WW Clubs and Groups - #172 Bale of Turtles Celebrating Life

Itryharder
11-23-2006, 10:03 AM
:carrot: :welcome3: We are the Turtle Group here at 3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on even when the odds are against us. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)

chrily
11-25-2006, 12:47 PM
I survived Thanksgiving and Black Friday. I got up at 3:30 and went all day and crashed last night about 10:30. I didn't get to my homework like I had planned. So today I'm trying to get it done and housework done but the girls just won't leave me alone. I find it hard to concentrate. Maybe I'll just have to try to read my history book and be done with it. We're down to the wire...I only have 2 more weeks of school left. Halleluah!!!!

Well back to finding out what the latest kiddie crisis is. Their rooms are disasters and they are fighting me every itch of the way because they don't want to....

chris

Princess1122
11-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Morning everyone! How was your holiday? Ours went really well and was very relaxing...

Went to W/I on Saturday morning and was very surprised to see that I was actually down .4 lbs... I was expecting a gain of some sort since I ate more salt then normal and even though I did not over eat on Thanksgiving I did eat things that I don't normally eat so I felt off track... if that makes sense but I was down a little and I will take it!

I have to run to a doctors appointment but will check back later on.

Itryharder
11-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Oh Princess,
You are really on a roll! Weigh to go! :goodscale:. I am going upstairs to weigh myself now. I did well for most of these past days, but yesterday I got anxious/emotional/worried and ate more than I should have.
Love,
Judy
Thanks for the inspiration

Princess1122
11-28-2006, 01:12 PM
I just wanted to pop in and see how everyone is doing.

Judy: How did your W/I go?

Ariana: how are you doing?

Chris:Good job on the shopping! I went out Friday morning also but did not do near as well as I did last year.

Bandit: How are you doing?

I have to run but will check back later on.
Susan

Itryharder
11-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Hi Turtles,
I am in a very good place. By shopping like crazy on a few days in November and putting my thanksgiving feast preparations in focus, I have accomplished a lot. It makes me feel great. No, I haven't made pj's for anyone, but now I think I might be able to start on a Christmas afghan quilt. I'll see. I have the fabric and need to consider if I have the time to get the stuff out and start the project. It's also a great project for post-Christmas January. Hmmm. I'll think about it. In the meantime, I'm fine. I am on track. My tracker is going up so that when I go off Core, I can track my points and stay OP. Very important. My WI was very successful for me! I only gained .6# this week. I know I can knock that off. My goal for this week is to lose 1.6#. I know I can do that if I'm vigilant. Yay! :cheer:

The way I will do that is to plan and prepare, have plenty of water drinks, and exercise a tiny bit each day. Anybody want to set up a Christmas challenge.

Here goes:
My Christmas Challenge:
By Christmas I will have lost 3# and exercised at least 2X a week.

Good luck everybody.
Princess, again--fabulous :cp:
Chrily, school's almost over for this semester--think of how bright your future will be with a degree!:idea:
Ariana--how are you? :tread:
Bandit--hope all goes well! :cheer:
Judy :cool:

Princess1122
11-29-2006, 02:24 PM
I will post a Christmas Challange although I normally don't do very well but I will give it my best shot...

I would like to lose a pound a week by Christmas so I guess that would be 4 #'s as of the 23rd which is my last W/I before Christmas day.

Great idea Judy! And you did great by the way! .6 is great for a holiday week!

Susan

Ariana2000
11-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Ladies: Good afternoon. Sorry that I have been incognito. I was on vacation from Tuesday afternoon until Sunday, and then I spent Monday and Tuesday catching up like crazy at work. Unfortunately, my body picked this week to get sick -- I was sick from Tuesday to Monday, but I'm almost fully recovered now. I've been told you're not supposed to work out when you're sick, and I didn't really have the energy. Add to that, I was feeling sick the week before, when I first got back from Colorado (due to the environment change), so I'm not even stepping on the scale this week. At all. I managed to walk for 30 minutes on the treadmill last night, so that's a start, and I'm going to do 30 minutes on the Precor today (harder), then an hour on the Precor, maybe take a class Friday. By Monday I should be back to normal, and I'll weigh in again next Wednesday. I know that these are extroardinary circumstances -- basically being sick two weeks in a row -- but I don't want to get disheartened. On the food front, I didn't pay too much attention to points, but I didn't eat as much as I did last year when I went home for Thanksgiving, and I had a good breakfast each morning. We'll see what next week brings. Starting next week, when I should be fully well again, I'm going to try doing spinning T/Th and a weight lifting class M/W. I did the weight training class when I was in Colorado, and it's good exercise, and a change from using the machines, and spinning, well, spinning is tough, but I'm going to try, and if I can only do 30 minutes at first, and I have to build up to an hour, that's fine too. The spinning teacher at Bally's has lost 10 dress sizes (from a 22 to a 12, or a 20 to a 10, something like that.)

It was at least nice to see my family and my best friend. :D I'm glad to hear that everyone's thanksgiving went well. I'll try to be more regular in my postings -- I'm not leaving town again until the Thursday before Christmas.

Chrily: Noticing when you overeat, and figuring out why is very important. I would tell you, don't eat more so that you won't be hungry later. Eat just enough to feel full and stop. The food will be there later! And if you find yourself out and about, and you get hungry often, start bringing a piece of fruit with you, or a "sawdust bar" as I call them -- All Bran bars -- not very tasty, but I believe they're only 1.5 points or something like that, and they are very filling. Oh, and yes, I'm making PJ's for my Mom. Re Black Friday -- crazy! I finished my shopping that day (and then remembered I had forgotten someone, so I finished it again last night. :D) but I shopped only from the comfort of my home. Maybe next year I'll go black friday shopping. It's just so crazy. Sorry you are having trouble with the kids.

Susan: Thank you -- I am sure Mom will love them too, especially since she has a pair made from the same fabric that I shrunk out of (that's the opposite of grew out of :D) and she loves them. Wait -- warming up to the 50's? :o It's been in the 70's here, maybe warmer for ages. Congrats on the WL! Good luck on your challenge.

Judy: congrats on the WL! Oh, that's definitely one of the two main reasons I sew -- to reduce my stress, and because I enjoy it. Just start doing it to reduce your stress in general, and especially when you feel tempted to stress-eat, and it will become a habit, and in time, your body will even crave the relaxation it gets that way, and it will be MUCH easier to turn down the goodies you would have eaten instead. I actually find myself craving an afternoon of sewing, instead of junk food (okay, when it gets really bad I still crave junk food, but only when it's really bad, and no one's perfect.) Hmm. What do you mean, your tracker is up? <puzzled> .6 is not bad at all for Thanksgiving week.

Anyway, back to work, ladies.

Itryharder
11-29-2006, 06:57 PM
-Hi Ariana,
Glad you had a chance to post. Sorry about the sick two weeks--not fun, but you've got it all together. Way to go! What I meant about my tracker is up is that I put the paper that I get from WW's each week on my fridge. It helps me keep "track" of the points I use throughout the week that depart from the list of Core foods that I intake. So, if I have a slice of one point bread as part of my breakfast, I'll cross out one point on my "tracker". When I use up 35 of them, that's it--no more points available until the next WI.

Princess1122
11-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Oh my goodness can you say gloomy? It is so gloomy here today it is just one of those ideal days to stay home, rent movies and eat popcorn! But you know there is that little thing called the paycheck that keeps me coming in even on gloomy, rainy days like today. I really need to work on hitting the lottery :D

How is everyone doing today?

Ariana: Glad to hear you and finally feeling better.. being that sick for so long is just crummy!

Judy: You are doing so great! I know you will just sail thru the holidays!

Chris: How are you doing?

Bandit: What is new with you?

Have to run,
Susan

Ariana2000
11-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Ladies: Good afternoon. Nothing to report, really. I skipped my WI, I'll start up again next week. Tonight, I'm going to do all of the house chores I have left, so that tomorrow I can just work out, get some take out and make it an early night. I'm still kind of worn out after being sick, but I did at least make it to the gym 3x this week. :D

BTW, if anyone bought the WW magazine this month and was thinking about making the 3-in-1 (make oen recipe, use part of that for the next two recipes) meatloaf/stroganoff/mediterranean potato pie recipe, the potato pie recipe is LOUSY. I'm eating it now. Blech. <snerk> Just issuing a general warning.

Anyway, any plans for the weekend? This weekend, I've organized a group of 11 to pool our cash and get angels from the Salvation Army Angel Tree, and buy presents with our cash. Saturday night, I'm going to a friend's house to watch two Monty Python movies, and I'm going to breakfast with a friend Sunday, then we'll play games for a while afterwards (Rummykub -- I'm addicted.) What do you ladies have planned?

Judy: Thanks. I appreciate the sympathy. RE the tracker: Oh! That makes more sense. :D

Susan: LOL! I know what you mean. Yesterday, for the first time in ages, it was sharply, bitterly cold -- or at least, the AZ version of sharply, bitterly cold -- it's 46 degrees here. I heard it's 0 degrees in Colorado, so I shouldn't complain, but I'm not used to it. All the same, it would be great to be home, in my PJ's, quilting and watching X-files. :D Thanks for the sympathy -- I know, my timing is abysmal. Let's just hope that I'm okay during Christmas.

Alright, back to work. Have a good day, all!

Itryharder
12-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Dear Bale of Turtles,
Well, all goes well here. Went to book club yesterday and then to dd's last night. Had pizza--pointed out--and for lunch I stayed on Core except for a tiny bit of dressing with my fish and I have pointed that out. /Wec checked out our big Christmas Tree in a plaza on LI in NY, but although the tree was up, it hasn't been "officially lighted", so we weren't able to get close. We'll try again. No plans for the weekend, but I'm sure that will change soon!
Ariana, I love your plans with your friends and the angels. What a wonderful giving idea. Good for you.
Gotta run to the dentist. just wanted to keep in touch as we go into the weekend.
Everyone: drink lots of water, exercise, and eat right. It's worth it and we're worth it!

Princess1122
12-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Friday is here! My favorite day of the work week :D

Ariana: I sure hope you get to feeling better. 46 is pretty cold for your neck of the woods! I hope it warms up a bit for you!

Judy: So do you live in NY-city? That must be really nice to be able to see the tree up close so I hope you get to view it soon.

Chris: Are you getting the snow, sleet and high winds up your way? We sure are here... it has finally hit the freezing mark so I guess this rain will be changing over to snow really soon... Peachy! always makes for a wonderful trip home in Friday rush hour :dizzy:

Bandit: What have you been up to lately?

Well I went back to the dentist this morning to have the temp filling taken out and a perm one put back in... now my mouth hurts again so that is not good but I am just ready to get this all behind me and enjoy the upcoming holiday season.

I have to run errands on my lunch break so I had better get off of here but take care everyone!

Susan

chrily
12-01-2006, 11:30 AM
You all must think I'm abandoning you girls. Just been so stinkin busy. I went out last friday and joined all the other crazy ladies at 4 am. NUTS! I only managed to get my girls bought for. Usually I only get them half done so I felt good about that. The rest of the family is hard because I never know what to buy....

Anyhow...Susan we are coming out of the "deep freeze". We were below zero for a few days and talk about not being ready for winter. Today its above zero but still have white stuff on the ground. I like the winter, just not the cold part of it.

I'm working on me a bit. I actually walked on the treadmill 2 times in the last 3 days. Trying to not overstuff. My jeans are tight and I'm miserable. I let it get too out of control. Now I have to do damage control...again.

What's on for the weekend? My usual here. Homework, basketball games (thank GOd this is the last week for that). I have finals next week and the following week and then I AM DONE with school for a month. Gotta like that. I won't know what to do with myself. I take that back..yes I do. I'll work on me! :)

Still have to squeeze in time to try to make some jammie bottoms for the girls, and a tote bag for my sis in law in time for Xmas. I better get busy.

Off to the races. Gotta go to the bank and then go shopping for myself. I dread buying jeans. I didn't want to because I see it as a waste of money but mine are too worn out. But hubby, bless him, said go buy the pants, "so what if you haven't lost the weight yet. You get skinny..just sell them later. I'ts not a waste to feel better about how you look. " He drives me nuts some days but he makes more sense than me sometimes.

Ariana2000
12-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Ladies:

Good afternoon. I'm done with my Christmas shopping (did I mention that? :D) And I only have one present to mail, and a few cards to do. I did my house chores last night, and my kitchen is clean, the apartment is neat...I just have to do ironing and paperwork tomorrow (and perhaps tonight, we'll see.) Then you know about my plans Saturday. My jeans are uncomfortably tight today, so I hope I haven't gained a significant amount of weight -- I think I just shrank the d*mn things, since everything else fits fine and I've been so monstrously hungry the last few days. We'll see Wednesday. There are bound to be some side effects from being sick and not being able to work out for two weeks...I'm just hoping I can lose whatever I've gained before my next WI. We'll see. Anyway, nothing else is new. Have a great weekend!

Judy: Glad that you are keeping such close track of your points items. I may have to try core to shake things up as I get close to goal -- I'm 2/3rds of the way there, and I have a feeling that I will need to shake things up again, and change my strategy before I get there. If I do go core, I will need your reccomendations, and I'll keep all of your tips so far in mind. ;D Re Angel Trees: Thank you! I've done it once before, when I was a teenager (my sister and I put together our Christmas money for each other and bought gifts for the kids instead), but I'm looking forward to doing it again. I have a feeling that it may become an annual tradition. :D Have a good weekend, and thank you for touching base! :D

Susan: I am feeling much better actually. Almost completely well. It lasted for more than a week, but it's almost gone now. Re the weather: I actually *like* it this way. I've lived in AZ since I was 4 -- 23 years now -- and the heat is such a constant that I relish the change of the cold weather. We actually had a freeze last night, that's unusual, and my neighbors, who moved here from Vermont in August are saying they want a refund. :D But I like it -- I wouldn't want it all the time -- but it's a nice change. Sorry you're not feeling well. ;(

Chris: No, we know you're busy. Just try and touch base once a day, 15 minutes...I find that it helps. Congrats on getting on the treadmill 2x! Yes, you could spend the extra time working on you.

Itryharder
12-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Chris,
We're always glad to hear from you. We know you haven't abandoned your Turtle Buddies! :cheer: School's almost out and you'll feel free.

Princess,
Looks like you and I are keeping the dentists busy. How are you feeling now?
Pain gone and back to normal, I hope!
I live about 30 miles from NYC on Long Island. Long Island is a really cool place to live. It's pretty flat and we have an ocean to the south of us and the sound to the north which connects us to Connecticut. I'm pretty much in the middle and have a swimming pool in my backyard. LOL! I grew up here and returned once I finished college to work, meet my dh, and have my dfamily. Love it here! We have a "coliseum" where sports events take place and ice skating shows, and concerts. Near the coliseum is a huge tree and that's the one I was talking about. Although I love NYC, I get there seldom because of the crowds, so I do most things right here on LI. We have great restaurants and a strong WW organization which was just sold to WW International. Okay=-nuff about me.
Yesterday food wise was great. I headed to the dentist to have her replace a filling I had cracked and since I neeeeeeeed novacaine, I couldn't eat for a bit. Had Core foods yesterday. DD and Dsil and Dgrandbaby stopped in for dinner which they picked up at Panera's. I had a garden soup (two servings)
which didn't need to be pointed out because the "potato and macaroni" were so miniscule I didn't count more than 5 tiny pieces. Yay! Enabled me to have some delicious sourdough bread dunked in the soup to soften it up. Pointed that out. Ate great yesterday. I am looking for a good weekend--no plans--will put a chicken dish in crockpot tomorrow in case dd and family come out and that will keep me Core. Am looking forward to a good WI. My ds let me know his plans for Christmas and now everyone can make plans. Instead of trying to rush everything and head out next weekend, he prefers to take a couple of days off and come for the New Year. I think this is definitely a plan we can all live with and I can't wait.

Ariana,
:cheer: :cp: :cp: :dancer: Okay, you travel, work long hours, get to the gym, and sew for recreation and you have finished your Christmas shopping?
Wow!!!!! You are amazing. Good for you. I've got a really good run on Christmas shopping as well since the thoughts of preparing for Christmas last year almost did me in! Last year December was the pits--if you remember, I got locked in a car wash, don't ask!, fell down the last two steps of my stairs and ended up at a podiatrist, and rushed around like a maniac buying all the presents for my family and friends. My dh and dd used to do the bulk of this while I was working, but since the grandbaby arrived, all routines are kaput!
He's well worth it, trust me, but I ended up doing an enormous amount of work. I also did Halloween party, Thanksgiving, and two Christmas weekends because DS and his family aren't here on Christmas day. To top it all off, my two dd's and baby stayed for 11 days. Egads! I don't know how I survived.
But I do know that I strayed from my goal of onederland and haven't gotten near there since. So what I just discovered in writing this is that I have to put more effort into my weight loss and don't just skim by with maintaining.
Good for me! I pushed myself this November to get most of my shopping done and wrapped and now I can look at December with reasonable expectations.

Okay--sorry I'm so long-winded today.
Bandit, how are you? Do you still do Curves?
Mousie, come back if you can.
Good luck to us all this weekend.

Ariana2000
12-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Hello Ladies! I'm checking in very briefly on the weekend because I have been sorting through a pile of paperwork, and I found a sticky reminding me to post this recipe for everyone once I had the point counts.

The Points: I calculated the points here myself, using a combination of nutrition facts on the backs of containers and the point estimates in the WW food guide book. If you divide this into four servings (four hearty servings!), it's 7 points a serving. If you halve the olive oil, it goes down to 5.5 points a serving. I have a specific small container that I use to store my lunches, and I found myself dividing the soup into even smaller portions because that was all that would fit into my lunch containers; if you run into a similar problem, just divde 28 by the number of servings you end up with, if you make a single batch, or 56 by the number of servings you end up with, if you make a double batch, to get your point values. Because of my small lunch containers, I actually ended up with 3 point servings, so I added a slice of cheese to bring it up to 5 (3 points is too lean for a lunch, IMHO.) This recipe goes very well with grated cheddar cheese, but remember to add the points; it is also excellent by itself.

Introduction to My Favorite Stew :D This is one of my all-time favorite recipes, and it freezes excellently, and it tastes even before after it has had a day in the fridge for the flavors to meld, but it is also EXCELLENT fresh. I usually double this and make a huge batch, but if you double it, I would suggest only using 1.5x the normal amount of broth, not 2x the normal amount -- it's too watery that way.

And Now, Drum Roll...The Recipe!

Mexican vegetable stew
Yield: 4 Servings at 7 points each (5.5 points each if you halve the olive oil)

cup Olive oil

4 garlic cloves, minced (I use minced garlic from a jar; find it in your produce section if you don't already have some at home)

2 large Onions, diced (I guesstimate the amount using frozen onions, much easier)

1 teaspoon ground Cumin

28 ounce plum tomatoes w/juice (any kind of roughly chopped tomatoes will do)

8 cups Vegetable stock (don't use chicken broth, it doesn't taste as good)

teaspoon Salt (I leave this out, because canned goods contain salt)

2 Carrots, thinly sliced (I guesstimate with baby carrots, chopped in half, or left whole)

3 medium Zucchini, sliced

15 ounces canned Kidney beans

2 cups fresh or frozen Corn kernals

(Grated Cheddar Cheese and Corn Chips are optional.)

In a 6 to 8-quart pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the garlic, onions, and cumin 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the tomatoes (roughly chopped) with their juice, the vegetable stock, salt and pepper; bring the mixture to a boil. Add the carrots and cook 15 minutes, then add the zucchini and cook 5 to 10 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender, not mushy. Add the kidney beans and corn and cook 2 minutes. Remove 2 cups of the stew, puree it in the blender or food processor, then return it to the pot. This will nicely thicken the stew. Tast to adjust the seasoning.

For additional points: If desired, sprinkle on grated cheddar cheese and break a few corn chips over each serving.

Itryharder
12-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Dear Ariana,
thanks for posting this fabulous stew. :chef: Just a thought, without the chips and cheese (I'd need to use ff cheese) the stew is completely Core. Thought you'd like to know. I am going to make this ASAP to have on hand for lunches and a quick supper.
Judy

Princess1122
12-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Well it is just too cold here! A whopping 12 degrees and my little space heater that I use at my desk is working overtime to keep up! I pray that it makes it thru another year since I run it all year round. I work with all men and in the summer they keep the air conditioner set very cold and in the winter it is also set to very cold! I wear at least 3-4 layers of clothing on any given day in the winter! I gave up whining about it years ago because again since I work with all men they don't pay attention to me anyway! :frypan: :D

Ariana: Thanks for the recipe! I am always on the look out for new soup and stew recipes this time of year. I have a question though... I am trying to figure out what makes the points so high since the only thing that is not a free veggie is the corn and the beans and also the olive oil... or do you count points for everything, even the "free" veggies? I know a lot of people do at my WW meeting but I am too stingy to :D

Judy: You have been thru a lot!!! oh my goodness! I hope you are better from your trip to the dentist... mine went way better this time around!

Chris: Below zero?!?!?! Wow, and I think that my 12 degrees is very cold... you must be a very hardy person... Were you born there?

Have a happy day all!
Susan

Princess1122
12-04-2006, 09:46 AM
Oh yeah, I maintained this week... did not go up or down... just stayed the same. I think it was the holiday catching up with me.

Susan

Ariana2000
12-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Ladies: I had an okay weekend, but I wish it had been longer. I'm exhausted today, but my sewing machine needs work, so there's no point in staying home, I'd just sit there and twiddle my thumbs. So here I am at work. Well, at least we improved the Christmas of a great many children this weekend; when we pooled together our funds, we had $220, and we were able to buy 8 or 9 toys and 8 or 9 pieces of clothing for children in need. ;D My sewing machine broke last night at about 6:30. How was your weekend, ladies?

Judy: Me? Amazing? Why thank you! <blush> I try. :D :D :D Re the Crazy Holiday Season: Try not to over-extend yourself; you don't have to be all things to all people; it's okay to say no sometime! I'm sorry last year was so lousy; hopefully this season is already better. Re Staying Away from Onederland: Sometimes, in expressing your frustrations with not meeting your goals, or even just writing about your goals, that you find renewed enthusiasm and dedication, and it becomes easier to recognize and tackle the things that have been getting in your way. Don't worry about being "long-winded"; I frequently have a lot to say too, and no one minds, right, turtles? Re the Soup: I'm glad it's core; I didn't realize. I frequently eat it without the chips and the cheese, it's quite tasty either way.

Princess: I'm sorry that your office is so cold! We actually have the opposite problem; it's quite frequently uncomfortably warm here. Re the recipe: I think I did this on the WW recipe calculator ages ago, but I'm having trouble coming up with more than 5 points, so I'm not sure...guess I'll have to recalculate.

14 -- 1/4 cup of olive oil is a whopping 14 points
4 -- Corn
2 -- Kidney Beans
0 -- Broth
0 -- Garlic Cloves
0 -- Onions
0 -- Cumin
0 -- tomatoes
0 -- Carrots
0 -- Zucchini

Hmm. That only adds up to 20 points, or 5 per serving. I did calculate this, but it was a long time ago...I might have used the WW online recipe calculator... <shrug> Sorry it looks like like my recipe is only 5 points per serving.

bandit2
12-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Hi Turtles:

Well, I'm back from Vegas & had a great time. Weather wasn't really hot but enjoyable for getting around. Won some - gave it back. Up & down. Seen some nice shows & really had a nice time.

Had a w/i on Sat & with missing almost 2 weeks was down .4# - so couldn't complain about that.

Anyway, hope you are all well & keep up the good work.

Bye for now!

Princess1122
12-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Judy: Long winded is never a bad thing here, never, Ariana is 100% right about that and she gives awesome advise also. You sound like a person that loves to please and make things special and easy for everyone. I understand that, I think that most of us do and that may be why we are in our present situtation. We tend to put everyone else first and ourselves last... You are special and deserve some good things for you, so don't stress and enjoy instead... have some Judy time, what ever that may be but enjoy all the same and you will do great thru the holidays.

Ariana: Wow, who knew Olive Oil was so "pointy"?!?!? I only use a dash every now and then but oh my goodness... Thanks for the breakdown, it makes everything clear and I am going to make the recipe this weekend but cut down on the OO and see what happens. Funny how things are extreme no matter where we are or what we do... you roast at work and I freeze... My doctor tells me all the time that I can not possibly be going thru menopause yet since I don't get hot flashes or night sweats... I just laugh at her and tell her that to me just not freezing to death on any given day is a hot flash :D But she holds to her belief and I hold to mine, I am certain that I am in the early stages and I can show at least 3/4 of the symtoms. Oh well! So sorry to hear about your sewing machine! That has to be very hard for you, will you be able to get it fixed soon?

Chris: How is everything going for you? Are you ready for finals yet? I remember what that is like, I just finished my degree in 2005 and I was soooo glad when I did not have tests or homework to worry about anymore. Working full time and taking care of a family and going to school full time for 4 years just about knocked me on my butt.

Bandit: I have never been to LV but I would like to go for a long weekend sometime. I am not a gambler but I am sure that I could find other things to do.

Have a happy day all!

Susan

Princess1122
12-05-2006, 09:49 AM
I found this recipe and made it this past weekend, we loved it so I thought I would share:

Potato soup recipe:

1 16 ounce sack frozen O'brien hash browns - I used the shreaded regular hash browns as my family does not like the green peppers in the "O'brien style"
3 cans chicken broth
1 package Williams Fat Free Country gravy mix - I used McCormick's since we did not have "Williams" brand here.

Simmer potatoes in 2 cans of broth until done.

Mix one can of broth with gravy mix & bring to a boil stirring constantly. Combine potatoes & gravy mix, heat until warmed thru.

1 Cup=1 point

*** I added one can of Campbell's chedder cheese soup also and I think I figured that it would take a serving to 1.5 or 2 points but it was worth it!
This soup was awesome and my whole family liked it.

Ariana2000
12-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Ladies: Good afternoon. It sounds like everyone is doing pretty well! :D Today is much better than yesterday, I don't feel so exhausted. Also, the bugs (database bugs, not real bugs) are being cleared up faster than expected, which is excellent; we never have enough time to do everything that needs to be done here! I did a weight lifting class last night, and was able to use 5 pounds on my bar, which is great for me. Tonight, I'm doing spinning for the first time in years (I've only tried it once before, before I started working out regularly.) So we'll see how that goes; it's a difficult workout, but it's time for a change. If that doesn't workout, I may go with step instead. We'll see. Anyway, I was thinking about all of the sales during the holiday, and drooling over all of the pretty (but very expensive) bras at Victoria's Secret, and I was also thinking about some intermediate goals that some of the turtles have set, and I've decided I need a new goal. Now, I've lost about 25 pounds since the spring, around April, which is about 3 pounds a month on average -- there have been whole months of maintenance -- but on average, I've lost 3 pounds a month. I only have 26 pounds left until goal, and I promised myself that I would replace my entire bra wardrobe when I get down to goal. Now, Victoria's Secret has two big sales a year; one in early January, and one in the summer. I really, REALLY like their bras (I used to work there; becoming addictedt to their stuff is a workplace hazard). But they're SO expensive. So, if I can get to goal by, say, December of 2007, then I can justify buying an entire new bra wardrobe when the bras go on sale in January. And since I would have to lose 2.3 pounds a month, starting in January to accomplish that goal, and I've lost an average of 3 pounds a month so far, I believe it's a goal I can achieve. So, that's my new and exciting plan; I will be at goal by December 1st of 2007. I made a new tracker to cement the decision. Wish me luck, ladies! ;D

Bandit -- welcome back! ;D :D :D Congrats on the WL, after two weeks of not weighing in AND going on a trip, that is fab! ;D

Princess: You think I give good advice? Why thank you! :D Because of my personality, I'm bound to put it out there, but it's good to hear that you think I'm on the right track. And you are right; personal time is very important. Yeah, oil is general is quite high in points -- 1 pt per *teaspoon* for most oils. But you don't need all that much. I'm glad that you questioned my total, because I never would have known it was really 5 points, not 7. That means that, when I get down to the next points bracket (Once I lose another 6 pounds I'll be down to 20 points a day + flex points), I can cut the OO in half and make it a 3.5 point dish, which would work better on my low point days. If you make it that way and you have more points, you can always add some cheese or baked tortilla chips, if you point them out. Re temperatures: Yeah, there doesn't seem to *be* a middle ground. Right now I'm too warm in my office. <sigh> Hmm. Sometimes people know more about their body than doctors do, and it's not necessarily wrong to argue with your doctor. Yeah, the broken machine part sucks, but hopefully he will be able to fix it by the weekend. If not, I do have a backup machine...technically...it's a Brother machine. But, the thing is, I tried to plug it in, and the plug wouldn't go. I took it to the repair guy with the other machine, my primary machine, a sturdy, 10+ year old Singer -- it genuinely needed to be repaired. But when the repair guy plugged in the brother machine, he had no trouble. I felt like an idiot. He explained 3 or 4 times that the outlet had to have a flared side and a non-flared side to match the plug, and I know that, I'm not stupid, and I tried several outlets and it didn't work. So I'll try an extension cord, maybe there's something wrong with the outlets I was trying; but I did check that they were the right type first!!!! :( Hmm, that recipe sounds tasty! Thank you! If you have any tried-and-true low or reasonably pointed recipes, pass them on! :D

Back to work now...take care, all!

Princess1122
12-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Morning everyone! Well it is a bit warmer here this morning... but a cold front is moving in today so they are saying that tomorrow is going to be very pleasurable if you are a snowman :s: Snow would be fun since we are going to get our tree this weekend and decorate the house for the holidays. I don't really mind winter as much as it sounds like I do... I am just cold all the time so it gets frustrating. I am hoping a trip to my family doctor and me insisting on some blood work will help clear things up a bit.

I have a Christmas party to go to tonight for my monthly book club... it sounds like there is going to be all kinds of high point foods there so I may have a turkey sandwich or something small at home before I go. I have two items made but both of them are kind of high in points also. I just have not felt really well this week so I did not do my normal plan ahead kind of stuff. My over all plan is to go and leave early with the excuse that I just don't feel very well. I think that will be my best option.

Hope all is well with everyone. I will pop back later on and see how everyone is doing.

Susan

Itryharder
12-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Dear Turtles,
I am on the run to my WW WI, but I'll try to get to chime in here.

Ariana,
congrats on being a Christmas ANgel. You and your friends have done a wonderful thing. I am sorry about your sewing machine and hope it is being fixed as we speak. I am so thrilled that you have set another goal for yourself with the Victoria Secret lingerie! Yay! You are doing wonderfully well with your weight loss. Weigh to go! :cheer:

Bandit,
I am so happy for you that you went to Vegas, had fun, and actually lost weight. That means to me that you have made making good choices a habit that you practice! Weigh to go! :goodscale:

Princess,
thanks for the reminder of treating myself well. Sometimes I feel overburdened and get cranky. I don't want to be that way, so I have to rethink what I am doing and pamper myself a bit and get back on the right track. Thanks for the potato soup recipe. It sounds yummy. By the way, I agree with Ariana. You know you're in menopause. Sounds like you may never have hot flashes working in a refrigerator the way you do! LOL. In any case, I believe we know what our bodies are doing and sometimes docs are a little obtuse if we don't fit the norm. Hey, I didn't know you were in a book club. :idea: What are the favorite titles you've read this year? My favorite was Glass Castle by Jeannette Wall. I also liked Angry Housewives Eating Bon bons. Have you read them?

Chris, I'm sending you good wishes to get through your schoolwork and enjoy your holiday. :grouphug:

chrily
12-06-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm not celebrating much anymore. I am up to 214 and panicked, depressed, and crying. What is going on???? It just keeps getting worse and worse and I don't know why I can't pull myself up and do better. I feel like I'm letting myself down and my whole family. I wish I had someone to go through this with who lived in my town. I can't afford to do any WW meetings and I think I would be too embarrassed and shy to even try to meet other people. I've never been an extroverted person. I'd rather hole up and be alone most of the time. I need to get a menu that I can follow, word for word, food for food. Get an exercise plan that I can do and do every day. I just haven't got enough time to sit down and write it all out and get it ready. The pounds just keep creeping on faster and faster. I saw a pic of me the other day my hubby took and my face is so bloated and fat. It doesn't look like me staring back from the paper. My jeans are getting tighter, I have only 3 shirts that fit now, and my joints are aching more. I know its time. I don't know what to do. I just feel numb.

1. Does anyone have an eating plan that they have actually written down that I could follow?????
2. Exercise Plan?????

Itryharder
12-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Hi Turtles,
Well, my WI was a success of sorts since in the middle of the week I was eating Core foods-but in much too much volume. So Monday and Tuesday I ate "unit" foods and undid the damage. Yay! On the scale I lost .2# and I'll take that and run.

Chrily,
I understand not being able to afford WW's right now. And I think Core is easier to follow than Flex since you don't want to have to analyze what you're eating. In Core, you eat from a list of given foods. Anything off the list you have to count in from the 35 points that you are given weekly. The best advice I can think of right now is to join WW's with the intention that you won't be able to get back to mtgs because of the expense. At joining you will get the materials you need to follow their plan. Once you have those, we can act as your online mtg. friends.

As far as exercise, make it part of your routine. Nothing fancy--a 20-30 minute walk three times a week. You can do this, don't despair, the first thing to do is to stop the emotional eating so you don't gain anymore. Hope this is some help.
Love.,
Judy

Princess1122
12-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Hey Chris: Been there and done that is all I can say... most of my life actually. I will tell you this... it is truly a mind set and a level of determination that is allowing me to get further on this weight loss journey then any other I have been on. I have tried to make it fun this time around and I have also not listened to anyone other then WW people... everyone else will try and give you advise or talk you out of things or into things... I only listen to my WW leader and those that are on the plan. Ok, that being said, here is what I normally eat in a day.

B) One package plain instant oatmeal with one cup of berries (frozen ones this time of year) and a dash or two of cinnamon and a couple splenda packets... I lower the amount of water that the oatmeal calls for because the berries turn to liquid once they are microwaved so instead of 2/3 cup I use about a half a cup of water... microwave and throw on another splenda packet if needed...
One 1 point english muffin or one point worth of toast... with a few sprays of margarine
Coffee with 1% milk
B) = approx 5 points

S) WW yogurt with about a 1/4 cup of fiber one cereal stirred in 1.5 points

L) A salad with 1 pt dressing
A turkey sandwich or a PB&J sandwich - usually 2 - 4 points depending on which I choose.
A piece of fruit - 1pt
A serving of FF Pringles - 1 pt
L) = approx 5-7 points but you could lower this way down if you wanted to make up a batch of the zero point veggie soup and use that instead of a sandwich.

S) WW yogurt and fiber one again - 1.5 points

D) Normally some kind of protein, worth no more then 6 points and that is pushing it depending on my lunch.
A baked potato, I find them to be very filling, I wash a potato, poke it a couple of times with a fork, rub some sea salt on it and bake it at 400 for an hour, awesome potato! Spray some margarine and use some low fat sour cream if you like.3-4 pts depending on what you add and how big the potato is.
A vegtable or two depending on how hungry I am - 0 pts
D) = approx 9-10 pts

S) normally I have a bowl of low point cereal, a snack size bag of popcorn or a small bowl of FF SF pudding. 1-2 pts

This is what works for me and I also drink enough water in a day to float a boat on... no kidding, I drink approx 2 gallons a day.

Princess1122
12-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Chris: I should also explain that I normally spread my 35 flex points out over the week. I don't use them all at one time or I would starve for the rest of the week. I get 24 points a day so I normally will use a few extra from my flex if I have a higher point supper or lunch.

I agree with Judy, as soon as you can afford it go and join up. The meetings and W/I's are painless. You get a ton of information in them and you will see that you are not alone, not by a long shot. You can be by yourself or talk to other people, that is your choice. But join as soon as you can. They run specials and have coupons all the time so I would search and see what kind of deal you can find. Right now it only costs like 20.00 to join at the one I go to and then 13.00 each week after that but they are going to be running a special starting next week that is even cheaper... like 9.50 per week and that includes a free membership to the online etools which I hear are wonderful.

Susan

Princess1122
12-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Morning everyone. How is everyone doing today?

Judy: Yup, I joined a mystery book club about 5-6 months ago that meets at one of the Barnes and Noble's here in Indy. They are not sponsored by B&N we just meet there. But the meeting in December is a party meeting and there was food and everyone brings a gently used wrapped mystery book to have a gift swap with. It was fun and I kept my eating in check for the most part but it was very hard... One of the guys makes hand made chocolates and I just about fell over when I saw them. I ate the veggies and bean dip with one slice of ham and one cracker and I did have two pieces of the chocolate but that was it. I felt pretty good about my decisions considering what food was there.
I love to read but I have not read the two books you mentioned yet, I will have to look for them the next time I am at the book store or library. I read all kinds of books with the exception of horror novels... I don't do horror in any form, books or movies. But I read just about anything else.

All: Is everyone ready for the holidays?

Susan

Ariana2000
12-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Ladies: Good afternoon! How is everyone? I'm feeling especially chipper because I lost 1 pound at WI, after a week of feeling unwell after coming home from CO, then the following week I was actually sick; I hadn't weighed myself in two weeks, but as soon as I well enough, I worked my way up to a normal workout load, and I lost weight! I was really worried that I'd gained weight, that I'd no longer lost 50 pounds, but I actually lost, so I am quite tickled. :D I did spinning for the first time Tuesday night, and I made it through an entire class, cool, huh? :D It was really hard, and I didn't up the resistance when she said to, I just focused on getting through the class -- but I'm going to keep doing it. I think it's good cardio, and it seems to be helping. So, does anyone have any fun weekend plans? I'm going to do spinning again Friday night with a friend, and then we're going to clean up and then go out to dinner together. Saturday night I'm organizing an event for my social group where we go to a local mexican food restaurant and then walk to Winterhaven, a neighborhood here in Tucson where everyone decorates their houses, and goes all out. It'll be a blast.

BTW: I am very happy to report that my sewing machine will be fixed and ready for pickup after 2 pm today, so I will be happily sewing again on Sunday! ;D

Princess: It sounds like you did well at your party. Congrats! :D Also, I think you have some very good advice for Chrily. (FYI -- Laurie R. King's "The Beekeeper's Apprentice" is a great mystery, more character-based than a standard potboiler, but excellent -- it's about a retired Sherlock Holmes who takes on a female apprentice.)

Judy: Thank you! It felt great to help out kids and do one of my favorite things too -- buy presents! ;D I think I was able to bring together people who otherwise might not have bought gifts for a christmas angel, and allowed them to pool their resources and do good together. Thank you for your sewing-machine-sympathy -- it's my biggest stress reliever next to working out, and I am relieved that it will be fixed by the end of today. Thank you for all your WL support. I am excited and very optomistic. ;D BTW, what do you mean by unit foods? You mean eating a portion size? Anyway, .2 is good too. Congrats! :D

Chrily: First of all, stop and take a few deep breaths. Now read over all of the advice that Judy and Princess have given. It's all good advice. Here's my 2c:

1) First, set aside 30 minutes every day for you. Declare it Chrily time, and no husbands or children or relatives or friends are allowed to interfere with that time. 3-4 times a week, take a walk during that time period. The rest of the days, do something that you enjoy and that relaxes you. And don't tell me you don't have 30 minutes free a day; you may be very busy, but you may just have to start turning things down, or doing less -- you don't have to be perfect, and you don't have to be everything to everyone. And don't feel guilty about it; you will be a better wife/mother/friend/relative if you take care of yourself and aren't so stressed. Make Chrily time mandatory, NOT optional.

2) Healthy eating doesn't have to be complicated. There are many low point meals that are easy and quick to make because they don't involve any cooking or complicated prep. For example, veggie soup, a 1-point tortilla (look for low-carb tortillas, they're usually low in points) and low fat or fat free cheese is a good choice. Or pre-washed greens and canned chicken. Or a roll, some turkey, ff mayo, lettuce and tomato. There's always lean cuisine, healthy choice and ww entrees too. Or a 1-pt tortilla with black beans, fat free cheese and veggies. You get the idea. These are simple combinations of low fat things that made low fat meals. If you get tired of these simple foods, then make a few quick soup recipes -- I think that the one princess gave us is quick -- and could probably be done while your kids are telling you about their day, or you are doing some other small task. Many crockpot dishes are also good, and some are so simple that you have to open a few cans, throw the contents in the crockpot, add the chicken, add the water and leave it going.

3) Eat your 5+ fruits and veggies every day. Eat a veggie with lunch and dinner; it will fill you up.

4) Split your meals up if you don't tend to stay full. For example, I eat oatmeal for breakfast, then a piece of fruit two hours later, then lunch two hours later, then a piece of fruit 3 hours later, then dinner after I workout. Spreading your meals out allows you to eat every few hours and means you won't get as hungry as you would if you just ate 3 meals a day.

5) Start using, small salad plates for your entree. The same amount of food looks much more generous on small plates than it does on a large plate. Or, if you use large plates, put your veggies and fruit on it too, and the plate looks more full. Silly, but quite effective.

6) Determination, as Susan said, is IMPORTANT. Know this -- you CAN do this, and more than that, you WILL do this. Keep repeating it to yourself. Make it your mantra. As you start to lose weight again, believing will be easier. Trust me. It IS doable. I gained 60+ pounds in college in four years; I went from a 12 to 22. And I have lost 51 pounds now! And there are others, in this group and outside of this group that have been very successful. Don't let yourself think that failure is imminent; that will self-sabotage, and besides, it's NOT TRUE. Failure is only imminent if you give up. If you keep trying, success is imminent!

7) This is a lifetime change. I heard that from WW leaders so many times, I'd just roll my eyes, because I was sick of hearing it, but it's absolutely TRUE. This is not temporary; you will be eating healthier and working out long-term. Don't let that depress; it's not a bad thing, and it's not as hard as it sounds. Also, the fact that this is a permanent change in your behavior means that your WL will stay off. That's the point.

8) I know that WW is expensive, but if you can swing it, you should go. You don't have to talk if you don't want to do so. You could also do WW online, where you also pay a monthly fee, but they offer a recipe database, a points and progress tracker, and weekly blow-by-blow menus. But if you don't have time to cook now, they may be too complicated for your lifestyle.

You can do it, Chrily, but you need to do it *now*. Get started *now*. Today, set aside your 30 minutes. Today, start tracking points and eating as healthily as you can (or switch to core, and follow their rules.) Take it one day at a time, do the best you can, and remember, if you persist, you will eventually succeed.

Now, I REALLY have to go back to work, having written this novel; I've been thinking about it all yesterday and today, and that's the best I can offer.

Let me know how you're doing, ladies, and if you have anything exciting planned.

Princess1122
12-08-2006, 08:01 AM
Ariana: Thanks for the book title I will have to try it! I love to read. We have a book chain here, not sure if you have them or not but they are called Half Price Books and I could loose myself for a week or so in there :D And since there are new and used books and nothing is over half price I can go in there with a 20 dollar bill and have a wonderful time... So glad your sewing machine is repaired!

Judy: Awesome job on the W/I... this time of year a loss is a loss! How are you doing other wise?

Chris: I hope something of what I said was helpful to you... Ariana always gives good advise so listen to what she says. Basically it all comes down to how bad we all want it... it is not any different then any other addiction... actually it is worse since all we have to do it walk into our kitchen or the nearest drive thru to get a fix. If you treat it like that and make up your mind to change then you will succeed... once you do that failure is not an option. You can do it and you are worth it.

Bandit: Are you back to your normal routine after your trip yet? Sometimes it is so hard to get back to normal after being away.

I have to run but will check back later on.
Susan

bandit2
12-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Good morning, Turtles:

Princess - yes, I am back into my normal routine & actually this afternoon going to check out a new gym nearby. Curves has been great, but I would like to have an option of a swim during the winter months. So, we'll see how it goes.

The rest of you all sound like you are doing great. So, keep up the good work.

Ariana2000
12-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Ladies: today seems to be DRAGGING at work. I am doing a very boring and mundane part of my job, right now, but it'll de done in a few days. I have fun plans for the weekend, so I feel as though I'm about set. Take care, ladies, and let me know how everything is going when you get a chance!

Susan: No, we don't have one of those, but we do have several Bookman's, which is a local chain that sells everything a bookstore would, gently used, and usually at half price. I could spend hours there. Let me know if you like it. I am delighted that the machine is repaired in time for the weekend. I'm glad you thought my advice was sound; I was afraid I was being a little too pushy...but sometimes I think we need a push. Each time I've lost my momentum, I've become frustrated, vented to you guys, you all gave me support and sound advice, and I was able to get back on track.

Bandit: Glad to hear that you are getting back on track. Tell us more when you get a chance.

Itryharder
12-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Dear Turtles,
Oh my gosh! Chrily, thanks so much for asking for help. Did our turtles deliver the best help possible? Fabulous answers.
I was away for a couple of days, but it's time to start our next thread.
We are triumphant!
Judy
Look for us at #173