Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-30-2006, 10:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Default 3 pounds to go

You all are such an inspiration to me. I joined 3FC only a few weeks ago, but have already learned so much, namely that maintenance takes as much planning and effort as actually losing weight. The last few pounds have come off fairly easily and I'm surprised that I'm as close to my goal as I am. I feel like a totally different person. None of my clothes fit and I'm gradually getting rid of my old stuff and buying new. People are really starting to comment which is exciting but also a bit uncomfortable at times, especially when I'm in a crowd. I'm terrified that I'm going to start gaining the weight back, like I've done before. It truly feel this time is different, though, and I'm eating healthy (not starving like I used to) and excerising (and actually loving it). Anyway, I just wanted to give you all an update. Now I'm wondering if I should shoot for 135 instead of 140. How do you come up with an ideal weight? I just measured myself and found that I'm actually not quite 5'8" -- more like 5'71/2". If you go by 100 pounds for 5 feet and then 5 pounds for every inch over, I should weight 135. I still feel like I have some flab around my middle, but I'm not sure how much I should try to take that off with dieting or just focus on exercise and weight training. I'm wearing a size 6 or 8. I'm a little worried about not having a goal after I hit 140, and that maintaining will turn boring and I'll turn back to food. Losing weight has been fun and exciting.
Thanks,
Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:20 PM   #2  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Welcome Pam!!!

Your goal will be maintaing for life and not seeing that scale creep upward again.

Also, 143 is a completely healthy weight BMI-wise for a woman of your height. Actually, anything under 161 is a good weight for you according to the BMI charts.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:15 AM   #3  

Congratulations, Pam!

I think you'll figure out what weight your body feels most comfortable. I'm 5'6" and my original goal weight was 135 lbs. But, I've had a heck of a time staying that low. My range is between 135-140, but I'm most comfortable toward the top of my range.

As far as not letting things get boring, that could BE one of your goals after hitting your target weight. Explore healthy food and ways of eating, change up your workouts and make sure you have lots of variety (and fun!) and be a student of nutrition and body mechanics. There's so much to learn and it all ties into your ultimate goal of living a healthy lifestyle and maintaining a healthy weight.

Good luck - I'm happy to see you here.
karynlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:15 AM   #4  
Meg

Welcome to Maintainers, Pam, and congratulations!

Like the other wise maintainers said, first and foremost your goal weight should be something that you can comfortably maintain day-in and day-out, year-in and year-out. You won't get that number off a chart - it's something that your body will tell you. So how about stopping at 140 and seeing how you look and feel there? You can always go lower after practicing maintenance for a while.

PS - if you ever feel bored by maintenance, just go clothes shopping for cute little clothes. Guaranteed not boring and v-e-r-y motivating!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:21 AM   #5  

Thanks for the kudos, ladies. I'm going to stick with my 140 goal weight and see how difficult or easy it is to maintain. I've been that low before a couple of times in the last 20 years, but only for a short while because I started overeating again, and it didn't take much to make me gain. This time is going to be different. For one thing, I'm exercising, which I have never done before. I've noticed how it has helped me lose, and keep losing, even when I don't follow my eating plan perfectly. I've tried to stay around 1,000-1,200 calories a day, but there are several days a week I allow myself to go out to eat and have what I want. Not a binge mind you, but salad with blue cheese dressing or frozen yogurt with carmel and peanuts on top. Anyway, clothes are definitely a motivator. I love my new clothes and can't stand the thought of not being able to fit into them. Every morning I'm excited about what I get to put on instead of worrying about having to struggle into too-tight jeans and look horrible and feel uncomfortable because everything pulls and exposes my rolls. Thin definitely feels better than food tastes.
Pam
Old 12-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi Pam and welcome to maintainers forum. WTG on the fantastic wt. loss.
I'm 5'7 and set my goal at 145. This gives me a BMI of 22 and is easier for me to maintain. Clothes are a great motivator for me too. I had thought that I might eventually like to get to 135 but I'm going to try maintaining where I'm at for a full yr. before I try to go any lower. Trying to give my mind time to catch up with my new body.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #7  

Thanks, Lilybelle: I think 140 is going to be a good weight to try to be at for while. I'll keep working on toning up my rolls and see how it goes. I'm definitely discouraged this morning. I at pretty lightly all day and then went out for Chinese food with my hubby and had hot and sour soup, half an egg roll and half of my order of sesame chicken, with very little rice. I was up 2 pounds this morning. Ugh. I'm sure it's water weight because the food was pretty salty, but still, seeing the number go up makes me want to eat everything in sight. This is one of those points where I know I can't beause that's how I've fallen off the wagon before. I have a little backslide, get discouraged, and then just go back to my piggy ways. I've already worked out this morning, so I'm off to a good start. I am going to the Bronco game tonight, though, so it will be hard not to eat too many peanuts.
Pam
Old 12-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #8  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Pam, I wouldn't worry about that 2 lbs. it's probably water weight and will be gone in a day or two. I do this sometimes too, especially if we eat out. Anything salty sends the scale straight up. I avoid salt in my food at home. I think for your heighth 140 will look great. WTG on exercising this morning. I always exercise of the evening.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:58 AM   #9  

Pam,

First, do NOT give up. Second, repeat after me: Up and down. Up and down. Up and down. This is what maintenance is all about. Bodies do not stay static. Of course you're up two pounds -- you ate a salty meal. And of course you're right: it's water, not fat. This is not a backslide; repeat, this is not a backslide.

Now, it could have become a backslide but you've already taken steps to prevent that. You exercised. And you're already thinking about tonight's game. A thought ... on the one hand, peanuts are good snacks -- full of nutrients. However, they're also full of fat. Is there anything else that you might consider ... say, popcorn? Just a thought ...

And one last observation ... you say you ate lightly yesterday. That's one strategy when you know you're going out to eat. But there's another way to think about it: were you, by any chance, too hungry when you sat down to eat? After years of experimenting, I no longer eat lightly on such days because I wind up starving by the time I hit the table. Instead, I eat regularly and then I'm able to make good choices. For example, I probably would have had hot and sour soup, and a veggie-laden stir fry that didn't have a sauce. And I would have skipped the egg roll.

Do I sound dictatorial and bossy? I really don't mean to, and I apologize if I do. But you've done such a great job so far and I want you to keep on being successful.

Have a great time at the game!

I'm coming back to edit this because the more I thought about it, the more I realized how strident my tone was. I don't mean to lecture; indeed, given your success you don't need lectures from me or anyone.

But I'm always troubled by everyone (me included) who is quick to label themselves a failure when they're anything but. Anyone who has lost any amount of weight and maintained that loss -- or is striving to maintain that loss -- is a success! Let me again quote Anne who notes that each of our bodies is a laboratory of one, subject to experimentation and observation (Anne, I think I should pay you a royalty every time I quote you ) We're all exploring, we're all experimenting ... and we're all doing a crackerjack job because no lesson is wasted.

And finally, there's absolutely nothing wrong with sesame chicken. Just be aware that it will exact a higher "price" in terms of calories.

Be kind to yourselves chickies; it's a jungle out there.

Last edited by Airegrrrl; 12-03-2006 at 12:58 PM. Reason: It's a matter of tone ...
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #10  

Thanks, Airegrrrl. You're tone was just fine. Thank you for pointing out that I wasn't backsliding and that maintaining is going to be an up, down, up down, kind of thing. I really need to get used to that and not let the scale dictate my emotions so much. One of my strategies is not to give up the foods I love, which is why I went ahead and have the sesame chicken. I know it's high in fat and calories, but I really wanted it so I had it. Not a lot though. I quit eating when I was satisfied, so I should look at that as an accomplihsment, I guess. I did pretty well at the game. No peanuts, but a few sun chips and gummy bears. I didn't have dinner because we were in a big rush to get there on time, so the snacks didn't through my calorie count off too much. The scale was down 1 pound less this morning, so that felt good.
Thanks for the support and encouragement.
Pam