Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 01:27 PM   #1  
One Martini at a Time...

Default Why do YOU love WW?

I got to thinking this yesterday, after having a conversation with my boss about what he was doing to lose weight. A few weeks after I started working here, i found out that a coworker was a lifetime member and my boss was going to meetings, so we were encouraging each other. Then he gave up and started one of the 500 glycemic index diets.
Now, I belive that there are great things about the glycemic index diets, where you monitor what different foods do to your bodies, but after he tells me yesterday:
"well I lost 7.2 pounds last week. Sometimes what I'm eating is bland and boring, but I lost 7.2 pounds! I can't drink beer, I can't eat fries at the baseball game, or enjoy the holiday party as much but HEY I lost 7.2 pounds."

My mother has been doing South Beach. She's lost a bit of weight but half of the things in her cabinets make me cringe:

1. Fat Free Half and Half. WHAT the He*/ is in FAT FREE HALF AND HALF? I can't even pronounce them!
2. Everything has Splenda in it. I'm ok with a Sobe Lean or a Diet Rite every now and then, but every day all day? Yeck.
3. There is only so much pasta I can't eat before I go in to withdrawels.

Now maybe it's me BUT i'd so much rather:

1. Have a fabulous weekend wine tasting with friends and still lose 1.8 lbs
2. Eat a little bit of whatever I want
3. Learn healthy eating habits that I can stick with
4. Eat REAL food that doesn't come from a laboratory!

Ok rant over, but why do YOU love WW?

Old 11-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

I started going to meetings about a month ago. I'm so happy I did...why do I love WW?

1. I can eat anything I want, as long as I figure the points. This allows me to really think about how I want to spend my points.
2. I feel in control, even if I mess up, it's easier to get back on the wagon.
3. There aren't so many rules. I can't do lists of what I can and cannot eat. I'll want the forbidden foods because they are forbidden.
4. I can eat "real people" food. I can go prepackaged if I want, but I don't have to eat special foods.
5. Silly reason: but I love trying to see if I can get all my water, oils, fruits and vegetables and milks in. Like a little game.
6. I'd much rather lose 2 lbs a week than 7...such fast weight loss makes me nervous, I'm not sure how healthy it is..and will it stay off?
7. Meetings rule. There are people bigger than me, smaller, older, younger, men and women....no one judges, but everyone supports.
8. This is something I can do for life.
9. When someone reaches ' lifefime', the leader and everyone at hte meetings doesn't dismiss it. We all know what an accomplishment that is.
10. I'm with you on the pasta thing. I know people who plan to go through life with no breads, pastas, or potatoes. That, to me, is not a happy existence.
11. I can go out and about with others and eat. No one has to make special meals for me during family functions, nor do I have to bringmy own if I don't want to.
12. I'm never hungry and I feel better eating better foods.
13. I haven't been good about it lately, but generally I exersize more. The activity points allow me to "see" my accomplishments

Last week I gained major weight. I had lost 8.5 and gained 9 back in one week. However, it was TOM, I did over eat, I had salty foods, and my meeting is right after work, and I tend to take lunch late....but no matter what, I was really happy I wieghed in, and I totally knew it was going to be Ok

Last edited by Optical Goddess; 11-10-2006 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Forgot one
Old 11-10-2006, 03:29 PM   #3  

I feel so good on core - flex was horrible. Don't deal well with junk or do well with flex points. I'm much healthier on core than I was on flex. I lost 200 pounds and kept it off for nearly 30 years now because I learned to eat healthy and stay away from a lot of foods except on a once a month basis ( like desserts). WW probably hates me because I have never stopped going and they have always update my materials when new ones come out. I've bought some cookbooks and magazines, but none of those foods things they sell so they've lost money on me.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:13 PM   #4  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Hhmmm, why do I love WW? I'm not sure I can put it all into words! I never tried to lose weight before, this is my first go-around at it. When I walked into that first meeting, I was immediately treated like family. I was welcomed and encouraged! I thought I would go to a meeting and get the info, then go it on my own. I haven't missed a week yet, and don't intend to. I've even started hitting a mid-week meeting if I'm off work. I'm addicted!

Today I received my 10% keychain. My leader was almost in tears, as was I, as she stood there hugging and congratulating me. Wow, the feeling was incredible!

There are so many more reasons to list, but I think the heart of the group is the main reason I love it!
Old 11-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/174.6/140

Height: 5'8"

I love WW because it makes me feel healthy, it's a lifestyle that I can live with, and I don't have to have special meals when I'm with friends and family. This has been the only diet program that I have lost weight and actually kept it off. And when I do gain here and there, I don't have to feel bad because I know the plan is there for me along with this great group of people.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #6  

I love weight watchers because I feel like a real person again. Eating real food and becoming healthier for it. I'm more active then I've ever been and I feel in control of food instead of always feeling like it controlled me. You can have anything your want so there is no depriving yourself. It's just a matter of learning your can't have it all in one sitting LOL.

I don't have to eat "diet" food. Like splenda YUK! Ok, now I know there are some people that like that stuff so I shouldn't have said it but for me I'd rather have the sugar in my coffee - and 1 tsp is only 15 calories or 0 points. Upto a Tbsp is 1 point. So I do have to be careful but I can still have the real thing is my point.

And the support from the meetings and leaders and staff go without saying.

I've been doing weight watchers for many many years. I'm only 10 lbs from getting back to goal (after baby #1). I wouldn't do it any other way.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:47 PM   #7  
a brave new me...

I love the flex plan and I especially love the optional 35 points. It allows me to splurge on a meal out or party. I am not at all worried about Thanksgiving because I know I can do the whole week on program even with a larger holiday meal. I also really love the WW online tools... I have the monthly pass and track everything online. I used to hate tracking and now I love it. I love that it automatically accounts for exercise... I have really been exercising and earning extra points which I do eat and still lose the weight. At the end of my sixth week I was down 12.8 pounds... a much higher average then when I have lost weight in the past on my own (usually about 3 pounds a month). I love that I can eat the food I want. I still try to go for whole foods, whole grains, veggies, fruits, etc. but I can still have a treat or even fast food if I want as long as I fit it into my points. Its a very livable program which I know I can do for the rest of my life.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:20 PM   #8  
Mum of 3 boys

S/C/G: 255/242/185

Height: Short

1. I can do it any where.
2. My dh is doing it with me but without the stress of "Ha Ha, you went over your points"
3. My dh is doing it with me and showing concern if he goes over his points.
4. My boys are seeing their mom eat healthier.

It is so simple anybody can do it.
Closed Thread