Weight Loss Support - My battle against PEANUT BUTTER begins...Episode 1!

Tara D
11-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Some of you may have read my previous post (yesterday) regarding my recent "unintentional" increase in my peanut butter intake. I've decided that it may help to be accountable here. Today I have decided to stop the extra peanut butter intake...a slight challenge because I eat it daily. I will eat only enough to put on my sandwich and no more!

Today is my first day, and I'm about to go make my sandwich! I will not over-consume!!! This I pledge!

I hope to update this as my battle continues. I was doing just fine until a couple weeks ago when things started to get a little out of control!

Others may feel free to post here, too!

Here's a link to my previous post (for details and background about my peanut butter problem)!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97689

DebbieII
11-08-2006, 12:43 PM
I understand. I never ate peanut butter until I started Nutrisystem a while back.

You get to use peanut butter as a legal fat serving and even though I'm not doing Nutrisystem anymore I still follow the guidelines somewhat.

I discovered I LOVE peanut butter and I too went completely out of control.

I still have a problem because I don't bring anything into my home that is not a part of my eating plan, no junk food.

So...the peanut butter calls me.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

yogachick30
11-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Oh girl I feel your pain! I LOVE LOVE LOVE me some peanut butter! I could just grab a spoon, sit in front of the TV and eat 3/4 of the entire jar! I would be sick but I couldn't stop myself.

In light of my unabashed gourging on my beloved p.b I am not able to have any in my house. This also goes for nuts, cereal, cookies, and other assorted food that I know are my trigger foods that cause me to loose control. I sincerely wish you the best of luck on your taming of the peanut butter demon:devil: !!! :)

MariaOfColumbia
11-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Peanut butter is too expensive for me to eat every day. My fat percentages for the day almost always get out of whack when I have peanut butter and anything else remotely fatty in the same day, and the protein level is not adequate for the cost, in my opinion.

So, I don't eat it much.

Switch to organic unsweetened peanut butter, if you want it to be less tempting as well as better for you.

Tara D
11-08-2006, 01:00 PM
I did it!!!! I didn't eat any extra peanut butter!!!! Thanks for the support--spoken and unspoken. We'll see how tomorrow goes, but I'm aiming for success. I couldn't have done it without needing to be accountable here!!!

BTW, I do eat only natural peanut butter (Smucker's natural). I have some Jif that's been in my cupboard for 5 months, but I wouldn't even want to go back to eating that after tasting the superior deliciousness of the natural stuff for the last few months. I wrote that and other details of my story in my previous post...I'll see if I can create a link and attach it to this or my first post in this thread!

BlueToBlue
11-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Switch to organic unsweetened peanut butter, if you want it to be less tempting as well as better for you.

I eat organic unsweetened peanut butter (the only ingredients are peanuts and salt) and I sure don't find it to be any less tempting. I crave that stuff.

Maybe we need to start a peanut butter-aholics anonymous! Hi, my name is Barb and I'm addicted to peanut butter! :D

Sunnigummi
11-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Me too!!! I'm addicted like crazy to PB but I haven't eaten any (on purpose) for months on end now. Don't keep it in the house at all. Seems to cure my craving.

While we're on the subject of recent addictions, I think I'm going back to my bad habit of eating food from the vending machine. I always get a bag of cheetos and it's been getting on my nerves lately how out of control I am. I've also been getting hungrier and I don't think it's just the cold. Has anyone started to lose sight of the big picture and give in to bad habits? Help me please... :(

DebbieII
11-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Count me in for the PBAA (peanut butter-aholics anonymous) :D

Tara D
11-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Sunnigummi: Maybe you can do the same thing that I have done with peanut butter here. Write about your success of not eating cheetos each day! When I ate my peanut butter/fruit spread/banana sandwich today, I knew I couldn't go back to the jar and overindulge because I really wanted to be able to write here that I succeeded.

I've realized that my eating the extra peanut butter had developed into a habit (eating just because it's there) and a routine. I didn't need it because I was hungry...In fact I had just eaten, so I was fully satisfied!

I'm going to keep writing here each day until this isn't a problem anymore. I don't think I can overeat the peanut butter because it's almost like you guys are keeping an eye on me! I think this is going to work!

Sojourner
11-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Great job Tara! I am a believer that once we get our brains and emotions straightened out that we all can enjoy any food in moderation. Whenever we have trigger foods or binges there are any number of underlying reasons why we just don't say no. It sounds like yours is simply a bad habit and not a difficult emotional one. Keep posting... you are in control of your eating and the choices you make! Just say no to the extra peanut butter!

jillybean720
11-08-2006, 02:06 PM
I LOVE reduced-fat Skippy creamy peanut butter. I could literally eat an entire jar in a day with a spoon.

When I switched to natural peanut butter, I didn't like how sticky it was in comparison to the super-processed stuff I had been eating, but what further lead me away from my addiction was getting the NO SALT natural peanut butter. The ONLY ingredient in my peanut butter is: peanuts. I don't care for it plain, but it still tastes great on sandwiches, so it is still in my life in appropriate amounts, and I no longer eat it right out of the jar.

You're going to think I am insane, but I have another idea as well--buy 5-10 tiny plastic containers and put 2 T of peanut butter in each one at the beginning of the week (I do all of my food prep for the whole week on Sunday). When you need it, grab 1 container instead of the whole jar. Since I read that you only use 1-1.25 T on a sandwich, then that even still leaves you a little to lick off the knife without going over 1 serving.

Tara D
11-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Sunnigummi: Just wanted to clarify that if you want, you can write about your battle with CHEETOS here! We can support each other! Others with "addictions" they're ready to break are welcome, too! They don't have to be peanut butter!

lilybelle
11-08-2006, 02:15 PM
WTG Tara, I'm definitely with you on this one. I am going to quit eating the PB from a spoon. If I have any it will be 1TBSP on my wheat bread. I am now setting my goal to allow for this PB sandwich only twice a week. I was having a real problem with it too.

Tara D
11-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks Lilybelle. I think this process will serve as a lesson for me for other foods as well. I have decided for sure that I want to have peanut butter every day for lunch, but the key is to eat only as much as I need. The fact that I'm keeping it in my diet makes the temptation to eat it a bigger beast, but now I believe (with everyone's help) that I can beat it without completely removing PB from my life. There are a lot of foods that I don't allow in my house because of "trigger food" issues. If I can beat this habit, I will feel very empowered! Good luck to you, too! We can do it!

Jillybean: I agree that it would probably be an easier habit to beat if I got the No Salt version; unfortunately, I really like this one, so I'm going to try to defeat the beast even with my favorite brand!

kateful
11-08-2006, 02:58 PM
I should stay out of this thread. After reading all that peanut butter talk yesterday, I rushed madly around Walmart looking for wasa crackers (which they apparently no longer carry) for a pbj cracker. It's just not the same without the wasa.

lilybelle
11-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Tara, we can do it. The reason I'm limiting myself to twice a week is because I do LC and dont' want to have a lot of bread. The eating it from the spoon was a huge problem for me. My TBSP turned into more like 1/2 a cup at times. This is definitely a food that I am going to have to measure. But, I don't want to give it completely up. I'd rather learn to control myself with it and keep it in my food plan.

DebbieII
11-08-2006, 03:04 PM
I also have a problem with Fat Free Cool Whip.

I can't have it in my house, Period. I will eat the whole container in one sitting!

:devil: WITH PEANUT BUTTER :devil:

I am so weak :(

callystia
11-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Oh lord, Debbie, I thought I was the only one who did that. :o

Nikaia
11-08-2006, 04:26 PM
It's funny...I loved PB as a kid, but now...well, ever since a bad experience with nausea and a jar of sugared-roasted peanuts...I can barely stand the stuff. I mean, I could probably have a PB&J, but even just the smell and look of it makes me feel slightly ill these days.

Now ice cream...is another matter entirely. I had to give up keeping it in the house, even though I love it more than any other food EVER, cause I couldn't stick to moderation with it. I tried bars, so they were single-serving; I'd eat two or three bars a day. It just didn't work. I still miss it...but...well. Sacrifices must be made, right?

Sunnigummi
11-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Ok so I blew it today (obviously this was BEFORE I read this thread). Thanks for letting me sorta kinda hijack your thread, Tara. You rock!:D

So on to tomorrow! Wishing myself and all you gals mucho luck and hugs! :hug:

DebbieII
11-08-2006, 04:55 PM
callystia - It's good to know I'm not the only one LOL

ZedAus
11-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Another person who LOVES peanut butter here!

I buy the freshly crushed stuff at a health food store. I didn't like this as much to start with, but now I couldn't return to the processed kind.

Many people crave chocolate or other such sweet things when TOM visits. I haven't had a chocolate in probably close to 4 years, but I definitely crave PB at that time of the month.

I have actually decided to have a small low GI roll with PB once a week for a while to see how I go with that. I had stopped having PB totally for a while there, as I was having it every day. But I found that I seemed to be missing 'something' and couldn't work out what it was. Last week I was feeling really awful, and had my roll with peanut butter. Within a couple of hours I felt 'normal' again. I have no idea whether it was psychological or physical, but it worked, so I'll give it another go this week. Knowing that I can still have it now and then has kept me from wanting to have it all the time. I also need the good fats, as I don't think I have anywhere NEAR enough. I may have to keep better track of that.

Good luck to all who may be wanting to reach for the peanut butter.

Zelma

Mel
11-08-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm actually beginning to feel quite normal reading this thread. I thought I was the only one who was PB :crazy:

I had 1 heaping teaspoon full after lunch- it's my dessert.

Congratulations, Tara :bravo:

Mel

Nikaia
11-09-2006, 03:15 AM
I had a banana as a snack while waiting for my housemate to get home so we could make dinner...I was gonna try adding peanut butter, but nope! So I ended up letting my rat lick my fingers clean for me. She appreciated it. ;)

I wonder why PB seems to be such a common comfort/trigger food?

callystia
11-09-2006, 06:59 AM
Hey, it's fat, salt and sugar...what's not to love? ;)

rockinrobin
11-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Hey, it's fat, salt and sugar...what's not to love? ;)

Ditto

KnitALisa
11-09-2006, 09:27 AM
Now ice cream...is another matter entirely. I had to give up keeping it in the house, even though I love it more than any other food EVER, cause I couldn't stick to moderation with it. I tried bars, so they were single-serving; I'd eat two or three bars a day. It just didn't work. I still miss it...but...well. Sacrifices must be made, right?
I hear ya. Ice cream, especially good, high fat, high quality ice cream, is like crack for me. I just can't stop or moderate myself. Ben and Jerry's pints? So good, I'll eat the whole thing in a moment.

And add me to the PBAA group; I love me some peanut butter.

lipidful
11-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Another peanut butter addict here!
I have an entire selection of nut butter. I can't live without the stuff. It's also my main source of dietary fat. I probably eat about 3 tablespoons of nut butter over the course of a day. I have (all natural) chunky, smooth in 2 brands, spicy, I have had cinnamon raisin and vanilla cranberry, and I also LOVE almond butter. It's awesome on sandwiches, crackers, ice cream and mixed in oatmeal ( esp. the chunky one and almond butter)
Good thing I have some today w/me at my desk to dunk pretzels in and a pb sandwich for a snack. ;)
It's a mainstay of what I eat each day and I consider it a good friend; not an enemy. ;)
Edited to add: I also have a jar of cashew butter, but I don't really even like it. I find cashews to be too rich usually. Plus, it gets so haaaaaaaaaaaaard in the fridge and I can't spread it. :(

Sunnigummi
11-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Ok I know this is early, but I just want to say that the thought of eating chips has not crossed my mind today!!! Last night, I emptied out my wallet of change and $1 bills so as to prevent me from visiting the vending machine (home of The Chips). I'm leaving early today and hanging out with my mom who has like no (junk) food at home. Hehe. I think I'll go shopping with her. That way I get more exercise. :D

Good luck with those who are trying to quit! :hug:

Tara D
11-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Hello, again! Today is another day! I'm about to have lunch, and once again, I pledge to only use my 1-1.25 tablespoons of peanut butter on my sandwich! No going back to the jar! I pledge this to all of you!!!

As part of my "recovery" process, I'd like to share a little bit of my peanut butter history. Up until July of this year, I hadn't had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in probably 10 years or so. Then one day in July, I woke up with a craving for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. For the first few days I ate them in excess: something like 2 for lunch and 3 for dinner. Then I decided that I needed to cut back, and just moved to eating them only at lunch. A few weeks ago, I started eating more peanut butter from the jar after finishing my sandwich out of habit, as I already described above. The weird thing about all of this is that I have always been grossed out by TV commercials that show globs of peanut butter on a sandwich. Ever since I was a kid I've just liked a thin layer on the sandwich. That's why this eating out of the jar thing has been a little odd. The fact that I've switched to natural peanut butter and absolutely love it probably plays a role in this. I've learned to love the stuff (though I still don't like globs on my sandwich!) Also, as I said, the jar thing has become a habit over the last few weeks.

I also haven't mentioned that this problem became worse when I switched from eating 2 PB & J sandwiches to one with a sliced banana for lunch. I think I felt somewhat "entitled" to go back to the jar because I wasn't eating another sandwich, but I was no less full because the banana leaves me just as full as another sandwich would. I think this has also played a role. Unfortunately, the amounts from the jar kept increasing, and that's why I've moved to CRISIS MODE!

So I continue to try to break this habit! All of your support is doing wonders! Yesterday I achieved success! I'll post after lunch today to confirm that today was another successful day...NO EXTRA PEANUT BUTTER!

Allycatisfat
11-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Yay! Good for you on battling the PB monstor. I LOVE peanut butter to. Natural peanut butter was allowed when I went on South beach and..I kept sneaking the spoon in the jar. I've never eaten PB so fast! lol That was a mistake to do that, I know.

Now, when I get my peanut butter out for toast or celery (or something), I just use one table spoon to scoop it out and then quickly close the jar and put it away so I can't dunk my spoon in for another scoop. It works pretty well. I take what I got on my spoon and stick it in a small ramiken or something and then eat it with what ever I'm eating it with, and then lick my spoon clean.

Mmm...peanut butter...:drool:

lipidful
11-09-2006, 01:25 PM
I should probably add that I do measure my pb intake by 1/2 and tablespoon increments. I have to, otherwise I'd be in the same boat! LOL

lilybelle
11-09-2006, 01:31 PM
OMG, Tara, I could have written your post on PB. I hadn't eaten it but maybe once or twice a yr. since I was a child. About a month ago, I decided one day to have some on a spoon. I absolutely loved it. Before that, I had it very rare because I never cared for the texture of it. Now, I could eat it all the time. I am limiting it now to twice a week and only 1 TBSP. It's funny how a TBSP can hold so much if you aren't careful. When it's on bread,, I like it spread very thin. I haven't had it in 3 days now. I wish you the best with your control of it and mine also. I'm thankful for this post and it has helped me alot.

Tara D
11-09-2006, 01:40 PM
I DID IT!!!! No extra peanut butter today after lunch! YES!!!!
Couldn't have done it without you guys! It's amazing how well posting here has worked! I almost can't believe it!

Sunnigummi: Congratulations to you, too! Good luck in the days to come!
Lilybelle: Thanks for your support!

ON TO TOMORROW!!!

Nikaia
11-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Gratz, Tara! Well done! One more day safely past. :)

swultragirl
11-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Yay Tara!

I've been eating a PB&J every day for months now. I couldn't stand peanut butter when I was pregnant with my second, so once I could eat it again I went wild. I still haven't fully recovered, lol, and she's 8 months old. Sooner or later I should probably try eating something else for lunch. Heh.

Tara D
11-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Day #3 today! About to make my sandwich! Once again, I pledge not to go back to the jar! Will post results soon!

Tara D
11-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Success again! It's amazing what being accountable to real people has done. When being accountable to just fitday and myself was not quite doing the job, I was happy I had you guys to rely on. Thanks for helping. It has made a big difference! I think I'll have to continue posting daily for at least a little while, but I feel like I'm beating the monster!

Sunnigummi: How did yesterday go? Were you able to avoid cheetos today?

callystia
11-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Yay, Tara! Way to go on resisting temptation! :D

lilybelle
11-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Tara, WTG. I allowed myself one carefully measured TBSP of PB yesterday. I thought of this thread as I measured it and it helped me to have control.

Tara D
11-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks! It's so weird how this started! It never even occurred to me to eat it out of the jar until a few weeks ago, and once I "discovered" it, it became a problem. How weird! I'd been eating PB and J for months before the idea of eating from the jar surfaced!

rockinrobin
11-10-2006, 02:15 PM
When I was a little kid, maybe 9, 10, 11 I was a peanut butter fanatic, had it everyday, on bread, on a spoon or just on my finger was good enough. Anyway I was also suffering from debilitating migraines, went to umpteen doctors, neurologists everything and then.... they finally looked into my diet and lo and behold through trial and error.....you guessed it, it was my precious peanut butter. Weaning me off of it was pure he!! But I eventually did kick the habit...........only to start again as a young adult and it no longer gave me migraines (yay!) as long as I eat it in moderation. So I guess that's a good thing, perhaps?? Now I wish pasta and ice cream would give me migraines, no not really. But anyway seeing this thread has brought it all back to me. I try not to have it more then once a week, 1 tbs. is tops for me.

But boy oh boy Tara can I relate. You are doing fantastic. Keep up the good work. :bravo:

And to everyone who is also resisiting their temptations, and I guess that's all of us at one time or another - :bravo:

Beach Patrol
11-10-2006, 04:31 PM
I thought I made a post here about the Prevention Peanut Butter Diet, but I guess I dreamed it.... ????? :dizzy:

Anyway, there really IS a "peanut butter diet" which is very yummy AND healthy for PB addicts. It has been in the Prevention magazine more than once; I think it is a Prevention original diet...? Not sure about that, but I'm sure you could get the Peanut Butter off their website, OR, I've even seen the book at the grocer-market check outs.

Worth a look-see, anyway, right? I mean, any diet that allows me to eat my FAVORITE food is gonna get a WOO HOO outta me! :carrot:

Tara D
11-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks, Beach Patrol. I did take a look at the website. The only thing is that I really don't have a desire to eat peanut butter in all sorts of things. I just like my sandwich for lunch, and I liked eating it plain from the jar. Thanks for the tip, though!

Robsia
11-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Oh girl I feel your pain! I LOVE LOVE LOVE me some peanut butter! I could just grab a spoon, sit in front of the TV and eat 3/4 of the entire jar! I would be sick but I couldn't stop myself.

In light of my unabashed gourging on my beloved p.b I am not able to have any in my house. This also goes for nuts, cereal, cookies, and other assorted food that I know are my trigger foods that cause me to loose control. I sincerely wish you the best of luck on your taming of the peanut butter demon:devil: !!! :)

Oh I could have written your post.

Everyone has their demon foods and it really is the best thing not to buy them.

One of mine is sugar - if I have sugar in the house I will just eat it by the spoonful. So I buy granulated sweetener (which I know isn't the best thing but it's only a spoonful on my cereal in the morning) and I'm definitely NOT tempted to eat that by the spoonful!

But, yes, PB is one of mine too.

BlueToBlue
11-11-2006, 04:23 AM
I also didn't eat peanut butter for well over ten years. In fact, for several years I couldn't eat it (or any nuts) because of digestive problems I had that were a side effect of Claritan D, which I was taking for my allergies. It got to the point where if I even just smelled peanuts I would feel nauseated all day. I fly Southwest a lot (their trademark is free peanuts), so this was really kind of a problem.

Then my doctor figured out the problems that Claritan D was creating for me and I switched to a different medication. My digestive problems went away and I could once again eat peanut butter. I didn't really start eating it right away, but one day I was baby sitting my sisters kids and we all had PB&J for lunch. I had completely forgotten how good it was! That was the beginning of my addiction!

I actually like it smeared really thick (and will make my sandwiches with smaller slices of bread just so it can be thicker) so that when I eat the sandwich it leaks out the sides. I think the reason I crave it so much is because my diet otherwise is so low in fat (I eat it on fat-free bread--shouldn't that count for something?). In fact, it probably would be a good thing if I could figure out how to get a few more good fats into my diet, but they are so high in calories I struggle with it.

Tara D
11-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Day #4! I pledge to avoid going back to the jar again! Will update after my yummy PB sandwich!

Tara D
11-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Did it! Yeah! No extra tablespoons today!

Another little peanut butter story:

I usually keep my Smucker's natural peanut butter in the refrigerator. The last two jars I had were great. Even though I always pour the all the oil floating on top of the peanut butter in the trash before I mix and stir the rest of the jar, I could still easily spread the refrigerated peanut butter. I've had other jars where I had to do a little microwaving to be be able to spread the last few servings, but those jars I also kept in the refrigerator.

The jar I got this time has thicker peanut butter than I have ever had in the past. I poured the oil out, and from day one, I noticed that it was very thick. I've been keeping it at room temperature for this reason, but I still can't spread it without microwaving the portion that I measure out before spreading it on the bread.

I wonder if it's just a lower total oil content jar in general or if the peanuts were less finely ground. Maybe for some reason the oil separated out more than it usually does? It's interesting how jars from the same company can behave in such different ways. Hopefully I'll get a smooth one next time, if not I may have to pour a little of the oil back in (would prefer not to, though).

Sunnigummi
11-13-2006, 04:03 PM
I haven't had Cheetos since I started coming on this board!!! WHOOT for me!! :carrot: I did have a pack of Sunchips though (on Friday) but I was uber hungry and that was all that was there. *sigh*

Today is another day where I shall eat NO CHEETOS!!! YAY!

Thanks Tara, for starting this thread! :)

Tara D
11-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Great! I started thinking today that I might actually now be CURED from my excess peanut butter problem! Could this be?!

It's amazing what posting here can do! If I knew this was all I had to do, well, I probably could have beaten this much earlier! A cure in just 6 days! If only we could SELL this idea! For now, free admission to all to post here and beat that especially tough food habit!

Sunnigummi
11-14-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm almost at the 6 day mark!!! I haven't touched sunchips OR cheetos and the sun chips are right on top of the fridge. Yesterday it was a close call but I said to myself "I CANNOT go on the thread and post that I ate those chips - I'll be so disappointed in myself!" and I didn't! WOOHOO!! LOVE this thread! :D

KnitALisa
11-14-2006, 11:44 AM
It's amazing what posting here can do!
It really is. I've never met anyone on these boards in "real life," but just knowing ya'll are there keeping me accountable such a lifesaver sometimes. And go you, winning the battle of the PB!!

Tara D
11-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Congratulations Sunnigummi!!! That's great! I avoided eating extra peanut butter from the jar again today! Day #7 success!

Mel
11-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Tara, you are keeping me on track with the peanut butter, too! Thanks :)

Mel

Tara D
11-15-2006, 01:36 PM
Day #8 continued success! The cure seems to be holding!

Thanks, Mel! How is everyone doing with their goals?

healthytoad
11-15-2006, 01:54 PM
I met with a dietician yesterday. One of the things she suggested trying if you need a peanut butter fix is Peter Pan Whipped (Is is just me or does that name sound... umm odd?? LOL )

Tara D
11-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Hi, everyone! I beat the ultimate temptation today. After I made my peanut butter sandwich today, there was about half to 3/4 of a tablespoon left in the jar. Had I still been entrenched in my recently defeated "peanut-butter past," this would have been an excuse to eat the remaining PB from the jar! However, because of the need to be ACCOUNTABLE here, I didn't touch it!

I have another jar in the cabinet and will just use what's left in the older jar plus the rest of the amount that I need from the new jar for my sandwich tomorrow. This would have been very unlikely to happen 2 weeks ago!!! It sounds so simple, but it would have been so hard back then! Thanks everyone!

Tara D
11-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Still doing okay! Plan to keep going!

Tara D
11-27-2006, 09:38 PM
It's been 19 days since my peanut butter challenge began. Things still seem to be going pretty well. I didn't have to deal with peanut butter at all Thursday through Sunday. I did have two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch today instead of my usual one sandwich. However, I did that because I found out that I lost a little bit of weight over the holiday (was a little too cautious), and I needed to replenish my calorie intake a bit.

Tara D
11-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Continuing to do ok with my former peanut butter addiction. Briefly considered going back to the jar for more today, but automatically thought: "I don't do that anymore." So...I didn't do it. I'm accountable here, and I want to be honest, so I couldn't break my promise.

Tara D
11-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Still going ok regarding the peanut butter. Decided to add an afternoon snack to my regimen to up my calories a little bit. I had been thinking I might add popcorn for the last couple of weeks, but today, oranges popped into my mind. I thought they would probably have more nutritional value than a 100 cal popcorn snack. The orange was good. I have 5 more, so enough for 5 more days. Then I'll reevaluate my snack choice! I haven't done the snack thing for a LONG time (at least a year or two). I usually just do 3 meals, which I was doing fine with, but this snack thing is not so bad!

100percentME
11-30-2006, 08:13 PM
LOL this is my fav thing i have read on this site so far. I LOVE peanut butter. :love: And now i know that i am not alone! Many times when i was little i would be caught with standing in the pantry w/ my hand in peanut butter jar. As i got older i learned to employ the use of a spoon for easier access to the PB. No wonder i am overweight! LOL I hope your PB challenge is going good. I completely feel your pain. The road to stopping my PB "snacking" out of the jar was torture. :cry: Good luck! :)

swultragirl
11-30-2006, 08:21 PM
Tara, you're an inspiration! :bravo:

Tara D
12-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Well, things are still going well with the peanut butter. Since I started writing here, I have not once eaten any more peanut butter besides what I need for my sandwich!

I've also been doing well with starting to do an afternoon snack. I'm slowly and consciously increasing my calories to try to find an appropriate maintenance level. I've had an orange every day as the snack for the last 5 days. Today I went grocery shopping, and saw that there were some 100 cal popcorn bags on sale. I had written on 11/30 that I was considering trying to buy popcorn as a snack. Last time, that was a complete failure, as I lost control and ate multiple bags in a day. I think that today I will choose the popcorn instead of one of the oranges as my afternoon snack. I'm writing this here because I am committing to ONE popcorn bag as my SINGULAR afternoon snack today!

Tara D
12-09-2006, 10:11 PM
I just got back from being out of town since Thursday. I have had to take quite a few road trips over the last couple months, and to save money I've been taking bananas, peanut butter, fruit spread, and bread with me. Basically, I make breakfast, lunch, and dinner out of these ingredients! Anyway, last time (before my commitment to my battle against peanut butter)...let's just say it was a little bit of a peanut butter free-for-all. I think it was shortly after that trip that I started this post! Well, good news to report! During my trip, I ate my PB&J sandwiches, but ate ABSOLUTELY NO EXTRA PEANUT BUTTER FROM THE JAR -- even though it was sitting right there in the hotel room with me! YES! I'm achieving control!

Tara D
12-12-2006, 03:52 PM
I just looked back and saw that my peanut butter battle began on November 8th. It's been over a month now since I've gone overboard with the peanut butter! So, that's going well. My plan to add an orange daily to try to up my calories has gone well. I think I've learned a lot about self-control with food through this. The microwave popcorn that I bought a week ago as an alternative snack is holding up. I've only eaten 1 out of 4 packets. I haven't been eating it just because it's there.

Tara D
12-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Ok, had to come on here right away because I got a little of my meal plan for today. I ate two snacks (an orange and some 100 cal popcorn) right after lunch when I'm only supposed to have one later in the afternoon. Had to stop and think why am I eating this now...I wasn't hungry, but I think I was having a little subconscious anxiety. I'm trying to set up an out of state move, and I've been trying to make some decisions about my new life. Well, just wanted to come on here to commit to no more anxiety food until dinner!

Robsia
12-13-2006, 02:25 PM
I have been following this thread - well done!

Not sure I could have it in the house and not pig it from the jar. My answer is to simply not buy it. But you're doing really well.

Tara D
12-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks! I just figured no one was reading anymore!

Tara D
12-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Been a while since I posted here. Earlier this week, I came back from 4 days out of town for a job interview. Since I don't have much extra cash these days, I packed peanut butter, fruit spread, whole wheat bread, and bananas, like I've been doing for a few trips I've had to go on lately. I didn't eat any extra peanut butter from the jar during the trip. I think this just goes to show that overeating can just be a habit (even if we don't realize it). Once I made a conscious decision to break the habit, a few days later, it wasn't nearly as hard. I just had to decide that it wasn't good for me to eat excess peanut butter from the jar, and once I decided to make a rule that I wouldn't, I didn't. I still get to enjoy my peanut butter daily, but just in moderation, and I look forward to it!