Weight Loss Support - yo-yoing and this is getting ridiculous and really could use some help.

wedded
11-27-2006, 05:00 AM
Hello. It's been a looong time since I've been on here. I gained some weight a few years back and it stayed on and then took quite a spike when I quit smoking in January. I'm the heaviest I've ever been, and I've been trying and trying for several months now to lose- and it's horrible. I lose a few pounds, I gain a few pounds. I've been going to see a nutritionist. She seems as confused as I am. I finally lost 2 pounds last Tuesday...I was so happy.

But I have this weird feeling tonight... like I've gained those two pounds back. And I'm soo angry at myself, at this weight.. It feels really bad.

I'm really frustrated. Two weeks ago, I cried in my nutritionist's office and really felt like an idiot. It's the yo yoing- losing then gaining. And all the while really really trying.

Anyone out there who has some perspective on this. I'm at wit's end.

wedded

srmb60
11-27-2006, 06:15 AM
Good Morning! Oh please don't start this Monday moring feel awful. I'm encouraged that you brought your troubles here. We'll coach you thru!

Now ... tell me what you did to lose that weight the first time.

Heather
11-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Susan's right -- Try to fend off the blues!!

Here are some more questions:

Do you write down EVERYTHING you eat -- accurately? That might be a good first step if you don't. A single tablespoon of peanut butter (16 g) is smaller than you think!

How many calories a day do you "shoot" for ??

And, if you're comfortable with it, what's your current weight? (or how much do you want to lose?)

wedded
11-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Thanks so much for your replies. I do feel better after a good night's rest. The blues are less blue. And it's really really wonderful to see your support.

Last time I lost weight it was a very rigid plan from a nutritionist. 2 starches and a fruit for breakfast, 2 cups vegetables and 3 oz. meat for lunch etc. etc It worked, but it was just not very sustainable. Currently, I'm trying to count calories and keep a food log. I think I do okay with measuring- but you're right I don't measure finger foods like peanuts and Pirate's Booty- I'll start measuring those.

But one of the reasons my current nutrionist is confused is that my coloric intake is about right- 1500-1800 calories for my height- 5 feet. But I will mysteriously lose and gain, sometimes as much as 5 pounds between weeks.

I'm scared to state my current weight/goals because I fall into the category of featherweight. I guess I got some eye-rolling last time I was here, one of the reasons I left the forums- it was sad. And gained 5 more pounds right after!

But you know, us featherweights get frustrated too. I've been trying to lose 10, now 20 pounds for the last 2 years. I am asian and small-framed. I've been exercising like a mad hamster, watching food like a hawk. And the scale won't budge. It's discouraging. Makes you kind of hate food. If I didn't love it so much.

Any thoughts?

healthytoad
11-27-2006, 01:16 PM
are you seeing a nutritionist or a certified dietician? ( you can read about the difference here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN00987 )

Sounds like a physical might be in order..and if you can get your doctor working with your nutritionist. I had similar frustions that you have until I finally went to a doctor that specializes in bariatrics. (On the board of Bariatrics for the state, has excellent background..not just a weight loss "clinic" doctor" ) You might find something in your hormone levels or other blood work that is making it hard for you to lose weight.

I told my husband the other day that it seemed to take a whole team of people to get my weight loss moving (finally!) the doctor, dietician, jazzercise teacher, and him LOL

srmb60
11-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Well, you certainly could hang out with the featherweights.
But I have an extreme bias toward Body for Life right now :)

I'm going to do a bit of guessing here and you can correct or ignore me if you wish. But here goes ...
You've lost weight a few times by eating very little and doing cardio?
You don't lift weights?
You eyeball without measuring more foods than you think?

Let's start with that and I'll meet ya back here later.

healthytoad
11-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Sorry, didn't see the message about the featherweight before I posted. You might want to check out the featherweight support group:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=197

(Not that we won't support you here too :) just thought they might have some good advice for you there, too.)

Mami
11-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Me Too! I gained weight while pregnant and cannot get it off now. Its taken me 5 months to lose 10 pounds (I initially lost 30 pounds within 2 weeks of the birth, but the rest wont go). I wasn't really trying that hard until about 6 weeks ago. I now log all food and exercise everyday. I was on a bit of a roll, losing about 1.5 to 2 pounds per week when I got food poisening. I didn't eat for 2 days, lost like 4 pounds, and as soon as I began eating again, I gained it all back and more. I didn't work out for a week because I was still sick. I am now back to where I started over 2 weeks ago. This sucks! It makes me realize that eating too little also does not facilitate weight loss. I think I'm losing the most on 1700 to 2000 calories per day, plus weight lifting 3 times per week and cardio 4 days per week. I have an appointment with a diet doctor on Friday. Hopefully she can help me get things moving. I REALLY want to look sexy this coming summer! Now I am basically invisible and I look older. Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep in touch if you find something that works.

wedded
11-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi! You know, I probably do eyeball foods sometimes. In the past I lost weight through that nutritionist's plan- very structured. and weight-training.

This time, I do more weight-training because of some injuries, and I do about 20-30 minutes of cardio. 2-3 times a week. I have a very active job as well.

I'm interested in losing weight- but this time I'm interested in losing weight in a way that I can just maintain forever. What's Body for Life?

srmb60
11-27-2006, 02:00 PM
It's a book by Bill Phillips and I've read Body for Life for Women by Pamela Peeke. I think it's a wonderful plan that just sorta sifts everything together for ya ... simple and plain.
There's a webite where you could get some pointers and we're working away on a thread here http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98831

Everybody's welcome!

wedded
11-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Mami I totally sympathize- the roller coaster does really really suck. It's that back and forth that gets you. the setbacks like getting sick.

I do wonder- maybe I should go to see a doctor. I wonder if my weight fluctuations are normal. I will look into that and bariatrics.

wedded
11-27-2006, 02:18 PM
I just looked at Body for Life thread. It sounds interesting. But whoa- the cardio look daunting.

I truly thank everyone for their support. It means a lot to me. I wonder why it can't be a little easier- do A and B and you get C. But I guess life isn't like that.

Thank you and hope to post regularly again!

srmb60
11-27-2006, 02:26 PM
I know I'm starting to sound like a paid promoter for BFL but .... I can't do daunting cardio. I've never been sporty. When I first talked to a doctor about my weight he asked me not to WALK more than 20 minutes! The first time I tried jogging I made 22 seconds!
You can only do what you can do. If it's walking for 20 minutes with the odd faster spurt ... so be it.

I'll step down off my soapbox now ;)

wedded
11-27-2006, 02:37 PM
I agree- the thought of making huge fitness jumps scares me. But was that 2.5 hours of exercise 3x a week? Maybe I misread that on the BFL board.

srmb60
11-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Lawdy no! I would never have started something like that! The page I printed out calls for 20 minutes of intense cardio 3 times a week ....
Meet me on that thread and we'll see what's up.

BlueToBlue
11-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Based solely on my own experience (I have no expertise in nutrition, so take this for what it's worth) I question whether 1500-1800 calories is really low enough for you to lose weight given that you are 5 ft and in the featherweight category. I am three inches taller than you, also a featherweight, and that is my maintenance calorie level. To lose weight, I have to reduce my calories to 1200-1500 per day. I'm eating about 1500 calories a day now and am maybe losing a pound per month. I also exercise like a mad hamster (one hour of cardio 3 days a week, one hour swimming one day a week, and one hour of weight training the other three days--with a trainer, so it's a super high intensity workout).

Also, are you sure your goal weight is realistic? For example, my stated goal is 115 pounds but the longer I work at this, the clearer it becomes that this is not a realistic goal for me. I am only three pounds away, so you'd think I could get there, but I am beginning to realize that the changes I would have to make to my diet to lose those last three pounds are probably more than I am willing to do.

wedded
11-28-2006, 02:03 AM
SusanB- I had to run to work. But I'm glad to hear that 2.5 hrs of cardio scares the heck out of someone else too! I may have misread that. I'll have to go back and see what I read. I'm interested enough to at least check out BFL.

Blue- That's an interesting thought that maybe I do need to drop to < 1500 calories. According to both dieticians ( I found out they are) they had me at 1500- but maybe as I grow older, in order to lose weight- I need to drop that. I don't know.. hmmm. I've thought about changing what my goal is as well. My goal is anywhere between 110-115, so given that you are several inches taller than me, I bet you would look and feel just fine at 118 or 120.

This growing older, metabolism slowing is really a pain! I'm 32 and it really feels like my body is just completely changing over the last year. And the quitting smoking- my goodness. You know, they say it doesn't slow your metabolism, and the weight gain is just from oral fixation eating, but you know, I seriously wonder about that.

Anyways, that was an aside- but I'm glad to hear these suggestions and know I'm not alone.!!!

srmb60
11-28-2006, 03:19 AM
Hi ladies! I'm up in the middle of the night because my husband is sick. He's gone back to sleep but here I am at 3fc. I love it here!

Yes smoking increases your metabolism. It increases your heart rate and blood pressure. You're not imagining it Wedded! There have been big changes in your body because of this. Rest assured that you've done a wonderful thing for your health. I admire you for it! The weight will go ... it will.

Heather
11-28-2006, 08:46 AM
I've missed a lot of this thread, but I wanted to go back to something you said earlier about mysteriously gaining 5 pounds in a week, right?

Some people are like that, especially around TOM! Weight loss isn't linear. It's not like if you eat well and exercise 1 day, and have a calorie deficit to lose 1/8 pound that you will see that loss on the scale the next day!! There are a lot of other variables that come into play.

Sounds like you have some tweaking to do. Make sure you really ARE eating the calories recommended first. If so, and you aren't losing, drop them a little, or increase the workout intensity...

It's okay to be a "featherweight", as you can see!

jtammy
11-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Based solely on my own experience (I have no expertise in nutrition, so take this for what it's worth) I question whether 1500-1800 calories is really low enough for you to lose weight given that you are 5 ft and in the featherweight category. I am three inches taller than you, also a featherweight, and that is my maintenance calorie level. To lose weight, I have to reduce my calories to 1200-1500 per day. I'm eating about 1500 calories a day now and am maybe losing a pound per month. I also exercise like a mad hamster (one hour of cardio 3 days a week, one hour swimming one day a week, and one hour of weight training the other three days--with a trainer, so it's a super high intensity workout).

Blue, I wondered that too. I'm 5'9" and weigh 220 and even at my weight, doing 45 minutes of cardio 5 - 6 times a week, I can't lose at 1800 anymore. I need to go a little lower than that to actually lose. I should be able to maintain there, or slightly higher, from what I've experienced. That's something to consider.

Mami
11-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Tammy, are you doing any weight training in addition to your cardio? I have found over the years that you can eat a lot more if you are muscular (it doesn't really show on a woman so don't worry) and when you lift fairly heavy weights, you can literally feel your metabolism speeding up after your work out. I am starving if I eat below 1700 calories and I think this may be from the weights, which I have been lifting on and off for over 10 years. When I used to lift weights 2 times per week with NO cardio, I was able to maintain 128 pounds (which was a size 6 on me) on well over 2100 calories per day. Now, if I can only get back to that 128 pounds, I can eat again!

jtammy
11-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Tammy, are you doing any weight training in addition to your cardio?

Some, although not as much as I should be doing. Adding more weight training is one of my fitness goals, though. I should probably invest in a few sessions with a trainer to make sure I'm doing it correctly. I afraid of doing it incorrectly and injuring myself, so I haven't done as much as would be beneficial. :)

Heather
11-28-2006, 09:23 PM
I highly recommend working with a trainer. I, too, am scared of not knowing what I'm doing and really getting a lot out of sessions with a trainer who makes sure I'm doing things right!

BlueToBlue
11-29-2006, 05:07 PM
Wedded, I know just what you mean about the smoking--I quit when I was 25 and definitely gained weight (wish I could say that all the weight gain was due to quitting smoking but I don't think that was the case ;))! Don't think I haven't thought about taking it up again just to lose weight :devil: The only thing that stops me is that I know I'd just have to quit again and once was hard enough :eek: Seriously, though, I am far healthier for having quit smoking--literally, I get sick a lot less than did when I smoked (and, I smell better, too!). My friends who still smoke are sick a lot more often than I am. So there are some tangible benefits beyonds just the whole lung cancer, emphysema thing (which, at 25, I really wasn't all that worried about!)

I look pretty good at 118 and I wear a size 2 to 4, but I have to admit that there's still a lot more flab in my stomach and thighs than I would have expected at this weight. But I'm beginning to think I just need to accept it as part of who I am because it sure doesn't seem like it's going anywhere. And the fact is, it doesn't really show in most clothes (and how often am I wearing a bikini or a catsuit these days anyway ;) ). I'm beginning to realize that not everyone is meant, or needs, to have a perfectly flat stomach, esp. those of us that are pushing 40. How did I get so old? :fr: I swear, just last year I was only 25!

Tammy, I second Wyllen's recommendation of working with a personal trainer. I've had two at different times over the past year and I love them both. Way easier than trying to figure out the weights on my own and the workout I get when I am with my trainer is 100 times better than when I do weights on my own. And I look forward to my workouts with my trainer; they are far more interesting than when I workout on my own. It's made a real difference in my appearance and between the cardio and the weights, I've increased my calories. I started at 1200 and slowly increased to 1400 and was able to continue to lose weight at that level. Now at 1500 calories per day, I'm not losing much weight, but, as I said before I think I might be about as low as my body wants to go in terms of weight. I suspect that I could eat a little more and still maintain.

Momof2
11-29-2006, 05:39 PM
Im a Yo-yoer too... I hope you get out of it@!