Old 11-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/248/155

Height: 5'3''

Default Weight loss and OA

I have been to meetings on and off for over two years. In that time I have come away with the feeling that weight is not a welcome topic. It just isn't mentioned often. The only time I know it will be talked about is at speaker meetings. Meetings where speakers will tell their stories, and pass pictures of their history and weight changes.

Meetings are focused on working the program, abstinance and daily struggles. But for some reason, not much talk about weight.

Is this just my area? Are most meetings like this?

I am consumed with thoughts of my weight. It is why I sought out OA to begin with. The reason I am abstinent, abstaining from my addictive foods, is so i can lose weight. Yes, the benifits go WAY beyond weight loss. The chance to live a life not obsessing about my next sugar fix, and all the harm that does my family. Huge bonus, yes, maybe I don't yet understand how that is most important. But for now I want the weight loss most.

I am on day 11 of abstaining from all my sugary addictive foods and all white stuff. I'm working on a routine and trying to do my best every day. It has been a great 11 days!

I have also lost weight, 7lbs. I am excited and eager to loose more. Then I question myself, should I not get excited? Should I try not for focus on weight? Should I try not to think about it? Why isn't it talked about?

Thanks
Christy
CrispyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

I think you are right on to be honest with yourself. The program does not work without rigorous honesty. Of course you care about what you weigh! And congratulations on seven pounds lost and 11 days of abstinence!

My personal experience has been: The weight loss is not enough, on it's own, to keep me from overeating compulsively. Eventually, I always go back to binge-eating, no matter how much weight loss I've achieved. For me, it has finally had to come to a place where the PEACE and SANITY I feel when I am not binge-eating is MOST important. When, through abstinence, I am surrendered to God's plan for my life, I feel peace. In abstinence, the weight goes to it's right place. Nonetheless, what I weigh MATTERS to me! And if the scale goes up for a day, I struggle to give my emotions over to my Higher Power and trust Him and His timing. And when the scale goes down I rejoice and I thank Him.

Lindy
SlimLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

I posted an answer to this and it dissapeared!!

I agree with Lindy.

7 lbs and 11 days are worthy of celebration! Woo Hoo!!! Congratulations!!

Those are milestones and should be shared in a meeting. Those kinds of things are usually shared when the secretary asks if there are any announcements, birthdays, or milestones-- so, shout it out baby! Maybe no one is sharing those in meetings because they don't know they can, they haven't lost weight, or they've been in program so long they forget to. I dunno.

Almost everyone who comes to OA comes to lose weight. The only people that isn't true for are bulemics and anorexics. So, the majority of folks have weight on their mind. The weight and compulsive eating are symptoms of a bigger problem. The program helps us to get to the root of the bigger and deeper problem, and that's why we focus on program at the meetings. We trust that once we get to the root, the symptoms like excess weight will take care of themselves. That has been my experience-- 56 lbs that went away while I was busy working the program.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/248/155

Height: 5'3''

Thanks Lindy and Marny. I read your posts noding to myself the whole time. It's like I knew the focus was on program for a reason, but in the back of my mind I was, and still am, nervous to talk about short term success.

Thanks for the congratulations. I am very thankfull to be at this point. Thanks for your words. Even if I don't mention it at a meeting, it feels good to tell you guys.

Maybe I was wanting the meeting to take the place of telling friends and my mom. I am very private about my weight with people close to me. I realy want to tell my mom, I guess I am looking for her to be proud of me. But I am pretty sure she would say "That's nice dear, but don't get to excited yet. You still have a long way to go."

So, I started out thinking there was something wrong with my meetings, that they should talk about weight more. Now I have come around to maybe I need to look at why I want acknowledgment and acceptance.

Funny how things work out that way.
CrispyMama is offline   Reply With Quote