Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6

Default What kind of weight loss could i expect?

What kind of weight loss could i expect from following a whole foods lifestyle? I have read what i can and cant eat and it sounds like the plan for me!

Just wondering what i can maybe expect
RocknRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:48 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

To me whole foods is about feeling better, healthier, and somewhat more energetic. Losing/maintaining weight is about energy balance, or counting calories/portions. You can GAIN weight on a whole foods diet if you don't watch your energy balance. I think whole foods helps to make you feel more full so I want to eat less, but it isn't a sure thing. So if you're trying to lose make sure you don't neglect the energy balance side of the equation.

BTW: I'm not a believer in foods you "can and can't eat". There are just foods that I try to eat more often (whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean protein and dairy) and foods I try to eat less often (cheesecake, chips, sweets, junk food). Granted some foods I try to eat less often so as to make it rare, but I find I set myself up for a binge if something is forbidden.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

That's a tough question, everyone's weight loss is different and depends on many many variables including calorie intake and exercise. Just "eating whole foods" isn't enough for weight loss - I eat whole foods now and maintain my goal weight. It was a combination of whole foods, portion size, calorie counting and exercise that helped me lose weight. I usually lost 2 lbs a week (some weeks I lost one pound and some weeks I didn't lose any weight).

It may be different for you since you are very close to your goal weight. I lost weight quicker when I first started (at 200 lbs). My weight loss really really slowed down the closer I got to my goal weight.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #4  

I don't think whole foods are 'magic'. They won't make you lose weight per se. Like Anne and Glory said, you'll most likely feel better and get full faster, but you still can't eat a jar of nuts or a whole dark chocolate bar regularly and expect to lose weight.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:34 PM   #5  

You will feel better with whole foods probably but I wouldn't depend on it for weightloss.
buffedstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

While I totally agree that whole foods isn't a "diet" in the sense of particularly to lose weight, I have found (experimenting with eating whole foods on and off) that when I stick with whole real foods that include veggies, fruits, whole grains, good fats in moderation, lowfat dairy and occasional "treats" (like dark chocolate) I naturally lose weight. It's not a fast weight loss like when I restrict my calories and/or food choices but it's a definate gradual loss. I think although restricting calories is important for weight loss, I know that for myself, restriction taken to the extreme will backfire for me. If I eat a 1800 or 1900 calorie diet, even if it's whole foods, I know I'll either gain or not lose. But if I eat 1100 or 1200 (which I've done often during the last 20 years of diet/binge eating) I'll ultimately go for a binge. Now I'm eating around 1500 calories and I feel fully satisfied with that. I don't weigh myself so I can't tell you for sure that I've lost weight or inches but I do feel tons better and more energetic (which has led me to start incorporating resistance exercises and a little yoga) and I'm antiscipating that I'll gradually lose inches. I'll never be model thin but at my age I'm not looking to be .

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote