100 lb. Club - Let there be snow!

View Full Version : Let there be snow!

SwimGirl
11-27-2006, 02:07 AM
I just spent a few hours playing in the snow! It was so much fun! :)

For those of you that don't know.. Vancouver isn't known for it's snow, but we've got over 1 foot of snow outside right now! Infact, because I live part of the way up a mountain, our car is parked half way up along with a crowd of others.

I couldn't believe how much fun it was to run up the hill and come flying down.. nearly hitting a few cars along the way! The bf was documenting the whole experience with the digital cam, if I can ever figure out how to resize I will post them. Man you gotta burn a lot of calories with all of that, my legs are a little sore as I write all of this.

Anyways, I just had to share :) I am secretly hoping that I won't have to go to work tomorrow and can just play all day in the snow! :o heh.

-Aimee

srmb60
11-27-2006, 05:28 AM
Weather is weird! It's late November and I walked yesterday in just a jean jacket. Usually we've had a few blustery days by now.

melsfolly
11-27-2006, 05:49 AM
I hate snow - but I think it's because I don't see it that often and when I do I'm spending the time trying to drive in it (work, work and more work) and I don't get the chance to play in it.

It does sound fun and I bet you did burn a lot of calories!

glynne
11-27-2006, 07:37 AM
NOOOOOOOOOO ~ just kidding. :) Snow......I miss it and I don't. After living in Maine for 20 years and having to shovel and snowblow it ~ I don't miss all the work. Now here in North Carolina ~ we don't get much of it, and when we do, they don't have the equipment to clean it up like they do up north ~ so driving can sometimes be a nightmare. If only it could snow on the yard and not on the streets ~ LOL. It is beautiful to look at. And it sort of doesn't feel as Christmasy when there is no snow and it is 60 degrees outside.

ChocLabLover
11-27-2006, 08:10 AM
I saw all the pictures on the news Aimee. Yesterday it was a balmy +16, so I think the weather patterns have been reversed. I know we are supposed to get the cold weather and possible snow by the end of the week.

NavyWifeDee
11-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Oh how I miss actual seasons. I know, I know, it's great in many ways to be living in Key West where it is still a balmy 75 every day, and I can work out at 5am and not freeze. but then again, seasons are something i love, and each one for it's own reason, and we don't have any down here. It's just Key West season, lol. Enjoy your snow!

Dee

carolr3639
11-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Maybe this means my daughter in Portand got snow. She said something about it the other day. In WI we used to get loads of it but not anymore. I love it!

famograham
11-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Fun, huh Aimee?

We had a great day with the kids and doggies yesterday in the snow too :)

I'm keeping them home today too.

Did you end up staying home today?

:hug:
Linda

SwimGirl
11-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Today is a total snow day! I called my bf who was at work, he had to walk down to the car and get some help pushing it, and they decided to save some payroll and I get to stay home! Thank goodness, it's really icey and COLD!

I was watching the news and am jealous of all you Ontario people, while we aren't normally 16 degrees, I'd give anything for 7 and rain right now!

I do love snow, just NOT here! I grew up in colder places, and we were all prepared for snow, with snow tires, warmer clothes, all of that. People just can't drive in the snow here, partly because there really isn't a need for anything besides allseason tires. But most people feel the need to go out anyways, which leads to quite a few accidents.

-Aimee

carol2208
11-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Hi !
So did you enjoy another day of snow play today ? :)

I love the snow as well, and I think there is a special flavour, as we get no snow at all in Brazil, where I´ve lived for most of my life... I remember that when I lived in washington DC, the first big snow fall I got there I showed up 1 hour late for work, as on the way to the office I couldn´t keep myself from playing with the kids... my boss wasn´t so happy with me being late, but he couldn´t keep himself from laughing at the thought of a 22 year old in a suit playing in the streets with a bunch of kids...

And next week I´m on vacation, off the Val Thorens, a french ski resort... I can´t wait!!!!!:)

shrinkingchica
11-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Oh wow Aimee, what fun! :)

It was 65F here today, which was kinda nice, but I tell you, I am jealous! heehee. :p

Sheila53
11-27-2006, 09:41 PM
I heard on the news tonight that this great weather is coming to us courtesty of western Canada. So we sent you our Pineapple Express, and you return the favor with an arctic blast?!!? :D

I like looking at the stuff, but not driving in it, especially since I live on a big hill and I no longer get studded tires like I did when we lived in Boise and Colorado. People here don't know how to drive in snow because we get it so infrequently. So I'm hoping that it goes away real soon.

ScarlettDrawl
11-27-2006, 10:05 PM
I haven't been anywhere near snow in years. I bet that was fun. I'm just hoping our temps drop back below 70 deg F.

Lifeguard
11-27-2006, 10:58 PM
I love the first snow! I usually go for a nice long walk with the dog on that first warm snowy night!

But you guys on that end of the country definitely got hit before us this year! We are expecting +14 on Wednesday here in Ottawa!

SwimGirl
11-28-2006, 01:18 AM
Sheila - snow is definitely pretty to look at... and I totally agree about the driving thing. We are noticing that if we can just get home before 5pm we are good to go, after that... we are walking.

I sure hope it goes away soon, but unless we get some really good daytime highs with sun.. we've got until Monday before this stuff goes anywhere. Now if we can just get the city to plow some of these side streets! I sure do miss my heart surgeon neighbour, we always had clear streets until he moved!

-Aimee

famograham
11-28-2006, 02:42 PM
It's really icey and COLD!

People just can't drive in the snow here, partly because there really isn't a need for anything besides allseason tires. But most people feel the need to go out anyways, which leads to quite a few accidents.

Ain't that the TRUTH :yes:

I know that I avoid driving in it! Luckily school is closed today. I think my kids school is going to get miffed with me! I actually keep them home when they are sick and now this!!! They've both missed 5-7 days already this year.

My Mom and I were in a ice related accident when I was about 11, flipped end over end AND sideways and then landed facing the way we were coming from, about 20-30 feet from a 100 foot drop. We were very lucky no one was hurt, but it's kind of made me a scaredy cat.

We just end up spending days at home playing in it. Poor Rudy still has to go to work though.

Definitely and East/West mix up going on here!

Linda

Goddess Jessica
11-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Today it was a VERY cold 62 degrees. I had to wear a sweater!!!!

srmb60
11-29-2006, 06:14 AM
Jessica! You're a brat :devil:

I should have worn gloves when I went walking last night. I'm hearing on the news that our unseasonable weather is going to make a correction by Friday. Our happy little anomaly is over :(

SwimGirl
11-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Jessica - :P bad girl !

SusanB - it is wrong that I hope that warm weather can reverse itself and come towards me? heh.

We are supposed to be hit with another snow storm tonight, good thing I have tomorrow off :)

-Aimee

Momof2
11-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Im in calgary... We have snow lol.. Used to it too, BUT we have record lows for weather right now. its kinda sad and scary!

Im glad you had fun though. I love the snow!

NESunshine
11-29-2006, 01:14 PM
I MISS SNOW
and at least month appropriate weather! Its been as high as the 70s (F) in Boston in the past couple of weeks. People have been decorating for the holidays outside in t-shirts and walking around in flip flops and shorts. I feel like we haven't had a decent new england fall or winter in a couple of years now and I'm actually missing the cold and snow. Don't get me wrong I don't miss the bitter bitter cold or having to commute/drive in the weather but I miss my beauty of new england falls/early winters! Thats half the reason I still live here!
I suppose its scary....possibly the effects of global warming starting to show.

SwimGirl
11-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Here's my thoughts on global warming.. I totally believe we need to stop using the worlds resources and be more responsible. BUT! If this weather is so strange, why aren't we beating records by HUGE amounts? Vancouver used to get more snow, and be colder... so all this snow is just a return to normal.. not something thats never happened before. Just my thoughts..

-Aimee

tqvirgo
11-29-2006, 08:07 PM
That's a good point Aimee. I always wonder when they say this weather is so strange, but follow it with...this is the coldest it's been since 1862....so it was this cold back then....what's changed???
The person from Calgary did not whine NEARLY enough. I'm in Edmonton and we've had wind chills as cold as minus 42 celcius.....this has been going on for a few weeks now. I'm reading all these posts and feeling more and more sorry for us in ALberta.....it's cold and and we have snow banks that are 3 feet tall....IT"S ONLY NOVEMBER!!! We didn't even get fall...the trees are dropping their leaves on top of the snow....arghghhhh.
ahhhhh. Thanks for letting me vent. Those of you "wearing sweaters" to take a walk.....I'm not happy with you right now:D
ciao people
Tracy

Goddess Jessica
11-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Aimee, I really encourage you to see Inconvenient Truth. Global Warming is not a myth. The science on glacier melt alone will blow your mind. http://nsidc.org/data/glacier_photo/special_high_res.html

It's presented in an excellent, entertaining way.

lilybelle
12-01-2006, 02:04 AM
It is 18 degrees here with snow and ice everywhere. I love to look at it and hate driving in it. Schools are cancelled.

SwimGirl
12-01-2006, 02:46 AM
Jessica - I totally believe that Global Warming is a problem, I just don't see it as an explanation of why it's snowing here right now. I think that too many people are quick to explain away weather things with global warming, which discredits problems that really ARE caused by this issue.

On to a more superficial thing.. someone parked in MY SPOT! I spent over an hour shoveling and used MY salt , it's quite evident that someone cleared the spot. Yet my annoying neighbours totally took it! We had to park 1 block away because of this, not the hugest deal.. but when it's this icey? I don't want to slid on my butt down to my car. So annoyed with that guy!

-Aimee

PS - what do you think of the new avatar? My friend took this picture of me on my snowday on Monday!

famograham
12-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Aimee...SO CUTE! ;)

And NUTS to the nasty parking space stealer!!!! :mad:

Linda