Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-17-2006, 03:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default That Stubborn Belly Fat

Wasn't there a commercial for something that supposedly gets rid of that? Ah, that magic pill. Anyway, I was moaning to my trainer about this problem area, and she said she's been reading stuff that indicates that more people are gluten sensitive than doctors realize, and that food sensitivities can cause people to have more belly fat. I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard of this? I've been kind of bummed lately that I just can't get myself down to a size 10 because of the waist issue. My ultimate goal of wearing a size 8 seems pretty impossible right now if I can't even get into a 10 at a weight that's healthy for me, and after so much time building muscle and losing bodyfat.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Wow, you sound like me. ALL my fat is in the belly it seems. Even when i was 20 pounds above target i was still in a size 18...just because of the dang belly. Shirts were rediculously loose on top...probably a size 10 if i wouldnt have had a belly but i had to buy them big so they would fit the belly when i sat down. Same with pants...had to buy them huge so they wouldnt be tight i the belly and they looked rediculous in the legs...i hope you get some good answers...i would love to know how to get rid of it other than the tummy tuck i am planning.

Regarding gluten though, my mother has that, celiac disease and she doesnt eat gluten anymore and unfortunately, she still has big belly, but small legs and shoulders.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #3  
Mel

Funny you should post this- I just discovered that I'm gluten sensitive and carry the gene for celiac's. They are not the same thing. My mother has celiac's and is gluten sensitive also, and is wasting away- from what I've read, researchers attribute everything under the sun to gluten sensitivity. For some unbiased info on what celiac can develop into, I've copied this
from the NIH site. I haven't read anything directly attributing abdominal fat to gluten sensitivity, but it has been linked with overall carbohydrate sensitivity and insulin resistance- both which are marked by increased abdominal fat.

A gluten-free diet is NOT a lower carb or low cal diet. I'm having trouble finding gluten-free substitutes for some of the foods I eat that are as low cal and nutritious (OATMEAL!) as what I'm trying to replace. A lot of celiac patients seems to gain weight as they heal on a gluten-free diet. This is partly because the absorbtion of nutrients improves, and because the gluten free foods are higher calorie

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddise...ac/index.htm#9

What are the complications of celiac disease?

Damage to the small intestine and the resulting nutrient absorption problems
put a person with celiac disease at risk for malnutrition and anemia as well as
several diseases and health problems.

* Lymphoma and adenocarcinoma are cancers that can develop in the
intestine.

* Osteoporosis is a condition in which the bones become weak,
brittle, and prone to breaking. Poor calcium absorption contributes to
osteoporosis.

* Miscarriage and congenital malformation of the baby,
such as neural tube defects, are risks for pregnant women with untreated
celiac disease because of nutrient absorption problems.

* Short stature
refers to being significantly under-the-average height. Short stature
results when childhood celiac disease prevents nutrient absorption
during the years when nutrition is critical to a child's normal growth
and development. Children who are diagnosed and treated before their
growth stops may have a catch-up period.

How common is celiac disease?

Data on the prevalence of celiac disease
is spotty. In Italy, about 1 in 250 people and in Ireland about 1 in 300
people have celiac disease. Recent studies have shown that it may be
more common in Africa, South America, and Asia than previously believed.

Until recently, celiac disease was thought to be uncommon in the United
States. However, studies have shown that celiac disease is very common.
Recent findings estimate about 2 million people in the United States
have celiac disease, or about 1 in 133 people. Among people who have a
first-degree relative diagnosed with celiac disease, as many as 1 in 22
people may have the disease.

Without treatment, people with celiac disease can develop complications
like cancer, osteoporosis, anemia, and seizures.
* A person with celiac disease may or may not have symptoms.

* Since celiac
disease is hereditary, family members of a person with celiac disease
may wish to be tested. * Celiac disease is treated by eliminating all
gluten from the diet. The gluten-free diet is a lifetime requirement. *
A dietitian can teach a person with celiac disease food selection, label
reading, and other strategies to help manage the disease.

Diseases Linked to Celiac Disease

People with celiac disease tend to have other
autoimmune diseases. The connection between celiac disease and these
diseases may be genetic. These diseases include

* thyroid disease
*systemic lupus erythematosus
* type 1 diabetes
* liver disease
*collagen vascular disease
* rheumatoid arthritis
* Sjögren's syndrome
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) is a severe itchy, blistering
manifestation of celiac disease. The rash usually occurs on the elbows,
knees, and buttocks. Not all people with celiac disease develop
dermatitis herpetiformis. Unlike other forms of celiac disease, the
range of intestinal abnormalities in DH is highly variable, from minimal
to severe. Only about 20 percent of people with DH have intestinal
symptoms of celiac disease.

What are the symptoms of celiac disease?

Celiac disease affects people differently. Symptoms may occur in the digestive system, or in other parts of the body. For example, one person might have diarrhea and abdominal pain, while another person may be irritable or depressed. In fact, irritability is one of the most common symptoms in children.

Symptoms of celiac disease may include one or more of the following:

* gas
* recurring abdominal bloating and pain
* chronic diarrhea
* pale, foul-smelling, or fatty stool
* weight loss / weight gain
* fatigue
* unexplained anemia (a low count of red blood cells causing fatigue)
* bone or joint pain
* osteoporosis, osteopenia
* behavioral changes
* tingling numbness in the legs (from nerve damage)
* muscle cramps
* seizures
* missed menstrual periods (often because of excessive weight loss)
* infertility, recurrent miscarriage
* delayed growth
* failure to thrive in infants
* pale sores inside the mouth, called aphthous ulcers
* tooth discoloration or loss of enamel
* itchy skin rash called dermatitis herpetiformis

A person with celiac disease may have no symptoms. People without symptoms are still at risk for the complications of celiac disease, including malnutrition. The longer a person goes undiagnosed and untreated, the greater the chance of developing malnutrition and other complications. Anemia, delayed growth, and weight loss are signs of malnutrition: The body is just not getting enough nutrients. Malnutrition is a serious problem for children because they need adequate nutrition to develop properly. (See Complications.)

Why are celiac symptoms so varied?

Researchers are studying the reasons celiac disease affects people differently. Some people develop symptoms as children, others as adults. Some people with celiac disease may not have symptoms, while others may not know their symptoms are from celiac disease. The undamaged part of their small intestine may notbe able to absorb enough nutrients to prevent symptoms.

Celiac disease could be under diagnosed in the United States for a number
of reasons including:
* Celiac symptoms can be attributed to other problems.
* Many doctors are not knowledgeable about the disease
* Only a small number of U.S. laboratories are experienced and skilled in testing for celiac disease.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:47 PM   #4  

I thought high cortisol levels were the main reason for accumulating belly fat.

Are you stressed out?
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:58 PM   #5  

Sorry to hear about your Mom, Mel. Thanks for the information.

My trainer said that she had that roll of fat so she didn't wear tight-fitting tops to the gym. She noticed that when she was diagnosed with gluten-sensitivity and started to take glutens (including her beloved oatmeal!) out of her diet, she lost the "roll," but an insignificant amount of weight--two pounds in one year. Of course, that's one person's take on the subject. I'm pretty sure I'm sensitive to carbohydrates because I immediately gain weight when I eat a higher carbohydrate meal even when my calorie-count has been low. It's all so difficult.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:25 PM   #6  

Heck, my body is so senstive to chemicals in foods, if I don't eat clean it goes straight to the old gut.
buffedstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
I thought high cortisol levels were the main reason for accumulating belly fat.

Are you stressed out?
what are they??
marapets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:49 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Cortisol is a hormone released when we are stressed and can cause numerous unhealthy side effects including gaining weight... Here is a good articleThe Health Effects of Stress and Increased Cortisol
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:18 PM   #9  

I have PCOS, Type II Diabetes and excess tummy fat. I have just found out that I have Celiac disease and have been on the gluten free diet for about a week. I lost two pounds during the past weekend!

Eating is a challenge and I have to read every single label when I shop. So far I’ve been mixing a brown rice with veggies and eating that with a serving of fruit and my tummy likes it. Oatmeal can be iffy from what I’ve read, but it works for me. Rice pastas are kind of gummy, but an option for spaghetti with sauce. I miss the breads from Whole Foods, they were always my favorite.

The thing is, now I can’t have a lot of things I used to eat, like the bread with my pasta. I can see that my weight will continue to go down, as I am truly forced to eat more veggies and make smart choices.

I’m vegetarian and have the diabetes and celiac disease to watch. I was told to try some meats, but I can’t eat seafood because most of it I’m either allergic to or get sick from. My tummy doesn’t like red meat and the whole ethics thing comes into play as well (with any animal).

Finding foods to eat is going to be a challenge, but I’m going to keep positive about it because it will only make me healthy!

From everything I've read or been told by doctors, when you have the belly fat, you want to watch the carbs and really get active. Walking is what I'm doing and I am up to 3.5 miles now. I am taking it slow because I don't want to overdo it and irritate a couple old horseback riding injuries. I started running a few years ago and didn't take it slow and wound up unable to stand for long periods due to hip/knee/back issues. I know better now!

I'm seeing a change in my belly, I've lost a few inches since April, when I began to really exercise and left my husband, and my size 20 pants fall down low on my hips (I need a belt!). I can't wait to get a job so I can buy some clothes that fit! haha
Celesteral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:32 PM   #10  
Mel

Celestral- You can't eat the pasta, either! Unless it's rice-based pasta. There are LOTS of gluten free products out there, including breads and pastas. My problem is finding substitutions which give me as big a nutritional bang for the caloric buck.

On another note, an article I read in CSPI yesterday cites a study linking belly fat to consumption of trans fats.

Mel
Old 11-28-2006, 02:46 PM   #11  

Yep, no pasta unless it's rice based and so far the rice based hasn't been so good.

It will definitely take some time before I can find several edible choices!

I just started looking for an outfit to wear to my interview for a job this afternoon and so far none of my clothes I had to wear in Feb of this year fit, they are all too big! yay!

I still need something to wear though...
Celesteral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

I'm with Get n Healthy on the tummy tuck idea! The only problem is that I may have one more baby in the future, so I probably need to wait. But my skin looks stretched and I've never had so much fat on my stomach (til I had my baby this past year). I had lipo on the stomach about 7 years ago, and the removal of those fat cells from the tummy kept my stomach looking flat for years (til I got pregnant). That lipo was really really worth it because you can still look sexy with a curvy shape IF you dont have a fat stomach.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:13 PM   #13  

Being a vegetarian and having celiac disease sounds like a challenge! Do you eat beans with corn at all? I understand that is a complete protein. I eat soy cheese from Trader Joe's, egg whites, and fat-free cottage cheese for protein, if that helps.

I started on the gluten-free path this weekend also. So far it's been okay, although eating cream of rice cereal today made me feel a bit like a toddler. Luckily, I like it, and it's pretty filling. I think, however, it's more calories than oatmeal and probably not as nutritious. I hope that eliminating as many glutens as I can (so many hidden glutens!), combined with my level of activity (cardio 5-6 times a week, weight lifting 5-6 times a week, daily stretching) will remove the roll from around my waist. I'll let you know.

Edited to say: Shoot! Cream of rice has no fiber--just empty calories. Well, that was a bust. I'd love to find a hot cereal that is gluten-free with some fiber in it. Impossible??

Last edited by Sheila53; 11-28-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:31 PM   #14  
Mel

Sheila- Add some ground flax meal (2 tbs - 60 calories) or some psyllium husks to your cereal for fiber. Lack of fiber is one of the things that bugs me about the gluten free diet. I eat buckets of veggies, but I'm really missing my oatmeal and the measly 1/4 cup of fiber one I used to have!

Mel
Old 11-28-2006, 10:15 PM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

Sheila -- do you have Celiac disease too? Or are you just going Gluten free because it may get rid of the belly fat? I'm startingn to wonder about myself and wheat, it seems that as soon as I eat bread my belly fat feels thicker....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote