myself, then I'd be back to overeating at meal time to make sure I can make it to the next meal. To me, that defeats the purpose. There is always confusion at new program time. I'm going to wait until this all shakes out before I make any drastic decisions.

Linda, if it ain't broke...don't fix it!

ontarget
12-13-2006, 12:27 AM
ditto

derrydaughter
12-13-2006, 06:48 AM
You guys are right. I'm going to ignore these changes to their program, if I can lose about a pound a week (which is how CORE has been so far for me) the way I've been going all along, then I am doing OK. I think, for example, that if I wanted a half cup of FF cottage cheese in between meals, if lunch wasn't "holding me" I can't see much difference between that food and a Smoothie, both offer similar things to my body and probably very similar calories.
I will probably lose control and regain some weight over the holidays, but I accept that, and it's OK by me. I think CORE gives me exactly what the word implies, a CORE base of foods that I can fall back on when I've been eating the wrong things at certain times, like a party for example.
I think these new restrictions are for those who can't portion control and don't have a "red light" when it comes to overeating. I have heard some people in meetings make remarks about CORE not being for them as it sort of gave them permission to eat out of control, all day. I don't have time for that and I know better, I've been a WW for far too long.
As a lifetime member, who went off the wagon, I know all too well what kind of trouble you can get yourself into if you ignore portion control and what you eat. The are extenuating circumstance in my case, like medications, menopause and two deaths in the family, but I still hate what I did to myself.
My way of dealing with the loss of both my mom and dad, 4 months apart from each other was to self-medicate with food. I regained all my weight back and then some. I'm done with that now and recognize what I did. If it happened all over again, though, I don't know if I could stop myself from going for chocolate doughnuts and losing control when I was so upset.
At any rate, CORE keeps me "in check" and I like that. The treats that I really would love to have and would "excuse" if I were on the flex plan by using flex points, and then some, seem really out of control nowadays.
I wonder if you all think that we CORE people eat basically like a diabetic? I must read through the new materials more today, as there was a page in there, I noted, with a glycemic index or something like that. Truly sounds like a diabetic thing. Diabetes is "epidemic" nowadays, so it all makes so much sense to me.
Hope I made some sense here,
Linda

Vickie
12-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Linda, we are SO soul Sisters. I've medicated with food all my life and am in recovery. Let's do this together. And when you get there, you can reach back and drag me with you!

derrydaughter
12-13-2006, 06:51 PM
And, if you get there first, reach bag and drag me too!
Soul sisters, I love it!
So, what's on your dinner plate this evening?
My plate has ham, baked potato and on the side WW garden vegetable soup. All CORE... but I will put margarine (the Lee Iococca kind) on my baked potato and count the flex points for that. If any margarine (I've yet to try a FF kind) could be core, it's this one kind as it's made with all the "good" oils for the most part. So, I like using it when I want margarine/butter, it's better than most margarines in flavor and about as healthy as that kind of product can get.
If any you use margarines, what kinds are you using and what do you consider healthiest?
Linda

Vickie
12-13-2006, 08:55 PM
I love the taste of ICBINB but it has trans fats in it. So I'm back on Smart Balance and Smart Balance light. No hydrogenated or partially hydrogented. It's got some pretty darned great oils in there. They have a FF but I haven't tried it yet.

I put margarine on my veggies. It's the only way I can get them down. For now I pay points.

I had Chicken Cacciatorre tonight. It was fabulous.

aghiowa
12-13-2006, 09:15 PM
I like the taste of Smart Balance too, but it has canola oil in it, which I'm allergic to. If I have it in small amounts, I'm fine, which I guess is good for my diet! :lol:

I usually just use spreadable fruit or something instead of ff margarine, because to me, it tastes like butter-flavored plastic.

Angela

ontarget
12-13-2006, 09:56 PM
"soul sisters" i love it!! you girls can both grab me and drag me, too.

i just bought several boxes of light blue bonnet margarine. (50 cents ea) i'm counting the points.

linda, your dinner sounds yummy. makes me drool.

Katpo
12-13-2006, 10:18 PM
I eat Take Control margarine but just a little bit, and only on vegetables. Judd likes Promise Light. We have some Smart Balance Light and he'll eat it (if he has to) on vegetables but not on his wheat bread.

derrydaughter
12-17-2006, 07:38 AM
I'm going to check the packaging on a few margarine when I am at the grocery store today. There is another I like that comes in a blue and white plastic container that has yogurt blended with it, Brummel and ___? or something like that. I wonder if it has trans fats or any of the bad stuff?
I can't get down a baked potato without butter or margarine on it, either. Veggies, I have found that I can eat them lightly salted (which isn't that good either, I know, but I use lite salt at least) but a baked potato is just something that is "boring" without something on it. I've tried FF plain yogurt or FF sour cream, but it tastes pretty awful to me.
I have taken leftover baked potatoes (I usually bake one or two extra ones if I am heating the oven anyway) and dice them and saute' them in 2 tsp. (per potato) olive oil with onion powder and S+P to brown them. They make a lovely side dish or breakfast "hash brown" and are totally core.
I am going to try to find a recipe for a potato pancake browned in olive oil as they are basically grated potato with egg and onion browned in oil. Sounds like it would be totally CORE and yummy, but one would have to really pay attention to portion control, of course.
I'm totally alone for dinner this evening, by the way. My son is at work, my daughter will be on a date and my husband has to leave on a business trip this afternoon. I shall make my own dinner, truly what I want and catering to no one else's food interests in the house. I look forward to doing this for a change.
I think it will be fresh fish (probably haddock or swordfish) with brown rice and asparagus? We'll see. By the way, did you know that asparagus is a natural diuretic? If you have overeaten, it can help purge your system!
Linda

Vickie
12-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Linda, try the oven fries. I, too, do not enjoy a baked potato very much without a lot of margarine or sour cream. I can get them down with FF sour cream but don't enjoy them much that way. Jim and I eat the oven fries at least once or twice a week. It's a delightful way to get your 2 teaspoons of healthy oil in. The recipe is on our board. Let me know if you can't find it. Try them at least once.

andreaphilip3
12-17-2006, 12:24 PM
hi guys!:)

linda: well said. i think i may end of iggying the rules too based on what ive heard. seems the new rules are making ppl obsess more over food. i thought the whole idea of core was to make it more natural. the whole ww product nonsense is just that. its nonsense!

QuilterInVA
12-19-2006, 02:48 PM
The core list is certainly not small by any means. I know a lot of people were complaining about not losing or small losses but from their menus they were eating way too big snacks. Everyone needs to judge that for themselves. Just because WW put 2 items on the core list does negate everything. No one said they were mandatory.

ontarget
12-19-2006, 03:37 PM
susan, i just looked at your tracker. congratulations, girl. that's an awesome accomplishment.

derrydaughter
12-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Susan, you certainly have had good results - way to go!
I get weighed in today. I'm afraid that though my intentions were good ones, the approaching holiday has affected many of my meals already this past week. I hope to have a loss, but who knows? Their scales are always different than mine.
Plus, I think I overate at lunch, which will add to my weight. I do think the new rules are making me obsess quite a bit and worry more. I need to chill out and not thing.
Lunch was a boneless chicken breast cooked in 2 tsps oil, lima beans and wax beans. I feel full. I'm going to try to not even have water before my meeting, which is in a little under 2 hours as that will increase my weight as well.
I do stress out about weighing in, I even worry about what I am wearing, take of my watch and my belt each week. I should just wear the watch and belt for one week and then go from there and keep them on, but I go a bit insane over it.
Linda

Itryharder
12-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Hi, You gals sound like you're doing great. I noticed two foods that are now absent from the previous Core list. Vegetarian baked beans (certainly a trigger for me) and regular couscous. Whole wheat couscous is fine, so I think I'll make the changeover.

My WW leader said that there were members eating 1/2 a chicken as a snack and wondering why they weren't losing weight. Well, come on!!!! I am going to assess this program and think about tweaking my snacks after the New Year, but I am not going to let Core feel like a "diet" because that will get me every time!

Also, my leader says that if you are accustomed to eating 6 small meals a day, there is no reason to stop doing that. I think WW's just wants people to be aware of what they are doing, especially with snacking. I have to admit I was ticked when I first saw the changes, and am definitely considering not changing over to them.

Good luck to a great group of gals. And Happy Holidays to all! :cheer:
Judy/Itryharder

Vickie
12-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Hey Judy! Happy Holidays to you and your family. I'm going back hardcore on December 27th. I'm actually looking forward to it!

derrydaughter
12-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Hi guys!
Ta Da!!!! I lost another pound as of yesterday's weigh in. I am pleased as I did dine out on Saturday night, tried to order somewhat core foods and did have wine. I also had wine and a few Christmas cookies and STILL lost weight! I'm really liking the CORE plan!
I have tried as best as I can to each core meals at home, but I am not beating myself up if I can't do it all the time at every meal. This is the holiday season, there will be some treats and I am actually taking the weekend off, and with no guilt, this upcoming weekend. That doesn't mean that I won't be really good, but if there are some treats around and a few meals that are not CORE, particularly on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, I'm ok with that.
I brought my WW leader flowers last night, she was so pleased. I hugged her and thanked her for 24 pounds lost from both my daughter and myself. However, after weight in last night it's now 28 pounds lost!
Linda

Itryharder
12-20-2006, 09:15 PM
congaratulations derrydaughter.
Vickie, I wasn't sure if anyone would remember me, so your happy holidays message was really a treat! Right now I'm maintaining, but that gets old, so it'll be strict core for me in the New Year as well. For these next two holidays, I am going to eat more fruit and count the 35 points carefully so I won't end up with a huge gain.
Good luck to us all!
Judy

ontarget
12-21-2006, 01:59 AM
congratulations, linda to you and dd. that's awesome!

judy, i'm trying to be careful now, too. i really want a loss this month. i'm ready to shed the rest of this fluff.

derrydaughter
12-21-2006, 06:31 AM
Judy, I was wondering if you might elaborate on how maintenance works when you are on CORE? I know with maintenance on flex, they would calculate a few more points per day and you just have to be careful.
I think maintenance might be easier on CORE and I wonder if you would continue to lose a bit until your body stabilizes as a certain good weight for the foods you are taking in?
I can't imagine eating more or less than I am right now, in a way, though eating more would be fine by me! In my own thinking, being on CORE is really eating more of what I would refer to as "perfect" foods for the body, if you are eating what is truly healthy then your body will probably settle in at a perfect weight?
I say this, of course, recognizing that portion sizes are a must. I've not been having trouble with the new CORE guidelines for in between meal snacks, as I've had very little time for snacking lately. I've got to be ready for Christmas and not a moment is being wasted!
Linda

ontarget
12-21-2006, 11:14 AM
linda, i just reread your post about your weigh-in rituals. i have some, too. i have a windbreaker suit (10 yrs old) that is super light weight. i wear it a lot in the winter to wi, especially if i know a loss is going to be a close call. dh doesn't understand about taking off shoes when weighing. i have tried and tried to explain to him. you'd think he'd realize his size 15 must weigh at least 2 lbs. i wouldn't even weigh in flip flops.

QuilterInVA
12-21-2006, 02:49 PM
I'm on maintenance and you do get more points. I don't use them for more food instead I use low fat cheese, flavored yogurt, bread, nuts and restaurants. I am not a fan of the full of chemicals nonfat foods.

Itryharder
12-21-2006, 09:32 PM
derrydaughter,
Ohmigoodness, I am sorry I wasn't more careful in my writing. What I meant to say is that I have a great deal more weight to lose, but right now I am maintaining my weight. In my case, that isn't a good thing, but since I gain weight so easily it's not the end of the world during Christmas and New Years for me to maintain. That is much better than putting on 4-5 pounds over these next two weeks and being really disappointed in myself. So, I am glad that quilter gave you a good reply since she knows what members do when they reach their goal weights.
Good luck to everybody. It's good to see familiar names here.
Judy/Itryharder

derrydaughter
12-23-2006, 08:23 AM
Judy, I get it now! I really would like to know more about maintenance and the CORE plan, though. It's certainly interesting to have that "eat until you are satisfied" concept, when you think about it. Because, if you were doing that all the time, how would you do maintenance? There must be a levelling off point with the weight loss?
I have a long way to go as well, slow and steady wins the race!
Linda

Vickie
12-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Linda, did you see the link I gave you to our Core chat thread?

andreaphilip3
12-23-2006, 05:27 PM
dd: im not on maintainance but i think the way they work it is to choose slightly higher fat but healthy foods like nuts and such

Captain Ladybug
01-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Now my leader told us that the list of snacks is what you can have for snacks - anything else you eat you must count. But I agree with who ever said it (forgive me I forgot) that sometimes you want a little protein as a snack instead of going for carbs. As for the fruities ans smoothies I can leave them. I think the fruities have spenda or something in them (I can't do that stuff) and besides being so expensive I'm really not crazy about the smoothies. Alot of people were thinking of switching to Core for the new year (myself included) Hopefully it won't be so crazy. Oh the other thing that that changed is cous cous (if anyone is a fan..) well now you can only have whole wheat you can just have regular anymore (at least that's what they are saying) Some times I wonder if it wouldn't just be easier just sticking to flex?

Any thoughts on that?

derrydaughter
01-02-2007, 06:32 AM
Ladybug, I'm officially re-starting CORE today. I have to admit to taking the last week and a half off from any kind of thing that even resembled Weight Watchers. I could have done worse, but I have been no angel.
I am really preferring CORE nowadays to flex as I am sick of journalling, but I think I will go back to a journal temporarily for a few days to help get myself back on track.
I love couscous and will be looking for the whole wheat kind. My problem is that I love couscous with tons of butter and parmesan cheese on it, but I'll find a way to get past that.
Linda

Vickie
01-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Linda, I hear Trader Joe's has the ww kind. I haven't looked for it yet. I'm the only one who eats it so I can't make it for dinner. Jim just HATES the texture of it. He said it feels like little pebbles in his mouth. He eats everything else Core...just not that.

derrydaughter
01-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Vickie, we don't have a Trader Joe's near us, but we do have a really great health food type of store right down the street, surely they will have it and probably in bins that I can scoop out what I need.
I think (don't quote me on this) that you can have couscous at lunchtime and still have either rice, ww pasta or a baked potato at supper. I'm always looking for a CORE starch item to have with lunch.
I really like couscous, in general, so will probably enjoy the whole wheat kind. I did see some in the store that I was in this morning, but it was in a rather large and expensive container and I would prefer a smaller size to start off with to see if I like it.
I can now report that I have a "clean kitchen" as of today! All the "bad" (non-CORE) food is either tossed out or in the freezer. Nothing is out on the counters and there are no candy dishes and nut bowls around the house to tempt me.
Next year, I want to have a healthier food Christmas. I wonder if I will get there or not? What is is that makes me feel that I just HAVE to have candy and bake cookies and all that stuff?
I made stir fry with all sorts of great veggies for lunch, it was truly great. I even got out the chop sticks and ate with them, I eat slower that way.
Linda