Exercise! - Cool Runners- It's December!

View Full Version : Cool Runners- It's December!

ennay
12-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Just starting it off, went a bit over 4 today, a bit sluggish at first but warmed up

SarahinBalance
12-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Wanted to repost this question here as I'm curious what you ladies do.

Still shaking off this cold. Do you ladies have any advice about running with a cough cause I'm fine WHILE I'm running but have a 15 min coughing fit AFTER. Haven't run since Tuesday.... Thoughts?

Ilene
12-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks for starting the thread Ennay...

Sarah, I would give myself a rest if I would have a coughing fit afterwards I would worry that it could irritate your lungs and turn into bronchitis, I'm no doctor or nurse and I'm not even sure if this is possible...

I haven't run in 2 days :faint: ...

YP1
12-01-2006, 03:07 PM
On running clubs, from the last thread. They vary. There are a few near me, and I am a member of the most "recreational" of them, as far as I can tell. The one closer to me takes things a lot more seriously (one of their runners ran in the Olympic marathon a couple of years back, as an indications of just how seriously!), and even though they said that I wasn't too slow when I emailed them (mind you, this was back when I was faster), I got the impression that they were into hard training, and I'd be lingering at the back. My running club on the other hand is far more relaxed, there are plenty of girls, particularly in the last group, who just jog once or twice a week with the club for exercise, but don't want to take it any further than that. Three people from that last group took over an hour for the 10k on Sunday. Then the middle group, which is roughly my level, and the fast boys at the front. There's certainly no pressure to race (or even to get faster), even when we do time trials or fartlek they make it clear that if you want to jog round you can, and people will wait.

I ran a marathon with a cough, but that's because I'm stupid and I wasn't going to not run after training for months and flying to Germany... Not recommended though!

YP1
12-02-2006, 06:14 AM
9.5 miles this morning, at a fairly gentle pace. it was nice to get something a bit longer under my belt, I haven't done anything over about 7 since Guy Fawkes.

AnneWonders
12-02-2006, 07:55 AM
Sarah, I'd run a marathon with a cough (after all that training!), but generally if I'm sick I take it easy. I might take a walk, or do some stretching or something. I just seem to get better faster.

Helen, do you have another marathon on the calendar? Memory fails. Something in the spring? I know you are working on speed right now, but I was thinking this morning you were going to go long again.

Anne

YP1
12-02-2006, 08:33 AM
I have various plans... I have a half (probably two) lined up after Christmas, after that I'd love to do the London Marathon but don't have a place (got my ballot rejection through this morning, there's still a slim chance of a club place though). If I do that I might do Edinburgh in May, but I want to do Amsterdam in October and I'm not sure whether they'd be too close together. I haven't committed to anything yet, but that's the vague plan.

AnneWonders
12-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Good luck on that London club place. I hear only great things about that marathon. May and October sound far enough apart to me, at least physically. Might be hard to maintain motivation for that kind of time, at least for me. I look forward to hearing about your next one--I miss the marathon, and will probably have baby #2 before marathon #2. I'm going to have to content myself with my half in January. The half is a great distance though, so it should be fun.

I have 7 miles on my schedule this morning, but I'm feeling like a slug. I'll go out about 10 when it warms up again. DH is going for the first couple miles w/ DD in her stroller, stopping at a park to play, and then coming back with me. I don't get to run with him much since he is so much faster.

Anne

MissDee
12-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks, Helen. I'm headed for the running store this morning to get some Yak Trax. They sponsor a club, so I think I'll check into it. My delimma now is snow running. I procrastinated, but now it's here, and I have a nine mile run scheduled tomorrow! If I can't do the Yak Trax, I'm going to try screw shoes. I'll report back with my results :)

ennay
12-02-2006, 11:10 AM
I love halfs...that is probably my very favorite distance

Day off today...ahhhhhhhh. Trying to decide between a hilly 7 or a gentler 9 for tomorrow. They are probably about equivalent effort

AnneWonders
12-02-2006, 08:29 PM
I did my 7 miles this morning. No walking. It was a great run, and my pace was rock solid constant the whole way at 12 min/mile. I felt OK. Much better than the 10 miler last week.

I was thinking about how my view of long runs has changed since I began. When I started, I thought 5K was long, then the next bump up was anything over 8 miles probably when I was training for my 1st half mary. Then for a long time a long run was 10 or 12+ miles. After the baby, I just wanted to be able to put together one mile again, then 3, and now I'm back to thinking anything over 10K is long. When I started all this, on July 6, 2003, I couldn't run more than 20 seconds at a time! Such an interesting journey. Is it really only 3 years? Wow!

Anne

MissDee
12-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Anne, when I ran my first eight miler, I geared up with Gu and an Amphipod and the works. Felt like serious long run. Yesterday I started my scheduled three and decided on a whim to do Sunday's nine miler instead :) I never got far from my car, which had water and snacks, so I was OK. But it feels great to be able to do that.

And I've now run in the snow! I bought my Yaktrax, but didn't use them because the bike routes near my house were cleared! I've been so worried about whether I was going to keep my base this winter without doing long runs on the treadmill. I feel a lot better about the prospect today.

I checked out the running groups at the running shop. They were really more like coached programs, and didn't really match my needs. There are other running groups in town, though. I think I'll revisit this after Christmas.

ennay
12-03-2006, 03:42 PM
My baby is 2 months old today!!!!

The week in review:
Monday - Snow? 5 minutes treadmill at gym til power blew, 20 minutes recumbent bike
Tues - Ice? 2.8 miles tread, full body weights
Wed - Yoga
Thurs - Intervals 4.5 mile total; full body weights
Friday - 4.2 miles
Saturday - off (unless you count 1.5 miles pushing dd in stroller and carrying ds in bjorn to go see ducks)
Sunday - 9.25 not quite as flat as I remembered miles

Total running - 21.1
Total REM - 23.1

Sheila53
12-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Two months--and look at all that hair!

Ennay, wasn't it a great day to run? I was so happy to see sun! It was a little frosty on the bikepath where I ran today so I was kind of careful (i.e., slow), especially over the soggy, frosty leaves. The temperature was great for me--not too sweaty by the time I completed 3 miles.

YP1
12-04-2006, 05:14 PM
7 miles in the rain with running club tonight. I took it nice and slowly because there were only 4 of us who fancied the longer route and I promised one of the other girls (the slowest of the four of us, the other two were faster than me) that I'd stick with her while the other two went off ahead.

Tomorrow is a fancy dress run through the Christmas lights - should be about 7 miles again, but in reindeer horns :)

WindyCityChick
12-04-2006, 05:27 PM
You gals inspire me with the distances you run! I just ran 10k for the first time last Friday, and felt like I could barely move the last 2 kilometers. I made it, just kept putting one foot in front of the other, but it was a struggle. Anyhoo, it's great to hear about your successes, and hopefully I can work up to making the longer distances a breeze too.

ennay
12-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Two months--and look at all that hair!

Ennay, wasn't it a great day to run? I was so happy to see sun! It was a little frosty on the bikepath where I ran today so I was kind of careful (i.e., slow), especially over the soggy, frosty leaves. The temperature was great for me--not too sweaty by the time I completed 3 miles.

lol that hair was 3 days old!! He has about the same amount now.

It was gorgeous. It was kind of a rough run for me physically because I had a pinched nerve in my shoulderblade and I am still struggling with how much fuel I need with nursing and pumping and running. But the sun was rising over Mt Hood on my way east, then I looped around town to the country west of town (its a small town) and saw a coyote chasing a rabbit across the frozen fields and watched the mist burn off the coast range. Except for the 300 yards I had to take to the drainage ditch because it was glare ice...ah well, good time to gu

SarahinBalance
12-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Oh Ennay - That does sound beautiful! We were in Oregon this past year, stayed in Hood River and hiked up to Lookout Mountain which is probably the most spectacular view I've ever seen! I'm so jealous you get to run there, but not jealous of all the rain.

WindyCityChick - 10K is AWESOME! I did my first one this past spring and I was so proud of myself! So it truly is baby steps, although 10K is a mountain for most!

Me - Did weights this AM and have 4 miles planned this afternoon, supposed to be 62 today so run should be beautiful!

Lucky13
12-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Hello fellow chickees

i've been a little absent mainly due to my disappointment in myself. About 2.5 weeks ago I was running my 30K (18 mi) in prep for the marathon (this weekend) and my knee started to really hurt - not torn or popping, just hurt on the outside of it. I suspect it's runners knee. Anyhoo, i wasn't able to finish the race and my dreams of running the marathon this december vanished very quickly so that i could recover. My plan is to see a doctor just to make sure that there isn't any real damage, take it easy this month (10-12 miles per week, max), and then start up again in January. With some luck, I'll be able to train in order to try for the marathon again at the end of February.

I see everyone is doing pretty well and I wish you all the best luck!

SarahinBalance
12-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Hey Lucky,

Is that the Austin Marathon you are training for (AT&T)? I'm planning on running the half version of it.

Sarah

ennay
12-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Sarah - do you live in Tx? I used to live in Austin. I would take rain every day compared to running in that heat.

Usually Oregon rain is just a drizzle at worst, just enough to keep you cool while running, November however was horrid, it poured like an east coast downpour. Rainiest november in Portland history.

YP1
12-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Emily, sorry to hear about your knee, concentrate on getting it fixed and there will be other marathons.

Tonight was fun :D I don't think some of the people in town knew what to think when they saw 60 runners in fancy dress running round the lights! There are a couple of clubs who join up for the run, it wasn't just my club. I'm not doing the normal club run tomorrow because I've got a client do at work, but this one was extra so I've still got 2 club runs in this week which is OK.

I may have let myself be talked into cross country.

Lucky13
12-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Sarah - no - it's not in Austin. It's in Fort Worth - it's the Cowtown Marathon. I ran the half marathon of it last year and it's a great course. We'll see how i feel in a few weeks and if i can through it!

em

batmomm2000
12-05-2006, 08:10 PM
hey all, I pop in every now and then to get inspired but you know busy with the holidays...did speedwork today, total of 5 but that includes the warmup and cooldown. I was very pleased with how well I held up. I've got a 15k coming up in Jan so I'm hoping Santa brings some good UA gear!! Oh yeah and I just committed to running a marathon next Nov!!

SarahinBalance
12-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Batmomm - Love your pic, it's great!

Ennay - Haha I actually live in Austin, was born here so guess I am used to the heat, Oregon is BEAUTIFUL, but consecutive grey days would make me sad

Lucky - Good luck with your knee! The Austin Marathon is in February as well

AnneWonders
12-06-2006, 12:20 AM
Hey Emily, just a quick note to say no matter how disappointing it is, you did the right thing. I understand completely, having to give up my first marathon due to a stress fracture and I was absolutely devestated at the time. But it is 2+ years later and I'm still running. If I'd wrecked my foot, that might not have happened.

Make sure you keep posting about February. I love to get my marathon fix here.

Anne

ennay
12-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Emily ..ditto... I had trained to run a marathon before ttc and the week after I did my 16 miler I sprained my ankle trail running. There will be other races, but only one knee (well two, but....)

ennay
12-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Drumroll Please.......

As of this morning, I completed my 2006 goal of 650 Miles!

Can I take the rest of the year off?

SarahinBalance
12-06-2006, 02:17 PM
OH that is awesome Ennay - Bravo, Congrats! I don't keep track of my miles but maybe I should.

ennay
12-06-2006, 02:31 PM
I find it helps on the low motivation weeks, especially if I am not training for a specific event. I tell myself how hard it will be in December if I dont get my butt out there now.

YP1
12-06-2006, 05:29 PM
I've got about 48 miles to go to make my 1200 mile target for the year. Fingers crossed I should be able to do it, and it might actually be a good thing if it makes me get off the sofa between christmas and new year!

ennay
12-06-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm trying to decide if my goal for next year is 1100 or 1200,

batmomm2000
12-06-2006, 09:23 PM
that's awesome Ennay!! I started logging my miles in July and then recently although i've kept running the logging stopped, it's a great motivation tool though. Think I'll restart.

I didn't run today just XTed on the bike, well and jogged a cooldown mile. My butt hurts after riding the bike for so long.

AnneWonders
12-06-2006, 10:33 PM
ennay, you now get to run a victory lap!

Still fighting off this cold. I'm supposed to run tomorrow, but will see how I feel. I've got a 10 miler this weekend and if I can get myself well, I think that run is more important.

Anne

ennay
12-07-2006, 12:12 AM
lol Anne if I had known I was so close I might have..I ended up at 650.05 this morning. I'd have been bummed if it was 649.95

YP1
12-07-2006, 04:47 AM
30 minutes of speedwork on the :tread: this morning. The session really works me hard but it does seem to be working. I'm a bit closer to that target now too!

YP1
12-08-2006, 04:53 AM
35 miles to go now... another 30 minute speed session, a bit harder than yesterday.

I'm going to try to get a long run in tomorrow, as long as I'm not too naughty at the office christmas party tonight...

ennay
12-08-2006, 12:10 PM
what I have long feared has happened.

This morning after my run (4.75) I showered and dressed and then went back into the bathroom to brush my teeth and looked at the counter and I had used bodyglide instead of deodorant.

SarahinBalance
12-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Helen - What's your routine for doing speedwork on the treadmill?

Did a slow 3 miles with my mom yesterday, but my quad has been a little sore since weights on Tuesday so I think slow was good. Have a 7 miler tomorrow with my running group tomorrow. Christmas party tonight, but I HAVE to be good cause we meet at 7AM tomorrow. I think one of my NY resolutions will be to start a mile log.

YP1
12-08-2006, 01:38 PM
I walk to the gym to warm up, then do 5 minutes at a "fast but comfortable" pace, 3 minutes at roughly 10k pace, 3 at the original pace, 2 a bit faster than 10k pace, 2 at the original pace, 1 as fast as I can, 3 original, 3 10k, 3 original, 2 faster than 10k, 2 original, 1 as fast as I can (which adds up to 30), then I do a 5 minute cooldown walk which I don't count as part of my run. This is all on a 1% incline.

AnneWonders
12-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Helen, that long run sounds like a good excuse to carb up at that party!

ennay, you've never done that before?? Common occurance here.

Sarah, I think a running log is essential. It really helps you to see what you are capable of.

My cold is lifting with only the last bits of crud still hanging on. This morning I have washed the dogs and the floors and I'm tired already. Trying to get the tree and decorations up, squeeze in a swim and go pick up DD from daycare. Tomorrow I'm scheduled to run 10 miles. I'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes.

Anne

YP1
12-08-2006, 08:04 PM
It's not the carbs I was worried about, it was the alcohol, but I got through it safely so the run is on for the morning. Hopefully...

YP1
12-09-2006, 12:25 PM
9.7 miles in the end, it's very cold but bright here (or it was until it got dark) so a lovely day for wrapping up with a hat and gloves and a fleecey top and just going out and feeling the sun on my face for a while. It felt surprisingly good considering I spent most of the morning making excuses for why I didn't need to run, and only just got out of the door in time to get my run in before the sun went down.

25 miles to go...

SarahinBalance
12-10-2006, 02:45 PM
So drank way too much Friday night at the Christmas parties, but SOMEHOW managed to get up (still feeling tipsy?) at 6:15 yesterday and got 7 miles in with my group. Was pretty big deal for me cause that's my new personal distance record. Was a beautiful gray winter morning, nice and crisp and cool so pretty ideal conditions. Also (this is funny) got some chafing around the collar bone, and proudly showed it off to my boyfriend. Like a battle wound. Need to look into the anti-chafing stuff you guys always talk about.

ennay
12-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Week in review:

M: 4.2
T: weights - full, stationary bike 30 min (3 REM)
W: Intervals - 8x400 5 miles total , yoga
Th: Stationary bike 50 min (5 REM) ; weights
F: 4.75
S: "off"
Sun: 9.6 really hard windy hilly

total week 23.5 miles
total REM : 31.5

Today was hard...the wind was gusting so hard that I felt like I was wearing a parachute. At points the rain was nearly horizontal...actually at one point I was running up hill into the wind and relative to the ground the rain was going UP. But I ended up being faster than last week and it was hillier too.

AnneWonders
12-10-2006, 09:33 PM
I posted yesterday but it got eaten somehow. Did my hilly run, 8.5 miles instead of 10, but felt every bit of it. Today I am SORE. I forgot how hard hills are.

DH made 3:02:56 in his sub-3 attempt at the Tucson Marathon. He is remarkably good spirits, although he said a lot of very bad words right after the finish.

Anne

ennay
12-10-2006, 09:38 PM
omg thats right tucson was today. I was supposed to run it last year but sprained my ankle badly.

YP1
12-11-2006, 05:42 PM
5.6 miles with running club tonight at 8:30 minute miles. I was struggling at first, but at the end I felt really good.

SarahinBalance
12-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Did body pump this AM, running this PM - Really trying to focus on how my clothes are fitting not what the scale says... Been SUPER sleepy and it's been so hard to get up in the mornings... just putting one foot in front of the other.

YP1
12-12-2006, 03:55 PM
I've committed to another marathon now, I'm so excited! It's at the end of May which gives me plenty of time to train, and my entry has been accepted so I'm definitely in.

:dance:

ennay
12-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Woohoo Helen!

I was really really tempted to sign up for the Flying Pig (beginning of may). I said I wasnt going to rush marathon training after baby, but it is going so much better than expected. I honestly think if I wanted to I could be ready to run a half by the end of January.

But then I started thinking about the looooooong runs with nursing and all and realized it would probably be a bad idea. I'll still be nursing when I do Portland in October, but by then he'll be on solids and my boobs probably wont explode if I go 6-8 hours without nursing.

My original schedule was a half in May, but I think there is a half in April I might do. I'm trying to not travel for races for one year. Boo hoo.

AnneWonders
12-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Oh, good! Marathons! Blogs! I need blogs!

I think there is a real good chance that we'll try for kidlet #2 next year, so after my half, I'm probably back on short, fun run/walks until I get grounded again. I need to stop negative thinking--the pregnancy might not be complicated next time around (assuming it happens). So marathon #2 is a couple years away, and I have to live vicariously yet again.

My next run is Thursday, 4 miles I think. I'll check in after. Then 8 on Sunday.

Anne

SarahinBalance
12-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Hey Helen - Tried a variation of your speedwork, and it atleast makes the treadmill more interesting... wasn't quite sure about my 10K pace, so I did 10 min mile for base pace, then upped it to 9.2 min mile for my 10K, 8.5 for my faster than and 7.5 for my sprint. Did 5 mins at 10 min mile instead of 3 between sets and finished with 7 mins so I could get a full 40 min workout in.

Was a really good workout, although since this is my first half I prob need to chill out a bit about pace and just focus on finishing. It's hard when I have this idea in my head of how fast I want to run it.

ennay
12-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Anne - my second pregnancy was totally different from my first, way fewer complications. I say after your half stay in "half shape" as long as possible!

sarah - when is your half?

we need a race thread so we can keep track of who is running what when

YP1
12-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Sarah, glad you enjoyed the speed session! Something for me to look forward to on Friday...

I did 12.5 miles with running club tonight. It was quite a hilly route, and I didn't get on particularly well with the energy drink I took with me, but I finished it fairly comfortably and at a decent pace for a long run. It did hit me just how far a marathon is, I think I'd managed to forget briefly...

6.7 miles to go!

ennay
12-13-2006, 11:59 PM
ran my hills from heck run this am. Made it up the first 2 and then about half way up the steep (28% grade) one. I was in front of house #30 and there was 32,34, 36, 38 and ironically enough the cemetery to the top. Heartattack hill is its new name.

SarahinBalance
12-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Ennay - Well my "official" half is February 18th, there's also a half on January 28th that I was thinking about doing as well. Since we're doing the walk breaks and stuff I think I could handle it, especially since the first one has the last 3 miles downhill. Our coach is having us run atleast 14 prior to our "official" half so that we know there's no way we're not going to finish. So that "atleast 14" may be the first half instead of what would have been a scheduled run with my running group (does that make sense at all). I think coach is even going to have us vote to see if we all want to do that one together. So anyways definitely Feb 18th, maybe Jan 28th.

About to go do 4 around our hike and bike trail. Nice and crisp outside so should be a good run.

AnneWonders
12-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Well hacking cough today and burning lungs. I bagged it. Second cold in two weeks. :( Hoping to be feeling better for my 8 miler on Sunday.

Anne

YP1
12-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Ouch, I've remembered what marathon training feels like after that 12.5 miler on Wednesday. (Not helped by doing lunges and squats at the gym yesterday). I woke up this morning and my legs weren't playing ball so I did 30 minutes of mixed cardio (10 minutes run, 10 minutes bike and 10 minutes rower) instead of a longer run so at least I could work some different muscle groups to the ones that were hurting!

I'm trying to decide whether to do cross country for my running club on Sunday. It's only 4.5 miles and should be quite fun, but I don't have any studs and I'm worried about not having enough grip in my normal running shoes. I suppose I could wait and see what the weather's like.

YP1
12-16-2006, 10:47 AM
5.4 miles today. I'm still sore from the hilly long run on Wednesday so I decided not to push it by going further. I haven't run today's route for a while though, and even sore and feeling like I was struggling on the way round it was comfortably the fastest I've ever run it, so running club must be working.

Still haven't decided about cross country tomorrow. But as long as I run at least 1.3 miles either there or on my own at some point before the end of the year I'll hit that 1200 mile target :carrot:

AnneWonders
12-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Congrats on your 1200 miles!!

I did a Ride n Tie relay race w/ DH this morning. Basically, one person rides a mountain bike and the other one runs. Once the biker passes the runner and rides for a while, the biker leaves the bike and becomes the runner, then the first runner picks up the bike and rides on, kind of hopscotching like that through the course. We had a lot of fun, but DH can almost run faster than I can mountain bike, so I ended up riding most of the trail, and only ran a couple miles of the 11. We took 3rd in the co-ed team category, mainly because he is so fast. Our team name: Tired and Broken (I'm tired and he is injured).

Supposed to do 8 miles tomorrow. I'm still wheezing and hacking, but obviously I am capable of some kind of workout.

Anne

ennay
12-16-2006, 09:01 PM
cool race Anne! that would be great for dh and I - he is a good biker though, he would catch me very quickly

My son was hospitalized last night for RSV, we are home now, but I havent done much this week.

AnneWonders
12-16-2006, 11:25 PM
Oh ennay, how frightening. I hope things are better now. My thoughts are with your son.

Anne

YP1
12-17-2006, 09:26 AM
Ennay, hope things are OK. Sorry, I don't know what RSV is, but hope it's nothing too serious.

I did cross country in the end, and it was surprisingly fun considering it involved running up hills in ankle deep mud. If I'm going to do it again I really need to get some proper shoes, I was slipping all over the place in my road shoes but couldn't justify spending christmas present money on shoes for one race before I know whether I'm going to do it regularly.

The good news is that I got a scoring place for my club (first four women from each club count) - OK there were only five women running for us, but the other three had done it before and had proper shoes so I made it my task to beat the other newbie. I almost caught the club person in front of me, she finished 40th and I finished 42nd. I have no idea how many people were running overall, but at least it feels like I had a purpose being out there. I would have hated to have run it and not even scored (although you do still have a purpose because you can push other people further back in the placings). I have no idea how far it was, I think I was pretty slow compared to my road pace, but I guess that's normal on that terrain. I did at least run all of it apart from the very slippy bits, and didn't resort to walking the hills which I usually do on races like that. I can't do the next one because I'll be on holiday, but I might do another one or two in the new year.

AnneWonders
12-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Helen, sounds like a lot of fun!

I attempted my 8 miler this morning, 4 out and back, and managed to run (mostly) the first 6 miles. Still having trouble breathing with this upper respiratory thing, so I ended up walking the last 2 miles. I had a really hard time going this morning, so getting that far really seems like a victory.

Anne

YP1
12-18-2006, 05:28 PM
6.4 miles with running club tonight. My last run with them this year, I can't run on Wednesday (although I'm hoping to make the party afterwards), and then I'm away until the new year. It felt really good today.

Ilene
12-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Ran 5k this morning, it was gorgeous here, I love this time of year!

AnneWonders
12-18-2006, 10:54 PM
My coach gave me a rest week. I have a 30 minute easy run on Wednesday, and then a 10 miler on Sunday. Some puttering around on the bike and lifting a couple days, but that's it. Next week is a big week, but I'm off work, so it should be all good.

ennay, any more news about your DS?

Anne

SarahinBalance
12-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Did 40 mins of intervals (speedwork whatever you wanna call it) on the treadmill this AM. Kind of fun switching it up and constantly changing what I'm doing. Know it burns more cals, just hoping that it's helping my speed out as well.

Just getting geared up for Xmas, trying to keep my eating in check although I had a rough weekend.. if I can just maintain till the New Year then I'm ok.

Ennay - Hope your son is doing ok

Anne - That race with your husband sounds fun! Wish my BF and I did
exercise stuff together

Helen - Your cross country race sounds like and adventure!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Ilene - I wish it was gorgeous here! Warm, humid and gray

AnneWonders
12-20-2006, 10:38 PM
I was going over these with my coach. Thought they were interesting, if a little sad. Kinda puts the year in perspective with entire months missed due to illness, and races just done on shoestring training. Glad things finally appear to be turning around.

Swim totals:
58,825 yds = 33 miles, 29 hours, 40 workouts

Bike totals:
845 miles, 62 hrs, 50 workouts, avg speed 13.6mph (includes some mountain biking)

Run totals:
268 miles, 61 hrs, 79 workouts, avg pace 13:30/mile (includes run/walks, jogger runs)
28 more miles scheduled

Number of days I wrote SICK in my training log: 68!! Does not include days I felt sick and worked out anyway, days that say SLACK, SLEEP, antibiotics, or SICK KID or any days I was too sick to make an entry.

Number of pounds lost since 1/1/06: 28.

Number of triathlons raced: 5
Number of aquathlons raced: 4
Number of duathlons raced: 1
Number of cycling races: 1
Number of running races: 5

Anne

YP1
12-22-2006, 10:56 AM
10.25 miles home from work today. I only actually live 4.5 miles away from work, but I took the long route! now I've just got to drive back and pick up my stuff...

ennay
12-22-2006, 04:31 PM
ran today for the first time since ds got sick...run was good but got a migraine after...too little sleep

AnneWonders
12-22-2006, 06:36 PM
ennay, how is he doing now? I've been thinking about you.

Anne

ennay
12-22-2006, 07:03 PM
he is doing pretty well, but they say we have to watch for a relapse for the rest of the cold/flu season

and despite the illness, that is a pretty impressive year!

YP1
12-23-2006, 06:41 AM
Glad to hear he's doing well.

Just over 5 miles this morning, that gets me to my rough 100 mile/month target for December, and I'm going to take it easy for the rest of the month in Spain. I'm going to take a couple of days off, my hip was niggling on the way round today (I think I need new shoes which may have something to do with it), and right at the end I got a really strange back twinge and had to stop to walk for a couple of paces before it disappeared nearly as quickly as it had arrived.

Happy Christmas everyone!

ennay
12-23-2006, 12:04 PM
I wore my new shoes yesterday and it was heaven!! all my little aches were gone. want to get out today but it just may not happen

AnneWonders
12-24-2006, 03:01 PM
I ran 10 miles this morning, my Christmas gift to myself I suppose. I am still dragging from this cold and DID NOT want to go, but went anyway. I was on the slow side but other than that, hit all my goals for the run, a 4/3/2/1 run pattern, with short walk breaks in between. Another woman runner, stopped me and warned me there was an exhibitionist on the trail, but fortunately I didn't see him. That is one "present" I'm just as happy to keep wrapped!!

I usually don't have my coffee before running because it'll give me nasty heartburn, and I had a gel at 4 miles with caffeine. Felt better about 5 minutes after it was in. I'm going to have to find a decent caffeinated pre-run beverage. I could tolerate diet Coke when I drank that more, but I don't like to have that in the house--trying to set a better example for the chicklet by drinking sodas only occasionally (as opposed to the 4-a-day habit I used to have). Maybe tea? Anybody have any experience running with tea?

I have a 2 miler Tuesday (woo-hoo!), 6 on Thursday, 9 next Sunday, and then taper, taper, taper.

Happy holidays!

Anne

ennay
12-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Got out yesterday for a 5 miler and today for my hills from heck run. I was slower than slow today, but I did make it to the driveway of house #36 (3 houses farther than last time) before I had to walk the killer hill.

AnneWonders
12-26-2006, 03:31 PM
I did a 2.5 mile recovery run this morning. Just about 30 minutes. Pretty happy with it.

Anne

ennay
12-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Was going to do my longrun today but felt really sick yesterday, so pushed it off til tomorrow. I'm going to try and go to the gym this afternoon, so it should be interesting doing a long run the day after weights.

SarahinBalance
12-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Did my first 10 miler on Saturday - We averaged 11 min miles which isn't bad considering walk breaks and a couple of waters stops along the way... My legs were pretty tired by the end of it, but confident now that I can complete a half which is only tacking on 3 more miles... YAAAY!

Trying to decide between 4 and 6... leaning towards 6 since I haven't run since Saturday and have all the fun Christmas energy to burn off.

ennay
12-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Ugh wanted to be on the road by 8 this morning and I barely crawled out of bed at 8.

YP1
12-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Hello from Spain! I've done a couple of three mile runs since I got here (one on Christmas day before breakfast and one this evening), I don't tend to run much further than that because that's the run along the seafront from where my parents live to the other end of town and back, and to add more distance I'd have to go round twice or head onto the back streets which aren't as nice to run. But that will do me to keep me ticking over until I get back.

midwife
12-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi all! I've been running...not as consistently as I would like, but I am doing it!
I think I need new shoes.

Anne, that's scary about the exhibitionist. Do you run with a dog? The only thing I can ingest before a morning run is peanut butter toast.

You ladies are throwing up some impressive mileage! Good job!

How lovely to run in Spain, Helen.

ennay
12-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Sarah - isnt it cool to say "I ran 10 miles"? Remember when 6 was tough and now you just go run it.

I got back from my run ~9.5 I was really struggling and slow today. I just feel like my speed is NEVER coming back and I was actually slower this week than when I ran it last. Although I did run it in reverse and I think the hills are harder that way.

AnneWonders
12-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Six miles for me today. Ran the whole thing, hilly course, better than 12 min/miles and most of it closer to 11s. Felt great.

It is feeling good to be back in this kind of shape again. Nothing is as hard as running.

Anne

ennay
12-29-2006, 10:10 PM
Ran to the gym (3.1), lifted and ran home. My second 5K was faster than my first despite the weights in between

YP1
12-30-2006, 02:14 PM
3 miles again today. Not huge runs, but more than I usually do when I'm here so I'll take it. Next week will be another light week then I'll start doing longer runs again. I almost considered doing another 3 mile loop today, but decided against it after about 2.5 miles. That's why I don't like multiple short loops ;)

AnneWonders
12-31-2006, 03:29 PM
9 miles today. 1h55m. Went with my coach who made me take some walk breaks. It was nice to have company.

Happy New Year everyone. See you in January.

Anne

Ilene
12-31-2006, 04:34 PM
7.7k/4.8miles today, took me 1:02, I am so slow... But oh well I was out there and I had fun...

Happy New Year my virtual running buddies!!

ennay
12-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Year in review:

Running and power walking (ok and near the end power waddling) : 662.8 miles
Swimming: 20050 yards = 11.4 miles = 34.2 REM
Stationary Biking: 140 minutes = 14 REM
TOTAL: 716.2 Miles 66 over goal

Location: Virtual run from my home in western oregon to Tremonton Utah

ennay
12-31-2006, 06:45 PM
9 miles today. 1h55m. Went with my coach who made me take some walk breaks. It was nice to have company.

Happy New Year everyone. See you in January.

Anne

Too bad we live so far apart, we are so close to the same pace!

Oh, and Anne is my name too, but I answer to Ennay!

AnneWonders
12-31-2006, 11:07 PM
Hi Anne, nice to meet you. I figured that might be your name. Our own Ilene used to go by eneli around here!

Excellent mileage BTW. I'm impressed and a little jealous. I'm hoping when we start cooking #2 I can be a lot more active this time. Funny how things change--the first time I was planning to run until 8 months and it didn't come close to that with that gem of a pregnancy I had, and this time my goal is to simply get 20 minutes of walking/day, assuming I don't get bedrest again! We'll see how it goes. Time is short now, two weeks til the half and TTC very soon, and I get nervous.

Anne

ennay
01-01-2007, 01:23 PM
anne - hey if you looked at my first pregnancy vs. my second...totally different. Are you going to try for a VBAC or just go repeat C?

Just keep running as long as you can.

I thought about signing my real name but there are a lot of Anne's and Ann's on here already, so Ennay it is!