Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-03-2006, 05:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Default Sugar-free Barbecue suggestions?

Didn't want to hijack the other thread, so I put this in a new one:

In another thread hrbabe wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbabe View Post
I'm going back to my grilled chicken tenders dunked in bbq sauce overnite (I know, I know, all sugar).
anyone know of any sugar-free barbecue sauces that they really like. I used to like the Carb Options one, but it appears that entire line of products have been discontinued. I have found a couple of alternatives but they are pretty awful. Any suggestions?
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:42 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depalma View Post
Didn't want to hijack the other thread, so I put this in a new one:

In another thread hrbabe wrote:

anyone know of any sugar-free barbecue sauces that they really like. I used to like the Carb Options one, but it appears that entire line of products have been discontinued. I have found a couple of alternatives but they are pretty awful. Any suggestions?
Fran, are you open to making one? They're all loaded with brown sugar, but I"ll bet you could use dark agave as a sweetener. And maybe tomato paste instead of catsup? This would be a good project; I love bbq. Now that I think about it, I remember an especially good BBQ that I had in Gatlinburg, Tenn. ... it was a mustard type sauce, and it was delicious. That would eliminate the catsup problem. I'll try to go searching .... I may even remember the name of the restaurant, which sold bottled dressings (although I'm sure they've got lots of sugar.)
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #3  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I've never found anything suitable in the store, but here's my homemade recipe. Don't let the length of the ingredients put you off. It really takes less than ten minutes to assemble it and then only 15 minutes to cook it. I always make a double batch so I can freeze part of it.

1/4 c. coffee
1 c. tomato sauce
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 T. tomato paste
3 T. red wine or apple cider vinegar
2 T. Worchestershire sauce
3 T. mustard
1 t. Liquid Smoke
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
Tabasco sauce to taste
2 T. splenda (or your preference of sweetner)
Salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients except Splenda and salt and pepper in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add splenda, salt and pepper.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Thanks Tammy. I'll give it a try.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote