Exercise! - C25K challenge starting December

View Full Version : C25K challenge starting December

babygrant
12-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Noticed the last thread didn't fly and there are quite a few people interested :) So who wants to do a challenge.

I am willing to start anytime but as a group we should come to an agreement I guess eh?

Let me know who is in! :carrot:

sportmom
12-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Can you post a link to the program?

babygrant
12-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Here ya go :)

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

dollypie
12-08-2006, 05:01 PM
babygrant,

I have started week 1, but am taking it really slow. I am willing to start over w/ a new date. In the mean time I can stick to the elliptical and bike.

babygrant
12-09-2006, 07:05 PM
i'm going to start on monday :) give me enough time to get the C25k podcast on my ipod.

dollypie
12-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Okay I started week 2 today and found it quite easy. I am finding it easier to run at a faster pace as well. I would say that I average 5.0 mph when I run and walk at 4.0 mph

Xanadoodle
12-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Hi,
I am getting ready to start the C25K and had a sorta silly question. When they say 20 minutes total or 30 minutes total are they including the 5 minute warmup or is the 5 minute warm up on top of the 20-30 minutes? I really want to be able to run a 5k one day and I want to get this right.

MariaMaria
12-12-2006, 09:07 PM
The times are after warmup. But either way, if you stick with it you'll get to 5K.

MariaMaria
12-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Whoops, I missed that that was your first post, Xana. Good for you. Welcome.

Xanadoodle
12-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks! I am pretty excited about it!

dollypie
12-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Okay ladies so I am on week 2 now and it is not so bad at all. Since I am taking this slow, I am actually doing Week 1 for two weeks, Week 2 for two weeks, and so forth. This way I don't over do it and get discouraged at all. During that second week I try and go for an extra five or ten minutes too.

Are you girls running outside in your neighborhood, outside/inside on a track, or on a treadmill? I am running on a treadmill with an incline of 1 or 2. One of the trainers at the gym told me to at least put it at an incline of 1 to compensate for the wind resistance that you would have running outside.

I agree with Maria, the times are after the warmup. I also do a 5 minute cooldown afterwards as well.

killmisspiggy
12-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Who hasn't started yet???

Xanadoodle
12-14-2006, 09:34 PM
I have just started, I am on d2w1. I can't wait til I'm not exhausted by a 60 second run! I am doing the program on a treadmill in the gym and I think I will incorporate the incline into my workouts from now on, that is a good idea for when I have the courage to try it outside.
I am so excited about being able run a 5k one day! It has been a goal for a long time, I've never really thought I could do it but after reading alot the threads on this board I definitely think that maybe I might be able to do it :)

killmisspiggy
12-15-2006, 03:25 AM
I hope I'll be able to do it. I'm gonna do it inside first. Then I'll go outside if I have the courage to do so. :-)

dollypie
12-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Xanadoodle: It is a great feeling. You will get there! I love your enthusiasm!

babygrant
12-15-2006, 11:54 AM
I haven't started yet :( My 3 year old has been so sick. I am hoping we have all of his meds figured out and then I will be sane enough to start. :(

Xanadoodle
12-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Tomorrow I start week 2! (I even excercised in a hotel fitness room while I was out of town this weekend)

dollypie
12-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Okay second week on Week 2. I did 30 minutes of rotating the minutes plus the 5 minutes warm up and cool down. I think taking this slow is going to be the best bet for me, I will see how it goes!

Xanadoodle, Way to go on finishing Week 1! Doesn't it feel great! You are going to do so good with week 2!

Babygrant, Sorry to hear your kiddo is sick, hope they get better soon!

babygrant
12-18-2006, 11:49 AM
i'm starting today nbut i have one hangup.

my hubby doesnt think i should be running/walking at nigt....but i cant do this during the day. i dont want people seeing me running :( its a self-esteem issue that i am working on but its slow going and thats a hang up.

dollypie
12-18-2006, 06:04 PM
babygrant, don't worry about other people seeing you they really don't care. You should have seen me on the treadmill, I sure I looked like a fish out of water, but we all have to start somewhere. You look fine, what most people will be thinking anyway is they should be doing that instead of eating potato chips and watching TV.

Xanadoodle
12-19-2006, 07:58 PM
I don't think people really care that much either. Of course, I get paranoid that people at the gym will hear my crazy labored breathing as I try to run for 60 seconds and call 911 cause they think I am dying. I just do it anyway and figure that one day I won't have a death rattle when I jog.;)

MariaMaria
12-19-2006, 11:15 PM
And even if someone does care that I look dumb, so what? Why would I care what a stranger thinks?

Xanadoodle
12-23-2006, 03:35 PM
just finished w2d2. Got new running shoes cause I started get pains in my shin and calves. Today it was like running on clouds!
Is anyone else doing the C25K still?

LittleElectron
12-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Hi Xanadoodle! I'm going to start the C25k in Februrary. I'm gonna look to all of you for inspiration! Good luck with the rest of the program:)

dollypie
12-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Okay started week 3 today and made. I felt like such an accomplishment to actually run for 3 minutes straight.

Xanadoodle
12-31-2006, 07:49 PM
Did W3D2 today. It was awesome! I totally agree with the sense of accomplishment you were talking about Dollypie. I am excited about finishing week 3 and hitting the big challenge of week 4.

dollypie
01-02-2007, 01:02 PM
So I am doing week 3 again this week and doubling the time. Just feel that the week 4 routine is a little much for me now.

MariaMaria
01-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Good for you for sticking with it, dollypie. You can do this.

Xanadoodle
01-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Last night I went to the gym resigned to the fact that I was going to have to do a 4th day of week 3, my w3d3 went HORRIBLY (tried running outside on concrete when I normally run on the treadmill). But once I got to the gym I decided to give w4d1 a shot and just see what would happen. I DID IT!!
I should add that halfway through I had to lower the speed on the runs because I was getting too winded, but I was able to maintain running. I might let week 4 last a little longer than the normal 3 days. I think I am still smarting from having such a miserable w3d3.

Dollypie - I totally know how you feel about the fear of moving on. the move from w3 to w4 is really big, but the sense of accomplishment at the end of w4d1 was great!!!

MariaMaria
01-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Concrete is really hard on your legs, and that's on top of the treadmill/no treadmill difference (which seems to be pretty typical in most runners-- running wthout the treadmill is thought of as harder.) If you're going to run outside can you try to find somewhere paved in asphalt, which is much softer?

Good for you for sticking with it. Isn't it fun to see the program working?

susie_sunshine
01-06-2007, 04:49 PM
can i join you guys? i started up week one last week... but will do it again this week just to ease into it. I run on a treadmill.

Is that really me
01-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Hey, can I get in on this challenge too? I just saw this thread and another thread last week on C25K. Had never heard of it; checked it out; looks great. I was treadmilling quite a bit last fall and was kind of doing my own version of a C25K. Broke my toe which completely threw everything off for quite sometime. I've been on the treadmill and dog walking almost everyday this past week. I was going to wait a week or two to start the C25K but am ready to start on Monday. Can I still join in the challenge (please say yes! :D )

Jo

dollypie
01-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Both of you feel free to join in, we are not really all following the program at the same time. We are all at different stages and supporting each other through it. I am actually doing each week for two weeks and just finished Week 3 on their chart. So Week 4 starts on Monday. It looks challenging to me, but 5 minutes of running here I come!

Xanadoodle
01-06-2007, 07:39 PM
The more the merrier!!!
When I first saw the C25K program I figured I would give it a try cause I had always wanted to run a 5k. I didn't realize what a sense of accomplishment I would feel each time I completed a workout. It is addictive!! I like having a goal and each week that I finish is a mini-goal on the way to a 5k.
My suggestion is to GO SLOW!! If you think you can run at 4.9 on the treadmill then take the speed down to 4.6 so that you make sure you don't hurt yourself.
I have found a ton of advice at the coolrunning website.

Tomorrow I start W4D2, I'm gonna take it slower than usual again (still feeling the concrete).

Maria - I figured concrete was a bad idea but I did it anyway, boy did I learn a lesson. I am sticking to the treadmill until I finish the program and then will work on giving asphalt a try.

Good Luck everyone!!

susie_sunshine
01-07-2007, 03:57 PM
I also find it addictive. My problem is that i do really well in the summer and at christmas time when i'm on holidays and i can run mid-day when i have the most energy. Tomorrow i go back to school and things change dramatically. I have such low energy in the morning and in the evening that exercise becomes really difficult. Not to mention getting kids to their activities in the evenings.

Xanadoodle
01-07-2007, 06:52 PM
I exercise in the evenings. My job is pretty stressful at times and all I want to do after work is go home and go to sleep. What keeps me working out on the C25K is that you finish in such a short amount of time. With the warmup walk, run/walk and cooldown I am in and out of the gym in 35 minutes.

dollypie
01-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Okay started Week 4 this week and I thought it would be super tough, but it was so easy. I am enjoying this program so much. Okay Day 2 of Week 4 tomorrow!

Xanadoodle
01-09-2007, 11:22 PM
I did W4D3 today. I had found D1 and D2 doable but today's run just wiped me out. It took a huge force of will to get it finished. I think I didn't hydrate myself enough, not sure. Gonna do an extra day of week 4 before moving on.
how is everyone else doing?

Is that really me
01-09-2007, 11:39 PM
I only just started yesterday. So far, so good. It did take about ten minutes to settle into a rhythm. I had to adjust the running speed down when I walked but eventually settled in for both at 3.7/3.8 mph. I had no problem running for the minute. Actually, I thought the running was more comfortable that the walking. Mind you, 3.7 is not fast! Doing W1D2 tomorrow. Oh, I run on a treadmill but the incline is broken. I read that you should run on an incline to account for wind resistance and road fluctuation outside (if I ever actually go outside to run!). Maybe I'll put some 2x4's under the front of the treadmill. My shins will think I've gone insane!

Jo

dollypie
01-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Okay second day of week 4. The second round of 5 minutes about killed me, but I made it. When I warm up I walk at 3.5 working my way up to 4.0. I run at 5.0 and walk at 4.0 then. Sometimes when I am finished I will run at 6.0 just to see how long I can and last week I made it up to 1 minute but was wipe out.

A few Questions:

1. Do you drink water during your routine and how much?
I usually drink a 20 oz. bottle

2. If you workout in the morning do you eat before?
I don't I crawl out of bed and drive to the gym

3. Do you do strength training along with the cardio?
I do because then has helped the pain of an old knee injury go away.

Xanadoodle: I am planning on doing two weeks of week 4 to build up my stamina. In the second week I may even do another 3 & 5 minute run. I find that doing two weeks of each week really helps me get to the next level.

Is that really me: I usually run with the incline on 1 or 2. I will increase the incline when I walk too. I run a treadmill too, but when it warms up I might take a few days outside.

Is that really me
01-10-2007, 12:24 PM
I just got done W1d2 of the C25K. Went about the same as Monday. I'm glad to read that you're suppose to increase the running speed then decrease the walking speed. I was trying to do both at the same speed and it was too slow for running and too fast for walking! I have a slide type speed button on the treadmill which I don't like. Would much rather punch in the speed I want to go. I have to really fiddle w/the slide thingy to get the speed just right. That's why I'd rather just walk or just run. Hopefully when I done this C25K program I can do just that!

Dollypie -- I drink some water b/4 exercise and after but not during. I usually try to workout b/4 I eat but not always. I don't think it really makes much of a difference either way. I ALWAYS have coffee first thing in the morning though! Wouldn't ever get awake if I didn't have that drug! :) I just started doing some Total Gym work and am revisiting my old Firm tapes. I have found in the past that when I did the Firm tapes (you know they love that fanny lifter) that it worked different muscles in my legs which actually helped tremedously with the treadmill stuff. I do 2-3 days a week for strength, never two days in a row. I try to vary what I do so my muscles and my attention don't get bored!

Xanadoodle
01-10-2007, 07:12 PM
I don't usually drink water while on the treadmill, I go to the gym after work so I try to drink alot of water during the day (except for yesterday). Also, since I work out in the evenings I try to have a very healthy and filling lunch so that I'm not bogged down by too much sugar and fat. Lots of veggies and fruit.

I run at 4.5 and walk at 3.2. Sometimes I take it a little slower, just depending on how I feel.

I am going to start to do strength training when I *officially* finish week 4, I think I might follow Dollypie's suggestion and do an extra week of week 4.

Is that really me - I LOVE the firm! I have the transfirmer system but it is such a pain to set up in the house I am in right now that it just sits in the corner. Hopefully we will be moving/changing the furniture around soon and I can use it again. It would currently take moving a big chair and coffee table about 8 feet on hardwoods every time I want to use it, gets to be a pain.

c_laura
01-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Hey everyone

I'm starting the plan on monday, and I think I'm going to try and run outside. My goal is the actually run in a race one day, and so i think that running outside would be better for me. Anyway its great to see so many people that are beginner runners and proud of it.

Cat

dollypie
01-11-2007, 03:47 PM
c laura,
My goal is to eventually run a 5K by spring or summer. Once it remains sunlight later into the evening or at least until 7pm I will head outside in the evening. I am sure that running outside is much different than the treadmill.

Xanadoodle
01-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Did W4D4 (repeat day of week 4). It went so much better than D3. I feel so good I think I will move onto W5. I'm pretty excited!

dollypie
01-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Okay did W4D3 today. I made, but was tired at the end. Sometimes I think that the end of 5 minutes is never going to come!

707Goddess
01-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Can i join in i saw the site and printed it im going to start tonight ?? or is it too late

JerseyGirl69
01-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Is this Couch 2? Hi y'all!

dollypie
01-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Come on and join we all started at the different times.

Xanadoodle
01-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Jersey - yep, we are c25k, have you tried it?

I hope everyone's run today went well, today is my off day and I am gonna give W5D1 a shot tomorrow. Just wanted to update on how c25k has been working for me. I have really noticed an increase in my overall fitness, things that made me winded just last month are a breeze now. I have been trying to eat healthier since starting the program and I have noticed that when I eat healthy and hydrate myself my runs are soooo much better.
I have lost a little weight but the big difference has been in the all over body strength I feel and there has been a definite change in the way my clothes hang on my body.
I encourage everyone to keep on running!!

cdawson1001
01-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Hey all! I'm trying to get back into shape after having a baby the end of August. Running has always been a challenge for me, but I've always thought it would be cool to run a 5K. So I'm going to give it a shot!

Carrie

RocknRoll
01-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Hi guys! I'm starting C25k today along with my other regular exercise! I used to run 30 mpw a couple years ago and i want to get back into that! I miss running so much! I'll update later on how my W1D1 exercise went!

EDIT: ok i went out and i got a little cramp in the beginning at around 12 minutes and then it went away after a minute. My normal loop i do is 2.25 miles long so i just did the workout all the way to the end which ended up making the Day One Week One workout 30 minutes long :)

I loved it!

Then i did 6 minutes of ab work, 10 minutes of brisk walking at the gym track, and 30 minutes on the elliptical :)

killmissamerica0
01-13-2007, 08:53 PM
hey guys, this C25K thing is such a good idea! I'm going to start tomorrow morning, I have never EVER got up early to exercise before in my life, so this should be interesting if it goes well!! i'm hoping it will keep me awake as I have a big exam on monday and need to revise for the majority of tomorrow!
will report back on how W1D1 goes tomorrow...
Jo

EDIT: I couldn't get my arse out of bed! I got up at 7 and it was still dark, but then I thought, I cant go exercise while its still dark, and went back to bed and didnt get up again! going to have to do it this evening to make up for it.

susie_sunshine
01-13-2007, 09:07 PM
well as predicted... i can't seem to get my but out of bed in the morning to exercise...

I do so well when i'm on holidays then as soon as I get back to school I can't seem to fit it in. Luckily this week we had 2 snow days so I was able to get a run in before i had to leave for work.

I'm so sad... I want to be one of those people who can get up early to exercise..... how do I become one of those people? :(:(:(:(:(

Xanadoodle
01-14-2007, 12:32 AM
Susie - I have tried several times to be a morning exerciser but it never worked. I just hate mornings too much. Now I just make time after work to get it done. I wish I could be a morning person but I just had to accept that it wouldn't happend. bah!

To all the new folks: WELCOME!! c25k is very addictive once you get started!

I am hoping to do W5D1 tomorrow. cross your fingers for me!

killmissamerica0
01-14-2007, 11:20 AM
I did it!! i actually made myself go and run during the day time when people are around as i failed to get up this morning. did W1D1, and i feel so much better now, more alive!!!!

susie_sunshine
01-14-2007, 04:09 PM
I'm just about to do week 3 workout one... wish me luck!

susie_sunshine
01-14-2007, 04:42 PM
yeah i did it!!!!! :):):):)

susie_sunshine
01-14-2007, 04:45 PM
I'm concerned about week 4..... 5 minute run... yikes :O

Xanadoodle
01-14-2007, 05:33 PM
I did W5D1 today!!! It was awesome, i was kinda nervous but I made it through. I think I will do each day of this week twice just to make sure I don't push it too hard.

Susie - I was nervous about week 4, I even did an extra day of it before moving to week 5. Don't let it freak you out, if you have made it this far then you can make it through week 4. I actually slowed down my speed to make it through, i am sticking with the slower speed for the remainder of the program.

susie_sunshine
01-14-2007, 08:53 PM
that sounds like a good plan!

cdawson1001
01-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Well, today was my start day, and I have to say it felt pretty good. Don't get me wrong, I was huffin and puffin at the end, but I made it! I think I will probably need to do each week for 2 weeks to build up my endurance.

However, my treadmill started acting up at the end of my workout. I hope it just needs a day's rest and a good night's sleep to cure its ailments! This would not be a good time for it to break down since I don't have the money to get it fixed right now! We'll see I guess.

Everyone have a great day!

Carrie

RocknRoll
01-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Ok i did W1D1 on sat and sunday so i will do W1D2 today and tomorrow! Then W1D3 on wed and thursday.

o yah, i do all those for thirty minutes. :) i love this! i love the fresh air :)

c_laura
01-15-2007, 08:15 PM
I did it.

well sort of. Today i got out of the house and actually did w1D1. I think after doing that first day I'm probably going to have to more then 1 week of each type. I don't care though, I'm just really glad that I started on the day that I said I would, something that dosen't really happen to me very much.

killmissamerica0
01-17-2007, 10:47 AM
did W1D2 this morning, actually got up at 645am when it was still dark and no one was around! was nice to run around the lake near my halls when it's deadly silent though, saw the swans waking up! Did better than on W1D1, so that's good, but I need to find some scales to weigh myself on, nothing beats the pure exictement I feel when I realise all of this has actually made a difference!!!

MariaMaria
01-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Did better than on W1D1, so that's good, but I need to find some scales to weigh myself on, nothing beats the pure exictement I feel when I realise all of this has actually made a difference!!!

This IS a difference: "Did better than on W1D1"

LondonJulz
01-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Hello all! I just saw a link to this thread within another thread elsewhere on the board. I started the C25K on the 13th. I did W1D1. Then on the 15th, I did W1D2. So, tonight I do W1D3. I'm loving it so far. I could already tell a little difference in my breathing on the second day. But, my calves were burning something fierce when I'd get to the jogging part. I did push through it and got through the entire thing. On the off days from the C25K I do power-walking on the treadmill. On the days that I do the C25K (since it's a shorter workout than I'm used to), I work on my arms with the weights at my gym. Anyway - I'm just really glad that this thread is here! YAY!

RocknRoll
01-17-2007, 09:32 PM
i'm addicted to running again! that europhine is kicking in :carrot:

i finished W1D3 today and i ran two of them twice! Also, i did all of them for 30 minutes instead of 20! I knew i was addicted today when i put bandaids on my ummm sensitive areas and layered up to go running in 20 degree weather. I was freezing at first but it was the easiest and most relaxing of all my runs so far!

I can't wait until i'm back up to six mile days (that was me two years ago and many pounds lighter)

YAY FOR RUNNING!

BUT i'm kind of worried because we are supposed to get icy snow tonight... should i exercise on the treadmill? the treadmill=:devil: for my calves

killmissamerica0
01-18-2007, 09:15 PM
thats true maria, thanks for showing me that! i should remember that exercise isnt just about losing weight but about being fit!! my flatmates think i'm crazy but i'm actually looking forward to doing W1D3 tomorrow..
how are you doing?

Xanadoodle
01-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Hey guys,
did W5D1 for the second time today. I should also mention that I haven't done C25K since Sunday - got lazy. BAD IDEA!!! 3 days off makes for a painful workout. But at least I learned my lesson, I'm not doing that again.
Regardless, I made it through and I think I might do another repeat of W5D1 before moving on. It is a pretty big jump on D2 and D3.

Keep working hard folks!!!

LondonJulz
01-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Does anyone else get the pain in their lower calves and shins when they get to the running part???? Is this just me adjusting to running or is it my shoes????

Xanadoodle
01-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Julz - good chance it is your shoes, how old are they? are they running shoes?

Your best bet is to go to a running store (not a big box sports store) and get them to figure out your foot type and watch how you run. They will be able to give you advice on the best running shoe for you. I had terrible pain in my shins and calves when I first started and since I got good running shoes the pain has completely gone away.

MariaMaria
01-18-2007, 11:33 PM
That pain is shin splints. It can be caused by shoes (so yeah, you should be running in proper running shoes that are correct for your feet), but also it's something almost every new or returning runner gets initially even in good shoes.

If your shoes are good, ice your shins and google "shin splint exercises".

susie_sunshine
01-20-2007, 12:53 PM
I agree, chances are it's the shoes. I went to the running room and they were great! I must have tried on 30 pairs of running shoes till we got it right! You can also try doing some Yoga on your rest days. I find that really helps!

susie_sunshine
01-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Ok, i just did week 3 workout 3 and I'm totally NOT READY for week 4. I think i'm going to add a week 3.5...lol somewhere inbetween !

Xanadoodle
01-21-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm right there with ya Susie! I have done day 1 of week 5 THREE times!! I am finally moving onto day 2 tomorrow (or the next day if work is too crazy).
One thing that has surprised me is that even when I don't think I can make the increase, if I just try, I am able to do it. *of course I still did W5D1 3 times :)

The fact that this program slowly increases your endurance so that you can do more than you could imagine is one of the things that keeps me coming back for each workout. Another thing is that I have lost 3 3/4 inches in a month!!!!! :carrot:

susie_sunshine
01-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Another thing is that I have lost 3 3/4 inches in a month!!!!! :carrot:

Good for you! That's awsome! I'm going to pull out a measuring tape today and start measuring myself... it might be more encouraging than the scale. I will say that on Boxing Day i bought a pair of jeans that were way too small..... but they were on sale for $20 (from $120) i figured they would fit someday...lol. Last night we went out for dinner and I WORE THEM! Ok they were still a tad tight but still!!!:carrot:

Xanadoodle
01-21-2007, 12:09 PM
I do that too!! i bought a pair of khaki pants that were on sale and they were VERY tight (and just plain uncomfortable). That was 3 weeks ago and now they fit perfect!
For me the scale has only registered a one pound loss but I have noticed a big difference in my size.
I measure once a month *officially* but if I haven't seen the scale move in a while then I will pull out the measuring tape and see if there is progress anywhere else. It is a really good motivator!!

susie_sunshine
01-21-2007, 12:16 PM
My scale is evil. I'm sure it's possessed by some sort of weight demon. The demon only likes men because my husband can sneeze and lose 20 lbs..... ARGGGGGGGGGG

dollypie
01-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Okay I am back after a week of nasty ice and everything being shut down even the gym. I did Week 4, but am going to repeat Week 4 again since I have had a week off. That is a week off with no exercise, I hope I can get back on track!

dollypie
01-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Okay girls here is some motivation. My neighbor ran the Houston Marathon in 3hrs and 12min to qualify for the Boston Marathon. I don't think I will ever be at that point, but great motivation!

killmissamerica0
01-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Just started Week 1 again, as i don't feel ready to get onto Week 2 yet! last week I generally had to walk for longer than 90s to get my breath back for the running again, but today i did it in time! woo hoo!!

and well done by the way girlies, especially with fitting into smaller clothes.... i was disappointed that even though i'd been eating well and running that i'd put on a pound, however i thought i'd do what you'd done and try on some jeans i had that i knew i couldn't fit into anymore, and i can fit into them again!!!
i'm estatic!!!

dollypie
01-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Okay did Week4 Day1 after being off a week. It was killer, but I finished!!!!

killmissamerica0 : CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

susie_sunshine
01-24-2007, 10:55 PM
today is my day to run... but i'm just too tired...i'll try in the morning

dollypie
01-25-2007, 11:58 AM
I feel the same way at times, but once I get started I get a burst of energy

dollypie
01-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Okay finished Week 4 today. Week 5 here I come!

Xanadoodle
01-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Well, I have been so busy at work that I haven't gone to the gym since last Saturday. I went today after work and was able to do W5D2! I really thought that after that much time off I would really feel horrible while I was running but I ran for 8 MINUTES STRAIGHT!! TWICE!!
I was giddy (and panting) when I finished.

How is everyone else doing?

dollypie
01-29-2007, 12:23 PM
What an accomplishment Xanadoodle! Way to go!

I am going to start Week 5 tomorrow. I downloaded some new music to my Ipod so I am ready to run tomorrow!

Xanadoodle
01-29-2007, 09:44 PM
So I was able to finish my repeat of W5D2 today. I think I will do it one more time before giving W5D3 a shot - that one is 20 minutes of straight running.

Elerine
01-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Ok, so I'm in! I'll get my friend onto it too! Woohoo! Time to start something new... I guess my main goal is to get fit, I figure the fat will just fall off as I go along...let's see how we go!

Kylie

dollypie
01-30-2007, 04:27 PM
so I worked out with a personal trainer on Sunday and my legs have not recovered yet. My leg muscles are so sore. I am hoping to start week 5 tomorrow, but will see how I feel.

dollypie
01-31-2007, 01:11 PM
Okay did Week 5 Day 1 today and felt great! I am going to do it again though before I move on.

Xanadoodle
01-31-2007, 07:50 PM
way to go dollypie!
week 5 has pretty big jumps in time each day. I plan on doing each day 3 times. I have one more W5D2 to go.

Xanadoodle
02-01-2007, 01:19 PM
So I just did W5D3!!!! I ran an entire 20 minutes!! and it was WAY hard. My heart rate got higher than I have ever seen it and when I was finished and started my cooldown I almost threw up. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it because I was pushing myself? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I really don't want it to happen again cause I don't know if there will be a trashcan nearby:^:

MariaMaria
02-01-2007, 03:04 PM
It's fine, Xana. It's normal in the sense of if you push yourself hard/too hard you may throw up. As you become more fit, you'll be able to go further and faster without feeling sick.

And-- GOOD FOR YOU! HOORAY!

Xanadoodle
02-01-2007, 04:56 PM
thanks maria! I was really excited to have been able to run for 20 minutes but the need to vomit sorta freaked me out. Glad to know that it has happened to others - not that anyone wants to throw up over the side of the treadmill:)

dollypie
02-02-2007, 04:58 PM
HOORAY for XANADOODLE for the being the first to run 20 minutes straight!
I am so proud of you!

I did Week5Day1 for the past two days. I am going to do W5D2 twice next week and then head to day 3. I think it is too much of a jump for me too.

Do you ladies listen to music while to run? If I didn't I don't think I would make it.

Xanadoodle
02-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks Dollypie, it was pretty exciting!

I definitely listen to music while I exercise, I think that is a big part of what helps me finish the workout. When I want to stop I tell myself 'just keep going til the end of the song and see how much time is left', breaking it up into segments like that is really helpful to me.

Elerine
02-04-2007, 05:47 AM
Hey Girls,

I stumbled upon this thread while exploring the site...and I decided to jump on the wagon! (Or was that get off and walk? :p )

I've roped my partner into doing it too, so we both did W1D1 today! Yay! :carrot:

A quick question - it says three times a week, if I do it three days in a row, is that worse than spacing it out during the whole week?

Cheers, and *well done* to you all for getting this far!

Kylie

Xanadoodle
02-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Hi Elerine and Welcome!
I believe the program calls for at least a day off running between workouts. I think they do that to make sure that you avoid getting injured. When there are large step ups in time I will sometimes take more than one day, I just try to listen to my body. I do remember that for the first month that I started I couldn't WAIT to do the next workout, but I forced myself to take it slow.

And congratulations on finishing Day One!!!

dollypie
02-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Good Morning Ladies,

Okay finished W5D2 and it felt fantastic! I didn't think that I would be able to run 8 minutes but I did it. Then on the second round I ran 10 minutes because I had to finish the song. I plan on doing it one more day on Wednesday and then I am going to aim for 20 minutes on Friday! We'll see how it goes.

Elerine, Welcome! and way to get going! I think you should space them out over the week to avoid injury and burnout. I usually do my run/walk on Mon, Wed, and Fri. On Tues. and Thurs. I will cycle, walk stairs, rowing, or get on the elliptical machine. Also what has helped me alot since I have a bum knee is weight training to increase my leg strength. Also it has helped the muscle pain in my calves as well. Keep up updated on how you are doing!

Elerine
02-06-2007, 10:09 PM
WooHoo! W1D2 achieved! I used a different treadmill at the gym today, and it nearly killed me! I think it is just old, but it was slippery, and it took ages to speed up and slow down...I literally had to hang on for dear life during the running parts. I think I will just wait for my usual one next time!

Kylie

dollypie
02-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Kylie, congrats on finishing day two. I have a treadmill that I stick to as well. By the way you are not the only one that just wants to be overweight.

hikerchick
02-08-2007, 09:00 PM
:carrot:

Thanks for this thread. I hope it is not too late to get in on the action. I started today!

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

Silly me I read the instructions but got it wrong and actually started on week two by accident but it was fine. I love how this plan gives you permission to go slow. I am not on a treadmill all I have is the great outdoors and my great outdoors is real hilly so that adds an extra challenge.

dollypie
02-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Welcome hikerchick!!!!

I did W5D3 today and felt so good! I never thought I could run 20 minutes!

MariaMaria
02-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Yay for you, Dollypie! That's such a big deal.

hikerchick
02-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Dollypie, thanks for the welcome.

20 minutes, yay!

It is very encouraging. I will be thinking of your success when I put on my running shoes tomorrow. I hope it is not raining too hard.
:cb:

Xanadoodle
02-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Hey all,
haven't updated in a few days but I did a second day of W5D3 and last night I finished W6D1. This is the last week of intervals but since I was able to run for 20 minutes last week I'm hoping that weeks 7-9 are easier than they sound.

Congrats Dollypie!!! It is such a huge accomplishment, doesn't it feel great!

And welcome hikerchick! I really like this program alot and my fitness has GREATLY increased since starting it.

hikerchick
02-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi Xanadoodle, thanks for the welcome! It is hard to imagine doing a 20 minute run, you must be so excited!

So I made it to...

Day 2:carrot:

Get this, I totally goofed up on day one and did week 2s run instead which felt hard but doable. After reading the instructions I decded to faithfully follow the plan and go back to week one and I am so glad I did because though last run was ok this run felt nearly impossible.

I think the pouring rain might have had something to do with it. Also I have this hilly terrain and if I don't time things just right and run uphill too much it is way to hard on my lungs and if I do too much downhill it is too hard on my knees.

Nevertheless...

I did it.

One down 25 to go or however many runs it takes to get to the 5k goal.

For those of who are further along than me I would love to hear how you have managed so far. What have been the hardest hurdles and how did you push ahead.

Thanks for the support and encouragement. I look forward to meeting you at the 5k mark.

Xanadoodle
02-11-2007, 02:23 PM
For me the toughest part came during week 5. I think Day 3 played a mind game with me. I was scared to move forward cause I just didn't think I could do it. I finally decided that it was time to put up or shut up and I ran the whole 20 minutes - that was when I realized that I TRULY could finish this program. I had confidence before finishing W5D3 but I was nervous, now I know absolutely that I can do this.

I also take it slow, as the weeks have progressed and the time increases my pace has slowed some. Slowing down a little keeps my heartrate in a manageable range and keeps me coming back for each new workout. I figure that once I finish the program I will work on my speed and gear up for a 5k.

Good Luck and I hope you find the program as helpful and energizing as I have!

hikerchick
02-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Well I made it to day three. Thanks for the advice xanadoodle!

A 20 minute run is a great accomplishment. Anyone get to the end yet?

My husband started this too. We take turns watching the kids so the other can go out and run. I have my own little support group at home.

Have a great day everyone.

dollypie
02-12-2007, 06:39 PM
For me the toughest part came during week 5. I think Day 3 played a mind game with me. I was scared to move forward cause I just didn't think I could do it. I finally decided that it was time to put up or shut up and I ran the whole 20 minutes - that was when I realized that I TRULY could finish this program. I had confidence before finishing W5D3 but I was nervous, now I know absolutely that I can do this.

This day totally played mind tricks with me today as well! I actually ended up doing 23 minutes b/c a great song came up on my playlist. I did W6D1 today so 25 minutes at the end of this week sounds doable. It really is a mindset though. Since I know I can do 23 minutes, 25 sound good, but it is still scary. I never thought I would be able to run for this long and love it. Running is really addicting.

Way to go on Day 3 hikerchick, just remember we didn't get to this point over night. It has taken me two months to get to the point were I am now...the wait and dedication is definetly worth it!

hikerchick
02-14-2007, 01:28 PM
W2D1!

Happy valentines day!

:val1:

dollypie
02-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Okay finally did W6 Day3 yesterday. 25 minutes was tough but I made it!

hikerchick
02-19-2007, 03:56 PM
:high:

Way to go!

dollypie
02-20-2007, 05:38 PM
so how is everyone's progress coming?

hikerchick
02-20-2007, 09:47 PM
I have been cheating and skipping a little ahead in the program. I am just loving running. I don't know what day I did exactly but I ran for 5 minutes three times today.

I really can't wait until I can run 2 miles straight. I think I am done jumping ahead at this point so it will still take me at least a month.

I really don't know what has gotten into me. I would have never thought myself a runner.

dollypie
02-21-2007, 01:47 PM
That's great to hear hikerchick! I guess you could say I have finished the program because I went from running 20 minutes two weeks ago to running 30 minutes today! It feels great. I am know going to work on decreasing my time. Also I might try running outside because it is starting to get warmer in the evening. It is just so much harder and I even run on an incline on the treadmill.

hikerchick
02-21-2007, 02:19 PM

Woo Hoo dollypie! You've graduated!

Yippeee!

I love the great outdoors. I am in northern california so while my weather is not warm it is not frigid either. Most mornings its about 40 degrees. It is difficult to get out in the rain at that temperature but so far the weather has been cooperating.

I find my run to be pretty motivating. The landscape talks to me. I plan my runs around the contour of the hills. Some days I think. I will go this way first because I want to make sure I am walking up that hill and lately I have been trying to run up the hilly parts more and more.

But I am lucky because I live in a great place to run outside. No cars no people.

Though the other day a dog barked at me ferociously and I was getting a bit paranoid that it would jump out at me from the bushes. A few seconds later I heard this 500lb giant jump out at me from the bushes. I was sure I was done for. I screamed.

But it wasn't a dog it was a giant buck with a full set of antlers.
:rofl:

It gave me a confused look and hooped off. I am sure it was a sign.

Have a great day what an accomplishment!

dollypie
02-22-2007, 01:49 PM
I am so jealous of you hikerchick with your beautiful scenary. I'm sure I would enjoy running more outside if I had some here. I am in Texas and in my town there are a few place to go running, but haven't ventured out. Also I usually run at 5am and I don't like the dark. That is funny about the buck!

hikerchick
02-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Howdy Dollypie,

Yes the scenery is great. Today I had to battle the rain though. I did however make it in before the snow but only because I decided to go to the next day two 8 minute runs. I figured I could cool down by walking around the house. Glad I did because the second I got in the house it started snowing.

I have mixed feelings about fighting the elements. I do like the fact that it makes me feel tough.

I don't have a choice though not a gym for miles around and no money for a treadmill so I am like the postman. Neither rain nor snow...

dollypie
02-22-2007, 05:48 PM
That's great that you get out when it is that cold and with the rain!

Elerine
02-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Hi everyone!!

I'm sorry I fell of the face of the earth. I am still taking it slowly, yesterday I did W2D2. Its hard, but doable. I lost track of the intervals, and shortened the walk once - that sucked! At the moment, I love it beacuse the intervals are longer, so the time goes quicker!

Kylie

oh, Dollypie!!!! Well Done!! Wow - it's really cool to see someone finish the program. I'm proud of you!

hikerchick
02-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Hey there! Glad your back here. I have come on board recently and I'm just loving this program. I especially like the way it allows you to slowly work up to running.

I run outside and just got a bunch of snow (my road is likely covered in snow) I hope it will be clear enough for me to go out tomorow. We'll see.

dollypie
02-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Okay only did 25 minutes today because I was really tired and my leg muscles are feeling it. I will stick to the program and do three days of 28 minutes next week and then go back up to thirty.

Question: Do you girls do any other type of exercise inbetween your running days?

hikerchick
02-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Yeah I do weights and try to go on long walks. Today I have been lazy though.

kiwichic
02-25-2007, 08:35 PM
:) I just wanted to know if you all will be starting another thread for the c25k for Feb ? :)
I have wanted to try this a few times , but have always chickened out.
Are there any newbies to the c25k that have just started ?

hikerchick
02-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Hi kiwichick and welcome,

I am almost halfway through the program. It seems like there are people in all stages here. I think it might be time for a new thread since this one is getting a bit long.

I went out today in the rain again. I am beginning to like the rain. Its refreshing. At first it feels cold but then when I get going I start stripping off layers. First I'll take my hood off and then towards the end the jacket goes too. I didn't take my fleece off today after all it was 38 degrees out so that stayed on.

I have been doing two 8 minute runs. I think I am ready to move on. I have to check the schedule.

Mama_Angel_2006
02-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Elerine: You're not the only woman who wants to be overweight for now. I'm slowly working on being just overweight and not obese. As you can tell from my ticker, i'm definitely obese. Here's :cheer2: to a healthy and happy weight loss journey!

Kashi
02-27-2007, 01:11 PM
I did W1w3 today, and it was great! :) W1w2 really sucked, so I was pleasantly surprised by today. :)

I think I'm ready to move on to Week 2, but I have a question... I walk at 3.4mph and jog at 4.5mph. It gets my heartrate up and I'm tired at the end of my workout. I could jog at 5.0mph, but it absolutely exhausts me, so I don't think I could start Week 2 if I jogged at 5mph. Would it be better to keep at 4.5mph and start Week 2, or do Week 1 again, but at a faster speed?

I've only finished one week of the program thus far, but I feel so accomplished! You guys really impress and inspire me with how you've progressed.

hikerchick
02-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Great Job Kashi!

You could do it either way. I don't think it makes much of a difference as long as you do the program consistantly.

I haven't paid too much attention to my speed. (I do it the old fashioned way...outside) I have a vague idea of my speed since some days I cover more ground in the same amount of time.

dollypie
02-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Sounds like we are all doing a great job of logging in our runs. I have had this hacking cough for the past few days and have not been able to run. I am going to try tomorrow. I will be doing 28 minutes. I am really excited because I just uploaded new music to my Ipod.

Happy Running everyone!

Elerine
02-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Hey girls

Kashi: I think that if you are comfortable jogging, and you are acheiving goals at that speed, then don't push it. You can work on speed later...we're aiming for distance baby!! No, really, take it at your own pace.

Oh, I guess I'm not too worried about the length of the thread either - the Aussie Chicks thread (where I live most of the time) is currently 95 pages long!!

Mama Angel - good luck with your goal. Woo for being 'just' overweight!

Kylie

hikerchick
02-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Hello runners,

I went out today planning to do 2 one mile runs and somehow woundup running 2 miles straight. It was fantastic. What made it so great was it was in fresh snow. Noone had driven our road yet so I had a fresh track of snow all to myself. It was so pretty.

Now I am just exhausted but I am still aglow that I was able to do that. I have never even been able to run a quarter in the past.

Dollypie I hope you feel better.

dollypie
03-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Great job hikerchick! And what a wonderful way to run in fresh fallen snow, you are so lucky.

I did make it on the treadmill today and didn't cough. I did feel better, I just feel that I have something heavy sitting on my chest. Hopefully it will be completely gone in the next few days.

Kashi
03-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Woo, I did W2w1 today! It was hard... but about as hard as W1w1 was, and that workout got easier over time, so I'm sure this one will, too. I'll repeat this week if I have to. I can still remember a time when I couldn't even finish the first workout of the C25K, so I really feel like I'm making progress. :)

hikerchick: Wow! 2 miles all at once seems like forever for me. Well done!

dollypie: I'm glad you're feeling better, and hopefully you'll be fully recovered soon. :)

hikerchick
03-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Great job Kashi,

The first two weeks were the hardest for me. It will get easier.

dollypie
03-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Kashi, It will only get easier. You will be amazed at how your body adapts to running!

Did 30 minutes today!

hikerchick
03-02-2007, 02:31 PM
And after awhile you start to crave it and want to do more.

Believe it or not. (If you told me this 2 months ago I certainly wouldn't have believed it)

Today I did the whole 5k I just didn't want to stop. Woo Hoo.

Kashi
03-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Well, W2w2 sucked. Just like W1w2 sucked. I'm thinking it's the 2nd workout of each week that just doesn't agree with me, but I'm not sure why. In any case, Monday is W2w3, and if it sucks as much as W2w2, I'm repeating week 2.

You're all doing great! I can't stress that enough.

hikerchick
03-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Hi Kashi,

I had a problem with the day 2s also. Sorry you had such a sucky day. I hope day 3 goes well for you. The important thing is consistancy so don't worry if you need to take an extra week. You are doing great... keep at it.

futurepixie
03-05-2007, 04:57 PM
I know what you mean, Kashi!

Today is W3w1 for me. I am nervous- I dunno if I can really run 3 whole minutes at a time! I hope I can- it is really hard for me to know the difference between pushing myself to do well and pushing myself too hard. I never know till it is too late.

I am sooo glad I read this thread- it is really inspiring to see people make it to the end!

cytheria21
03-06-2007, 10:53 AM
I'd like to join in this thread. I just start the C25K today on the advice of some ladies from this site. It wasn't too terribly hard, but, I can already tell my body is going to be sore!!! I'm glad I found this site though, otherwise I might not have found the coolrunning website and started running. :-)

Kashi
03-06-2007, 06:36 PM
How'd W3w1 go for you, futurepixie? Going from jogging 1.5 minutes to jogging 3 minutes is scary to me!

Welcome, cytheria!

Today I did W2w3, but upped my jogging intervals from 4.5mph to 5.0mph. 5mph just felt like a more natural stride, even though it was harder. I don't think I'm quite up to W3 yet, so next week I'll be doing a 'middle week' of walking 2 minutes and jogging 2 minutes to prepare myself for W3.

Keep it up, everyone! :D

cytheria21
03-06-2007, 08:54 PM
OOh going from 1.5 minutes jogging to 3.0 minutes jogging is scary! I can't believe that's the third week! Everyone is doing great though!

FaeReverie
03-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Hi everyone!

Boy oh boy am I glad I found you all.. I've always wanted to run, and although I had heard of C25k I never thought of trying it for some reason.

Wierd enough I'm not starting quite yet, I have some waiting to do. Most importantly I need to wait for the right equipment... I need to get some running shoes, some workout clothes that fit (instead of sweatpants that only sort of fit, an overly large t-shirt, and an old worn-out bra that really doesnt fit and wasn't meant to be used for exercising anyway). I also want to wait until it gets a bit warmer, I really want to work out outside but it's really too cold for me at the moment. Luckily I'm in southern Virginia, so that should be happening soon! I hope so, because you all have gotten me excited! Until then, I'll just keep up with my cardio and stuff I do now :).

I do have a question for all of you who run with music - how do you keep track of the time of the walking and running? Stopwatch? wristwatch? I want to bring my mp3 player with me, but I have no idea how to time myself.. any suggestions?

~Fae

MariaMaria
03-07-2007, 01:30 AM
Yes, you use a watch. Look for the feature "countdown timer with repeat".

Here are two examples from Timex. Each should cost around $30.
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00020J16W.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000B52552.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

FaeReverie
03-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks! I know it was a semi-ditzy question.. thanks for putting up with me.

I ordered one, it should be to me in a few days... it's kind of wierd how excited I am, lol. :)

MariaMaria
03-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Nah, not a ditsy question. We all learn sometime.

Kashi
03-08-2007, 06:17 PM
I got in W3w1 today. I planned to repeat week 2, but ended up just going for week 3!

The only thing that concerns me is a very mild chest pain towards the end, and that during my cooldown (walking 3mph), my heartrate was still up in the 130s, even after 5 minutes of cooling down. Hmm!