PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:16 PM   #1  
the blond one

S/C/G: 198/126.4/121

Height: 5' 1.5"

Default Anyone taken off Metaformin?

I was intially on 1500 mg a day. After losing the weight, my insulin levels and fasting glucose are all normal so the doctor took me off Metformin because she didn't think it was safe. But I'm still not ovulating. She put me on Estrostep and Yasmin but I was a complete insomniac on them and I was ALWAYS hungry and tempramental so I was taken off both of them. I'm not currently taking anything for my PCOS. Should I still be on Metformin?

Do I need to see another doctor or demand to be put on it? I like my OBGYN and she is the one that diagnosed it so....?
start8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

If your TTC then i would discuss this with her, but since she put you on Yasmin, i am assumin you are not, so i personally wouldnt care if i was ovulating or not, but if you just want your PCOS under control then i would recommend going back on one of the two she put you on to see which one caused the problems...no need to take you off of both. I take yasmin and i dont have any problems with it, i also have pcos. I take Byetta for my high insulin and pcos issues and i LOVE it. Discuss your options with her though.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:15 AM   #3  

Metformin is commonly used to treat PCOS symptoms (not just fertility/ovulation) even if you are not insulin resistant. The combination of diet, exercise and Metformin may have contributed to your normal insulin and glucose levels, and may have been enough to get all of your hormones back to normal.

I know some women who reduced their dosage once reaching goal weight, but still remain on Met, maybe ask your Dr about that. Otherwise, have your insulin and glocose re-chekced in three months and six months, to make sure that your last result was not just from the effect of the Metformin.
move2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:00 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

You can also go to an endocrinologist for help with this. My endo works with a lot of PCOS patients. There are a few endos that work especially with women who are trying to conceive (or at least ovulate). That might be a good outlet for you. Good luck!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote