Support Groups - Had the baby, now getting fit

View Full Version : Had the baby, now getting fit

geneve
09-29-2001, 04:42 PM
Hello everyone, this is my tentative break away from the pregnant and staying fit group, although I'll still be hanging out there for all the new baby news, as Leo will be 8 weeks on Monday I think it's time i stopped eating all this chocolate and made an effort to get my life (and waist) back.
If anyone else wants to join me then please do, or I'm going to be very lonely.
Here's my reasoning.
I feel better in myself than I have for 4 years...since Ihad my forst baby, and while Ihave some energy and motivation I'm going to take advantage of it, if I wait I might get so big I start to feel lethargic.
Also I've seen the pictures! All those mother and baby photos have been flooding in and I look HUGE! My face is lost under a layer of blubber and I look like I'm carrying anothe rbaby at the back too!
I don't think I'll be having any more kids so I can't say I'm just fet in my baby years any more.
I want to feel sexy rather tha just like someones Mommy.
I'll weigh in on Monday, start of october and every week from there on in. I know my weight may fluctuate a bit as I'm feeding Leo, but I know I need to kee a check on it.
This is it...day after tomorrow begins the rest of my life, the bit where I take control.
wish me luck, I feel a bit like I'm standing on the high board looking at the pool..even now part of me is thinking 'don't do it, if you don't post then no one will know if you fail' well, i AM going to post, this is about me gaetting my confidence back and I acknowledge that right ot wrong, for me losing weight is a big part of that...
HERE I GO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

geneve
10-02-2001, 05:58 AM
PANTS, day 1 was a total disaster, up all night with the baby, busy busy busy all day and not a square meal in sight. Itried, i failed, oh well, today is another day, I will do this, I will I will I will.

SueMoo
10-03-2001, 11:41 PM
Hi there - I think I'll break away and join you here too, if you don't mind! I had my little one on 8-28-01. I was overweight before I got pregnant, so I have a LONG way to go. I've almost totally lost the pregnancy weight, but it doesn't feel like much of an accomplishment, because I'm still about the HUGEST I've been in my life.

I feel like, since I'm on a roll with the weight loss, now would be a good time to stay motivated, get busy, and lose weight. Plus, I'm so busy with the baby that I don't have as much time for the boredom snacking that I used to do. I also just started back to work (I work from home), so that's keeping me busy too. It's wierd to feel my stomach grumble and realize that I haven't eaten for quite a while!

NOW, I need to decide what kind of weight loss regimen I'm going to follow. I can't do low carb, it makes me sick... I'm thinking about WW. I know I definitely need to exercise more - especially if I ever want this big gut (which I never had before), to go away. At least before the baby, my fat was proportionate, LOL.

Well, better go - good luck tomorrow everyone!!! (Hopefully more will join!)

Sue
------

PrePreg: 221
Right before Labor: 241
Current: 224.5
Goal: 165

geneve
10-04-2001, 05:31 AM
Hi Sue, Oh so pleased to have a bit of company here.
I'm in the same boat really, was OK before I had my first son 4 years ago, then post natal depression gifted me huge weight gain which I'm now trying to lose. I did lose all of my pregnancy weight within a few weeks but I still want to get rid of maybe 50lbs.
I'll 'fess up and put my stats on here.
I have the WW CDROM which is OK, but to start with I'm just going to try and cut out all the 'extras' chocolate, biscuits etc...I have a bit of a sugar for energy problem...in the past I have lost weight by not eating meals just the snacks, but with a baby to feed and a life to live I want to do this right...and anyway, I seem to spend half my life at the dentist for root canals thanks to my sugar habit!
I'm struggling, but I'll do it, I feel so much better then I have in years.
Thanks again for the company,
Geneve

Jen
10-04-2001, 12:09 PM
Hi all. It has been awhile since I managed to get on the computer, Drake has been a handful let me tell you. Between the time it takes to feed him, get him to sleep, pump breast milk and try and do some normal everyday things like oh I don't know go to the bathroom and eat it feels like I do nothing all day. He's in a Snugli on my chest right now, almost but not quite asleep so I figured I would take the opportunity to log on. Was awake a good portion of last night with him crying and carrying on. He is doing that wanting to eat all night thing too so I think I will try that cluster feeding someone was talking about.

I have managed to lose 30 of my 44 pregancy lbs so that puts me at 225lbs. I was 211 before getting pregnant and 255 just before delivery. I don't think I'm going to take the last 14 pregnancy lbs off as easy as the first 30 as I was down a couple of lbs 2 days ago and now they are back on. Been hitting the cookie jar a bit too much I guess. I did manage to get in a walk with the little guy a couple of times, not quite going out everyday like I want to. right now I am just too darned tired! Oh well things have got to get better.

Geneve - I have the same problem as you I think, in between meal snacking is what has really put the pounds on me plus eating too many servings at meals.

Sue - I was overweight as well pre pregnancy though I did manage to lose 18 lbs prior. My pre pregnacy highest weight was 229 so I am happy that I am under that now at least.

Well I think the baby has drifted off. I'm going to see if I can get him into the crib without waking him up and I need to pump as my breasts feel like they are going to explode. I'm not sure how much longer I am going to pump, it is such a pain and so time consuming. I am going to go at least another 3 weeks as that will be the first 6 weeks and they are supposed to be the most important for getting the breast milk. The thing is that I am so tired especially when he is up all night crying I don't have the energy to pump. Also since I am holding him all the time trying to calm him down it makes it rough to pump and hold him at the same time. My DH hasn't really been much of a help on these late nights but I don't blame him. He sleeps poorly as it is and this sure doesn't help. Has anyone tried gripe water? I tried it last night and it didn't really seem to help much.

SueMoo
10-04-2001, 12:55 PM
Hi guys.... Happy Thursday! Well, started off the day right (ha-ha) with a bowl of cheerios (OK, that's normal) and a mini 3 musketeer bar. Hey - at least it was a LOW FAT 3 candy bar, right? LOL. Oh well. My hubby keeps buying bags of little candy bars, and I'm having a hard time resisting them. Also, I've been trying to go on a walk every day, with the baby in a stroller, but it seems like I never time it right. By the time she's ready to go - changed, fed, and burped - I'm usually not ready. Then by the time I get changed into sneakers, etc., she needs something again and we can't go. Also, when I put her in the stroller and start walking, she falls asleep, and there are times in the evening when I don't WANT her to sleep, or she'll be up all night long. So I don't go then either. Sigh. It will take a few more weeks to figure this out I guess.

Add me to the club of between meal snacking, and too large of servings at meals. I LOVE to eat, and have very little self discipline. Still, most of my life I was around 160. DH loves to eat too, and since we got married, we've both really packed on the pounds. We're both pretty sedentary too, which doesn't help. I need to start doing the exercise I used to do alot of - rollerblading and skiing. I used to LOVE it, I need to get back to that place again. Right now I get tired after going on a 15 minute walk. I feel sad about what I've done to my body...

Geneve - I have a sugar habit too... Hey, and I read somewhere that a little bit of chocolate helps with post partum depression. So, see - we are just being smart and keeping ourselves from getting PPD. heh. I need to go back to eating sweet things like popscicles, instead of chocolate. :>

Jen, I can totally relate. The pumping was so hard - I felt like I spent all of my time either hooked up to the pump, or feeding her what I had pumped. And even if she DID sleep through the night, I had to get up to pump. Now that I've stopped pumping, I STILL feel like I don't get anything done. My house has never been such a mess, and come to think of it, neither have I!!!! But it's worth it. I think. ha-ha-ha-ha-ha :> Right now with DH working nights, and going to school during the day (he graduates in December, thank goodness), he isn't around to help much. When he is home, and awake, he helps with the baby as much as he can, but he has to sleep SOMETIME.

My baby, Megan, slept for 6 hours last night, which was great. She is 5 weeks old. I am doing the cluster feeding thing, but on Monday and Tuesday nights, I couldn't get her to eat again right before I went to bed, so she woke up both nights at 3AM. Last night I got her to take all of her feedings, and she slept from 11PM to 5AM. Thank goodness.

Well, better get some work done. We are going to San Diego this weekend, leaving tomorrow afternoon - which means that if I start getting the baby ready NOW, we'll be ready to go by Saturday, ha-ha-ha-ha....

Have a great day!
Sue

geneve
10-04-2001, 05:20 PM
Well, another pretty awful day for me...I start off withthe best intentions but am getting nowhere. I could kick myself I know how good it feels when I do it, I don't even mind feeling hungry but I think half the time I just drift into the kitchen out of habit.
Leo is 8 weeks now, i planned to stop feeding him at 6 weeks but have carried on, partly because I'm worried I'll pile on weight when I stop! I do have really bad times but this has invariably turnedout to be a growing thing which settles down after a few days and so I think I'll carry on until he starts solids...because he is so long he's allowed to start a few weeks early so I'm more than half way there.
I only express once a day, in the mornings when I know it's fairly easy....I try for 4oz, freeze one then feed him a cocktail of 3oz mine3oz formula in the evening, as formula takes them longer to digest buying you a few more zz's or so they say!
I'm trying the cluster thing and he did about 5-6 hours last night which is his best effort to date.
I'm hopeless at organising myself to get out, if I put my mind to it I could get a swim most days as I have DH at home and he can take an hour off around lunch time, but I keep on getting the times wrong. I had planned to leave the car at my sons school walk the few miles home with the baby then walk back to collect him a few times a week, and I think I should start trying to do that at least once a week.
Have a real dilemma right now, its 9.14pm, baby asleep, do i wake him and feed him or let him sleep?
Honetly, if there's two things I'm useless at it's motherhood and dieting..stil I've raised one gorgeous child, so there's still hope.
Tomorrow is (yet) another day.
good luck then
Geneve
231 now
goal 170

flower
10-04-2001, 08:00 PM
Well, my baby just turned 1 on 9-23 -so technically, I should be done with this. I am not sure I qualify of this thread since you guys have new borns and I have a monster! :) I really want to say hi cause I saw Sue Moo is from Vegas. I am in Henderson! I don't think I have seen too many from our neck of the woods.

I was 208 my last week of pregnacy. Started at 186. 3rd pregnacy. I got down to 184 three times since then but 190 seems to be my set point! So I am playing a game this month. I must take more steps tomorrow than I did today. So I have to take at least 1 more than 5078. (That was 2 times around the sunset park walking path this morning) Yes-I have a pedometer. :) My goal is 135 pounds.

flower/audri

Jen
10-05-2001, 02:18 PM
Hi all. Tried the cluster feeding last night, he ate at 5, 8, 10pm though he did wake up at 3am wanting to eat again. I was just happy though he wasn't screaming the whole night like the day before. I actually got some decent sleep and feel like a human being again. I had a good day as far as my diet goes but again no exercise because of being sleep deprived. I'm going to try and get out this afternoon even though it is raining. I have one of those plastic coverings for the stroller and I'll bundle him up really well. I think he likes going out anyway, maybe in the rain will be a nice change for him.

Sue - I know what you mean about not being able to figure out how to get out. Every time you turn around there is something that needs to be done, either with you, housework, or the baby is crying. How long does it take to figure this all out? About the breast pumping...I don't think I can do this for as long as I planned, it is just too time consuming. I'd get a lot more done if I wasn't spending 3-4 hours just pumping. Sleep would be nice at the very least. Talking about large meal servings, I got myself a smaller dinner plate and I think that helps control my portions. Also I will load it up and that is it, no second helpings or leftovers. If there are leftovers I will usually have them for lunch the next day, not a night time snack.

Geneve - don't be so down on yourself! You are not useless at being a mom or at dieting. It takes a lot of time to figure these things out and just because you've had one child already doesn't make you an expert on how the second one is going to act. Being a mom is knowing what true frustration and not knowing what is the best thing to do. We had our baby circumsized and right up until they took him for the procedure I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. I was crying sitting in the waiting room just thinking about what he was going through. Believe me that I took it harder than he did. This whole thing has got to be the hardest thing I have ever done in my life and it is going to be a long while before I feel like I know what I am doing (if I ever do!). So don't fret about all this, you can only do the best you can do.

flower - we welcome every mom looking to lose weight! You can be really helpful to us mom newbies too!

The baby should be waking up soon so I should toddle off and get his bottle ready. Take care all.

Jen
10-06-2001, 11:35 AM
I did pretty well yesterday, ate healthy and got in a walk with the baby but the baby was not a happy camper last night and not right now as a matter of fact. I have him in his snugli and he is just going on and going on. I just don't know what is the matter, that is the most frustrating thing! He has eaten all he is going to, diaper is dry, I have cuddled and walked and rocked til I am blue in the face, thought maybe a different environment might help but so far nothing. At least this is giving me something to do til he decides to settle down. Sometimes that is about all you can do.

flower
10-07-2001, 12:57 PM
Griffin has not liked his stroller all week. It is so frustrating when you finally find the energy and time to walk and the baby won't cooperate. Grif is getting to the point where he can twist and turn and get out of the seat belt. He proceeds to make the walk miserable. And what do I do? I get mad, frustrated and hit the fridge when I get home. After that I lay down with baby to get him to nap and I fall asleep. Real good for the metablolism!

Grif does not sleep in his crib. I nursed him for 8 mothes and then he refused any more. But he still does not sleep thru the night. He had really bad ear infections and that woke him up every 2 hours for months. We got tubes in now, but the habits are made now! I have tried letting him cry or moving him once he has fallen asleep but only to have to rescue him in a few hours. I get more sleep letting him sleep w/ us. So romantic huh???

He is walking and starting to talk and he eats people food. He loves chinese food. Yogart is another favorite. He is always dirty. I draw the line at more than 2 bathes a day! Somedays a wash cloth will do for one of those baths! And yes, I work too. I work 20 hours a week at the community college. I am a lab asst in the horticulture departmant. My bf works at a toy store swing shifts. So St are only day we are both home together. With this ecomomy, I am just thankful we are both employeed.

Anyways I am 32, and sick of being lumpy!!!! audri/flower

geneve
10-07-2001, 01:52 PM
Hi everyone, hello Flower!
As I write there is a massive storm blowing the sea foam over the windows, and a bigger on raging INSIDE the house! I finally flipped this morning am totally hacked off withDH who has been off work for 6 months and still doesn't know how to get the kids dressed in the morning. I feel like an unpaid skivvy, so I upped and walked out with little Leo this morning, and I had a great day...went to see my nieces who I hardly ever see, then to see my Mum,` no one told me what to do, i haven't picked up a dirty cup or pair of socks all day. When I got in DH was expecting me to aplogise for making him worry about me. Yeah, right.
Anyway, due to all the rushing about finally managed a day without eating too much HOORAY!
Flower, Leo would like to sleep with me all the time, and I try to resist as my brother has a 5 year old who now refuses to sleepalone (Brother now getting a divorce) and i know how awkward it can be...but if they are poorly what else can you do? Thise ear infections are the worst, Ted had all that last year, his temp went so high he was delerious....
I think the cluster feeding thing does work (for Leo that is, I'm a natural cluster feeder in the evenings LOL), am trying to give him formula in the evenings, thought I had cracked it last night he had about 6 oz, then threw it up all over my back. Lovely.
Weigh in for me tomorrow, don't think I'll have lost anything but maybe things will pick up after a good day.
Geneve:s:

marydave
10-07-2001, 03:19 PM
Hope you all don't mind one more new mom jumping in here. I haven't been on these message boards in over a year and so much has happened I feel I need to. First let me introduce myself, my name is Mary and I am from Nova Scotia Canada. I am 37 (in Nov) and married for 13 years. Up until Aug 6 I had one son, 10 years old and now I have a two month old son. I joined Tops on Nov 20/01 with such great motivation to lose the weight, I weighed 210.5 and found out that I was pregnant a couple weeks later. I went into the delivery room at 238 and two weeks after the delivery I weighed 205, I was estatic. Well that didn't last long, being home all day, post partum depression setting in and a new baby that I didn't plan on was just too much to handle. Now I am at 211.5 and really need to get control. I don't attend Tops now because I moved to a new town a month before I had the baby and just can't find the time to go, this is why I need these boards for support. I want to do the WW123 at home but need support, someone to be accountable to for my bad habits. It took me three years to learn really good eating habits and 9 months to forget them. So what do you say, am I in, do I qualify for you support, sure hope so I can use all the friends I can get who have something in common with me. PS what is this cluster feedings you are talking about?
Mary

SueMoo
10-08-2001, 01:58 AM
Hi everyone! Sorry that I haven't posted - we went out of town this weekend, to San Diego (it was wonderful), so I haven't had time. Actually, I have to get Megan to sleep, so I can't post much of anything right now, I'll do that tomorrow. Just wanted to drop in to say hello and WELCOME to the new folks. (Although, hey, we're ALL new - it's a brand new thread/group! :>)

Talk to you all soon!

geneve
10-08-2001, 09:59 AM
Hi everyonem hi Mary, welcome, a special welcome to you because I had post natal depression with my first and can ooze sympathy for anyone else who has it...luckily I escaped this time but will never forget how awful it was. I put on all my weight during the depressed times and am stilltrying to shed it 4 years later so DON'T give in or you'll end up feeling preganant again!
The cluster freeding thing as I understand it is basically trying to get your baby to eat lots in the evening, lots of big/little feeds, the idea being it helps them sleep. I have been trying this for maybe a week, and little Leo slept through last night...7 hours, forst time ever. It does seem to have helped him.
Anyway, must dash as he wants feeding now, will try to get back here later.
Sue..I wish I was off to SanDiego, you have no idea how exotic that sounds here in windswpet Blighty!!
Geneve

SueMoo
10-08-2001, 05:02 PM
Hi all! Hope everyone had a great weekend. Ours was heavenly... We drove up to San Diego for the weekend. DH's brother and family live there, so we came to visit and show off the baby. We got a four star hotel room on priceline, at the Westin Horton Plaza Hotel, for fifty bucks a night. It was GREAT. On the way to SD, we stopped at all of the baby outlet shops in Barstow, CA - like Children's Place. Got some great stuff for Megan - like an adorable sweater for $4.00, that was normally $28!! I love outlets! We did family stuff on Friday night, then spent Saturday at Balboa Park. It was great to just walk around and relax. (Good exercise too, which is how I justified away all of the junk I ate on the trip...) Then we went to the beach in the early evening and watched the sunset together. It was very romantic, except that DH was carrying the baby in a snugli, hee-hee... We drove home yesterday.

We love going to SD - we go as often as we can get away. It's so much cooler there, and I love how green it is, and how much there is to do. I would love to live there, but the housing prices are OUTRAGEOUS. I doubt we would be able to afford a home there, and we love the little nest we have here. I was afraid that having a baby would mean the end of our weekend trips, but she was an angel. She slept almost all the way up and back (we woke her up halfway through the 6 hour drive to feed her), and she slept great in her bassinet in the hotel room. But I know she'll get a lot harder to handle when she is a little older - A car trip with a 2 year old doesn't sound like much fun, LOL.

I had a bad diet weekend - won't talk about that. But today is a new day - and I'm determined! We are going to the YMCA today, to check out the cost. Hey, do any of you have painful stretch marks? My incision from my c-section doesn't hurt at all, but my stretch marks really do... Not to sound wimpy, but every time that my pants, or whatever I'm wearing, touch my stretch marks, it really hurts - making exercise quite painful. I've been putting an Ace bandage around the area, but it doesn't help much. I put lots of lotion with Aloe on the area, three or four times a day. I have a drs. appt this week, hopefully he can tell me something.

One food problem I have is that DH does the cooking (No, THAT isn't the problem), and he cooks such fattening things. I hate to tell him what to cook, when I'm just so grateful that he's willing to do it at all - I'm a horrible cook. We're both chubby, and we talk about getting in shape, but when it boils right down to it, he doesn't want to change the kinds of things he cooks. Any suggestions?

Audri - Hi!! That's so cool that you live in Henderson! We are thinking about selling our house (we live in the far Northwest, in Elkhorn Springs), and moving to Green Valley. What part of Henderson do you live in? My in-laws (parents AND SIL/BIL) live out off of Horizon road... Sunset Park is great, isn't it? That's a HUGE park - how far does the walking path go? I'm really impressed that you walk around it twice! I love the age your little one is at - I love when they are learning to talk...

Mary - Welcome! I'm sorry about the PPD - I know that is really rough. Hopefully we can all support and motivate each other! Geneve is right, cluster feeding is basically feeding them enough at night to give them the calories to sleep through the night. For example, Megan usually eats at 6PM, then at 8PM, then I wake her up again to feed her at 10PM. She will usually sleep between 6-7 hours after that. Before I started feeding her that way 2 or so weeks ago, she only slept 3 hours at a time (she is 6 weeks old tomorrow). It's an idea borrowed from the "Baby Whisperer" book. What is the difference between WW and WW123?

Geneve - You can't fool me, I read your profile - you live in England! In Seaside, right? THAT sounds exotic. It sounds very romantic actually... What is it like there? Is it like it sounds, right on the ocean? I would love to go to Europe someday. The only place outside of the US that I've been is Mexico. I'm so excited for you that Leo slept that long - it's so great when it happens, huh? How was your weigh in?

Jen - Hope your baby settled down for you... Sometimes don't you wish they could talk and tell you what was wrong? Did he sleep better for you last night? That makes such a huge difference (for us and for the babies!). I'll have to try the smaller plate - thanks for the tip!

Talk to you all later!

Sue

flower
10-09-2001, 12:19 AM
Hello moms!

Mary-are you a member of TOPS again? I hear all the support you can get can really help at times like these...

Geneve-did you weather the storm ok?

Sue-I live in old Henderson. Basically downtown. I work at the Henderson campus of CCSN. Mom lives in GV as does my mom in law. My sis lives past Centenial PKWY. The path around the pond @ sunset is exactly one mile. I try to walk on Thrusday mornings but lately it hasn't happened very often. I have walked for 5 days straight. The scale isn't budgeing but I am feeling alot more alive. I walked to work today to avoid dealling w/ the baby and the stroller. That works out wonderfully. I only have to leave 40 minutes before. And BF doesn't have to wake up at the crack of dawn and I can walk alone! Yeah!!!! Gotta get the baby down to sleep. Chat more tomorrow. ~flower/audri

Jen
10-09-2001, 05:00 PM
Hi all. I had a pretty good weekend as far as diet and exercise go, got out for a couple of walks and did pretty well not pigging out. I'm done to my last 10 pregnancy pounds and I feel very good about that. We're just going to go out now for a walk before it starts raining or worse. The baby is still being fussy at night and not settling. I think it is gas and not colic as it usually only lasts an hour or so. Last night I laid him down on the couch and I was moving his legs as if he were walking and that seemed to calm him down right away. Now I know that gas is usually eased with walking so that plus that I can hear a lot of rumbling in there leads me to believe that he is just gassy. How much more do I have to burp this kid to get rid of all the gas? Any suggestions?

Sue - sounds like you had a nice weekend. Yes I definately wish that the baby could tell me first hand what is wrong, I am not very good at figuring it out yet.

geneve - I have been trying the cluster feedings and so far I only had one night where he went down early and stayed asleep for several hours. I'm hoping that trying to feed him more often is not contributing to his gas. Don't blame you for taking a time out from your hubby, mine needs to pick up helping out a bit too or the least he could do is not be so grumpy in the mornings.

Mary - we welcome everyone! Tell me about not having time to do anything!!! And I only have the one kid, I can't imagine trying to manage 2. I think someone else explained the cluster feedings, basically it is feeding as much as they will take every 2 hours during the evening starting at 5 or 6 pm and if you are breast feeding supplementing with formula if your baby is old enough to take a bottle without getting confused. I am expressing my milk so I give him half and half. It sounds like it is working for some moms but not me yet. It is supposed to get your baby to sleep 5-6 hours at least straight through.

Okay is it just me or does everyone have a different opinion on raising a baby? I say something to someone, like my mom or my husband's best friend's wife and they'll be like, oh no, you should do it this way and yet all the baby books say to do it a totally different way. For example and I'd like people's opinion on this, can you spoil a newborn baby? I say no and everyone else seems to say yes. A newborn doesn't know anything about anything so how can they manipulate you? I can't stand to just let my baby sit there and cry, I have to pick him up. Sometimes I'll give him a minute or 2 to see if he will settle himself but usually he doesn't so I'll pick him up and sometimes he will settle in a few minutes just by cuddling with me. What is so wrong with that? Well I'd better get going if I am going to get this walk in today. Take care all.

flower
10-09-2001, 06:54 PM
Jen-I still can't let Grif cry and cry even if I am at wits end and he's one now. I wish I could have and life would be easier but it isn't in my nature. I am a nuturer. Do what feels right to you. And there is no way you can please all your relatives and friends. I quit trying years ago! :) audri

MichelleK
10-10-2001, 12:20 PM
Hey everyone! I just found this group...got room for one more?

My son just turned one on Sept. 11th and I am still fighting the battle of the bulge! I had lost 97 lbs prior to getting pregnant then gained most of it back! I am struggling to get it off now. Its going so much slower this time because I am having a hard time finding the time to exercise. I rejoined WW and have lost 15.5 lbs so far...I joined the gym and have just started going on Mon, wed and fridays. So hopefully this will help! I want to at least get back to where I was before I got pregnant then work my way down from there.

Jen/Audri....I could never let Andrew cry for more than a few minutes and he isn't spoiled. If he wakes up crying lightly I know that he will go back to sleep..but once he starts crying loudly I have to go to him. I put him in our bed a couple of times but didn't want to get in that habit. Now I bring him his sippy cup with milk and he drinks what he wants and goes back to sleep. He only gets up once in the night now. When he was an infant he got up every two hours like clock work.

Well I better get going...I am at work right now and have a few things to get done before the boss lady comes in!! LOL I'm glad I found this group!

Jen
10-10-2001, 12:43 PM
Morning everyone. We had a great night last night. Someone in another group told me about this med called OVOL which is for gas pain. Well I gave Drake some in his 10pm feed and he was perfect all night. No crying and screaming. Oh joy! He didn't sleep through the night even though I tried the cluster feeding but he was only up for about 30 minutes at 330 and went right back to sleep after taking his bottle. It was so nice not to have to listen to all that. It gets so frustrating. I hope this stuff helps. I'm not going to give it all the time or I'll get him addicted to it or it will stop working but it is nice to know there is something out there that does help. I agree with you other ladies, I can't stand listening to him crying for more than a few minutes. You know that particular cry that isn't going to stop after a minute.

Got in a walk yesterday and my eating was okay, not great but okay. Doing better everyday I think. Well small steps. I'd better get going as I need to pump and then get some lunch for myself. Take care.

marydave
10-11-2001, 12:29 PM
Thank you all for your warm welcomes and the wonderful info on cluster feedings. I too feed Ryan around 4, 8 and them he is up again at 1:30 and 4 so I will have to try this. Sorry for not replying sooner but my stupid internet was down for a couple days. Well someone is crying reallyyyyy bad right now so I must go but I can't wait to read more. Take care and have a great day ladies.
Mary

SueMoo
10-11-2001, 05:39 PM
Hi guys. Hope you're all having a great week so far. One more day till the weekend!

Well, since all I've had today are raisins and Hi-C fruit snacks, I guess I've stayed under my calorie count, but um, not in a very healthy way. It is hard to find the time to think of something healthy to eat, make it, and actually eat it... I haven't gone out for exercise either. Sigh. I'm just not feeling very motivated. I think I need a goal. I feel like I have so much to lose that it's unattainable. Maybe I'll have to look at it in small steps. Like focus on the first 10 pounds first or something.

Welcome Michelle! Wow - 97 pounds! That's an amazing accomplishment. How did you stay motivated?

Jen - I can't handle hearing Megan cry either. Matter of fact, she is fussy today, so I'm carrying her around in a Snugli, and I don't care if it spoils her or not! She's 6 weeks old, I don't think I'll cause any lasting damage to her temperment, LOL.

Well, big hellos to everyone. I hope everyone will share their tips on how to stay motivated/positive, because I seriously need some right now!!!!

geneve
10-13-2001, 06:30 PM
Hi everyone, I'm afraid I've bveen staying away in the hope i'd be able to report a 'good' day but alas it has yet to happen.
As the diet is going so poorly, I'm going to work on the exercise thing. I have been doing my 50 sit ups every other night to try and firm up my jelly belly, and on Monday I'm hading to the local gym to see what they say. DH is thrilled, after 4 years of depressed me he seems glad to have strpooy me back again, his birthday is on halloween and he says he's so pleased to see me fighting back again I can buy him my gym membership as his present! Mind you, maybe he's just sick of having such a lardy lump hanging around!!
Leo sleeping much better now, although Ted the 4 year old is having a run of bad dreams...if I don't slim down we'll have to get a bigger bed, it seems awfully crowded some nights! I don't know about you guys but I hate having either of the kids in bed with us, sometimes I'm just too tired to put Leo back in his room, I have no ability in this area at all, I can't do a thing when I'm tired and have a terrible sense of balance and can't get him into the cot without stumbling, half the time I wake him up again then have to wait and wait...
DH loves having the kids in bed and will happily sleep cuddling up to a fidgety grizzly bundle (or one of the children LOL) but I cannot do it and usually end up on the floor or in the spare room.
Well, still nothing lost, nothing gained. Somehow, somewhere I must get some willpower. Back to basics I think, fridge full of bottled water and porridge.
I still think I will get there...
Good wishes to all of you...good nights sleep and goodbye to colic forever...my first baby had colic and it drove me mad...the only thing that helped him was switching to Avent bottles, not sure why...though I suspect he just grew out of it as they do.Oh, and sitting them on your lap and 'cycling' their legs about, again don't know why!! Good exercise though, especially you keep on for hours and hours and hours..........
Geneve:(

SueMoo
10-15-2001, 03:19 PM
Where is everyone? Busy with babies?

I started Weight Watchers today. I am feeling hopeful... We are also going out to buy a weight set thingie today. It has a weight bar to work your legs, one of the things so that you can do butterflies, a pull down bar, and a bunch of other stuff. I'm going to start using that every other day and then either walking with the baby or using my treadmill. That is what got my weight off before (about five years ago, I got down to 140 by exercising and eating healthy, but it all came back when I started being super sedentary again). I'm not even going to focus on the TOTAL amount of weight I need to lose - that's just too overwhelming. Instead I'm going to focus on the first 20 pounds. Make that my goal... Then I'll worry about the rest of it later.

I just really don't want my baby girl to have such a fat mom. I want to be in shape so that I can be a good role model for her, you know? Also, I don't want to be too tired to be able to play with her...

Wow Geneve, 50 situps, I don't know if I could do that many (isn't that sad!). You motivated me to give it a shot - I'm going to try tonight to see how many I can do. My hubby is the exact opposite of yours, he doesn't like having the baby sleep with us - but then again, neither do I. Luckily, she seems to do fine in her crib. But she won't nap in there during the day. She'll only take naps in her car seat. I wonder why that is - I wonder what she is thinking in her baby brain? Huh.

Well, better run. Have a great weight loss day everyone!!!
Sue

flower
10-15-2001, 07:17 PM
My 12 month old is still sick. We are thinking maybe allergies. He is fine till about 3 days after the decogestant runs out. So, we have him on an allergy/decogestant for aweek. Something must work because I was up every 10 minutes last night. He couldn't sleep laying down. So I would have to hold him. I tried him sleeping proped up, but nope, he wanted to cuddle with me and wipe his snot all over me. Lucky me? I don't have health insurance for me. The children do. I went to work on no sleep. Actually I was looking forward to getting away. Sad huh? I can't cook or clean or anything right now. The city is replacing our gas line. I suppose it will be cold sandwiches or frozen dinners. I don't mind. Not very hungry anyways. I will try to get my veggies in. I always feel better if I eat veggies. ~flower

bc
10-16-2001, 11:59 PM
Can I join you folks?

I was here before and haven't been able to make it back in a long time......was it really August 11th last time I was at this board?!

Anyway I had my baby in May and thought I was doing well watching what I was eating.........but my appetite got HUGE and I allowed myself to eat with abandon (because after all I am nursing a baby and she is a good size baby) .....but the time has come for me to REALLY watch what I am eating or I will blow up even larger!

So five months after having my baby I am ready to start paying attention to my growing body. True I did wear my regular clothes throughout this pregnancy, but it is a bit depressing to see things that fit me at 7 months fitting me now too. :(

So please let me know if I can join you folks. I know I don't get as much time on the computer anymore but I remember I did find this forum very helpful when I was first looking to do something about my weight.

Barb

SueMoo
10-17-2001, 01:29 PM
Welcome, welcome, WELCOME Barb! I think the thread's been a bit slow lately because we're all so busy with our little ones... but I hope that you will find the support you are looking for here.

Flower, I'm sorry about your baby's cold - poor baby. I hope he is feeling better? Megan has the sniffles right now, but no runny nose. I am praying that it doesn't develop into a full blown cold.

I have been doing good so far on the WW (wow, three whole days, ha-ha-ha). I also went on walks both days, and plan to do so today too. My hubby is supposed to start putting together our weight station today - we'll see!

I got a bonus from my work, so DH and I decided that we would each buy some new clothes, since its been FOREVER since we've done that. We basically both need new wardrobes. We are both kicking around in the same clothes we had when we got married five years ago, for the most part. It's depressing though, I don't want to go buy a bunch of clothes in my current size. Ugh. I decided that I'm going to buy a few things now, out of sheer necessity, and then put aside the rest of my "share" for after I lose a few pounds. Maybe after I hit each 25 pound goal, I'll go buy myself a few things as a reward...

Sigh. We'll see.
Sue

geneve
10-17-2001, 04:32 PM
Welcome BC, nice to have more people joining, it's hard to post regularly with babies to tend to but always good to hear from you.
Sue, I think you should buy yourself a few new things, personally I find new clothes motivate me...slobbing round in your comfy old stuff is cosy but if you're anything like me that means 'camoflage', clothes that stop you being noticed and make you feel like no one will notice those new extra pounds.
I was going to go out and but a new pair of jeans in whatever size fits snugly as an incentive to make them a bit loser, but instead I invested my money in joining the nearest gym. Went an d had a look round today and although no one in there was my size I think I can get through it. Induction is tomorrow which will be the worst bit, I imagine scales and body fax indexes will be involved but it's only an hour and after that I can go when I want. The gym also has a creche two mornings a week and does all kinds of classes, so if I can't fact the gym itself i could do yoga or something aerobic.
Many years ago I was a regular gym goer and pretty fit, it is going to be hard going back right at the bottom of the ladder, but I don't seem to be able to eat less at the moment and this is the only other way I know. think of me tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes.
Geneve.:^:

bc
10-17-2001, 06:06 PM
Thank you for the welcome.

I love getting new clothes even if I am not the best size to show them off in. There is just something nice and crisp about wearing something new. Enjoy it! Besides the best defence for being larger is having nice clothes (at least I have always thought so).

Geneve I use to go to the gym regularly when my kids were young. I enjoyed the contact with other mothers and even made some friends there. I haven't headed back there because a little over a year ago I went and splurged some money into my favorite aerobic machine from the gym. I got a home model but it cost as much as 6 or7 years of the gym. I know it was a lot to pay but I did it so I could work out at home. Besides the gym often had a line for the machine. I was working at the time so we had a bit more income than we had been use to for all the years I was at home.

Like I said I have the tools, I just have to USE them! :)

Barb

flower
10-18-2001, 12:14 AM
Well, baby is on a decogestant /allergy medicine. It is making the crude come out everywhere. BUT he slept through the night the last 2 nights. First time ever!!!!! ~flower PS/ I have lost 4 pounds since the 3rd of Oct. Walks with my children after dinner and lots of veggies!

Jen
10-18-2001, 08:50 AM
I'm having some problems getting a reply in here, I've typed in 2 so far so I'm just going to send a short one in case it doesn't work again. I want to get back to bed anyway as the baby has finally gone back to sleep. He is staying awake til 1-2am, not crying as much but just awake. Any suggestions for getting him to stay awake earlier in the evening or getting him to sleep faster would be deeply appreciated. The cluster feedings don't seem to be working.

The diet has been not great, exercise has been okay but my knees have been sore, probably need to do more stretching.

SueMoo
10-18-2001, 12:37 PM
Well, 3 pounds down, 20 kajillion to go. :> It's probably mostly water, but it still feels good to see such quick progress. The WW is pretty easy to follow, I'm liking it...

Actually, I made a mistake on my last post - I've had the same clothes for about 4 years, not 5 - 5 years ago we got married, and I was MUCH smaller when we got married, that was, um, about 75 pounds ago. Sigh. Oh well. I did go ahead and get a few new things, and then I'm going to reward myself.

Geneve, how did the gym go?

Barb, what kind of machine is it?

Flower, congrats on the loss - that is great! And congrats on getting baby to sleep through the night - I don't know what is better, the baby sleeping, or the weight loss, LOL.

Hi Jen, wondered where you went... I've given up on the cluster feeding too, she seemed to just adjust to the greater volume of formula after a few days, and still wasn't sleeping. But she did finally gain some weight, LOL. So now I just make sure to give her a full bottle again when I can see that she is getting tired (assuming it's been more than an hour since she ate). I've found that if I miss her nightime "window" of when she is starting to get tired, she is 10 times harder to get to sleep - if I accidentally wait till she's too tired to put her to sleep, or if she's missed too many naps, she'll cry and cry, and won't go to sleep without a car ride or something. So I have to really watch her at her "usual" bedtime. She still gets up once during the night - usually sleeps from 10 - 3 or 4 now, which is good enough for me.

What I'm really struggling with is naps. She sleeps all night in her crib, but won't take her naps during the day unless someone is holding her. Since I work at home, that is a challenge. She won't sleep in the Snugli, she wants to be HELD. And if she doesn't get her naps, she gets overtired and really fussy - then she won't go to bed at night. She won't sleep in the car seat either. Any suggestion?

Well, speaking of, she is awake again, after a 15 minute nap. Better run.

Sue

Oh, PS, you can see my Megan at www.marchantbaby.homestead.com

:>

bc
10-18-2001, 01:40 PM
Sue, My machine is a Precor. You reminded me I have to work out today! I have a goal of working out 4x this week and I have only done once. Better get on it I only have four days left. :)

I am trying to break my daughter of the falling asleep in our arms habit now. She will be five months and I think it is time for her to learn how to go to sleep on her own. The couple of times I have put her in she has done fine, but this is only a test because we haven't got her in the crib yet. I think that crib will be a large bed with cozy feel she gets now in the bassinet and in the travel crib we keep downstairs. I make sure she is changed and fed and held a little and then I lay her down.

I am not sure what it is but I am finding her much mellower than my boys were. She will wait to eat while they were always searching for more food as soon as they could get it.

Are you folks following plans yet? If so what plan? I have been winging it but I suspect I would do much better if I actually documented EVERY mouthful or snich.

Barb

Jen
10-19-2001, 07:41 PM
Sue, I have the exact same problem with Drake, about missing his sleepy time then he wails for a couple of hours. Luckily he will fall asleep just about anywhere once he gets tired enough, in the car seat, snugli, stroller, doesn't have to be held, maybe that is the problem I am having at night, I am holding him trying to rock him to sleep and maybe that is too much stimulation for him. Sorry I can't help with your prob. I gather you are at work and someone else is trying to get her to nap during the day? Maybe you need to give them a piece of your clothing that has your scent on it, a t-shirt or something they can wrap the baby in, might help.

marydave
10-22-2001, 11:25 AM
Hi ladies, it has been a while but things are nuts around here as I am sure you all can imagine. Welcome to all you new folks, nice to see I'm not the only newbie here. As for Ryan he is sleeping better at night but I think he is teething, not quit three months but bitting on his wrist a lot, drooling and just plain miserable at times and once I rub the gums he seems to be better. As for me, I too have the equipment needed to exercise just have to start using it more. I have a nice treadmill, home gym and lots of Richard Simmons tapes so no excuses. I did start Friday and enjoyed myself, Ryan looked at me like I was some sort of nut, Richard make it look so easy doesn't he!!! Well I am starting to put on my weight I lost after having Ryan, I am getting lots of exercise but it is going up and down the stairs to the fridge so I don't think it counts, LOL. I follow the WW123 when I follow anything and I do find it to be the best and I know it would work if I followed it honestly but I just can't seem to get going. I spent three years learning good eating habits and nine months destroying or reversing them. I never drank pop for three years, well maybe one glass a week if that and now I am addicted to pepsi and not diet. Well, I must try to get some time in on the gym while Ryan is sleeping. Take care and have a wonderful, colic free day and a sleepful night ladies.
Mary

geneve
10-24-2001, 02:49 PM
Hello everyone, hope you're alllurking and reading even if you don't have time to write.
Managed my second session at the gym today and it was better than the first, although I could do without all the mirrors.
I have been quiet as having problems with Leo who after managing quite long sleeps has returned to waking at 3.30 every morning. The clocks go back an hour soon too andI will be at my wits end.
In desperation started him on a bit of baby rice mixed with expressed milk today. He guzzled it down happily, but I feel bad, he's only 12 weeks old and I know you're not suppsed to start them until 4 months. Oh well, I figure if it's only a bit of rice it can't do any real harm...or can it????:?:
Oh pants. meant to have a good old chat here as feeling rather cut off but I heear leo waking up, yet again, he has dispensed with long sleeps and just naps for 10 minutes at a time now, most frustrating.
Can anyone think of a good name for this group? I was going to start another thread as this one is getting a bit long and it seems traditional to change very month or so but I think we should have a catchy name....what do you think?
Hugs to you all,
Geneve

SueMoo
10-25-2001, 12:46 PM
Hey folks - the thread is really slowing down lately, huh? It's just so hard to find time to post. I lurk around alot, checking to see if anyone has posted, but it seems that whenever i get ready to post, I get interrupted... Oh well! :>

Hey Mary, I am following WW123 too - thisi s the first time I've tried it, and it is working pretty well for me. I've lost 7 pounds so far, in a little over a week. Granted, it's probably almost all water, but it makes me feel great to start with such a nice little loss. This is the longest that I've been able to stick to a diet in - well, probably 5 years. How sad is THAT!!?! I haven't been doing very well on the exercise end of things though. I really need to/want to though. I remember how great it used to feel to be STRONG and firm, and I want that feeling back.

How about if we all make Thanksgiving (November 22nd, for all you non-Americans :>) goals together? Anyone up for that? Personally, I'd like to lose 8 more pounds by then - that's 2 pounds a week. Then we could make Christmas goals together too! I think it's easier to focus on smaller goals, rather than on the whole enchilada. What do you think? Anyone up for it? Maybe it will help us to get motivated?

Megan slept from 11 - 6:30 last night. Heaven! I stopped cluster feeding her. I guess time is just starting to do the trick, all on its own. I read something last night that said between 6 and 12 weeks they start to get their night sleep organized (sleeping longer), and between 12 and 18 weeks, they start to get their daytime sleep organized (sleeping less often, but for longer periods). So hopefully her naps will sort themselves out soon. (I hope!) Just think ladies, eventually this will be behind us!

Geneve, don't feel bad about the cereal - I've been so tempted to try that, and Megan is only 8 weeks old. I know people who have started their babies on cereal even younger than that! Did it work? Did he sleep longer? No idea on a name for the thread... I'm too brain dead to be creative...

Jen, thanks for your ideas. I would do the t-shirt thing, but my scent today is actually pretty gross - I've gone 2 days without showering (disgusting, I know - I've never done this before - it's just been SO busy with Megan, work, etc., I haven't had a moment to myself), and the thought of wrapping my baby up in something that smells like THAT is, well - LOL, not a good option. I finally got a shower this morning, so maybe I'll give her TODAY's t-shirt, hee-hee-hee.

Oh, I updated my baby website, if anyone wants to look at it. www.marchantbaby.homestead.com I'll warn you though, unless you have a fast connection, the pages load slowly, because of all the pictures.

Well, hope to talk to you all soon. Let me know who else is up for the Thanksgiving goal thingie....We can do this!

Sue
-----------------------
225 / 218 / 155)
Thanksgiving Goal: 108
:) :) :) :)

SueMoo
10-25-2001, 12:48 PM
Duh, obviously my Thanksgiving goal is 208, not 108...

Talk about unrealistic!

SueMoo
10-25-2001, 03:16 PM
Check out this link, too funny! (You have to have sound though, or it doesn't really make sense)

http://www.madblast.com/oska/humor_bin.swf

bc
10-25-2001, 06:10 PM
Sue, what great pictures! She is a real cutie. :)

Seems like I have been too busy with kids and such to get my workouts in. I know that is a lame excuse, especially when I have exercise equipment here at home. I need to get working on it! (pep talk here for myself). Anyway Isabelle and I have had a few doctor appointments and school committments. I also need to work something else for her because it seems she wants to be held and entertained much of the time we aren't going out and about.

I found my thyroid levels are out of wack and I have an appointment to see a doctor in two weeks. I wonder if this is why I have gained weight since I had Isabelle? I had them checked less than a year ago when I was pregnant and they were fine.

Isabelle is starting to get moving. She can now do a 360 in her crib or on the floor. Yikes! That means she might be crawling soon.

As for goals I would be willing to set one, however I would like to do something more behavorial. Like setting a goal for me to workout 4 times a week and start doing that asap so I can make it a habit. Would that work?

As for names for this group..........no ideas yet.

Barb

Jen
10-26-2001, 12:04 PM
Hi all, still around, just no time to post. Drake just started wailing like 2 seconds ago, of course he knows I'm on the computer! Still not sleeping through the night, well he's just 6 weeks today so I shouldn't be surprised. I have to go, he is really wailing now. Try again later.

Jen
10-26-2001, 01:28 PM
Made it back today, imagine that! He is off to sleep so I'm taking some ME time just to goof off instead of doing laundry or dishes or whatever. Anyway my idea for a group name is 'Postpartum Hotties', any thoughts on that name?

I've been getting out practically everyday for walks with the baby, today and yesterday it is really windy and while Drake doesn't mind the cold he doesn't like the wind so we haven't been out. I'm going to get my exercise bike set up and start back on that. I think my diet has been good, we don't have any junky snack food in the house so I've been able to avoid temptation in that way.

I quit pumping my breast milk last week. It was just getting to be too much. I hung in there for over 4 weeks so I think he has got the benefit of it. I still feel guilty about it a little bit. I wish the nurses and lacation consultants I talked to when he was born hadn't, well I think they are the ones that made me feel guilty. They just went on and on about how important it was and I felt bad because it seems like something that should be so easy. I wonder if in the back of my brain I didn't really want to do it in the first place?

Sue - lucky you having your daughter sleep that long, I'm so looking forward to that with Drake. congrats on the 7 lbs loss. Great work!

By the way I don't know if anyone else has had a look at this book, Secrets of the Baby Whisperer, but I got it from the library and there is a lot of really good information in there. I don't agree with everything she says but some of it has worked for me.

Well take care all and have a great weekend.

geneve
10-26-2001, 05:00 PM
Hello everyone. I am about to start with a really stupid question, but when is thanksgiving? I think I should start saying I would like to lose x amount by x date but Christmas is too far away.
Was looking forward to the gym today but the 4 year old was off colour and missed school, we had a hellish day and i ate loads of chocolate and am sitting here with a glass of wine now he is in bed.
However, the rice did work for leo, he really enjoys it and he has gone back to sleeping through the night. Everyone I have spoken to here says it is too early, but I will stick with it as it really seems to be doing nothing but good. His nappies are fine (well, as fine as they ever are) and I can tell he loves the stuff, when he smells it he gets all excited and smiles all the way through. In my favour, he is a very long baby and I have been nagged because he is a little underweight for his length in spite of what seems like constant breast feeding so I figure he is truly hungry.
Saw my brother yesterday, he has lost loads of weight in the past year, since he changed his job from teaching to being a postman (he's not good with stress). He looked so good and handsome and it made me determined to shake this off as soon as I can. I will be hitting that gym as often as I can manage.
I like the idea of being a 'hottie' not an expression I'm familiar with, hottie to me is a hot water bottle...but DH used to refer to me as 'Top Tottie'...
all the best, Geneve

Jen
10-27-2001, 09:14 AM
Geneve, your brother (if he is handsome and well built) would be considered a hottie. It is just a slang expression that has been popular lately here. I believe the American Thanksgiving is November 22, we have already had our Thanksgiving here in Canada. How old is Leo again? I'm sorry I don't remember when he was born. Drake is just 6 weeks and I think he is ready to start sleeping through the night soon.

I have a formula/bottle question for those of you not breast feeding. Does everyone sterilize their bottles or wash them in the dishwasher? I have read a few different things and I'm confused. If you sterilize your bottles at what time can you quit? I read at 4 months because at that point baby is crawling around sticking everything into his mouth anyway. Also about formula, you are suppose to throw it away after each feeding. Well what if you make it up and baby only takes half can you put it in the fridge and use it later? I don't want to do anything that is going to harm my son but I've been throwing out formula even though I try to make up only what I think he is going to eat right then. What does everyone else use, the powder or the concentrated liquid that you have to dilute? I was using the powder but when I did a cost analysis I discovered the concentrate was only a few cents more so I switched back to that. It is a lot easier to mix up. I wish I could afford the ready to serve.

Drake almost slept the night through. He was making noises at 4am which I thought were his usual waking up to get fed noises so I got him up and tried to get him to eat but he only took like 2 oz and I think most of that was done while he was asleep. I think I read in the Baby Whisperer book that you can get them out of the habit of getting up for a feed in the middle of the night that they don't really need by giving them a pacifier and gradually they stop waking up. They just wake up out of habit wanting some oral stimulation. This is the second night he has done this so maybe I will try this tonight if it happens again. Actually I got him up just at 7:30 to change his diaper and got him to take 2 oz of formula and he is back to sleep already. So you can see if I make up a 4 oz bottle, because usually he will take at least that much if not wanting more once in awhile, then I end up throwing out half the bottle. It seems like such a waste. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for me.

Take care all, have a nice weekend.

SueMoo
10-28-2001, 07:28 PM
Hi everyone! Man, I had a crappy diet weekend - DH brought Chili's Chicken Ceasar Salad and Awesome Blossom home for dinner on Friday, and that just kicked things off all wrong. We won't even talk about Saturday - but it involved going to the movies, and every bad diet thing that you can do there... Oh well, I started fresh this morning, and so far, so good. I didn't get much exercise either, except for walking around the mall while doing some shopping. I just made brownies to take to a neighbor who unexpectedly brought over a baby gift, and I didn't even lick the bowl. I immediately washed it out, along with anything else that had brownie batter on it. Score one for me.

DH let me go to bed early on Friday night, at 8:30, and then he came to bed after he got the baby to sleep at 10:15. Then she slept until 6AM. It was so great, I felt terrific yesterday. But last night she was up at 2:45, and again at 5:30. Waaaaah!

Jen, I use the ready to feed. It is expensive, but that's what I was using when I was half breastfeeding, half formula feeding her, and when I tried switching her to powder it really upset her stomach - her poop was all mucousy because her stomach lining got upset. There was nothing wrong with the powder, it was just switching her from something she was used to, to something else, that did it. So we keep her on it. I don't know the answer to if you can use formula if they don't eat it all - I've been throwing it out too, because I wasn't sure. So if someone knows, I'd love to hear... I use playtex nursers, and I just toss out the lining, and then wash and dry the nipples after each feeding. I sterilized them when I got them, but I haven't since then. Yikes, maybe I should?

I love the Baby Whisperer book too, although I haven't had much luck with putting things into practice... that's where I got the cluster feeding idea from.

Geneve, I love your posts, they just make me chuckle... You have a definite style to your writing - your personality really comes through....

Barb, I hope they are able to tell you something at your doctor's appointment. My sister had thyroid surgery recently, and has lost about 40 pounds without even trying since then. Man, I wish something was wrong with MY thyroid. (kidding, of course) Wow, Isabella is almost a crawler! I can't believe that Megan will be able to do that in a few months. It seems impossible! :> Are you nervous about her being mobile?

Megan is 9 weeks on Tuesday, I can hardly believe it. On the other hand, it seems like she's always been a part of our family, I can't picture it without her... :>

Take care guys,
Sue

245 (day before delivery)
225 (when started WW)
217 (present)
155 (goal)

Jen
10-29-2001, 11:28 AM
Sue - Drake's stool has changed colour too from going from the powder to the concentrate but otherwise he seems okay. My mom knows a woman that didn't sterilize any of her bottles or nipples and her son is now a healthy 6 year old so I don't know what to say about the sterilization issue. Until I hear different I guess I will continue to sterilize though I would love to be able to just do them in the dishwasher or sink.

I had a pretty bad weekend too, not necessarily eatingwise but I didn't get any exercise in and was just plain bored silly. The DH has usually been out of the house a lot and he was home all weekend practically which kind of upset my usual routine plus he wasn't feeling well so that just made it worse. I feel like I have to hang around when he is home and when he is like this he doesn't want to do anything or go anywhere. Oh well, hopefully next weekend will be better, we have my SIL's wedding on Saturday.

We need to decide on a name as this thread is definately getting too long, does anyone have any other suggestions?

bc
10-29-2001, 06:11 PM
No suggestions for a name. I am hopelessly uncreative when it comes to things like that.

I like this going to later pages because I subscribe to it. At least this way I get an e-mail reminder when someone responds. It sort of reminds me to respond and reminds me to keep in touch. If I didn't do this I would loose touch and become history much faster.

barb

Jen
11-01-2001, 08:12 AM
Morning all. Boy is it ever quiet in here these past few days. Everyone must be busy with their babies. Drake has been his usual handful. I feel that I have accomplished a lot if I can get anything done besides look after him and try to get some sleep. He is still waking up in the night, well he's only 7 weeks old so what am I expecting?

How was everyone's Halloween? We didn't stay home and give out candy, we had to go and pick up my hubby's tux for a wedding this weekend and then we went to his sister's to see her new house and visit with them for a bit. We are going to be busy, Friday night is the wedding rehersal and Saturday is the wedding. My husband is giving his sister away so needless to say he has to be around all day for pictures etc etc. We are taking Drake with us, any tips about taking the baby out for several hours? I just hope he doesn't start crying during the ceremony.

Still getting out regularly for my walks with the baby, about the only effort I am making towards exercise. The diet is good, I'm not eating much junk anyway.

I can hardly believe that it is November already, seems like just yesterday we were complaining about the heat and humidity.

Well take care all, I hope everyone is getting lots of sleep!

Jen
11-02-2001, 11:21 AM
Hellloooooo!!!!!! any one home?????

Well I had a bad day yesterday, ended up eating practically all of a big bag of chips. I felt so bad afterwards. UGH! Why did I do it? I was hungry and I was reading a book and thoughtlessly filling my face and before you know it a bag of chips is almost all gone. I might just as well eaten the whole thing. Otherwise the day wasn't too bad, I did get my walk in so it wasn't all bad.

Baby actually slept 4 1/2 hours last night before waking up for some formula. I've tried just giving him a pacifier with no luck, he wants food even though he only takes a couple of ounces. I've read too about giving babies diluted formula instead of full strength and increasing the dilution gradually til it is mostly water and they won't bother to wake up just to take water. Anyone done this?

I hope someone checks in again soon, I'm going batty talking to myself.:)

SueMoo
11-02-2001, 12:59 PM
Hi there! Sorry that I haven't checked in. It's been a crazy couple of days - doctors appointments, dentist appointments, work, Halloween - crazy. And this weekend is really full too - a party tonight, helping my brother move tomorrow, stuff with DH's family tomorrow night, and my mom's birthday on Sunday. Whew, we'll need a weekend AFTER the weekend.

Jen, I've heard of the formula thing, but haven't tried it. It sounds logical though. I think that TIME was what solved Megan's waking up at night every 3 hours, rather than anything I did. I'll bet you that by the time Drake is 9 weeks old, he'll be sleeping for 6-7 hours at a stretch... Doesn't make it any easier right NOW though, I know. This week Megan has finally gotten over needing to be held for her daytime naps. (Before this week she absolutely wouldn't sleep by herself). I'm probably jinxing it by saying something about it. Watch, today she'll wake up if I don't hold her... She is also starting to lengthen out her daytime naps now, FINALLY. She usually only sleeps for 30 minutes at a time - she slept for 1.5 hours in the morning yesterday, and 3 HOURS (!!!) in the afternoon. Those are the longest naps she's ever taken, in her LIFE. I was shocked, and kept checking on her to see if she was alive, LOL. I'm hoping she will do it again today, that it wasn't just a fluke. I got so much done yesterday afternoon.

Did everyone have a good Halloween? Megan was a ducky. She was cute, but her costume was pretty lame. I procrastinated buying her a costume until, ahem, October 31st. So of course there was nothing left. Her costumer was just a thin yellow sleeper with a hood on it. The hood had a thin little felt beak. Oh well. She's cute anyway. We went to a big party our church threw for the neighborhood - called a Trunk or Treat. Everyone brings their cars down to the church parking lot, decorates the trunks and gives out candy to the kids. There must have been 50-60 cars, and HUNDREDS of kids. It was great. There were some really adorable kids. We vastly underestimated how much candy we would need though, so we were all out in about 10 minutes, hee! Halloween was a success for me, because I didn't eat a single piece of candy. I wasn't even tempted. YAY! I feel like I'm getting in the swing of this dieting thing.

I am LOVING Weight Watchers. It is so easy, I can't believe it. This is the first time since I've been married that I've been able to stay on a diet for longer than a week. How sad is that! I actually think that I can do this. The only sucky thing is that it will take SO long to lose all of this weight. I already have the baby weight off, but it doesn't make that much difference since I got pregnant at such a heavy weight. That's the hard part - staying motivated when losing is so slow. Plus, I have so much to lose, that nobody will even notice that I'm losing weight until I've lost like, 50 pounds. Because even after I lose 25, I'll still be so chunky that I won't look much different, you know? It's a bummer....

Megan went to the doctor, she weighs 13 pounds, and is 23 inches long. :> She had 3 shots, but did really well with them - hardly cried at all, and they didn't seem to affect her afterwards. Not like last time she got a shot - last time she cried for 15 minutes afterwards, and was cranky for days.

I'm going to try to be better about posting every day - I hope everyone else will give it a shot too? I really don't want this thread to die - I don't know about you ladies, but I really need the support. Thanks Jen, for keeping us alive, LOL. OK, this was the longest post in the history of posting. If any of you made it this far, you have far too much time on your hands, LOL. :> Sorry for the length, guess I stored up things to say.
Take care everyone, and post, post, post! :>

Sue:)

bc
11-02-2001, 01:05 PM
You are not alone. I have just been too busy to write.

The kids are home from school and I have mine and some extras.

Barb

Jen
11-05-2001, 08:34 AM
I had a nice long reply typed in and somehow it got dumped. Figures. I had a really miserable evening last night and I was venting about it. The DH is being a miserable so and so. I don't even want to go there again. Basically he says to me that he is depressed, feels like a failure and has no joy or happiness in his life. Well of course I get upset and he can't understand why. Then this morning he gets all angry when the alarm goes off. He stayed up til 1am and he is up at 6:15am and he is wondering why he is tired? Actually the baby slept through most of that so he can't blame the baby for keeping him awake. I'm not going to go into it again, right now I just want to go back to bed while the baby is sleeping. I'll check in again later.

bc
11-05-2001, 12:49 PM
Jen, sometimes I think we share a life -or at least a husband. I have been attributing this (well at least my husbands malaise) to a midlife crisis. He is turning 40 in a few months.

Hang in there!

I am totally getting depressed. I know I have gained weight since the baby was born and I can't go any further up! I have an appointment at the doctors on Thursday. Let's hope they can help. I don't think I am eating enough to cause this increase in size and I refuse to buy bigger clothes!!!!!

Barb

SueMoo
11-05-2001, 01:08 PM
Jen, I'm sorry that you're having such a crappy time of it. That's a rotten thing for your hubby to say to you. Sheesh, sometimes I wonder if they LISTEN to what they are saying. How on earth would saying something like that improve things... Hugs to you...

Barb, I'm getting depressed too. I went through my closet the weekend before last and donated a BUNCH of clothes to the Goodwill, and packed up my maternity clothes, so that I can't wear them anymore. So I have about, um, four outfits that I can wear right now. And I refuse to buy new fat clothes too. Well, hang in there. I hope that the doctor's visit is productive for you...

I got on the scale for my weekly weigh in, and found that I had maintained, and not lost. I am majorly bummed. I did SO WELL last week - went to THREE parties this weekend (a record for me), and was so good - didn't cheat once. Helped my brother and sister in law move on Saturday, ran up and down the stairs about a hundred times carrying heavy boxes. And no loss. What the #$%@*!?! I'm hoping that I'm retaining water and will see a big loss next week. But I'm bummed. Hey, I could have cheated and gotten the same result. Oh well. I'm trying to shake it off.

Had a huge fight with my mom last night after a family birthday party. Won't go into it, but she drives me batty. Well, she drives ALL of her daughters up a wall. Ugh.

Take care all,
Sue

Saying - "We can do this!" "I think." "Maybe." "Oh, shoot, just give me a cookie......"

marydave
11-05-2001, 01:09 PM
I can't believe it has been this long since I made it to these boards, so so busy. I can relate to the gaining weight after the baby. I gained 28.5 with Ryan and within two weeks of delivery I lost 33.5 but sadly enough I have put 6 back on. It isn't any wonder, on Friday I was so bored, can you imagine having time to be bored with a three month old, anyway by 10 am I had eaten a bowl of cereal an entire box of macaroni and cheese and a glass of diet coke. I was so sick I put the baby down and ran to the washroom thinking I'd be sick. I really need to get back on track. I have been exercising a little, atleast a little more then ever but I still need to get back on the WW123. I'd appreciate any suggestions you all can give to get and stay motivated. I turned 37 yesterday and can't believe I am this big still at this age. I Need Help!!!!!!! or a kick in the big butt!!!! wishing you all lots of rest and luck on getting fit.
Mary:dizzy:

Jen
11-05-2001, 01:20 PM
Well it sounds like we are all going through a rough patch. I thank goodness that I have my baby, right now it feels like he is the only bright spot in my life. I don't know how my husband can look at his beautiful son and think he is a failure and there is no joy and happiness in his life. The funny thing is that 5 minutes after saying all this he is down on the carpet with the baby playing with him. I just don't get it.

On the weightloss side I am maintain as well. Luckily I didn't buy a lot of maternity clothes, just a couple of pairs of loose pants. I had so many 'fat' clothes I didn't have to buy much of anything. Also being pregnant in the summer is good too because you can get away with shorts and t-shirts.

So what can we do to shake us out of this rut? I wish I knew.

I just got a phone call from the DH, he is still in a mood, worse than before. I can see that we are going to be fighting for a few days. Great, just what I need. Now I feel the urge to dive into the cookie jar but instead I think I will pick up baby and take him out for a walk. Take care all, hope you are having a better day than I am.

geneve
11-05-2001, 05:35 PM
Oh no...sorry it's been so long, Kids got colds and I got an inner ear infection...and it was half term here too. Generally a nightmare. BUT I have managed to stay going to the gym, nothing to do iwht the fact they have a free creche!!! Have beem hanging on to the exercise bike with the world spinning round me. i haven't lost any weight but I know I am changing shape, my clothes feel different and a friend commented on how trim I was looking yesterday. I feel good, apart from thebalance problem.
My brother clled in today and was trying to get me to try the California diet...sounds like slim fast to me, also a friend is raving about a blood type diet, but they are mere novicec in the world of doets, having tried all kinds i really don't think anything works apart from trying to make gradual changes in the way you eat...dieting does make you fat, and I have heard quitting heroin has a higher sucess rate than staying thin by dieting, so I'll stick at the gym, I'll learn to love my body when it is strong no matter what shape it is...or at least I'll try to. Don't you guys ever look at your bodies and think 'well, you may be fat but you make great babies'? I had that thought the other day and it cheered me up a treat...my lumpy old frame can still work miracles, think of all those models too skinny to reproduce....
just a thought anyway. Hope you are all managing to cope with the babes.......

Dreamer
11-05-2001, 09:00 PM
Hi everyone

I used to post on the pregnant and keeping fit thread. Not that I did (keep fit!)

My dd is approaching 7 months old and I'm still carrying an extra 20 pounds. My problem is I eat like a horse (and breastfeeding cannot be the reason for all of it) - and lots of junk at that. I'm an emotional eater and went of anti-deps when I got pg. Also don't have the best relationship with my bf. BUT...

I'm ready to lose it now and get back to where I want to be. I'm in Australia, so in 3 weeks, summer starts. Even if it is too late to be slim this summer, it isn't too late to feel better about myself.

I'm forcing myself off to the gym right now. Ouch. Hope you don't mind me butting in and good day vibes to everyone
S
176 (9months pg)/150/130

Jen
11-07-2001, 08:50 AM
Hi all. Well things are better on the homefront. The hubby and I had a talk about some stuff plus his work is better due to this guy that was giving him grief getting fired so things are looking a bit better. The baby is doing well, actually slept 5 1/2 hours straight last night, I feel human this morning! I have tried the cluster feeding and rice cereal in his formula but nothing so far is getting him to sleep any longer than that. Well time will probably take care of it faster than anything I can do. Dietwise was terrible yesterday, too many Halloween candies! Well they'll soon be gone and then I'll have Xmas treats to try and avoid. On the plus side I did drink 2 large bottles of water so that is something good at least.

Dreamer - you certainly are welcome to join in and post with us! Hope things are looking up with the bf.

Geneve - great work staying with the gym. That is a good point about being fat but making great babies! My hubby and I are both overweight but our baby is about the cutest thing going. I'd like to lose weight though so I can set him a good example.

Take care all, have a great day.

geneve
11-07-2001, 09:32 AM
Hi everyone, Jen, I'm pleased things are looking up for you,about time!:)
I had some exciting news yesterday, I wote an article about post natal depression and in a mad moment yesterday i e-mailed it to a mother and baby magazine. Thought i would hear no more but I had a reply a few hours later saying they really liked it and would publish it!!I'm stunned but very excited. They design the magazines very early and apparently my article won't be in print until the March 2002 edition, but still it feels good to have that to look forward to. So do you think I can call myself a professional writer as well as a painter and reflexologist and mother and wife!:lol:
Missed gym today and was sorry for it, but forgot to bring no1 son's lunch into school and by the time I had fought my way back through the rush hour it was too late for the creche.Oh well, in the bigger scheme of things I don't suppose it will matter much.
Dreamer- emotional eating is the worst, it'slike PMT you know when you're doing it but cannot stop. Wish I could...but you are doing well. I have more like 60lbs to lose.....
Anyway, good luck to us all, may the calorie fairy smile on us.
Geneve

geneve
11-07-2001, 09:33 AM
OH I MEANT TO ADD I THINK IT'S TIME I STARTED A NEW THREAD BEFORE HTIS GETS TOO LONG AND TOO OLD. WILL FOLLOW SOMEONE'S SUGGESTION AND CALL IT 'POST PARTUM HOTTIES',
GENEVE

KiMkImKiM
11-11-2001, 10:12 PM
This is kinda out of place, but thought you ladies might be able to help..
A friend of mine is breast feeding.. how many extra points do they recommend daily for women who are breast feeding? I would assume that it is quite a few..

Thanks
Kim

geneve
11-12-2001, 02:39 PM
re points: can't remeber off the top of my head but you're right it's lots, you get about 500 extra calories if the baby s under 6 months old if thathelps.Geneve,

KiMkImKiM
11-12-2001, 03:16 PM
Thanks!
Actually, I found the points.. :) glad to see that it is quite a few extra points :)

have a nice day
Kim