Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 11-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #1  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

Default Any other big pregnancy gainers out there? 80 pounds?

This is my fourth pregnancy (third baby, one was stillborn) and have come to terms with the fact I gain a HUGE amount each time. Each time I started at 120, then 130 and ended up 200 pounds on birthing day.

This time I started at 150 and am up to 175 at 21 weeks. I'm afraid I'll be over 200 by March this time. There comes a point in my second and third trimesters when I seriously gain 10 pounds every four weeks.

I know its a combination of eating heartily and very low activity.

But, I found my way back to 3FC. I didn't realize there was a pregnancy forum. So maybe I can make some changes to slow things down, even this late in the game?

Goals?

I could utilize the gym membership I neglect and do a little low impact exercise on a machine.

Calories?

This I am never quite sure of. 5'3" 175 pounds and in the second trimester, with very low activity. any ideas?
CoolMom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations on your pregnancy luv. I had a baby girl 5 months ago and I also gained a lot of weight (about 65 pounds). I started out already 10 pounds higher than my ideal, and the weight just steadily piled on every day. What with the nausea (which lasted all day and night) and lack of energy, I would just try to eat what made me feel better. And from the back aches, feet aches, swelling, etc. I just couldn't work out. I tried a few times but the effort was futile overall as I usually didn't feel well enough. I've taken off 40 pounds since the birth, 30 of which came off in the first 2 weeks (this number includes the weight of the actual baby LOL). I have 30 more to lose and it is very slow and hard going, but it is starting to come off with this latest effort of logging everything I eat and working out more regularly. Anyway, my view is that you should give yourself a break when your pregnant and just try to get through it the best way you can. Forget counting calories, just limit simple carbs like white bread and all junk if possible, but otherwise I think you should eat what you feel you need. Some people just are bound to gain a lot of weight when they're pregnant (my sister has always been a size 0 to 4 and she gained 65 pounds also). Don't feel bad about it. Just keep in mind that the more junk you eat, the more you will have to take off later. "And it aint easy getting it off!"
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:58 PM   #3  

Thank you for the nice response. I hear ya.

And today I'm doing my best to keep it healthy. Good for you losing 40! The first time, I did Weight Watchers, and the second time I just used Fitday and did it on my own. I'm not sure its going to be enough for me this time. I need the support.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:02 PM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I stuck it out with my exercise throughout pregnancy, up until the final month, when I just couldn't get out of bed. And I continued to eat healthy foods...just massive amounts of them. I always felt as if I was starving. I had a craving for cold and sweet so I used sugar free popsicles. I'm talking a box every day or two! And I still gained 62 pounds. 30 of it dropped off on it's own in the first week and I had to work on the rest.

I don't know why some of us feel so extremely hungry during pregnancy and pack on so many pounds. I have a feeling if I hadn't stuck out exercise though and stuck with lean meats and lotsa fruits and veggies, that 62 would have been quite a bit higher. And I'm not sure I could have handled that. As it was, I felt as if I'd swallowed an extremely heavy beach ball. I had to wear a support belt to hold my belly and support my back. Yikes!
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:18 PM   #5  

Its so strange to gain so much in such a short period of time too, isn't it? It feels like a fat suit, and skinny me is trapped inside.

After the first pregnancy, when I went from 120 to 200, I tried to dash across the street in my usual fashion, and felt my butt clapping behind me! LOL (note to self: don't run like that again, until I firm up a little.)
Old 11-14-2006, 08:44 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Basically-we are not eating for "two" we are eating for one and about 1/8th. That is the way it SHOULD be, anyways. Since 2000 calories a day is supposed to be an "average" diet for the average woman maintaining a normal weight-you are supposed to add about 200-300 calories to that in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy. Not eating double what you normally would. So, try to aim for around 2200-2500 per day.

If you are gaining 2.5 pounds per week-or 10 pounds a month-then you are probably way overeating. If you are having problems with feeling hungry-eat low calorie foods with "bulk" to help you feel fuller. Fruit, oatmeal...things that filly you up quickly. You could eat a HUGE bowl of oatmeal for under 300 calories (a double serving) for what a 1/2 cup of premium ice cream, or a candy bar would be-and stay fuller MUCH longer.

I gained about 60 pounds with my first pregnancy-because I ate whatever I wanted, and didn't exercise. I learned my lesson on babies #2 an #3. I watched what I ate, and continued to exercise throughout. I actually taught dance lessons up until I started labor-I had to call my class members and tell them I was dilated to 3cm and in early labor, and that class was cancelled. With this pregnancy I gained about 45 pounds-but that is much better than the 60 the first time around. 15 pounds is 15 pounds!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:47 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolMom75 View Post
Its so strange to gain so much in such a short period of time too, isn't it? It feels like a fat suit, and skinny me is trapped inside.

After the first pregnancy, when I went from 120 to 200, I tried to dash across the street in my usual fashion, and felt my butt clapping behind me! LOL (note to self: don't run like that again, until I firm up a little.)
I had a similar gain after my first pg (at least, I startedat 120 and now I'm over 200). And this is why I DON'T run unless it's an emergency!
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:48 PM   #8  

Good stuff! Thank you. Yep, that's me...eating for 1/8, minus the 1/. Okay, I'll have to start using fitday again and see where I'm at (scary!). Its good to have a ball park figure of the 2200-2500, to start. That helps!
Old 11-29-2006, 12:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 152/142/125

Height: 5'4

I remember being pregnant and walking A LOT. I was 130 when I got pregnant and 180 before I gave birth 2 months ago.....I walked everyday for about 30 minutes, in humid weather mind you, and the weight I gained was mostly on my hips and belly...Everyone told me I looked 5 months pregnant and not 9 months. If only they knew I was 180lbs.
Julia123 is offline   Reply With Quote