100 lb. Club - My Commitments for Today

View Full Version : My Commitments for Today

Nalynn
11-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Okay, I'm going to get (lovingly) tough here. You CAN stop, Nalynn--if you want this bad enough....

So, my not-asked for advice to you is to sit down with yourself and see if you really are willing to give up what you want right now (food) to get something in the future (good health, great clothes, and everything that comes with feeling better about yourself). If the answer is yes, then make a commitment to yourself and start making the changes that will support you.

I think sometimes tough love can be just what you need to start something you've been dragging your feet on. In honor of the "tough love" I received (and am so grateful for), I am making the following commitments:
:) Today I will not eat chocolate
:) Today I will drink at least 8 glasses of water
:) Today I will get on the treadmill
:) Today I will focus on what I can do to make TODAY successful and not worry about the long road ahead. I will save that for another day.

I feel better already!! Who wants to join me in making some commitments for the day?????

rockinrobin
11-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Ooooh Nalynn I like this - A LOT and it's just what I need as the past few days I've slacked off a bit - stupidhead that I am. Maybe we should keep this going as a daily thread?

My commitments for today are as follows:

:) I will not overeat my portions, like last nights turkey breast that wasn't even good
:) I will drink at least 64 oz. of water
:) I will exercise for at least 40 mins.
:) I will not nibble during the day, even if it's small amounts and it's healthy food, those calories count too.
:) I will not nibble during the day
:) I will get refocused and remember that I CAN and HAVE to do this
:) I will not be so hard on myself, it gets me no where
:) And one more thing I wll not nibble during the day.

beautifulone
11-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Fabulous Nalynn :D

Get n healthy
11-30-2006, 12:33 PM
I really like this and need this for today. I love the motto about what you want right now versus what you want the most. The smell of chinese food is very hard for me to weigh against being healthy.

For today:

:) I will stay within my calorie range
:) I will drink 8 glasses of water
:) I will allow myself one healthy snack
:) I will remind myself, this is not a diet, this is a lifestyle that i HAVE TO continue on if i want to be healthy and feel good about myself
:) I will remind myself that even if i have weeks where i dont lose a pound, whether i worked hard or not....i am not a failiure and it is worth continuing.

CLCSC145
11-30-2006, 12:48 PM
:) I will eat healthy foods today
:) I will drink more water
:) I will take a walk
:) I will make good choices at the grocery store today
:) I will NOT think negative thoughts about myself!

mookiemunchkin
11-30-2006, 02:08 PM
I really need this thread today. I've been off the wagon for three months, and unfortunately gained back 16 lbs. in that time. BUT- today is a new day!

:) I will NOT beat myself up for past mistakes.
:) I will drink 64 oz. of water.
:) I will stay within my points today.
:) I will do at leat 30 min. exercise tonight..no matter how tired I am.

Sheila53
11-30-2006, 03:03 PM
Thanks for starting this!

My commitment for today is to make cookies for my church's holiday bazaar as I promised (why, oh, why did I say I would?) and not eat any cookies or any of the ingredients.

Oh, and when you follow through on these commitments, be sure and post in the November NSV thread because these will definitely be wonderful NSVs! :D

CLCSC145
12-01-2006, 02:53 AM
How did everybody do? Great, I hope!

I kept mine! I didn't go to the grocery store, but I think I met that one by default since I couldn't make bad choices there if I didn't go (I HATE going).

I was pretty tired and just shut my eyes for a "second" at around 7:30 and woke up at 9PM! I could've passed on the walk (it's chilly for CA and I was toasty in my slouchy clothes and sleepy), but I promised I'd walk, so I dragged myself out for a half hour. Yay!

rockinrobin
12-01-2006, 07:17 AM
Yay!!! Good for you CLCSC on keeping to your commitment. Did I notice a little downward movement on your ticker? If so :cheer2: I did pretty good as well. I barely nibbled, really practically nothing, but didn't quite meet the 40 mins of exercise, but did do 30. On to today;

:) I will drink plenty of water
:) I WILL stay within my calorie allotment
:) I will not nibble, no nibbling
:) Since it's raining I will do an exercise video this MORNING
:) I will stop being so down on myself, it's been a rough couple of weeks, it was bound to happen. I can't expect 3 teenage daughters not to act like, well, 3 teenage daughters. I will not turn to food during times of stress.
:) I will still not turn to food during times of stress.
:) I will remember my goals and remember the big prize down the road.

beautifulone
12-01-2006, 08:41 AM
:) I will drink plenty of water/fluids
:) I will keep track of what I eat and put in my mouth!
:) I will do my small exercises (since I can't go to the gym and do my regular)
:) I will be positive and optimistic
:) I will recognize that I am want to be on track more than I want any food that is available to me!

Good day to us all!

mookiemunchkin
12-01-2006, 08:48 AM
I almost kept all of my commitments....it was not in cards for me to exercise last night...between traffic..helping kiddies with homework...and making dinner for DH who got home late...I did not stop until 10:00pm. Let's see how today goes....

CLCSC- :congrat: Way to go on getting up and walking..even when you were nice and cozy! I need to learn from you! :dance:

:) I will drink my 32oz of water.
:) I will stay within my points
:) I will try to exercise 30min. (even at midnight if need be! LOL)
:) I will keep in touch over the weekend (a biggie for me)

NavyWifeDee
12-01-2006, 10:24 AM
My committments for today:

:) I will drink at least 5 glasses of water (have to work up to 8)
:) I will not eat cookies while I make them to take to work(or at work)
:) I will not overeat my portions of spaghetti carbonara (my fav!)
:) I will walk home from work (with my new shoes)

and unfortunately, I got a new scale... and have to change my ticker, so I will start over on losing the 5-10 lbs I thought I lost.

Dee

CLCSC145
12-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Bummer on the scale, Dee. :mad: And great job, everyone! Nalynn, how about you who started us out on this super idea?

Here's my commitments for today:
:) Walk for 30 minutes
:) Buy healthy food at the grocery store :carrot:
:) Make a good choice when I go out to dinner tonight with friends, even if they are eating something "fun"
:) Drink more water than diet soda

Have a great day everybody!

MsHelena
12-01-2006, 03:02 PM
My commitments for today:

:) I will only weigh myself once, not every time I am on the same floor as the scale.
:) I will go to sleep before midnight.
:) I will eat something, even though I feel like I'm dying.
:) I will lift weights for at least 20 minutes.

Nalynn
12-01-2006, 11:04 PM
:) Congratulations to everyone!! Sorry I'm so late in posting my results... it has been a crazy day!

In a nutshell, I did not keep all of my commitments, BUT I did have the best "health" day that I've had in a long time!! I didn't get on the treadmill, and I only drank six glasses of water, but overall, the day was a VICTORY for me. I resisted the overwhelming urge to stop and get fastfood for dinner. It took every ounce of strength I could muster.... I literally got into the lane to turn into McDonalds and then talked myself out of it, and then changed my mind again and started on my way to another fastfood restaurant. Long story short, the internal battle went on for over 20 minutes (literally the little devil on one shoulder and angel on the other). In the end, the me that wants to be healthy won the battle.:carrot: Yesterday, I made more right decisions than wrong.... and it was a day I could be proud of :D

I'm too late to post commitments for today, but just having posted for yesterday helped me stay stong today! I will be out of touch this weekend because I have a craft show, but I hope you will all continue to post your commitments and your results, and I will catch up on Monday.

My Commitments for this weekend:
:) I will not eat junkfood at the craft show (no matter how good those cinnamon roasted almonds smell)
:) I will drink 8 glasses of water each day
:) I will not partake in any alcoholic beverages at bowling on Saturday nigh
:) I will make more right decisions than wrong
:) I will start basking in the "small" victories like yesterday and start realizing that they are actually large victories!!
:) I will write down all of of things that I would like to acheive next week

On a side note, I have to share two other things.... First, I love you guys and I love this thread.... can we please keep it up?!? I think it has truly made a difference in helping me find the strength and renewed commitment that I've needed.... and I couldn't wait to get online tonight to see how you all did and see what you're new commitments were.

The second thing.... I had a moment of realization tonight. My son is twenty months old now, and I had planned to be losing weight ever since he was born. I just thought to myself tonight that if I had just lost two pounds a month for the last tweny months I would be 40lbs lighter. Duh, right??? But I never think in those terms. In all of my dieting efforts in the past, I would have considered 2lbs a month a failure. In fact, I wouldn't have even made it a whole month.... if the scale only moved 1lb in two weeks I would have given up. But now, I can see the victory in that. I am tired of the 'all or nothing mentality'. I am going to start embracing the "smaller" victories and see them as success.... not failure. Twenty months from today I would much rather see that I have celebrated many small victories, instead of being in the same place because I treated everything as a failure. I just had to share this, because this is a huge shift in my thinking.... and I literally feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I can't wait to check back on Monday!! :hug:

beautifulone
12-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Nalynn, I too really like this thread! I feel it helps me feel accountable, which is something I am finding very helpful right now! But more than that, I love having a communal place to set daily goals because daily choices are where it's always at! So I hope we keep this up!

I also wanted to thank you - I am also trying to validate my smaller actions as successes and recognize that that's what they actually are and embrace them!
I will start basking in the "small" victories like yesterday and start realizing that they are actually large victories!! [...] I am tired of the 'all or nothing mentality'. I am going to start embracing the "smaller" victories and see them as success.... not failure. Twenty months from today I would much rather see that I have celebrated many small victories, instead of being in the same place because I treated everything as a failure.

:yes: I can definitely relate and agree!

I did fairly well with my commitments!

CLCSC145
12-02-2006, 02:12 AM
:)I resisted the overwhelming urge to stop and get fastfood for dinner. It took every ounce of strength I could muster.... In the end, the me that wants to be healthy won the battle.:carrot: Yesterday, I made more right decisions than wrong.... and it was a day I could be proud of :D

That's AWESOME, Nalynn!!:bravo: I'm so proud of you. To come so close and still make the right decision takes tremendous willpower. Great job!

:) The second thing.... I had a moment of realization tonight. My son is twenty months old now, and I had planned to be losing weight ever since he was born. I just thought to myself tonight that if I had just lost two pounds a month for the last tweny months I would be 40lbs lighter. Duh, right??? But I never think in those terms. In all of my dieting efforts in the past, I would have considered 2lbs a month a failure. In fact, I wouldn't have even made it a whole month.... if the scale only moved 1lb in two weeks I would have given up. But now, I can see the victory in that. I am tired of the 'all or nothing mentality'. I am going to start embracing the "smaller" victories and see them as success.... not failure. Twenty months from today I would much rather see that I have celebrated many small victories, instead of being in the same place because I treated everything as a failure. I just had to share this, because this is a huge shift in my thinking.... and I literally feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Sounds like an honest to goodness moment of clarity to me!!! I got teary when I read your post because that is EXACTLY how I feel right now. I don't want to sabotage myself anymore with throwing in the towel over missteps that would have been inconsequential in a lifetime of more right than wrong decisions. No more letting myself think hopeless thoughts and soothing those hopeless feelings with food. Here's to small victories!:xcheer:

I kept all my commitments today. I was determined to fit in the walk after your post, Nalynn! Sore feet and all... GREAT JOB EVERYONE!

rockinrobin
12-02-2006, 07:36 AM
Good morning everyone. You've all been doing so well!!! I can't begin to tell you the inspiration and insight that you have given me. I appreciate it greatly. And all this talk about victories, very profound. We really should be basking in our small victories. Every day that we do something better or different then we did the day before IS a victory. And every day that we do something better or different then the old ways is really a big victory. I know for me I must remember that it took me 20 years to get this weight on, IT WILL NOT COME OFF IN A FEW MONTHS. Pateince, patience, patience. Got to look at the big picture.

And I also must remember the big prize at the end of the road. A lifetime of good health, increased physical activity, an easier life, a more enjoyable life and dare I say I wanna look good too and shop and shop and shop.

I want to set an example for my children, and show them that anything is possible. That nothing is insurmountable. My children are on the older side already - 19, 17 and almost 15 so it is too late to show them good eating habits as they were growing up. But thankfully I always fed them the right thing. For the most part. It was definitely more "do as I say not as I do" kind of a thing. But if I do this now, lose all this weight maybe they can learn something from it. If mommy can lose all this weight then I too can do anything I want with my life. Nothing is out of reach.

Maybe we should think about making this a new thread every week so that it's not as hard to look back at previous posts. Like every Monday start a new thread. Just a suggestion, whatever everyone else wants is fine with me. Just as long as we keep posting our daily commitments. Thank you again Nalynn for starting this really important thread. :hug:

I really sticked to yesterday's commitments really well. I'm getting a little frustrated with the scale though, it says I've lost only a pound since Monday.:?:

So here goes:

:) My first commitment should be to stay the heck off that scale and only weigh-in once a week.
:) I will drink lots of water today, but probably not as much as usual, because it's the weekend.
:) I won't get my usual exercise in because it's the weekend, and I won't beat myself up over it.
:) I will allow myself a few extra calories, going out tonight with some friends and that always includes food. But I won't beat myself up over it.
:) I will try to remeber what I just wrote, that I need to have patience and savor the little (not so little) victories, especially since it's the weekend and that is much harder for me.

Have a great weekend everybody. :wave: :wave: :wave:

NESunshine
12-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Wow... what a fabulous thread! I just read through all of the posts here and I'm just blown away by everything that everyone has said. Cheers to you all an all of your beautiful words and accomplishments! You have all inspired me to set some daily commitiments too so here goes!

1. I will stay within my calories this weekend, just because I'm away from the structured enviornment of work doesn't give me a licence to sncak all day!

2. I also don't have a licence to snack while I'm doing homework...I'm 2 weeks to the completion of my masters so that means that for most of my weekend I will be tied to my laptop....I will not be tied to chips too....or too much coffee!

3. I will not snack while I bake! I have a small event on Monday for a tiny theatre that I've been doing some work for (a dessert and wine reception)....the budget was small and we came up short on donated goodies so I get to bake to help cover the gap. I will not snack on ingredients or finished products this weekend nor at the actual event! I'm allowed a treat on Monday and I'd much rather have a small bite of cheesecake at the event than cookie dough this weekend!

4. I will turn off the tv and turn on the radio when I'm doing my weekend apartment cleaning so that instead of stopping to watch a piece of something I'll keep going and dance while I'm cleaning and burn some extra calories

5. GYM GYM GYM, WATER WATER WATER....Saturday and Sunday

6. I will try not to look like a complete fool at the grocery store on my weekly trip....I've started making my trips a natural food experience and not a hassel and bring my ipod and stuff.....Last week I definatly caught myself dancing in the produce department while looking at the lettuce....Gotta save my dancing for the cleaning!

Well I suppose these are more like commitiments for the whole weekend but its good for me if I go into it with a plan. I can't wait to hear how everyone else does! Have a great weekend!!!:carrot:

CLCSC145
12-02-2006, 01:38 PM
I LOVE those, Sunshine!!! Great plan (especially the dancing part... I caught myself doing that on my walk last night and then was embarrassed to find someone across the street looking at me :o ).

Here's are my commitments for today:
:p I will cook dinner when I go to my parent's house tonight so I can control what we eat, rather than eat something really fattening and be mad at myself later.
:p I will drink a lot of water today
:p I will walk for 30 minutes and not get discouraged at the shape of my shadow (it bummed me out last night!) because I'm working to change that.
:p I will not think negative thoughts about myself.

Robin, I'm up for keeping this up. It makes me feel good and I like that I can vary my commitments to fit the day ahead. Good luck today everybody!

CLCSC145
12-03-2006, 01:39 AM
Just a quick accounting before bed: I kept all of mine today with a little modification on the walk. My left foot arch is really sore so a 30 minute walk was not in the stars tonight, but in the spirit of abandoning the "all or nothing" mindset, I didn't let myself off the hook entirely. I took a 15 minute walk and walked slowly. After 15 minutes, my foot was done, but it was relaxing and I got to check out the Christmas lights in the neighborhood and take in some fresh air. :ginger:

Simple commitments for tomorrow:
:) Keep up with the healthy eating!
:) Walk as much as is comfortable and don't beat yourself up if it's not a lot.

NESunshine
12-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Alright gals...just thought I'd pop in with an update :dance:

Lets see I've so far stayed on track with my calories... I was on the high end of my allotment for yesterday but not over and I'm so far on point for today.

I had so much running around to do yesterday I'm just getting to the cooking and baking and homework today but I'm going in armed! I just had a light yogurt with some low-fat granola so that I'm not hungry and will ward off the snacking demon!

I definatly had the tv on while I was cleaning yesterday but I didn't stop to watch or snack at all. The house apartment is spic n span, vaccumed, washed, wiped and laundered and I got my holiday decorations up too. The TV is off today and the music is already going!

I've rocked the gym like a hurricane doing 60 minutes of cardio both yesterday and today then 30 minutes of weights on arms and legs yesterday and 30 today on abs and inner/outer thighs. Water is going strong too and I didn't make a fool of myself in the grocery store and bought all healthy things!

I'm going to set my commitiments for tomorrow now since I have a 20 hour day and won't have time to do it in the morning.

1. I will not freak out in nervousness at my event tomorrow night and take it out on wine and dessert...nor will I hopelessly nibble and sip just for the **** of it while socializing.

2. Today I'm cooking. I will make sure I bring enough food with me both tomorrow and Tuesday (Tuesday I have work, a 2 hour class and a show opening) that will get me through the whole day. The goal is to not need to eat and have to get take out...especially tomorrow since all that is near where i'll be tomorrow is chinese take out, mcdonalds and a mexican joint...junk.

3. Since I have too much going on to get to the gym I will do 30 minutes of yoga at home before leaving the house to give me a jump start.

4. Water water and more water

5. Tomorrow morning is my weekly weigh in day. This week is also the 1 month mark since I started and that means its also measuring day. I will not fret the results and keep going and remember either way I'm going in the right direction. Most importantly I feel better and deep down I know that the numbers will move with that if I keep going. I will post ALL results in my mini-goal thead.

Wish me luck girls and have a great week!!!:carrot: :flow1:

Nalynn
12-04-2006, 01:07 AM
Hi Everyone! Well, I'm back after a hectic weekend. The good news is that I kept my commitments.... another "small" victory :carrot:

Let me just say, you guys all rock! Everyone has been doing so well, it's so great to hear!

NESunshine - Your workouts are amazing. I really need to get my butt in gear!! And way to go on dancing while cleaning... I love it!

Rockinrobin - I know what you mean about being a "do as I say not as I do mother"... I'm trying to end it before my son gets any older. But let me assure you, your kids will gain SO much through you gaining control of your weight. You will not only be empowering yourself, you will be empowering them with the example you set!

Beautifulone - Way to go on meeting all of your goals!!!

So, I saw some votes for making this a weekly thread. Sounds good to me, we can start a new one every Monday. Since it's Monday now I'll start off a new one now.... but in the future, whoever gets to first can kick us off :D

See you on the new thread...........