Weight Loss Support - What's Your Favorite Motivational Quote Or Saying?

juliebee
11-06-2006, 10:23 PM
What is your favorite quote or saying that keeps you motivated?

lilybelle
11-06-2006, 10:26 PM
"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels".

HarpoChicoGroucho
11-06-2006, 11:05 PM
F. Scott Fitzgerald : "Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."

Success is sweet and sweeter if long delayed and gotten through many struggles and defeats." -Amos Bronson Alcott

This can apply to weight loss, but it's not really about motivation, but more of philosophy on life:

"Every time you wake up and ask yourself, "What good things am I going to do today?", remember that when the sun goes down at sunset, it will take a part of your life with it."
Indian proverb

Sassy_Chick
11-06-2006, 11:22 PM
It's not whether you get knocked down. It's whether you get up again.
Vince Lombardi

boaterswife
11-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Do or do not, there is no try ~Yoda

Soulmia
11-07-2006, 06:14 AM
Not weight loss related-- but it's:

Of all the things I've lost in life, i miss my mind the most! :lol:

srmb60
11-07-2006, 06:48 AM
I have so many! Um .....
Eat less and move more.

Meg
11-07-2006, 06:49 AM
If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't ... you'll find an excuse.

ZedAus
11-07-2006, 08:42 AM
"You'll never achieve extraordinary results by taking average measures." - Skwigg

"If you really want to lose, you'll find a way, and if you don't want to, you'll find an excuse. It's up to you." (Sorry, don't know the source)

"If you could have done no more, then there can be no sense of failure." (Don't know source of this one either)

Zelma

ZedAus
11-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Oops... just realised that Meg has one of the same ones. It must be a good one huh?

jillybean720
11-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Anything worth having is worth working for!

As much as I hate the structure of the sentence (ugh, it ends with a preposition! Can you tell I'm a technical editor/writer? :p ), I love the message.

Alora199
11-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Build A Bridge... And Get Over It... If I've messed up, fallen short of my healthy eating, slacked off on my exercise instead of beating myself up over it.. I build a bridge.. lol

finn
11-07-2006, 11:57 AM
falling down is not defeat - not getting back up again is.

BlueToBlue
11-07-2006, 01:49 PM
The ones in my signature.

"Never go back, only go forward."

I don't know if it counts as a quote, but when I'm working out I frequently tell myself I can do anything for 1 minute when I'm trying to push myself to go just a little bit harder.

mtp_and_hmp
11-07-2006, 02:48 PM
"Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time. - Mark Twain"

Get n healthy
11-07-2006, 03:18 PM
I may not be able to lose 100 pounds but i can lose 10 pounds 10 times.

We dont see people as they are, we see people as we are. Anias Nin

Goodbye Chubby
11-07-2006, 04:23 PM
If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't ... you'll find an excuse.

Yeah, that's a great one. My favorite is in my signature with the dancing carrot.

beautifulone
11-07-2006, 09:48 PM
"Never go back, only go forward."

I really like this one!

Beach Patrol
11-08-2006, 11:11 AM
When offered something I am trying to avoid or eat less of:

"No thanks. It looks better on you than it does on me!"

Nikaia
11-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Not a quote exactly, but what I ask myself when I'm about to do something food-related: "What will this do for me? Will it have a positive effect or negative effect? What will I gain from it? Is the gain worth the effect?"

cathrynb
11-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Greetings:

I have two that have been equally important to me. The first came, of all places, of a circa-1975 Planned Parenthood booklet. "You won't wake up at age 40 and be able to play the harpsichord. You have to work at growing and being."

The second one I heard at a lecture on women in the construction trade: "Do something every day toward your goal."

srmb60
11-09-2006, 07:17 AM
from Jennifer's signature .....
“If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.” - Lao Tzu

amyn
11-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Take a risk, see what you are made of, repeat.

alinnell
11-09-2006, 03:52 PM
My Mother's aunt used to say this when asked if she wanted seconds or dessert. Mom said this aunt was the "skinny" one. I'm so amazed I still remember it--it's been years since I thought of it!

I've had a fanciful sufficiency of gastronomical satiety. Any further indulgence would be superfluous.

JerseyGyrl
11-09-2006, 04:33 PM
"If You Did What You Always Did, You'll Get What You Always Got" - Dr. Phil McGraw

"You Can Not Change What You Refuse To Acknowledge" - Dr. Phil McGraw

spanky
11-11-2006, 03:49 AM
One of my favorites:

If not NOW, When?

Ipa;)

passionfruit
11-11-2006, 07:12 AM
Not sure who originally said it but it has stuck in my head since reading it:

"It takes 20 years of hard work to become an overnight success"

srmb60
11-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Edmonton Oilers coach Craig MacTavish ... gorgeous and smart too ... If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.

2frustrated
11-16-2006, 10:18 AM
The rewards of the disciplined path are greater than the sacrifices you make to persue it - Tom Venuto

Weight is just a reaction to lifestyle, and while it can be manipulated a bit in the short term, in the end, your lifestyle shows. – wndranne 3FC

If you love the results, learn to love the process – Mel 3FC

Every day do something that will inch you closer to a better tomorrow. - Doug Firebaugh

Set your goals high, and don't stop till you get there. - Bo Jackson

Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it is not happening. Sometimes you might be improving your health in less visible ways. - Jeremy Likness

Hard work does pay off, harder work pays off even more – Tom Holland

"It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop." —Confucius

Size matters not. Look at me, judge me by size do you? - YODA

MariaOfColumbia
11-16-2006, 11:30 AM
You know, I used to think that it was awful that life was so unfair.

Then I thought, "Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? And all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?"

So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.

Marcus Cole, year 2260, Babylon 5

meghan714
11-16-2006, 11:07 PM
The quote in my signature is what keeps me going, reminding me that as a human I have control over what I feel and do.

OnePerDecade
11-17-2006, 12:10 AM
"You look like an entirely different person!"
My daughter's stepmother said that to me last week on our play date (yes, she is married to my ex-husband but I figure my daughter can't learn to be a great woman without seeing women acting in honorable ways). That one honest, blurted out compliment has kept me on track for the last week.
My other one is this: When I lay down at night, I ask myself "Have I done anything today to make my life better or have I done something to make it worse?" It feels so good to be able to list what I did for myself and therefore for my loved ones!

kiwichic
11-19-2006, 10:06 PM
:) Eat for the body you want , not the body you have... :)

Lifeguard
11-19-2006, 10:33 PM
"You look like an entirely different person!"
My daughter's stepmother said that to me last week on our play date (yes, she is married to my ex-husband but I figure my daughter can't learn to be a great woman without seeing women acting in honorable ways).

Good for you! If more of us could put ourselves aside for the good of our children in these situations our children would be much better off.