General chatter - Favorite Christmas Song Or Movie

View Full Version : Favorite Christmas Song Or Movie

EZMONEY
11-27-2006, 11:56 PM
my Favorite Christmas Song Is Silent Night By Manheim Steamroller

Favorite Movie Is The Christmas Story

HarpoChicoGroucho
11-28-2006, 12:44 AM
I have a million favorite Christmas songs ~ but my favorite right now is "Christmas Canon" by the Trans Siberian Orchestra. Probably the one I can't get enough of is Mariah Carey's version of "O holy night." I love the Carpenter's "Merry Christmas Darling" and I adore Karen's version of "The Christmas Song." I love Faith Hill's "Where are you Christmas?" too. It's one of the only non-traditional songs that I really like.

My favorite Christmas movie is A Charlie Brown Christmas. AND -- I know (once I watch it :o ) I'll love It's a Wonderful Life. It's a travesty I haven't seen it, considering I'm a huge Jimmy Stewart fan. I also love Miracle on 34th Street. Oh, and the Muppet Christmas Carol too. I love the Dicken's story in most of its film versions, but I love the Muppets doing it the most.

Gladdy
11-28-2006, 01:59 AM
I love the "Christmas Canon" by Trans Siberian Orchestra! One of my pop favorites though is "All I Want for Christmas is You." Mariah Carey does a terrific version of that one.

lizziness
11-28-2006, 02:22 AM
song, the little drummer boy .

movie, the Grinch who stole Christmas (original not jim carey abomination) and Mixed Nuts.

Mummy_Tummy
11-28-2006, 09:12 AM
It's a Wonderful Life. I watch it every year and cry every year. I'm sure I've said this in another thread somewhere but I'm still hoping ol' man Potter will get his comeuppance!:D I just love the way the movie reierates how one person can have a big impact on the lives of others without even realizing it.

Harpo, I love Jimmie Stewart, too!

I also love Nightmare Before Christmas but I watch that at Halloween every year so consider it a Halloween movie, not a Christmas movie.:)

techwife
11-28-2006, 09:49 AM
I love Nightmare Before Christmas, but I too think of it more of a Halloween story than Christmas. My favorite is Christmas Vacation. Something about that cousin emptying his holding tank into the sewer is just too funny. And the cat eating the tree lights and the squirrel in the tree. Actually, I firmly suspect the person that wrote the parts for Clark Griswold was getting his stuff while studying my dad.

I love the old movies, too, but I get depressed watching them with the way they depicted American Family life back then...with dad's going to work while the moms stayed home and kept house and took care of the kids and the kids having simple expectations from their simple childhood lives. It breaks my heart how fast-paced and materialistic our lives have all become. And how early kids seem to be growing up. I just think the world could use a little more Norman Rockwell and LOT less MTV.

Anyhow...my favorite songs are from Manheim Steamroller. I took my niece to see a lazer show at the Planetarium when she was little that was mostly set to the Manheim Steamroller Christmas songs. It was really cool. My niece is now a school teacher in North Carolina. Time REALLY flies!!

Kimphin
11-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Sarajevo 12/24 by the Trans Siberian Orchestra. Saw them in concert a few Decembers ago - great!

For classics I'd have to go with The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole

mandalinn82
11-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Song - I want a hippopotamus for Christmas. I don't know why. And if I feel like weeping (because we all have those days when you need a good cry), "The Christmas Shoes".

Movies - every year, we watch Christmas Eve on Sesame Street and the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

techwife
11-28-2006, 01:31 PM
OH! Our friends 'down under' will appreciate this...anyone seen The Wiggles Christmas specials? We love them.

Candiflip
11-28-2006, 02:50 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the whole album 'December' by George Winston. Very pretty Piano Solos.

LindaT
11-28-2006, 03:20 PM
I love the song by Eva Cassidy called " It's not the Presents". Her voice is just amazing.

The Christmas Carol - The versions with Alastair Sim and George C. Scott are my favorites. The Little Drummer Boy makes me cry every time I see it.

alinnell
11-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Song: any A Capella version of the Carol of the Bells. It's also done nicely with just bells. And ditto on George Winston--I even have my cell phone with his music as my ring tones!!

Movie: A Wish for Wings that Work (an Opus Christmas).

shrinkingchica
11-28-2006, 04:08 PM
right now my fav xmas song is new york christmas by rob thomas. walking around the city it makes me feel xmassy.
fav movie at the mo' is elf.
candy, sugar, candy corn and maple syrup or whatever lol.

mandalinn82
11-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Oh, another favorite Christmas Song - first snowfall. It gives me chills. We performed it in high school choir around the holidays. Its kind of obscure.

going to lose 200
11-28-2006, 05:09 PM
My Favorite Christmas Movie is "Garfield's Christmas"

Brenad :wave:

GreatBigMonsterMomma
11-28-2006, 05:28 PM
My favorite recorded Christmas song is John Berry's version of "O Holy Night." And only his version. My favorite hymn to sing in church is Gloria in Excelsis Deo.

I don't like any Christmas movies. I'm pretty much a grinch.

EZMONEY
11-28-2006, 07:29 PM
THANKS GALS!

My favorite recorded Christmas song is John Berry's version of "O Holy Night." And only his version. My favorite hymn to sing in church is Gloria in Excelsis Deo.

OH YEAH GBMM! :angel: :angel: WE HAVE HEARD ON HIGH

I don't like any Christmas movies. I'm pretty much a grinch.

OH! Our friends 'down under' will appreciate this...anyone seen The Wiggles Christmas specials? We love them.

THEY MAKE WONDERFUL HOCKEY PUCKS :D

EZMONEY
11-28-2006, 07:33 PM
HARPOCHICOGROUCHO ~ GLADDY ~ KIMPHIN...

HURRY HERE TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AND CATCH A RIDE WITH ANGIE AND I ~ WE ARE GOING TO SAN DIEGO TONIGHT TO SEE TSO!iN ABOUT 2 HOURS....i WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WENT.

KIMPHIN ~ I JUST ORDERED NAT KING COLE CHRISTMAS SONG LAST NIGHT OFF AMAZON....:)

EZMONEY
11-28-2006, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=LindaT;1483203]I love the song by Eva Cassidy called " It's not the Presents". Her voice is just amazing.

QUOTE]

I LOVE EVA CASSIDY...I DON'T HAVE THAT SONG THOUGH...NEED TO GET IT!

alinnell
11-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Gary--I'm jealous! Actually, I had never heard of TSO, so I Google'd it and listened to some of the music. I'll bet you'll have a wonderful time tonight!!! In two weeks, we'll go see the Brian Setzer Orchestra's Christmas program. I've seen him doing his usual stuff, but this is just Christmas. Funny how I traveled to Dallas to see him last time--he lives here in our valley!

EZMONEY
11-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Hey Allison~ Did You See The Budweiser Commercial Last Year With The Christmas Lights On A Two Story Home Going On And Off To The Music By Chance? If You Did, That Was Trans Siberian Orchestra...i Am Going To Try And Get Out Your Way (?) This Week-end... Going To Beaumont...i Am Looking At A Real Estate Site For An Idea I Have Here At My Home. Enjoy Your Concert!!

owira
11-28-2006, 08:36 PM
White Christmas.. have to watch it every year or it just isn't christmas .. it was on t.v the other nite but hubby vetoed watching it before december.. SIGHS~ good thing I have it on DVD .. winkz~

alinnell
11-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Gary--we're in the process of buying a piece of property (Cathedral City). It's basically a driveway. LOL My in-laws have sold their house and bought a 5th wheel and they have become "snowbirds." They travel all over during the summer and spend their winters here. The RV park they stayed at last year is giving them problems, so we decided to buy them a lot at the Outdoor Resorts here. Who'd have thought that buying a driveway (with a little lawn) is just as complicated as buying a house? Good luck on your hunt.
Oh, yes, I did see that commercial. Now I know. I asked my DD if she has heard of them--she's really into music and has to compose something new and exciting for her school band and I though that listening to them might give her some new ideas.

EZMONEY
11-29-2006, 07:58 AM
The concert was awesome ~ didn't get home until midnight ~ 4am now and heading to work.....be back in a day or two.

wannabsexy
11-29-2006, 08:01 AM
We saw Manheim Steamroller for a Christmas concert a couple of years ago. That was welll worth the expense of going. Favorite christmas song would be a tie between Mary did you know or What if Jesus came back like that? I know they are more modern and not your typical Christmas Carol.

junebug41
11-29-2006, 08:21 AM
<--------------------- Favorite Christmas movie, although Christmas Vacation is very solid, this one has sentimental value.

As far as Christmas music goes, anything sung by Sinatra.

Oh, and I'm an absolute sucker for Christmas concerts. It's a tradition in my home to go to the Colorado Symphony's holiday show. A big orchestra, a children's choir.... what's better?

JerseyGyrl
11-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Favorite Christmas Song - Dominic The Donkey

Favorite Christmas Movie - Christmas Vacation

NurseMichelle
11-29-2006, 10:20 AM
I'd have to say Rockin around the Christmas tree too and the Hippopotamus one is too funny.

I like the Christmas story too, I live in NE Ohio and apparently the guy who bought the original Christmas story house spent a ton of money renovating it to look just like the movie and opened it up for the public to take tours. I'm about an hour and 15 minutes from there, probably won't make it up there, but neat to know it's up there.

mauvaisroux
11-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Favorite songs: O Holy Night, Santa Baby, Christmas in Hollis (rap)

Favorite Christmas Albums: the Neville Brothers Christmas album and the Mediaevil Babes Christmas album

Favorite Christmas Movies:
A Christmas Carol - (the old black and white one with Alistair Sim as Ebeneezer Scrooge) - a classic :yes:

Holiday Inn - with Bing Crosby - terrific film! :)

The Ref with Dennis Leary - hysterical dysfunctional family Christmas movie! :lol:

jtammy
11-29-2006, 11:56 PM
:clause: I can't choose one favorite song - I have two Christmas hymns that I adore:

O Come O Come Emmanuel and

What Child is This

My favorite Christmas movie is How the Grinch stole Christmas (the original animated version).:ginger:

Apolline
11-30-2006, 01:09 AM
My favorite movies: (because I can't pick just one)
Love Actually
White Christmas
The Grinch (animated version)

Fav. songs:
Carol of the Bells
White Christmas
Baby It's Cold Outside
All I Want For Christmas Is You
Santa Baby
O Holy Night

FrouFrou
11-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Too many to name just one favorite...but Christmas is not Christmas around here without these:

Movies:
The Christmas Story
Christmas Vacation
Home Alone 1 & 2
Charlie Browns Christmas (Saw it Tuesday night)

Songs:
Silent Night has special meaning to me
O'Holy Night by Jonh Berry is awesome! And I like the way Martina McBride sings it as well.
The Gift by ???I've drawn a blank
All I Want For Christmas by Mariah Carey

But my fav Christmas CD's are Mariah Carey's, Michael Bolton, Manheim Steamroller, Martina McBride, Elvis (yes Elvis...believe it or not it is an awesome CD), Home Alone #1

I had the pleasure of seeing Martina McBrides Christmas concert a few years ago, as well as Manheim Steamroller and they were both SPECTACULAR! Apparently the TransSiberian Orchestra has taken their place here. They were here last year but I am partial to MS so...

maegdaeien
11-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Mauvaisroux, I am totally with you on "The Ref"! It's a very nontraditional, yet oddly sentimental, Christmas movie.

My favorite song is "White Christmas," sung by Dean Martin.

My favorite movie... probably "Love Actually," although every year I do pull the blinds and watch "Home Alone" when I'm, well, home alone. I know it's really lame but I can't stop myself!

Beach Patrol
12-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Toughie! There's so many!!

I love the entire Christmas music library of Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I really can't pick a favorite ... but if I had to, I'd say "The Three Kings & I (What Really Happened)".

I also love Manheim Steamroller's Still Nache (Silent Night) and Carol of the Bells. Mariah Carey's version of O'Holy Night is the best I've ever heard. It always brings tears to my eyes! And who could NOT love "Linus & Lucy" - better known as "The Peanuts Theme"??? It's SO happy & bouncy!

As for movies... It's A Wonderful Life & Miracle on 34th Street are my alltime favs. I also like Scrooged, Christmas Vacation, and The Santa Clause.

Christmas Cartoons anybody?? "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is right up there along with Rudolph, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, A Year Without Santa Claus, & my all-time fav.... How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

OK, now I'm ready to decorate the tree & wrap the presents!:clause: :D

carolr3639
12-01-2006, 06:41 PM
I think Brenda Lee sang the first Rockin Around the Christmas Tree and Jim Brickman wrote The Gift for Susan Ashton and Collin Raye, a beautiful song all year round.

JaneLane
12-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Baby its Cold Outside, is my favorite Christmas song.

My favorite Christmas movie..is probably Home Alone 2, because it is just too cute, and I love that kid in the movies.