Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-14-2006, 08:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Default I'm getting a little anxious about Thanksgiving

We are going to the in-laws. Wed-Sat. Not sure what food will be on Wed, but it's likely to be huge ribeyes for dinner. Thursday is roast duck and all the other Thanksgiving stuff. Friday is dinner out at a greasy beer joint kind of place. Saturday will be leftovers and fend for yourself.

We have a six hour trip, so it's always difficult to contribute much that is fresh without having to stop on the way, shop, and cram things into the little available space.

This will be the first test to my new way of life. I haven't had a second of trouble these last three months. But I haven't been anywhere, either. I didn't think I'd have any problems, but that was before the emails started flying around about who is bringing what.

What are your coping plans?
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:52 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I'm still figuring out how to navigate through the holidays. I foudn this thread really helpful...
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97152
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:05 AM   #3  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Kateful....I understand the concept of everyone bringing something, and it's hard to take fresh veggies and stuff on a car trip, but there are a few things that you can do for YOU!

First, in your suitcase or one of your travel bags, make sure you have some smaller items you can eat. For example, I'm on WW (don't know what plan you follow!) so I would take some Special K bars or other 2 point items that I can just have with me and doesn't need to be refrigerated. Maybe eat one before you go down to lunch or dinner to curb your appetite! Small packets of oatmeal are also good for your breakfast....good for you and low in points. I understand not eating different foods for the big meals, but you can at least control other parts of your day!

For those big dinners, find out what you can bring or make that you can adjust to be a bit healthier. If you can't take the stuff with you, hit the grocery store after you get to your location and get settled in for the weekend. Offer to do a fresh veggie tray as a before dinner snack for everyone. You can almost binge on that and still be healthy, leaving very little room in your tummy for the unhealthy items that will be passed around the table at meal time!

Don't know if these suggestions will help, but I hope so! Good luck!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I usually have a TLC bar every day for breakfast, so I'll take some of those. That's a good idea. My FIL always makes a big brunch, which is essentially, lunch. Then everyone sort of eats a lunch type meal at 4 or so, with a very late dinner usually. I never, ever eat that way at home.

I'm counting calories, so there's nothing I "can't" eat, it's just that this will be a test of my ability to maintain this weight loss (for the first time in my life). It's much easier to do that when you don't have to ever venture out of your comfort zone.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I had to wrap my head around the concept that life is messy and complicated. I did not get heavy by 3-4 days of "bad" eating. I was heavy because I made decisions all day long, every day.

I started losing weight in July. I was carefully on plan until the Christmas holidays when I spent nearly 2 weeks in TX visiting my parents. I tried to be careful, but south + holidays = lots of food. Baked brie, cheese sticks, pie, eggnog...I ended up losing 2 lbs that week anyway.

Recently, my mom was here this weekend and I ate out a lot, ate a lot of foods I would normally not eat. Scale didn't budge.

It was hard for me to accept the idea that I could occasionally eat off plan without the sky falling. But it's true! Enjoy the holidays, make good decisions as much as you can and don't be anxious. The important thing is to plan how you will get right back on track when you get home! Every now and then, life will go offplan, it's your reaction that is key!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:32 PM   #6  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Glory you said it! That is exactly how I plan on handling my holiday season. I will try not to over do anything, but I also want to enjoy my holidays and not worry and freak out if I don't follow my plan. I won't be traveling so I will be able to workout before dinner an after!

Kate my best advice is to try and find a way to go for a walk, if the weather doesn't permit try stretching for about 10 minutes.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/188/150

Height: 5'7

Glory, I think I am in that place now that you talk about. I very much am an emotional eater. I have an 'all or nothing' attitude. I am working on it though.

I am worried about Thanksgiving. I am worried I will use it as an excuse to totally ditch my diet/excercise plan. I pray (PRAY!) that THIS is the time that it CLICKS for me, and I get it.
judes26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #8  
Vegan

S/C/G: 255/Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

I know the feeling. I am leaving for texas the day after Christmas and will be gone for 12 days. every day down there it is tough to stick to a diet, at all. My fiance's mom actually asked if chicken fried chicken was OK on our very lowfat diet - because it is chicken, not red meat - bless her heart.
To top it off we are getting married the day before New years down there and we have to visit with a million relatives, go out to eat a lot, etc. I'm very scared. I'm going to have to accept that I'm going to gain a little and work my buns off to get my weight- and high cholesterol - down as SOON as I get back. Hello gym.
kierr is offline   Reply With Quote