UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:45 AM   #1  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Question Getting to know you at Christmas

Hi girls, I got sent this and thought it'd be fun to share...nice to know what other people do....

Welcome to the 2006 Holiday Edition of Getting to Know Your Friends! You
know the drill. Highlight, copy, and paste (not forward or reply) and change
my answers to your answers, AND POST INTO A NEW BULLETIN!!!!!.. Enjoy!!
Everyone has time for a few moments of fun! Don't be a scrooge!!!

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate, with cool whip from the freezer on top

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Wraps... everything under the tree is wrapped

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Coloured, all over the place...Mr. Dave does the outside (he'll be mighty chilly this year, unlike in AZ where he sweated and he does the tree lights too... I might put some at window's but prob not

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Only if I buy it, usually boy scouts sell it outside shops somewhere.

5. When do you put your decorations up? Used to be the second Satu in December when we lived at home, as we'd take the kids to Santa's workshop so they could buy their pressies for everyone, and then we'd buy a real tree on the way home, and start decorating, now since being in the US... it's the day after Thanksgiving....

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? The whole caboodle, of everything piled on the plate, down to the last sprout.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Midnight mass at St. Peter's and walking out of the church past midnight, knowing that it was then Christmas day and when you got home, you could open a little pressie from under the tree before getting to bed. And...it snowing when I was ten...

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? What truth? What don't I know about him? Sordid secrets or some such?

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? No, although Mr. Dave always tries to con me into letting him by saying it's an old Parker tradition.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Lights, beads, and balls, all different colours and loads of snowmen...

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I like it, if it's a little amount and goes away quickly.

12. Can you ice skate? No, and never tried.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I've loved loads, too many to list.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Having the people you love and care about, be with you, safe, warm and happy.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Christmas pud, or anything with fresh cream...

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Playing Christmas music when we decorate and singing along....must find those Sing-along-at-Christmas-time by Max Bygraves tapes... Dave will be thrilled.

17. What tops your tree? A LIGHT-UP STAR

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? Love giving, do like a little something to unwrap myself

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Got loads, but Carol of the bells is fab.

20. Candy Canes! yuck or yummy? They're ok to hang on the tree.

21. Fave Christmas Movie? Love Actually is very Christmassy, I like loads....

22. When does X-mas break start? 23 Dec for Hannah

23. When does it end? 2 Jan

24. What's on your wish list? Ummmmmmmm.... I need a new skillet and my hair dryer doesn't heat up anymore.

25. Are you going to visit family members? No, my Mummy is coming to spend Christmas and New Year with us on Cape Cod.

26. What are going to do over X-mas break? Go Christmas shopping, go to all the Christmassy things I can find around and enjoy the season.

27.What are you doing on New Years? A few drinks in front of a roaring fire with family.

28. Christmas tree- real or fake? Fake, can't have a real one anymore, Hannah's allergic to them

Life may not Be the Party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as
dance.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:04 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate, made with water, Belgian choc options with a splash of milk and LOTS of big fat marshmallows

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Er.... Santa? He doesn't exist! I wrap my pressies!

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? White, usually just on a tree with silver decs but we have a tiny fake tree ornamenty thing this year, not going for a proper tree

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Not usually, I get enough kisses

5. When do you put your decorations up? Probably the week before chrimbo

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Turkey and cranberry sauce and I LOVE honey parsnips

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Er... I guess it was all the Christmas parties and church get togethers and Christmas bazaars and things, community spirit!

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I never believed in Santa - I asked Mum and Dad why Santa's beard hooked behind his ears!

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Depends how many I've got!!! I usually only get one!

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Lights and silver baubles, I have some silver jingley bells too!

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love it if I was at Mum and Dads on the sledge, hate it if I have to ride in it. Alternatively love it if it's too bad to go to work in!

12. Can you ice skate?
Yup, had my 21st at that place on the Strand

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Surprise Jamie Cullum tickets

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Chilling out and relaxing

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Christmas pud, and I like chocolate log too!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Don't really have any traditions

17. What tops your tree? Used to be a home-made cardboard fairy, but I think she died, we do have a silver star somewhere.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? Love giving, do like a little something to unwrap myself DITTO!

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Wish I had a River - so depressing but a good song! I also love Maddy Prior's CD Tapestry of Carols!

20. Candy Canes! yuck or yummy? Pretty cwappy.

21. Fave Christmas Movie? I like that one with the elf who makes flying lollies, I also love the Grinch

22. When does X-mas break start? 24 Dec 5pm

24. What's on your wish list? Expensive and sparkly, but I'll probably get practical and cheap!

25. Are you going to visit family members? We're doing Xmas dinner on the NYMR on the 9th Dec with my folks, then New year with his folks. We are blissfully alone on Christmas day!

26. What are going to do over X-mas break? Er... nothing!

27.What are you doing on New Years? Dressing up like a loon and roaming the streets of St Ives probably

28. Christmas tree- real or fake? Usually real, but we've decided it's a waste of money and tree
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #3  

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate with fresh whipped cream

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? My Aunt wraps all mine! I don't think Santa does the wrapping.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Coloured.Peacock 2's family don't do lights but down the road is a whole road of lit up houses (we are too cheap ourselves!)

4. Do you hang mistletoe? NO.

5. When do you put your decorations up? I don't. I visit family. I think they do it the night before.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Just the thought of being 'allowed' crunchy roast spuds. I love the sauces too

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: My rotten Brother telling me Father Christmas was behind the wardrobe.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I saw my mum come in with our stockings. Cannot remember what age. Prob too old really.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? No.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? From what I can remember mainly baubles and tinsel. Sometimes my aunt puts on candy canes.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love it as long as I do not have slippery shoes on.
12. Can you ice skate? Only if I never let go of the side!

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? My 'Mary' baby doll when I was 5. She was gorgeous not like some baby dolls.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Meeting up with the family.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Trifle!!! We have that Boxing Day.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? We can;t have too much music (which I would like) or my Aunt looks 'pained'.

17. What tops your tree? Cannot remember.Used to be a 'drunken' fairy.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? Giving - seeing the joy on someone's face

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Anything fromt ehPhil Spector Christmas CD

20. Candy Canes! yuck or yummy? They're ok to hang on the tree.

21. Fave Christmas Movie? White Christmas I guess.....

22. When does it start? 23rd is when my Aunt and I drive to Mum's

23. When does it end? 2 Jan - My Birthday!!

24. What's on your wish list? Mainly books. I usually buy what I really want, myself.

25. Are you going to visit family members? Yes, always to Mum's first then Brother's for the actual day.

26. What are going to do over X-mas break? Not a lot. I will be back home a few days after cos Aunt doesn't like staying too long . She @gets a headache'.

27.What are you doing on New Years? NOthing planned yet. Same as usual - nothing.

28. Christmas tree- real or fake? Real aren't practical so we have fake.
Will be interesting this year as it is the the 4 cats first Christmas!Wonder how long they leave the tree standing.

Last edited by peacock 2; 11-21-2006 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Missed out stuff
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:19 PM   #4  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate, preferably with brandy, rum or kirsch added. Baileys is nice in it too, or amaretto (see the theme?). Cream on top if I'm being naughty.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Definitely wraps them.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? White.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? No. It would be wasted in my house anyway

5. When do you put your decorations up? Ranges between the first of second week of December and never. It depends when I go to GC, whether I've been burgled recently, and whether I fancy a trip into the attic. This year they're probably not going up, because I'm away until 7th January and it would seem stupid to put them up and take them down again before Christmas, but I don't want to leave them up after the 6th because I'm superstitious like that. I also didn't put them up the year I was burgled in mid-December because I had other things on my mind. I store everything in the attic and I hate going up stepladders when I'm alone in the house, particularly because the tree is heavy.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Dessert A hard one this, as it will be my first veggie christmas, so saying sausages in bacon is a little inappropriate, but I haven't tried any veggie stuff to get any new favourites.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Drinking my grandmother's sherry at 18 months (she left it on the floor within crawling range). OK, so I don't actually remember that, but it's my favourite story about what I got up to. Where I used to live there used to be a "santa float" type thing which was an open backed lorry which was all lit up and decorated, and which would roam the streets one night a week or two before christmas. I can't remember whether it handed out presents or sweets, but I always used to look forward to seeing it. (And, when I wasn't such a child, christmas shopping in New York and going to santa's grotto). And carol services. I don't know why I don't go to them any more, I used to really love them.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I can't remember when, although from a quite early age I remember asking my grandfather what santa would like to eat and drink so I'd know what to leave out for him.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? No

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? It depends whether I can face getting it out of the attic (see above), if I do it's lights, and purple and silver baubles and tinsel. No chocolate. I'm not even sure there's a fairy.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love it.

12. Can you ice skate? I used to be able to (badly) and really want to go ice skating this year. Possibly in Manchester when I go over to see my friends next weekend.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? No single gift stands out.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Sunbathing. Sorry, spending time with my family.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Christmas pudding, although stollen runs it a very very close second.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Don't really have one, christmas has totally changed since I started spending it in GC and we haven't really settled into a pattern yet. One potential new one is a walk in the sand dunes at Maspalomas wearing santa hats...

17. What tops your tree? See above... I don't think there's anything on top of it.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? Receiving sometimes turns into a bit of an anti-climax, planning the giving is more fun (although actually shopping for it is the nasty bit. It's nice trying to think of a list of things though).

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Fairytale of New York

20. Candy Canes! yuck or yummy? I've never tried one.

21. Fave Christmas Movie? Nightmare before Christmas

22. When does X-mas break start? It depends what I can negotiate with my boss. This year it's lunchtime on 22nd December.

23. When does it end? This year, 8th January.

24. What's on your wish list? Chocolate covered pistachios and marzipan filled dates. Fitness stuff and gadgets. In an ideal world I'd ask for a bike, but I'd never get it home again.

25. Are you going to visit family members? Oh yes indeedy.

26. What are going to do over X-mas break? Sunbathe, go shopping, walking in the mountains and along the sea front, spend time with family, relax.

27.What are you doing on New Years? Not sure yet, probably go down into Playa del Ingles to have a meal at my sister's house and watch the fireworks that all the hotels launch.

28. Christmas tree- real or fake? Fake.

Last edited by YP1; 11-21-2006 at 02:15 PM.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:45 PM   #5  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? - Hot chocolate with a shot of amaretto or peppermint schnapps

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? - We wrap gifts but don't really push the Santa thing.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? - Definitely colored lights. They're so magical.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? - Absolutely!

5. When do you put your decorations up? - I'd like to do it now but hubby is making me wait til at least 1st of December

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? You guys might not know this dish in the UK but it's green bean casserole made with mushroom soup and french-fried onions. Mmmmmmm! Anyone know where I can buy the onions here?

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Going to be with my dad's family on Christmas Eve. He has 8 brothers and sisters so there were lots of us. And also, last year, going home to The States to see my mom, dad, brothers, sisters and nieces. We drove down to the Smokies and spent Christmas in a log cabin. It was gorgeous.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? - I think I held on to that belief until I was 11. I just wanted to believe so desperately. I felt very jaded when I finally realised. That's why we don't play up Santa.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? - Depends. If we're celebrating the holidays here In England, then we only celebrate Yule, on the 21st. When I'm with my family, we exchange all our gifts on Christmas Eve (for their sake). We don't celebrate Christmas Day at all. It's just another day to us.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? - Lights, garland, baubles,candy canes and chocolates (a great English tradition, not so much in The States). Part of the fun of growing up was sneaking candy canes off of Mom's perfectly decorated tree and rearranging things to see how long it'd take her to notice they were starting to go missing!

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? - Hate it! I am so NOT dreaming of a white Christmas! I'm from Ohio, ma. I had enough of snow to last a lifetime.

12. Can you ice skate? - Yup. I used to be pretty good but I have a weak ankle now.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? - My daughter was born on the 23rd of December. Someone sent me a song that went "the greatest gift I ever got didn't really weigh alot...it didn't have a ribbon round and sometimes made a terrible sound...

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? - Family, above all. Also, food and cooking is very important to me when it comes to Sabbats and Holidays.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? - Red Velvet cake! Yummy!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? - Yule evening, having a lovely meal, listening to soft Celtic music as we sip cocoa and open our gifts.

17. What tops your tree? A representation of the Sun since Yule is the Winter Solstice and the sun begins to strengthen again.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? - Giving. I love to watch people's faces when they receive something they really love. But I'd be lying if I said I didn;t like receiving, too!

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? - I love God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

20. Candy Canes! yuck or yummy? - Oh how I love candy canes!

21. Fave Christmas Movie? - Oh, totally It's a Wonderful Life. Watch it every year and cry every year. Still hoping someday ol' man Potter will get his comeuppance!

22. When does X-mas break start? 21 Dec

24. What's on your wish list? - We're re-doing the bathroom as a mututal gift to each other, lol. But I have been hinting for the last few seasons of Buffy on DVD.

25. Are you going to visit family members? No, we aren't going to The States this year.

26. What are going to do over X-mas break? Redo the bathroom! Yeah!

27.What are you doing on New Years? Ermmm, knowing me, I'll be sound asleep by midnight.

28. Christmas tree- real or fake? Artificial. I can't see killing a living tree for a few weeks of pleasure. I have considered getting the kind with a root ball to replant but am just as happy with fake. No pine needles to sweep up!
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/252.5/164

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? - Hot chocolate with a tot of something nice and alcoholic added in.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? - They sit under the tree all beautifully wrapped up.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? - White lights on the tree.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? - No, but I would if I ever thought of buying it.

5. When do you put your decorations up? - Usually any time after the 10th December as that's my sons birthday.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Roast parsnips and I do some mean sesame seeded sprouts - in fact the sprouts are my only contribution to the Christmas dinner every year as hubby always cooks it.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Being at my aunties house when I was about 8 and in a single bed with my brother who would have been 13 and our sister who was about 3 and we didn't sleep a wink as we were all trying to work out which of the many noises was Santa

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? - I can't remember finding out so it was nothing too traumatic.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? - No, save them all until Christmas morning.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? - White lights, gold red and bronze coloured baubles and objects.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? - Love it as long as I don't have to drive in it.

12. Can you ice skate? - I could when I was younger but I've only ever done it about twice.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? - My eternity ring, hubby got a box of chocolates and opened them and put it inside - he fed one of the chocolates to our daughter so that he could say that she'd opened them and ate one - crafty he is.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? - Spending time with my family, all relaxing and playing mad games.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? - Just Christmas cake - I could eat it for breakfast, dinner or tea.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? - On Christmas Eve my children always carried in Santas and Rudolphs gifts - one brought the mince pie, one the large glass of Baileys (Santa has good taste) and one the carrot. I always used to bite the end of the carrot and leave it on the plate for them to see in the morning - they always believed that Santa brought the bit Rudolph didn't eat back into the house.

17. What tops your tree? A beautiful Angel.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? - I prefer the whole act of giving, from the deciding what to buy to keeping the surprise.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? - Away In A Manger

20. Candy Canes! yuck or yummy? - No idea, don't think I've ever had one.

21. Fave Christmas Movie? - Miracle on 34th Street.

22. When does X-mas break start? 22nd December.

23. When does it end? 2nd January.

24. What's on your wish list? - Not sure this year, think I'd quite like an Ipod.

25. Are you going to visit family members? Don't think we are this year, I think (and hope) that we're staying home this year.

26. What are going to do over X-mas break? Have a great holiday and just do whatever is felt like on the day.

27.What are you doing on New Years? Usually we stay in and have a karaoke or something with the kids.

28. Christmas tree- real or fake? Fake, I love real ones and used to have them but I hated throwing them away it used to upset me so I went artificial and feel happier now.
katie_oxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:54 PM   #7  
Slow and steady

Mummy Tummy,

I don't know of anywhere that you'd get the onions for the top of your green bean casserole, unless you are near a base and know someone who can use the commissary? If you want some sent in time for Christmas, PM me your address and I'll send some along I love the stuff....
BritinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:56 AM   #8  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

You're a total Goddess, BritinNJ!! I know they're not a healthy choice but I only have it once or twice a year (like Yule and sometimes Thanksgiving). I was reconciled to missing it this year, hehe. NOT NOW! I'll pm you.
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:03 AM   #9  

Mummy tummy - I actualy know what you are talking about cos one of the American girls at work get packages around this time of year from her mum. I teased her mercilessly when I discovered it was those onions!

Mind you - if I lived in USA I would definatley find one of those British shops. I was always intrigued by 'Graham crackers'. Our substitute for that is digestive biscuits. Looking at the website nicecupof tea - which is all about mainly British biscuits (what you call cookies- only I think ours are crunchier - which we like cos we dip them in tea!). Anyway - I did not like tohe look of the Graham crackers cos our digestives are round! (shape matters!).

HOpe you get some onions - kind of BritNJ wasn't it?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:12 AM   #10  

OK Look away now, if you don't cheer on Ebenezeer Scrooge when he's still mean...

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Not entirely sure what egg nog is (have heard of it - is it some disgusting thing with raw egg?) Neither. Dislike anything with raw egg. Find hot chocolate sickly.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? ' He' wraps them. 'He' started last night. 'He' hates wrapping things. 'He' has 5 kids. 'He' will be wrapping junk for a month, now...

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Oh dear! House? Er no, but if my neighbours put lights on their houses, I will photograph and send to the 'Chav Scum' competition for the chavviest house. I did think about doing it to be ironic. But I can't afford that kind of irony... On the tree, I don't care. White is more tasteful and cheaper.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Yes. But I'd punch the lights out of anyone who tried to kiss me under it.

5. When do you put your decorations up? When the kids have nagged me so much my brain will explode if I don't comply.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? I'm a vegetarian, and I hate xmas pudding and xmas cake. Oh and I hate mince pies. Which means, I'm happy to eat as normal.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Going xmas shopping with my mum, dad and brother in Leeds city centre. It was dusk and I was tired so my dad carried me on his shoulders, and I remember the xmas lights. It would have been the mid 1960s.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? When I was 6. Also the mid 60s. My brother 'babysitting' me when parents were out - showed me the neatly wrapped, well hidden presents.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? No.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? With whatever tat we've accumulated. I never buy anything xmassy til the January sales when they're desperate to flog it. Then I use it the following year. But I haven't needed to for a coupla years now, have as much glittery/plastic tat as any tree can carry.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? This is England. Global warming! What's snow? I remember it from my childhood - being snowed in, and every kid had a sledge - no-one could ever need one, now. I dread the tropical sun beating down on us on xmas day.

12. Can you ice skate? Badly. I don't like physical injury so avoid it.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? No. Ah yes I remember one - again the 60s, when my mum went to college and we were broke. All my parents could afford was a plastic toy hair dryer (probably about 25p in today's money) but I loved it. Other years, I got state of the art giant lego sets, bikes, dolls, you name it but I LOVED that hair dryer.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Getting through them with my sanity intact by the end.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Dunno. Not into xmassy food.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Playing Lord of the Rings Trivial Pursuit with the boys and being beaten by my 13 yr old.

17. What tops your tree? A teddy dressed as a fairy. This year I took up teddy making s I'm making a new one. It will be very elaborate....

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? Receiving. (I'm honest!)

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? 'The Holly and the Ivy' because it's very pagan. I don't believe in xianity or commercialism so xmas is a big turn off. Anything to subvert it.

20. Candy Canes! yuck or yummy? LOL. US thing (although I spotted them in Tescos this year) We don't have them. Had them when I lived over there. Might as well cut to the chase and suck sugar through a straw.

21. Fave Christmas Movie? I love an obscure British 1950s film, 'The Holly and the Ivy' (Ralph Pichardson and Margaret Leighton). It's probably got camp value. Is very touching. I have to say 'It's A Wonderful Life' is my all time least favourite film. Hate the sentiment. Oh but I like high quality sentimentality - LOVE anything Dickens.

22. When does X-mas break start? Too soon.

23. When does it end? Too late.

24. What's on your wish list? Mainly mohair for teddy making! And a coupla books. And maybe a Tarot deck.

25. Are you going to visit family members? My old dad. And probably my brother and family as my nephew's home from uni and we miss him!

26. What are going to do over X-mas break? Have lie ins.

27.What are you doing on New Years? Have brother and family round then we go back to theirs. Next village launches 100s of plastic ducks onto the beck. The vicar does it. Not sure why. We go to watch. (Should add, the pagan new year has already happened - Nov 1st - we celebrate yule, the original midwinter feast, 21st Dec but do all the traditional xmas stuff Dec 25th so the kids don't feel 'odd').

28. Christmas tree- real or fake? LOL. Bad questuon for a practicing druid! Has to be fake... but the kids laugh at me because I always 'liberate' a rooted tree from some nursery or shop and plant in the garden. Those things are meant to die on you - they've ripped half the roots off anyway. But I've kept every one alive. I put them in the front, with my holly trees. So at least one tree survives the madness, every year!

Oh dear. Shall I get me coat?

Last edited by PhatPhoenix; 11-22-2006 at 04:37 AM.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:28 AM   #11  

Oh dear Phat- do get your coat!!!

Talking about the tradition of the plastic ducks - on the river at Beaulieu someone also puts a blow up snowman in a boat - no one knows who does it but it is fun!
Old 11-22-2006, 05:59 AM   #12  
gracey

S/C/G: 242/172/168

Height: 5ft 11

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Egg nog, had it since i was a wee kiddie, and still love it....yum

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? i love wrapping presents, why would santa steal that joy from me?

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? i think we bought some white ones last year.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? nope.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
We put them up the weekend after the 98th of december, as its my brothers bday, and was always tradition to not put them up till after that.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? stuffing in all its glory. i love it.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: When my nan came over for christmas, sat in the corner got merry on wine and christmas food, and got scared by my furby toy, and annoyed by my cat. She was very happy that day, and brought round a massive massive black bag full of chocolate and candy. LOL

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? erm i think i was opptimistic as a kid, but worked it out fairly quickly.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? No my family are strict, and i think that tradition has carried on too lol.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? lights, tincel, beads, balls, and the odd decoration to remind the family of relatives who have past on, a dove for my nan, a robin for my grandad and little angels for my cats....sweet huh

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I think it is beautifull, and we dont get alot, so when its here, i love it.
12. Can you ice skate? yes, but no more then round and round and a good pace.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? erm, my boyfriend bought me a beautifull jewelery box last year, it was very art nouveau, and stunning, and totally unexpected so that was nice :-)

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?Being around my family, we only have 4 of us, and my borther couldent care less, so i always try to be with my mum and dad.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? trifel, mince pies and cream yum

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Watching dad fall asleep to the queens speech after he cooked christmas lunch, and had a few glasses of wine.. LOL.

17. What tops your tree? a star with a light in it so it glows with the tree.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? giving, wrapping and buying for everyone, love it way to much.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? erm, im not that fondof the music lol
20. Candy Canes! yuck or yummy? ewww

21. Fave Christmas Movie? erm......nightmare before christmas.?

22. When does X-mas break start?whenevr college breaks up, so like the 15th of decemeber i think.

23. When does it end? jan 2

24. What's on your wish list? a sewing machine, want to make own clothes, and things to sell lol.
25. Are you going to visit family members?deffinetly, but i wish i could have just christmas eve with my boyfriend, but that will never ever happen.(his family are very possesive)

26. What are going to do over X-mas break? sleep,shop, and decorate my flat....
27.What are you doing on New Years? go out with friends proberly, there may be a good night out down here, just gotta hope i can drag boyfriend along with it.
28. Christmas tree- real or fake? real, but i dont think ill get one this year, alot of hassle, for only me and my boyfriend. Maybe a small one, i dunno.
freethetoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:54 AM   #13  

Peacock and Britin - I get you about the differences between US and UK xmasses! I know it's different in different parts of the US, too... where we were, in the Mid West, xmas was no big deal - but Thanksgiving... They went to town on it. In the UK, maybe because we're a small country and right until the 1990s, only had 4 TV stations, everyone watched the same things, and there was a strong sense of xmas, and various TV traditions.... (Not 'It's a Wonderful Life!' although that's creeping in here, now....) but we always had the Morecambe & Wise xmas special (double act, comedians) and the Queen's Speech (I can't look at her now without thinking of David Walliams as that posh lady at the garden parties, with her exact hairstyle, throwing up copiously....). And, for us kids, the build up to xmas was always exciting as we had the Blue Peter Annual to look forward to (I got one every year!) and their big charity appeal in the lead-up to xmas, and making an advent candle thing out of wire coathangers and fireproof tinsel (which I never got!) I think now our culture is less strong, with cable TV, etc.

The candy canes were summat I spotted when we lived in Colorado. They are also creeping in, now but you never saw them here a few years back. Also, we noticed when we lived over there everything was flavoured with cinammon - where we'd have cherry, or vanilla, or something. Weird little cultural things like that intrigue me!

We once went to this Xmas Shop - Estes Park, I think? I bought a couple of things there I still have (tree ornaments) much nicer than most you can get in the UK. Now I live near York and we have a shop called Christmas Angels which is the only place I've seen in England, like the US xmas shops!

When we lived over there, our relatives sent us out British tea and chocolate, the whole time we were there! We didn't miss British coffee, though! (In the 90s, it was still all Nescafe Instant - has improved a bit, now). The US thing I never got was Oreos (Eurgh!) They are like those black dog biscuits. What's that about? And Twinkies? Eek! And the scary brown colour of the tinned baked beans... and weird taste. You'd think a can of beans would be the same anywhere, eh? We soon learned otherwise...

The only US cookies we could eat were Pepperidge Farm. And where we lived, you couldn't buy curry so I had to learn how to make one from scratch - and I mean scratch! Mind you we had a job buying any fresh food at all - that wasn't irradiated or covered in wax. But that was because we were in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

The odd thing was, the Aussies we were friends with cooked all the same things as the Brits - and we'd often eat at eachother's places, for a bit of 'home cooking'.

Grahams were OK. I wouldn't eat them now (the sugar!) Tell you what you can get in England that's nice... Reeces.

One of my friends is from the US now lives in Britain and she is addicted to british chocolate. She now knows what I was going on about when I lived over there!

The food - and xmas - is soooo different.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:50 AM   #14  
Slow and steady

THanks everyone who has done this so far, it's very interesting to read... PP... you made me laugh so much with yours, we've al felt the same way at some point...my kids are big now, so we seem to have got things a bit more refined now...but I do miss some of the chaos.

You're also right about the BIG differences between UK and US. At home UK, Christmas lasts so much longer where as here it's one day and done....I've never quite got used to that, especially with such a big build up at Thanksgiving and the expense some people go to and then by Boxing Day (which is no existant sp?) it's all over

Peacock, I can be nice...on occaisons, I do know how it feels to crave stuff though living so far away, I am so terrible when I come home, before I'm even on the plane, I am planning on what I'm going to eat.. and it's all naughty stuff, the whole time I'm there....so something like this, I can relate to

Mummy Tummy... checking PM now
BritinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:54 AM   #15  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Ooohhh I Love threads like this. I love the differences between the way people and countries celebrate Christmas.

Christmas is a big deal in my house. It wasn't very important when I was a kid - I think there was domestic stuff going on that I only became aware of as an adult - so my memories of Christmas being a happy time only really started when I had my daughter.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Neither - - but I'm your woman when it comes to mulled wine. Just pass me a vat.....

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? All pressies in this house are wrapped. Presents from Santa are wrapped in special paper with special sticky tape and are left in our stockings at the end of our bed. On Christmas morning we sit in bed and unwrap our presents from Father Christmas, then later on we go downstairs and open our other presents.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? None on the house and our fake tree is fibre optic so the lights are kind of swirly multi colour. If we're having a real tree the lights are clear and do jazzy flashing routines.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Only if I can find some growing - haven't found any since we moved to Yorkshire.

5. When do you put your decorations up? The Sunday before Christmas - so this year it will be the 17th because, for us, Christmas Eve is part of Christmas.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Those little cocktail sausages wrapped in bacon. I love them hot AND cold.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: I only have two childhood Christmas memories. One is pretty awful and the other one isn't much better.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I never believed in Santa - but my daughter believed in him right up until the summer before she moved on to senior school. I had to explain that he didn't exist (except in our hearts) so it wasn't as traumatic as if she'd found out any other way.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Yes - always.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? The decorations are gold and crystal - I never put anything edible on the tree because of the dogs.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Lovely for the first day and after that I've had enough.

12. Can you ice skate? No. I've tried a couple of times but its like dancing - I just can't do it! I think I've got two left feet.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Oh yes!!!!!

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? That DH gets a good relaxing break.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Tesco Finest Peach Champagne Russe. Its probably available all year round but we only get it at Christmas for Boxing Day dessert and its to die for.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Getting slowly hammered on Christmas Eve while doing all the preparation and cooking - then going to the Children's Carol Service at the local church.

17. What tops your tree? A crystal star

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? Hmmmm bit of both. I love giving to DH but the other gift buying is pretty much a chore - but I like getting pressies as well!

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Away in a Manger which they ALWAYS sing at the Children's Carol Service. It always makes me cry... but that could be the booze.

20. Candy Canes! yuck or yummy? Never tried them. They always look as if they are made of something like seaside rock which I really hate.

21. Fave Christmas Movie? Haven't got one - but I'll ALWAYS watch Breakfast at Tiffanys if its on over Christmas.

22. When does X-mas break start? Saturday 23rd December at 2pm - which is when DH finishes work for the Christmas break.

23. When does it end? 28th December at 6am - which is when DH has to start back.

24. What's on your wish list? A large bottle of Angel - and to be a size 14!

25. Are you going to visit family members? No - they're all coming over here.

26. What are going to do over X-mas break? Mixture of very chilled out and very busy:

Xmas Eve - Fun day! What normally happens is this: About noon I start to do as much pre-preparation as I can for Xmas Day and Boxing day. People drop in for a glass of wine and a mince pie/sausage roll and (just to be sociable of course) I have a glass as well. By mid afternoon I am VERY merry. At 4.30 we go to the village church Childrens Carol & Nativity Service where we meet up with neighbours. Neighbours invite us to pub - we agree to go for one drink because I've put casserole in oven for dinner - we forget about the casserole and stumble back home after the pub kicks out - find the casserole is a burned mess - get kebab delivered.

Xmas Day - just me and DH - long lie in with breakfast in bed - take the dogs for a walk - then I pull out all the stops and prepare the best meal I possibly can - then we doze in front of a log fire eating choccies and getting tiddly. (Note the recurrent theme here!!!!)

Boxing Day - Loads of visiting relatives plus open house running buffet for friends, family and neighbours. I normally don't get to eat too much but I do get tiddly.

27th December - A re-run of Christmas Day but without the presents.

27.What are you doing on New Years? Got a posh black tie dinner party to go to followed by a semi-'ball' thing. Not looking forward to it at all. Not my sort of thing and I'm not sure why we agreed to go!

28. Christmas tree -real or fake? This year it will probably be the fake one - it depends on what dogs we've got and how well they are behaved as to whether we have a real or a fake one. If we do decide on a real one it will be a rootball one and then plant it out in the garden afterwards.

Last edited by Sarah Ann; 11-22-2006 at 09:04 AM.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote