Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-10-2006, 06:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Target heart rate question

Okay, so I figured out my target heart rate.....suppose to be at 134. Is it bad to be going above this? How far above can I go without hurting myself? My average has been about 165.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:11 PM   #2  
Meg

Question first: how did you get to your target heart rate number? What formula did you use?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I usually average about 160-170 too. I just try to keep it in the range where i can talk but cant sing.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:35 PM   #4  

I used the (220-age)X 70% that was listed in the fitness fundamentals sticky on this forum. Thanks
Old 11-11-2006, 12:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 227/153/135

Height: 5'7"

To piggyback onto Canfield's question....Does anyone use medication for ADHD? The reason I ask is because I am off the charts ADHD & am on Adderall, which is a stimulant. My heart rate is always higher than the "220-43 (my age) x 75-80%" total but I don't feel completely wasted after 60 minutes at 95%. I do try to follow a high intensity model when I work out and I make sure I take my hr down to about 80% (151 bpm for me) or less periodically.

I would love some input if any of you have experience here.
OnePerDecade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #6  

bp
Old 11-12-2006, 05:37 PM   #7  
Meg

One, I think that might be a good question for your doctor. It certainly seems logical that the Adderall would speed up your heart rate and make standard HR tables pretty useless in your case.

Canfield, a couple of things ... first of all, I don't think you need to be concerned at all about your heart rate. When people first start exercising (I don't know if you're fairly new at this or not ), they often have very high heart rates because their hearts - which are muscles - are so deconditioned. As you become more cardiovascularly fit, your heart rate tends to drop, both resting and upon exertion. So you may see your heart rate drop over the next few months, even if you're working as hard or harder than you are now. It's a good thing!

Second, that formula is just an estimate of what your max heart rate is. We wouldn't know for sure unless we took you to a lab and hooked you up to all sorts of equipment measuring your O2 input and output while you exercised - not real practical for most of us! You're really not going to hurt anything even if you exercise at or above your theoretical max (I do it sometimes). Target heart rates are really designed to get people to work harder, not to back off.

Third, I'm going to have to disagree with the sticky's formula for finding a target heart rate. 70% of max is low intensity exercise - I think most people would benefit from working out at a higher intensity, at least part of the time. Here's how I was taught to classify heart rate:

65 - 75% max = low intensity exercise
75 - 85% max = moderate intensity
85 - 90% max = high intensity

The higher the intensity, the more calories you'll burn - a good thing! My recommendation to clients is to do most of their cardio in the moderate intensity range, with bursts of high intensity intervals thrown in periodically.

Let's see, I'm guessing that you're 24, right? If that's the case, your 165 is right around 85% of your max heart rate and that's a great place to be. Throw in some high intensity intervals and you'll do fantastically well!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:12 PM   #8  

THANK YOU!!
Quote:
When people first start exercising (I don't know if you're fairly new at this or not ), they often have very high heart rates because their hearts - which are muscles - are so deconditioned.
I actually started biking this summer, I never paid attention to my heart rate.......I just wanted to get moving! But I got a cross trainer in September and I am still figuring out how to use all the buttons I was just very surprised and concerned at the difference in numbers because my resting heart rate is great, I've never had problems with high blood pressure.
I am 28 years old, so I am doing good I do get up higher in intensity, but my average has been 165. I just want to make sure I'm doing this right!
THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!