General chatter - Regifting - a good thing?

View Full Version : Regifting - a good thing?

freiamaya
12-05-2006, 06:37 AM
Hi all!
Just wondering here if people regift - tis the season for getting a bunch of useless stuff, and I was wondering if people regift, if they've ever been caught regifting, or if they think it is tacky. Thoughts?

Jasmine31
12-05-2006, 09:21 AM
I have a funny story about that. My mom in her late 40's was going thru a divorce and moved back home with her mom and dad. A first cousin's wife brought over a gift for her b~day party ~ it was the same dress my grandma had given her the year before as a gift! My grandma was spitting nails! :lol:

junebug41
12-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Oh regifting stories are hilarious! My friends and I have this red candle that has actually been gifted all the way to Africa and back. I bought it for a friend for Valentine's and she in turn regifted it at Christmas to our other friend who was in Africa at the time who in turn regifted it to the sister of the friend that I gave it too. At first I didn't find it very funny because they all got caught, but now it's a joke of course.

I think in general, it's a bad idea because in most sitatuations the risk of being caught is just too great and you can offend someone. However, if you wanted to regift something Grandma gave you at an office Christmas party, I think that would be safe. You just have to cover the bases.

alinnell
12-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Usually if the gift I get is something that I cannot use or I just plain don't like it, I donate it to charity rather than regift it. I have on occasion given it away but not as a gift. If someone indicates they like it or could use it, I'll give it to them. I often hold onto items like this for several months before donating them just in case the giver wants to know that I have it and/or use it--that must be the guilt part I feel!!!

rockinrobin
12-05-2006, 09:53 AM
I think it's a great idea!! But only if you follow some VERY strict guidelines. I hate wasting things and the thought of me getting a gift that I absolutely can not use is really sad to me.

The ONLY way I will regift is if I know for 100% certain that the person that I'm giving the regifted gift to will never, ever know that it was regifted. Like they don't know at all the person or circumstances which I got the gift in the first place. And I will ONLY regift if I know the person that I am now giving it to will really, really enjoy the gift. Like it's something I would have bought for them anyway. And then I will wrap it absolutely fabulously. Beautiful paper and lots and lots of frilly bows.

2frustrated
12-05-2006, 09:54 AM
This year, so far I have regifted 2 presents :D

1) Chocolate fountain bought as a wedding present when I already have one

2) Horrid nasty liquer chocolates that my mum will love

The choco fountain is going to my Mum who knows it was our wedding present, and then to her sister to use on Christmas day when everyone's stuffed to bursting with turkey :barf:

Oh yes and we have been regifted in turn. One wedding present we got was a toiletries bag that came with some shower gel and a face cloth... But the toiletry bag was HUGE. It looked like there should've been more in the bag, with packaging :chin: Very suspicious... :lol: But it doesn't matter since the bag's quite nice and useful.

Jasmine31
12-05-2006, 02:18 PM
lol These are all funny. That reminds me almost every year my grandma gets everyone this Gosh awful Emauraude perfume!! She LOVES it so thinks everyone else should too! Thank heavens we are doing one $20.00 gift exchange for everyone this year!

lilybelle
12-05-2006, 03:31 PM
My family always plays "dirty santa" at Christmas time. Last yr. there was a thighmaster that had been regifted numerous times. LOL, I would have taken it, but my SIL got it. All 3 of my nieces had regifted it. While my sister who had bought it was sitting there busting up laughing.

tinabinab
12-05-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm still horribly offended by something my mom regifted last year. About 15 years ago when I had my first halfway decent job, I had bought my mom, grandma, and myself these matching opal cross necklaces. Well, last year when the shipment of gifts from my brother did not arrive in time for Christmas day, my mom apparently went in search of little gifts for those who's gifts had been delayed. Well, guess what she gave my neice?!

Whats bad is that my grandmother passed away 2 years earlier, and I have no idea if that was the necklace I'd given her or my mom. Of course, I didn't say anything - I wouldn't want my mom to feel bad about it, but it hurts my feelings that she did that. She even made a comment about having gone out and picked that out for my neice! :( My only comfort is that at least it was my neice and they are fairly religious, so hopefully she appreciated it...

Jasmine31
12-05-2006, 08:03 PM
That is terrible Tina!

ennay
12-05-2006, 08:21 PM
They actually had a segment on one of the morning shows about this with an etiquette lady

She said regifting is fine if

a) the person receiving the gift will actually like the gift - in otherwords if you dont like wine but your friend does and you regift wine, thats ok

b) the person receiving the gift operates in a different circle from the original gifter. Give a coworker a gift from a family member. Do not regift amongst your family as in Tinas story

c) you remove the original tag! Unwrap it and rewrap it people, and if it comes in a box, open the box to make sure there is not a note inside unless the box is clearly still manufacturer sealed

d) she suggested waiting a year or so for some items, but keep track of who and what.

I will regift stuff like wine and food, but usually only by bringing them to holiday parties, otherwise I usually donate or freecycle. Goodwill has gotten about 300 sweaters over the years given to me by MIL...sigh.

freiamaya
12-05-2006, 10:03 PM
I got a gift from a friend - it was a generic gift, you know, the kind where there is a basket with chocolates and biscuits in it. The only problem was that my friend, who is a school teacher, forgot to check the bottom of the boxes of chocolates and biscuits before putting them in a basket. EACH ONE had a label, saying: To: Mrs. Smith From: Tina or from Sandra or from Tom... I guess she collected up her gifts from her students, put them in a basket, wrapped it and gave it to me. I haven't told her about this, nor will I, because I know it would embarrass her...:)

nelie
12-06-2006, 10:47 AM
I have an aunt who I love dearly but she is terribly cheap with gifts. I know she means well and thinks that it is better to give something than nothing. Anyway, she caused a stir with our family a few years back because instead of giving gifts to everyone, our family does the pick a name, buy a gift around $50 dollars. She normally would give gifts that were obviously no where near the $50 mark but one year she gave one of my uncles something that was around $5 and it upset everyone. It isn't that she doesn't have money, its more like she spends money on other things. So anyway, one year she knows I don't drink very often but she had bought a drinking game for one of my other relatives who then she decided it was unappropriate for them but then she asks my mom if she should give me that gift instead. My mom knows I wouldn't use it, my aunt knows I wouldn't use it and I guess my mom talked her out of it. Instead I got an obviously regifted item from her but it was better than the drinking game.

On the same line. I had a friend who did a similar thing. She doesn't drink, she knows I don't drink very often but for Christmas she gave me drinking glasses that were obviously for drinking alcohol (almost shot glasses but not quite). I know she has money issues but it kind of stung knowing that she gave me a regifted item when she knew that I'd have no use for it. She has done so in the past and I knew they were regifted but mostly they were things I could use.

freiamaya
12-06-2006, 02:52 PM
I got a gift from an aunt who worked for Amway once. It was for my 13th birthday, and I was so excited because it looked like and sounded like some kind of perfume. Well, I opened it in front of my friends, and the label said,
TORRONTE
pour homme
on it.
Yes, it was AFTERSHAVE - pour homme means "for men" in French.
I still laugh about it, but my older sister laughs about it more than I do!!!

BlueToBlue
12-06-2006, 05:03 PM
I don't do much re-gifting. I do get a lot of stuff from my step mom that I don't need or want (she believes in quantity rather than quality, so she tends to give out a lot of cheap gifts), but I usually just hang onto them for several years then donate them to a thrift store.

But this year I have started re-gifting food. What else are your family members for if not to eat all the high calorie junk that business associates, etc. give you? ;) I don't work in an office, so I can't share this stuff with co-workers. I got a Harry & David gift tower a month or so ago and ended up shipping most of it, except the fruit, back to my family and I plan to distribute it at Christmas. It's perfect--saved me from having to buy goodies for them (I always put together little gift baskets), I'm pretty sure everyone will be happy with the goodies, and kept me from eating them. :D

liz321
12-28-2006, 01:49 AM
Regifting is an art....I get so many wonderful things...I share what I get and often love what I give...I just don't need so much stuff....I believe people are genuinely pleased with the gifts I give them.

Liz

lizziness
12-28-2006, 12:38 PM
I am not somebody who likes stuff, for the most part. Like my mil gets me a little house for my "collection" every year - but the kicker? they are from the dollar store! I just keep those because some day she'll wonder where they are, but still when she has her 100 dollar a piece houses displayed... it makes me a little annoyed because I wouldn't even want an expensive one. I'd rather she just keep her dollar. *L*
I regift things like candles, picture frames, etc. Stuff that I hope the other person can use, when I can't or won't use it. I would never do something blatant.
I prefer to give people things they can use up rather than something that they have to find a place for in their home... gift cards, candles, an experience rather than an item. Because I hate clutter and I do not want to pass it on. Sometimes you have to pass it on though. *LOL*

phantastica
12-28-2006, 01:21 PM
I do get a lot of stuff from my step mom that I don't need or want (she believes in quantity rather than quality, so she tends to give out a lot of cheap gifts),

My step-mother is the same way! She gets tons of cheap gifts at Wal*Mart, and I don't shop at those kinds of stores. Most of what I use and like are from specialty shops, locally owned or made products, etc.

I regift, but I'm careful about it. I usually only do it with my sister or mother, I only give if I know the person would love it, and I often indicate that it's a 'regift' (or ask ahead of time if the person cares that it's a regift) and supplement the gift with a little something extra.

I have a notoriously cheap friend who once regifted me something she got at a shower ... candles with holders (which I don't use, I consider them to be clutter). The mini-card was in the bottom of the box, and one of the glass holders was broken!

I do think in our era of abundant "stuff" it is important to not waste, and regifting can be a good thing.

mejojama
12-28-2006, 02:28 PM
I like a nice clear house without stuff.........so I say regifting is fine. If I can't use it then I hope someone else can. My dh is totally agianst it.lol He thinks it is an insult to the buyer. I think if the buyer knows me they know what I can use if not then they shouldn't be upset by my regifting it to someone who can use it.

Also people need to start buying stuff like towels for gifts. They are pretty generic and most people can use more towels and if not they all know someone who can.

WaterBottleBeauty
12-28-2006, 02:31 PM
I once bought a friend some make-up-y like stuff for a small gift. I remember I was round her house playing "make-over" when she offered me the present I had bought her and said something along the lines of "Here, you can use these. I got them as a present from somebody and I don't want them"

The moral of this story: If you're going to re-gift, keep detailed records!

ennay
12-28-2006, 02:35 PM
my mil cant resist sweaters, its better now that she is retired and doesnt work in a clothing store. it took about 6 years of marriage before I was able to say --I can only wear cotton sweaters, no wool, no poly blends. some years she still forgets. For a while it was ridiculous she worked at a clothing store and would shop all year - I'd get maybe 10 sweaters a year. And it just doesnt get that cold here and I am warm blooded, I just dont wear heavy sweaters. But they are really nice sweaters. I was thinking of regifting one for next year instead of just straight to goodwill like I usually do.

lovinlifex2
12-28-2006, 03:05 PM
I think regifting would be fine as long as it is in good taste. I agree that only if the person who bought it for will never find out and the person you are giving it too would really love it. Also, personalize it as much as you can. Use their favorite color to wrap it in and include a personal note stating how much this gift made you think of them.

josie4
12-29-2006, 11:10 AM
This year I got a regifted gift card. I don't have proof, but who buys a gift card for $18.98? Kinda funny, but a bit tacky I think.

nelie
12-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Josie,

How did you find out the balance of the gift card? If you found out by checking the balance, then someone else might have your gift card number and being using it for purchases. I've heard a lot of stories of people who had their gift card numbers stolen and used online. If the person told you "here is your gift card for $18.98" then I would think it is a regift. If you found out the balance by checking online or at the store, you might want to ask the person who bought it just to verify.

Tiffie
12-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Well, I don't have any regifting stories, but....

It's better to get nothing than to get something obviously cheap and truly useless.

My fiance's friend insists on getting me at least one ceramic 99 Cent Store horse every year for Christmas and another 1-3 for birthdays. I love horses, but there's no way I'd ever set up these tacky things! But my little sister likes them for some reason, so I've given them all to her over the years. It isn't exactly regifting, because I never give in place of REAL gifts. But at least someone gets use out of the ugly little things. :blush:

I think regifting all depends on who gave the gift and why. It's truly awful to find out something you gave with love has been given away.

josie4
01-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Josie,

How did you find out the balance of the gift card? If you found out by checking the balance, then someone else might have your gift card number and being using it for purchases. I've heard a lot of stories of people who had their gift card numbers stolen and used online. If the person told you "here is your gift card for $18.98" then I would think it is a regift. If you found out the balance by checking online or at the store, you might want to ask the person who bought it just to verify.

The PIN on the back wasn't scratched off at all, and the card didn't look new. It was scratched up.

tweetyandme
01-03-2007, 03:05 AM
A few months ago, i got my sister a really beautiful necklace. It had a rare-colored one-of-a-kind shaped stone. She loved it and took really good care of it. This Christmas, i opened up my gift from my friend and it was the necklace i had given my sister! My sister had given the necklace to our friend because she hated it! Our friend gave it to me because she thouhgt it was pretty. My sister never told her that i had given it to her before! My sister felt really bad when i came in the house wearing the necklace that she had given away!

Re-gifting is not always a bad idea. I have made very many people happy by re-gifting. :) I get many re-gifted items also, so it's not bad, as long as you don't hurt someones feelings in doing so!

Sassy_Chick
01-03-2007, 03:40 AM
We regifted a gift card to a fancy steakhouse we got from our car dealer, we gave it to someone who would enjoy a whole lot more than we would. (YES the gift card was brand new and never been used when we gave it to them!) I think regifting is okay if your careful and respectful.

My mil did however give me back a lotion that I had given to her. I figured she just forgot that I gave it to her. She didn't give it to me as a gift, just gave it to me saying that she didn't use lotion.

:hug:

2frustrated
01-03-2007, 05:38 AM
We regifted a big wallet/purse thing we got as a wedding present (who gives a wallet as a wedding present???) to my MIL and she's using it, so that's great. It was too big for either me or DH and it was a fairly nice item, real leather etc. We gave her choccies too :)

Sassy_Chick
01-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Speaking of wedding gifts, we got a santa claus cookie jar from my Aunt and Uncle and you could tell it was regifted! And no we didn't get married in December or anything like that. We got married in September! lol. I think its still in my mil's basement somewhere! lmao!

Glory87
01-03-2007, 02:13 PM
I definitely regift food items - I just can't have them in the house. I got a really nice package of fancy chocolate/mint cookies this year and I put it in the little gift bag I was making up for my "giving tree" recipient (at work, names are hung on a tree, you take a name and buy what they want/need for Christmas). The person I chose was a 94 year old woman who wanted a gift card to Wal Mart to buy food. I bought her a gift card and added some fuzzy slipper socks, big thing of lotion, bath salts and the cookies. I hope she can eat them or can use them for entertaining.