Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 01:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 305/301/199

Height: 5' 7''

Default First Post Ever - Confused, Scared - I think I'm keeping myself overweight

Ok, First I want to say that I have never posted here so I really hope I get this right. Also, I am not sure if this is where I should post this question but because I am doing WW I just took a chance and put it here. Please if I should be posting this somewhere else could someone please point me in the right direction. I have been reading post after post here this past week and have decided this is the place a person should be to find the information and more important the support to succeed. So anyway here's my question.

I have a question about excess skin after weight loss. Now mind you I don't have any yet, but I think that the fear of the excess skin flopping around may actually be one of the main factors in preventing me from succeeding at any weight loss program. I have watched many of those shows were the person loses all this weight and then goes to have it removed. The thought of going through one of those procedures scares the heck out of me, besides the fact that I could never afford it. But the thought of having all that excess skin also scares me.

My best friend tells me that I am over reacting and that as long as I lose at a slow pace 1 to 2 pounds a week that probably won't happen anyway. She says that she thinks its the people that lose big amounts quickly that end up with all the extra skin. For example people that have gastric-bypass. But then I watch the Biggest Loser and see Eric and Marty losing really quickly and they don't seem to have alot of extra skin. Is this just because they are working out so intensely? Does a person have to work out that intensely to look that good?

So can you see why I say confused and scared? Am I just being stupid or what? Does anyone have any advice or answers? Can anyone help releave these fears even a little. I just want to know what I can expect. Please !!!

I am at 303 right now. My goal for now is to just get to 199, I can't imagine being any smaller then that, at least not now. I was in a car accident in February that really messed up my left ankle and knee so high impact on those right now would be out of the question.

Anyway thanks to anyone that maybe has some answers or advice. And also once again I'm sorry if this isn't the right place or question.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:26 PM   #2  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Posting here is as good of a place to start as any!

I think you're nervous, understandably so, but you have to look at the bigger picture! Would you rather deal with some extra skin, and be around to enjoy your family? Or would you rather avoid the extra skin and have a short life? I know this sounds harsh, and believe me I don't mean it that way! I, too, have thought about the extra skin issue. I'm never going to be in that bikini that I wore as a teenager, but I look that the imperfections as battles hard-won! Some of that extra skin is proof positive that I've made amazing changes in my lifestyle ~ changes that I never thought were possible. My stretch marks and surgery scars are medals for having two awesome kids! Exercise and moisturize along the way; I believe this will reduce the amount of extra skin you have in the end. And remember, extra skin or not you'll be so much healthier in the long run!

Best of luck to you!!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #3  
One Martini at a Time...

nyGrace,
first of all . Second, it's understandable to be scared. I have been overweight most of my life, and it's hard to think to the future as a "thin person".

As for the skin, the best advice I can give you is drink a TON of water, and lose the weight slowly. Most of the people you see with a HEAP of excess skin, lost their weight very quickly. The skin is an organ, and responds like one. It's very elastic, which is how it got stretched out when we gained weight in the first place. While it's true that you might have some excess and will definately have stretch marks (I do) I think you should focus more on the here and now, and getting healthy in a sustainable, slow, measureable way.

Take care!

PS - Kelly is right. That excercise will help keep your muscles and the skin on top of them tight and alive!
Old 11-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #4  
a brave new me...

Healthy food choices, slower losses, aerobic activity, and strength training can help minimize the saggy skin. Your body needs time to adjust to the weight loss and some people who lose very quickly, especially without exercise end up looking like a deflated balloon although for others it may just be the type of skin they have. I think strength training is really key. I would set your sights very long term... a pound a week is a really reasonable goal once you get past these first few weeks but no more than 2 pounds a week. I would not let this fear stop you from trying... you have no idea how your body will respond to healthy eating and activity. Cross that bridge if you get to it! Right now focus on the positives and set small goals... start with meeting the WW program requirements like hitting your points everday, measuring portions, tracking intake, making low fat, high fiber, whole food choices, and drinking water.

Give yourself a few weeks of adjusting to the WW program before you tackle activity but then be sure to set some goals in about three to four weeks. I know most overweight people don't want to get into a swim suit... but water exercises are the best option for someone with an injury as there is no joint stress at all and the water will make you feel weightless, mobile, and wonderful. The water also provides natrual resistance so you can build your aerobic capacity while building muscle. Look for a water aerobics class at your local YMCA or aquatics center. I swim a couple times a week and it is an invigorating, amazing workout.

Last edited by Sojourner; 11-16-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #5  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Grace -

There is a great thread about skin here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36040

In the long run you may have to deal with some skin issues. It all depends on a myriad of factors. Personally I don't think you should dismiss your fears, but at the same time they hopefully shouldn't stand in your way to making the best overall choices for you. If you have 100 reasons to lose weight and a few not to, which makes sense to win out in the end?
Old 11-16-2006, 09:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/301/199

Height: 5' 7''

Thank You all so much for your replies and advice. Guess I just need to put my fears aside and take control. Getting healthy should definately be my first priority, I'll try not to worry about the skin till I get to that point.
Closed Thread