Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 11-18-2006, 12:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243/221.4/170

Height: 5'10"

Default Best exercise while nursing

Hi everyone! Just wondering what the best exercises are for someone who's still breastfeeding part-time? DD is 7 months old and has 3 solid meals a day, but still nurses 7 times a day or so. I'm hoping to continue until she is at least a year old, and longer if that works for us.

I do a lot of walking with her but I wouldn't say it's awfully aerobic - there's only so fast I can go while pushing her stroller! I do have a couple of the WATP DVDs, as well as a yoga DVD and a Pilates DVD. Am I best to stick with these for now or are there other things I should add? How much exercise should I be aiming for each day?

Thanks for any advice!
sillybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:15 PM   #2  
resident lactivist

The best exercise is always going to be the one you will stick with. I lost most of the weight I've lost pushing a stroller or a double stroller around--I never took a walk under 2 miles long, & quite often it was longer. If you go for distance and keep up a pretty good pace, it can be useful exercise. You might also be able to find a Strollercize class in your area, if you're up for something structured.

Honestly, I can't think of anything more to suggest. If you enjoy what you're doing, and you're managing to do it regularly, then keep it up. I know Aphil bellydances--she taught it throughout most of her pregnancy, in fact, a feat of which I am still in awe. I sometimes enjoy dance aerobics videos. When I'm not feeling too uncoordinated to properly follow along, that is.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #3  
No description available.

Hee hee. I read the topic as what exercise to do while you are actually nursing and I thought, Kegels, of course!!

I agree with Sabra. Anything that you will stick with and that you like. Weights, running, tennis, martial arts, cycling, swimming....

And do those Kegels, too. : )
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:30 AM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

There is no limitation on exercise while nursing. I ran a marathon after dd while still nursing. Well...not DURING the marathon

I'm off to run 7 this am!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:56 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Yup. There's no exercise limits while nursing. I walk alot myself, but during the warmer days, and when the baby and I aren't nursing these colds (yuck), I run. Just get a jogging stroller. Or get one of the infant carriers to attach to the back of a bike and go riding. Videos are good. Or get someone to watch the baby for a couple hours and get out to an exercise class or the gym for some baby-free exercise time to yourself.

As far as WHILE nursing, like someone mentioned on the kegals. I also practice tightening my abs and doing leg lifts and leg extensions while lying in bed with the baby nursing.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree with Sabra that the best exercise is one that you will DO. I could have a mountain of Tae Bo dvd's at my house-and they wouldn't do a nit of good-because I would never, ever do them no matter how good of a workout it is.

Any exercise is great while nursing-that doesn't inhibit what you can, or cannot do.

I dance, walk, do yoga, and strength train, currently.

Also-I think the amount of time you exercise should start small, and then slowly increase. You want it to be a part of your regular routine. Don't start exercising for 2 hours a day like a lot of people do at New Years, when they make their resolutions. They tend to start off this way, and burn out a month later and quit. When I first started exercising regularly 8 years ago-I started with 10-15 minutes a day when my oldest daughter was napping. A couple months later I was averaging 30 minutes. Now it is anywhere from 45 minutes-6 hours a day (occasional out of town dance workshops!) depending on the schedule. But-it is consistent.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 243/221.4/170

Height: 5'10"

Thank you everyone - really appreciate it! And no no, I didn't mean exercises to do while I'm physically nursing - that's definitely kegel time only! I'm starting small, because there are only so many windows of opportunity when DD doesn't need my attention! There's a program for new mothers here where you get free passes to the local sports centre, and there's a nursery in the centre so I wouldn't have to worry about DD - she'll be nearby and well cared for. So I'm going to see about a referral to that program as well as the walking and the videos - a little bit every day will turn into more and more.

Thanks so much!
sillybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/142/125

Height: 5'4

APHIL, I too have like 3 tae bo vids and never used them, lol.

Walk it off sillybutt. I have an extremly fussy baby and I can't leave the house for long so I am thinking of getting a treadmill to walk while watching tv, because I'd rather die than to run or do tae bo for that matter.
Julia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:28 PM   #9  
resident lactivist

I've mentioned my Tae Bo experience here before. I did just fine til the time I accidentally kicked my eldest DD. I am just not coordinated enough for that sort of thing, I guess.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:18 PM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBigMonsterMomma View Post
I've mentioned my Tae Bo experience here before. I did just fine til the time I accidentally kicked my eldest DD. I am just not coordinated enough for that sort of thing, I guess.
ROFL! That sounds like something I'd do.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote