South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 06:33 PM   #1  
Slimwithin

Default Avocado???

What's the deal on Avocado? I'm on Phase 1 and in the first South Beach book, there's a recipe for Chicken Pistachio Salad and there's an entire avocado mashed up into the dressing. Nowhere in the allowed food lists can I find avocados and even in the updated list posted here in 3FC, I can't see where avocado is allowed. So, why would they have a recipe using it in Phase 1? I happen to have a lovely ripe avocado sitting on my counter and wondering if I can or cannot eat it.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:50 PM   #2  
it's always something

It counts as a good fat, not a veggie. 1/3 of a whole avocado = 1 tablespoon of oil

Enjoy your avocado
Old 11-28-2006, 12:45 AM   #3  
Slimwithin

Thanks, Suzanne. Now I can eat it with a clear conscience...but I guess I'd better not have any more oil that day. Or can I? I'm not too clear on that either. DUH!
Old 11-28-2006, 09:52 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Linda, we don't worry about the amount of oil (within reason) as long as it's good fat, i.e.; not trans fat, hydrogenated or saturated. Enjoy the avocado!

Note to Self: Add avocado to the fats in the Phase I List

Edited to add: Avocado, guacamole and olives are listed under fats in the Phase I List
Closed Thread