General chatter - What's Your Favorite Movie Of All-Time?

rockinrobin
11-12-2006, 07:20 AM
Hi everybody. I absolutely hate going to the movies. Haven't been to a movie theater in years. Of course I think my weight is partially to blame for that (I always hated those tiny seats). But I think it's more that I don't have any patience for mediocre movies. I need something really fantastic to keep me interested and entertained (definitely a little A.D.D. thing going on here). So we do rent movies occasionally and I always fall asleep, unless of course it's an excellent movie. So you have you got any ideas on what would be a good rental? It could be new or old. What is your all-time favorite movie?

I think I have 2: Forrest Gump and Shawshank Redemption - I would never fall asleep during those movies.

boiaby
11-12-2006, 10:11 AM
American Beauty
50 First Dates
Steel Magnolias
Fried Green Tomatoes
Dirty Dancing
Ghost
A League Of Their Own
Poltergeist

That's all I can think of right now, along with your two picks of course, both excellent movies IMO.

Beverly

Suzanne 3FC
11-12-2006, 10:59 AM
I also love Shawshank Redemption :) Some other really good movies that have never put me to sleep:
Empire of the Sun
Billy Elliot (british movie, should be easy to find at blockbuster or netflix)
The Pianist (Adrian Brody)

Those are the best ones that come to mind.

DebbieII
11-12-2006, 11:23 AM
I LOVE Billy Elliot!

About a Boy (another British movie, Hugh Grant)
Beaches
Dirty Dancing
Forrest Gump
28 Days (Sandra Bullock)
I'll stop there or the list will go on forever.

junebug41
11-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Suzanne- you are the only other person I've met that likes (or has even seen) that movie.

Along with that one is Almost Famous and Running On Empty.

LindaT
11-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Oh boy movies. I am partial to old ones, as you'll see:

Dr. Zhivago
The King and I
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Imitation of Life - worth it just to hear the fabulous voice of Mahalia Jackson
Almost any version of The Christmas Carol
Cheesy Godzilla flicks - the cheesier the better :D

And that's it for now. ;)

Suzanne 3FC
11-12-2006, 12:32 PM
I'm glad to know there are other Billy Elliot fans! No matter how many times I see it, I always cry like a baby at the end :lol:

Oh Linda, you mentioned two other favorites, Dr Zhivago and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers!

I also LOVE old silent movies :)

mom2cole
11-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Recently watched The Departed at the theater it was pretty good. I love:
Dances With Wolves
Girl Interrupted
Walk the Line

rockinrobin
11-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Hmm, this Billy Elliot sounds interesting.

And yes how could I have forgotten American Beauty?

And I know you might think this is a silly one, but it never puts me to sleep no matter how many times I see it: Home Alone - love it.

buckettgirl
11-12-2006, 01:01 PM
IF I had to pick just one movie that I couldn't live without:
Christmas Vacation
That is the funniest movie I've ever seen!
Other movies:
Something's Gotta Give
Walk the Line
Kill Bill vol 1 and 2 (that movie really wowed me!!)
Steel Magnolias
ET
The Matrix (just the first one, I saw it in the theatre 3 times!)
Pretty Woman
Grease
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
And any Stephen King movie
**I do also really like Shawshank, Dances with Wolves, Ghost, and American Beauty (I just saw this one last week).

jillybean720
11-12-2006, 02:10 PM
I'll preface this by saying that Jeff and I are movie freaks :p We have Netflix, and since I met him (just over 2.5 years ago), I've probably seen more movies than in the rest of my life combined :dizzy: We love horror movies (cheesy ones, slasher ones, Japanese ones, realistic ones, paranormal ones...you name it) and have been known to watch some really out-there things that no one's heard of (today we watched Cannibal: The Musical :D ).
As for favorites, I'd have to move the following toward the top of my list:

The NeverEnding Story (only the original--this has been my favorite since I was about 4-5 years old...I even once had a fish named Falcor)
2LDK
High Tension
The Hills Have Eyes (this was the only horror movie to ever make me cry--we're still waiting for the original to come in Netflix, but the remake was amazing in the theater)
Battle Royale (looks like they're doing an American remake of this tentatively set for release in 2008, but I really like the Japanese one just fine)
Brick
Little Miss SunshineThere are tons more, but my lunch is ready :p

lilybelle
11-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Ordinary People
Shawshank Redemption
Titanic
Sleeping with the Enemy
Fried Green Tomatoes
Forrest Gump
Dirty Dancing
Sling Blade
Steel Magnolias
A Few Good Men
Pretty Woman
Taps
The Shining , the Exorcist, Carrie
The Green Mile
Monster's Ball

I love movies, but I am very bad to fall asleep if they aren't great. My DH loves sci-fi but I don't like those at all.

oc cutiepie
11-12-2006, 04:39 PM
:love:
I love movies and I just love going the movies. With friends or alone. I get completely wrapped up in a good movie I forget where I am. I have a huge lists of favorites but here is a mini list of movies I could just watch over and over and over:

An Affair to Remember
Amelie
Mean Girls
Undercover Blues
What A Girl Wants
Cool Hand Luke
Happenstance
Harold And Kumar Go to White Castle
Philadelphia Story
Christmas Vacation
It's A Wonderful Life
Shakes the Clown
Legally Blonde
Peyton Place
Fighting Temptations
Transporter
and of course with Thanksgiving coming up. The classic:
TRAINS PLANES AND AUTOMOBILES. :corn:

FrouFrou
11-12-2006, 04:44 PM
I can't choose just one favorite movie...but these are ones I will and have watched over and over and anytime they are on:

Sleepless in Seattle
While You Were Sleeping
Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Story

Those four have to be my all time favs!

I also like:

Titanic
Little Miss Sunshine (Plan on getting the DVD as soon as it comes out)
You've Got Mail
Vegas Vacation
Home Alone I & II

Silng Blade is good, Green Mile too...love both those.

Can't think of a lot even though I frequent the theaters. We are die hard movie fans...all kinds. I love a good love story, drama or scary movie. Haven't seen a "real" scary movie in ages though. Saw Grudge II and it was sort of funny. Also, saw Saw I & II, The Hills Have Eyes..stupid...okay anyone who gets off a main highway in the middle of the desert, come on. Too many to name though.

Depends on what you like though. Everyones taste is different and while I will watch my favs over and over and over all the way thru...others may think they are stupid so...

FrouFrou
11-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Cutiepie....how could I forget Planes, Trains & Automobiles?! That too is another I watch over and over. Really need to buy the DVD. And...Harold & Kumar go to White Castle...just watched that on directv a few nights ago...too funny! And to add to the list again:

Uncle Buck
TommyBoy

Chris Farley and John Candy are two favs I love to watch!

oc cutiepie
11-12-2006, 05:01 PM
That's it I have to see Little Miss Sunshine. Everyone keeps mentioning that one!!
Oh I loved Uncle Buck. John Candy was a genius. So I have to also throw in Great Outdoors!

EZMONEY
11-12-2006, 05:14 PM
It is rare that I watch a movie more than once ~ I watch Uncle Buck everytime I catch it on!! For some reason I just loved that movie...poor bug!!

Bought the DVD of Cars last night and watched it, LOVED IT!!

Angie and I love all the chick flicks...anything with Meg, Julia, Sandra, J-Lo, Tom and Hugh.

famograham
11-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Lord of the Rings

Nothing else compares for me.

There are about a milloin others that I love dearly though
The Abyss (there's a great extended version with stuff I never saw before)
The Green Mile
Jacob's Ladder
Session 9 (Jillybean....have you seen this one?)
The Notebook

Oh....Geez...I worked in video stores for years, I need to stop this or I'll be here ALL night :lol:

Linda

lizziness
11-12-2006, 05:56 PM
jilly - i looooved Battle Royale, I can't imagine an american version we'll see.... the sequel and it was awful. I love Japanese movies, especially horror.

My favorite movies:

Donnie Darko
Harold and Maude
RHPS
Chocolat
Office Space
Elizabethtown

And since it's almost time for it, my favorite christmas movie is Mixed Nuts.

Marianna
11-12-2006, 06:21 PM
I think my all time favourite movie would have to be Amelie.. it is very beautiful

NotTheCheat
11-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Holy Grail, Amelie, Chocolat and Harold and Maude are all great ones.

A few of my favorites are:

Lawrence of Arabia
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Usual Suspects
Master and Commander (mostly because I am in love with the books)
Dogma
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Shall We Dance (original Japanese version)

lilybelle
11-13-2006, 03:05 AM
i can't believe I left out: Christmas Vacation, we start watching at Thanksgiving each yr. and see it numerous times by Christmas. Also, Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a favorite of mine too. Also, loved Cast Away. Saturday Night Fever, Pulp Fiction and Foot Loose, What's Eating Gilbert Grape.
My DH's favorite movie is Highlander. I can't count the times he's fallen asleep and still being saying every word to it in his sleep.

jillybean720
11-13-2006, 05:26 AM
Oooh, Highlander--wouldn't make my top movies of all time, but I definitely love them (and the tv series...mmmm, Adrian Paul...;) ).

I'd also like to add some Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino flicks (I see some already mentioned):
Dogma
Mallrats
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill (as much as I can't stand Uma Thurman)

Also:
yup, Lord of the Rings (I especially liked the second one, The Two Towers)
Go
Ocean's Eleven
10 Things I Hate About You
Igby Goes Down
many animated movies (Aladdin; Monsters, Inc.; Finding Nemo; A Bug's Life)

famograham--yup, I've seen both Jacob's Ladder and Session 9, although I think my boyfriend built them up a bit too much, so I wasn't particularly impressed, I guess :^:

liz321
11-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Life is Beautiful....

Liz

techwife
11-13-2006, 09:22 AM
You Lord of the Rings fans...I have to brag (because I live in a dinky, tiny town without even a flashing yellow light at the main intersection and exciting things are FAR and few between) that Viggo's father lives around the corner from me and we have MANY 'Viggo Sightings' around here. I, personally, haven't see him, but one of my best friends graduated from Watertown High School with him and he dated one of her girlfriends for a while. She said he was a straight A student and captain of the swim team and that he was a really quiet guy...sort of shy. He also did a massive art display at our North Country Children's Clinic...he's very talented. Just had to add that...our winters get very long and tedious and some days that road from WAtertown to my town is long, cold, grey, flat, everything's dead...but it's the road Viggo takes to get to his dad's house...and that warms everything up nicely... ;)

Anyhow...

My favorite movie of all time is My Cousin Vinny. Well, I watched it again recently and I didn't pee my pants like I nearly did in the theater when I saw it the first time, but that Joe Pesci is SOOOOO frikken funny.

Lately, I saw The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and wasn't expecting much, but LOVED it. I also loved Monster in Law. Any movie where Hanoi Jane gets hit in the face with a frying pan is okay in my book! :lol3: REally, I'm not a fan of hers, but she was GREAT in the movie.

I also love the Harry Potter movies. Goblet of Fire is the best by far.

I like movies that are funny because I hate being stressed out. But I love when they have a good twist...like Sixth Sense. And, has anyone see The Island with Ewen McGregor and Scarlett Johanssen? GREAT movie.

I could never pick a favorite. But these are some I like best at the moment.

melekalikimaka
11-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Techwife, I'm coming over to try and get a glimpse of Viggo... :woohoo:

I like comedies,dramas and foreign films, but two of my favorites of all time are Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Stand By Me. Whenever I feel down I can just watch those and laugh my butt off.

Another Billy Elliot fan here :wave:, some of my other favs already mentioned were Life is Beautiful, Chocolat and 28 Days....

other films that I really enjoyed were The Perfect Crime, The Full Monty, Much Ado About Nothing, The Chorus and Crash.

Former video store clerk here so I could go on and on and on... gotta get ready for work.

nelie
11-13-2006, 11:43 AM
I can't believe no one mentioned Pirate of the Caribbean! Although it is partly one of my favorites because of Johnny Depp and partly one of my favorites because I rode the ride at Disneyland so many times over my lifetime :)

Ok so my favorites are:
- Pirates of the Caribbean ( the sequel is pretty good too)
- Gladiator
- Muriel's Wedding (similar to my big fat greek wedding but better)
- The Long Kiss Goodnight
- Point of no return (the french version is amusing but I like this one better)
- Girl, Interrupted
- Shakespeare in Love
- As good as it gets
- City of Angels
- Kill Bill
- Life is Beautiful (I cried! but how can you not?)
- Napoleon Dynamite (DF is in love with this movie, I like it)
- Tombstone
- The Wedding Singer
- Donnie Brasco
- Ever After
- Memento
- Original Sin (some very steamy scenes! I rented this and I had only seen it on cable, woah is all I can say)
- Unfaithful (another one with some steamy scenes)
- March of the Penguins (awesome documentary and how can you not love penguins?)

Older movies (classics!):
- Silence of the lambs
- Terminator
- Ghostbusters
- Indiana Jones (raiders of the lost ark and the last crusade)
- Back to the Future (all of them are good, favorite is the original)
- Star Wars (any of them are good, my favorite is the original, episode 4)

Some recent ones I've seen that I'm not sure if they are favorites yet:
- V for Vendetta
- Run Lola Run

Kid movies
- Lilo and Stitch
- Stuart Little
- The Dark Crystal
- Secret of NIMH

Jacqui_D
11-13-2006, 12:09 PM
My favorite of ALL time is The Wizard of OZ. Other classic favorites are Gone with the Wind, It Happened One Night, Charlie Chaplin's The Kid, and anything with Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. My modern favorites are O Brother Where Art Thou?, Moulin Rouge, and Napoleon Dynamite.

jillybean720
11-13-2006, 12:15 PM
- Gladiator
- Napoleon Dynamite
- March of the Penguins (awesome documentary and how can you not love penguins?)
- V for Vendetta
Also all excellent choices! Oh, and I'd also like to add Sin City to the list (V for Vendetta reminded me of it--both based on graphic novels, any my boyfriend is a comic book geek, so we saw both on opening weekend :p ).

nelie
11-13-2006, 12:20 PM
DF and I weren't sure what to make out of Sin City. It was very strange but was done in a very interesting way.

HarpoChicoGroucho
11-13-2006, 12:39 PM
My favorites (in no paticular order ;))
Quills
Trois coleurs: Rouge
Breakfast at Tiffany's
On the Waterfront
La Dolce Vita
Lawrence of Arabia
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Casablanca
Citizen Kane (I know -- so cliche :rolleyes:)
La Strada
Big Fish
Dr. Stranglove
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Unico and the island of magic
Sunset Blvd.
Y tu mama tambien
Pulp Fiction (cliche again - but I love it)
Amores Perros (YOU'VE GOT TO SEE THIS ONE)
A Charlie Brown Christmas
Finding Neverland
The Bicycle Thief (Another must-see)
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Monkey Business (I've got to put a Marx bros. film on here ;))
Requiem for a Dream
Singin' in the Rain
The Triplets of Belleville
Little Miss Sunshine
The Godfather
Good Night, and Good Luck

Michelle
11-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Pretty Woman, An Officer & A Gentleman, Pearl Harbor and The Notebook:p

Tisha___
11-13-2006, 03:22 PM
I really like most of the movies already listed, so I'll just add a few here.

I'm usually the oddball in that I really dislike Johnny Depp for the most part. The only two movies of his that I really like are What's Eating Gilbert Grape? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108550/) and Donnie Brasco (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119008/). Donnie Brasco is HIGHLY underrated, IMO. Not only is Johnny Depp good in it, so are Al Pacino and Anne Heche.

My two ALL TIME favorite movies are The World According to Garp (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084917/), which features Robin Williams (before he got too goofy for film), Glenn Close (as Garp's mother), and John Lithgow (as... well, you'll just have to see.) I know a lot of people say that the movie doesn't compare to the book. But, I saw the movie LONG before I read the book and I liked the movie a **** of a lot more than I did the book.

My other ALL TIME fave is The Big Lebowski (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118715/). With this one, well, it depends on what kind of sense of humor you have. But if you're open minded, it's worth a rental for sure.

sapphire9
11-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Oh, did someone mention "The Triplets of Belleville"? I loved that movie.
The Apartment
An Affair to Remember
Interlude
The Cardinal
Swingtime
White Christmas
Daddy Long Legs
Jules & Jim
Belle du Jour
Shoot the Piano Player
Darling
Dr. Zhivago
Help
A Hard Day's Night
The Bliss of Mrs. Blossom
Funny Girl
Three Coins in the Fountain
Summertime
Funny Face
All the Doris Day/Rock Hudson/Tony Randall/James Garner movies
All the Harry Potter movies
Lost in Translation
I'll stop -- my list is endless.

phantastica
11-14-2006, 03:38 PM
I too recommend Harold and Maude, Office Space, American Beauty, Shawshank Redemption, and Life is Beautiful. And Quills! Awesome call, HGC!

Not mentioned yet:
Corndog Man
A Clockwork Orange
The Ice Storm
Pay It Forward
Magnolia
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
City of God
Fight Club
The Village

oc cutiepie
11-14-2006, 09:49 PM
I forgot Office Space! Oh and put me in for My Big Fat Greek Wedding, too!

NemesisClaws
11-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Ahh....interesting selection among everyone's favorites! Mine is as follows:

The Shining (Both early and late versions)
The Stand
Pride and Prejudice (British version--absolutely faithful to the book! All others just pale in comparisons)
The 10th Kingdom
Only You
Any Sherlock Holmes movies
Any Miss Marple movies
Any Hercule Poirot movies
M*A*S*H series
Babylon 5 series
Clue
Ghost Ship
National Treasure
The 5th Element
Any Murder, She Wrote series
And for relaxation when I'm doing work around the house, country music videos with subtitles! :)

GoingGoal
11-15-2006, 12:34 PM
I love Always with Richard Dryfus and Michael with John Trovolta. I could, and have, watch them 100 times. :)

CrispyMama
11-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Loved The 5th Element!

Also the BBC Pride and Prejudice.

That brings me to Bridget Jones Diary (modern day Pride and Prejudice)

Sense and Sensabilities (however it is you spell that)
Notting Hill
Love Actually (hmm...seeing Hugh Grant pattern, weird)
Chicago
Joy Luck Club (for when you need a good cry)
Supper Size Me
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Gone With The Wind
A Christmas Story
French Kiss

Favorite of all time would have to be Shawshank Redemption.

CrispyMama
11-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Was Billy Elliot the little boy who wanted to dance ballet? Loved it!

Rosario
11-16-2006, 03:47 PM
phantastica - I watched City of GOd for the first time not too long ago. All I could say was "WOW" very awesome movie.

Mine are:

Pulp Fiction
Maria Full of Grace<-----I can watch this over and over again
Nightmare Before Christmas
Saving Private Ryan
Schindler's List
Motorcycle Diaries<------this one too
Scarface
Saved!
Mean Girls
Dazed and Confused
Dawn of the Dead <----and this one!
Valley Girl <---so cheesy, But I love it!

NotTheCheat
11-16-2006, 03:50 PM
I forgot to add Truly Madly Deeply to my list. It is definitely one of my all time favorites.

lilybelle
11-16-2006, 03:55 PM
I forgot to add: The Man in the Moon, Silence of the Lambs, the Patriot, Ode to Billy Joe, Of Mice and Men, and One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest.

Kim_Star060404
11-16-2006, 04:15 PM
My all time favorite is The Nightmare Before Christmas.

I also loved:

Chocolat
Memoirs of a Geisha
Alice in Wonderland
Royal Wedding
Harold and Kumar go to White Castle
The Three Muskateers

There's so many more, I'm just having a brain fart right now!

Bravelilchicken
11-16-2006, 09:38 PM
A Christmas story. I watch it as many times as it is on. This area it is on for 24 hours solid on Christmas day and I watch it all day. Much to hubby and kids annoyance.
You'll shoot your eye out.
He looks like a pink nightmare. Love Love Love it!

Sakai
11-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Ella Enchanted (Such a cute and funny movie)
A Feast at Midnight
Labyrinth
Nanny McFee
Resident Evil (If you like Zombie movies, I don't but this was good.)
And my All time favorite movie that I watch over and over again and never get tired of...
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
(I never did like the remake as much as the first.)