Weight Loss Support - A-HA Moments?

View Full Version : A-HA Moments?

Sojourner
11-06-2006, 01:11 PM
It would be great if everyone could share some of their "A-HA moments"... you know those insights that suddenly click in your brain and you finally get it? Or you figure something out and are suddenly able to make a radical change or commitment?

For me the biggest "a-ha" came when I finally understood what role my self-esteem and self-worth plays in being overweight. I know we all hear it over and over again about "loving ourselves" etc. but it didn't truly hit home unil recently for me. Not too long ago we adopted an adorable pug puppy who is our first pet. Well we have both totally fallen in love with the little guy and would do anything for this dog! I take him out in all sorts of weather... walk him several times a day... bathe him... groom him... buy him treats and toys... feed him the best food available on the market... you get the picture... spoiled puggy! Well very early on I realized that I was willing to do things for this dog that I was unwilling to do for myself! Exercising and healthy eating! Why was I willing to walk this dog everyday (2-4 15-30 minutes walks everyday) but totally unwilling to walk myself? Why would I only feed this dog healthy, expensive dog food while feeding myself junk? And then it hit me... I would do anything for this little guy because I really love him and I believe he is worth the sacrifice. On the other hand, I wouldn't do any of these things for MYSELF because I did not believe I was worth the sacrifice and didn't truly love myself. A-HA!

So now whenever I am faced with a choice about eating or exercising I ask myself if I am worth the sacrifice and the answer is always yes. I am worth it. I do deserve it, no matter what the cost. It has radically changed my behavior and has resulted in very successful weight loss.

Can everyone else share their A-HA moments for the benefit of the group?

Oh yeah... and here is a picture of my little guy... :)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n176/wagnerkester/JavainSweater_Thumbnail.jpg

jcatron243
11-06-2006, 01:44 PM
I had several little moments adding up to one big one. But I was in the bathroom trying on interview clothes when I actually saw myself in the mirror. You know it was like OMG is that what my body actually looks like? It just happened to coincide with a co-workers brother asking us to help his sister lose weight. (I did give him the speech about her needing to do things for herself) So I decided I would set a good example for her by taking care of myself and eating healthy. (She likes to Join in with what we are all doing) She walked with us a few times, but she hasn't made the decision to lose weight so I know she wont and I cant make her.
I was serious about losing weight! I wanted to lose at least 50 pounds but more important I wanted to start treating myself better. I have good self-esteem and have for several years. But, I was more concerned with what Dh or the kids wanted. I decided I will do this for myself. I started my new life on Aug 14th and I am never looking back!

jellybelly06
11-06-2006, 05:11 PM
I have had a few "aaahaa!" moments, some easy some serious. The easy moment: calories IN calories OUT! Hello, I eat to much, and sit to much! That is why I am fat, simple math!! The serious one is I realized that I am taking from people who are hungry. I have always wanted to sponser children who needed food, but never really had the $. Well, if I cut out the amount of food I shouldn't be eating I would have the $ to do that each month. I am currently looking into the best program to sponser a child, and I will never take from them again! Jelly

juliebee
11-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Sojourner, your dog is adorable!

My big A-HA! (actually it was more of an AAAAAAAAAH!!!!) moment was seeing a picture of myself and hardly recognizing my body. That was when I knew it was time to get my butt in gear!!

Sojourner
11-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Oooooo is that your baby in your avatar!? How adorable!

juliebee
11-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Oooooo is that your baby in your avatar!? How adorable!

No.. I just thought he was cute!
I have a cockapoo who doesn't know he's a dog :)

Sassy_Chick
11-06-2006, 10:32 PM
One of my biggest A-HA moments just happened actually. I've been working overtime so I record my shows and watch them later. I just got to watch Oprah's show where she had Dr. Oz on about his new diet plan.

I have seen him on her show before and I want to buy his books as well. But today when he showed the fatty Omentum and the fatty liver I started to cry because I knew what he was showing was me. :cry: And he went on to say that being overweight is just like having cancer. So it opened up my eyes (after I stopped crying) and where I know its a daily struggle, I want to try better. I am currently working with my own dr. who pretty much said what Dr. Oz said, but why is it that one person can tell you one thing and you *don't listen* but someone on tv says the exact same thing and you *listen*?

So anyways.........that was one of my many A-HA moments........

Sojourner
11-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Yup I have seen Dr. Oz with the nasty organs compared to the healthy organs. DEFINITELY an eye opener!

Sakai
11-07-2006, 12:48 AM
I had a few moments but for me the best one was finally understanding that I don't have to change for anyone but myself. Somedays I feel happy and healthy and the last thing on my mind is weight loss and that's fine.

The moment that made me want to lose weight the most was when My Ex took a picture of me on my camera phone when I was changing clothes. He meant it to be cute but when I saw it, all I saw was my gut hanging over my pants and I almost threw the phone and was so ashamed that he saw me with my gut hanging out. (this was a few months ago. things are a bit better now ^_^)

lilybelle
11-07-2006, 12:56 AM
A little over a yr. ago I took a good look in the mirror. I felt hopeless and sad. I didn't think I could ever lose the weight. I started by first just trying to get outside more. Plant flowers and do yard work. A week later my Dr. chewed me out because of all the health problems that I had that were greatly exacerbated by my obesity. I decided that very day to change my life. Get some exercise and eat healthy. I have had bumps in the road, but I kept on going.

Alora199
11-07-2006, 11:06 AM
I think the general consensus is that it wasn't ONE single thing but rather a series of smaller "aha" moments that led us to our weight loss journey's. After several years of trying every diet, joining and quitting WW three times, spending God knows how much money on weight loss pills I finally realized that in order for me to lose weight and keep it off, i had to find something I could live with for the long run... no exclusions of food or food groups was going to do it. I began keeping a food journal and was surprised at how much I actually ate. Those four or five hershey kisses here, half of my son's leftover hamburger, vending machine snacks really add up. I also was looking over some family vacation photo's from January when we went to Florida and was disgusted with how out of shape I was. I realized I'm too young to let myself go and that if I keep on the same track I will be continuing to put myself at risk for severe health problems. As a nurse, I see the effects obesity has on my patients, young women, in their early forties who are affected by Diabetes II, heart disease, CHF, high blood pressure, and all b/c they are overweight. It's sad and heartbreaking when you know that if these women were to lose the weight the majority of their health problems would resolve.

passionfruit
11-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Like some of you, I myself didn't notice how big I was until I saw my reflection in mirrors or windows. When I looked in the mirror at home, I thought I was 'O.K.' but then I came to realise that I wasn't at all fine when I walked into a public toliet and stared gloomily at my rather large figure in the mirror (the biggest one there). That's when the 'AHA!' popped into my head and waged war against bulge!

rockinrobin
11-08-2006, 10:53 AM
I also had several "A-HA" moments and one of them was - I was in the mall and I passed a dark store with a glass front and I saw my reflection and I just couldn't believe how WIDE I was. Also I had been having a very bad year with my knees, walking for any length of time was just out of the question and I knew that I just couldn't go on like this anymore. I was also seriously worrying how I would ever make it through any of my daughters' weddings, with all the standing and dancing and all the energy that that entails, which is kinda crazy because it's far away, but I couldn't get that out of my head.

But the real cllincher was I banged into an acquaintance while dining out in a chinese restaurant and she was soooo skinny, like almost too skinny and 10 months earlier she was as heavy as I was. And it just clicked in my head if she can do it then why the heck couldn't I, it truly was possible. We have since gone on to become better friends and she told me that she had been 289 pounds, so I was right on the mark in thinking she was just as heavy as I was. I think I really needed the visual aspect of it to open up my eyes and see that losing all this weight is indeed doable. I was very fortunate to have that, I don't think most people do.

Lovestorun
11-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Okay so my "A-HA" moment had to happen twice for it to really really click
with me. And both of them involved my brother-in-law. The first happened at a party at his house, my hubby and I were sitting on a bench on his patio and he (my brother in law) came over to me and said "did you know this bench has a weight limit". Needless to say I was very embarrassed and hurt. I seriously had to hold my husband back from decking him. :D
The second happen while we (my brother in law and I) were walking into the garage at night and so we would not trip on the light to the garage door opener we were stepping over the beam of light and I guess I did not lift my foot high enough and I made the light come on and he said to me "your so big you can't even lift your foot high enough how pathtic".

The real ironic thing is he is no small person (beer belly and all:) ) and he has the nerve to talk. I am just not a mean person so I never said anything back to him even though I could have said plenty. :mad:

Well, I lost the weight (almost to goal :) ) and he is still a mean spirited and BIG man.
Ha Ha who should be laughing now.....:D ;)

gettingsmaller
11-08-2006, 11:40 AM
First of all Sojourner you baby is absolutely beautiful.
I think my moment was last Christmas when my 2 brothers, sister and I got together for a picture. My brothers were so handsome and thin and my sister was so beautiful and thin and I was so fat and that is all I could see. This year we are doing pictures again per my request to replace the one of me fat. I may not be thin but I am not obese either so maybee I will see myself instead of just the fat.
Terrie

Nikaia
11-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Mine was getting on a scale after I'd totally let myself go over the summer. I saw 198 and freaked out. It was that "Not ME. I'M not the kind of person who weighs 200 lbs! I'm too young to weigh 200 lbs!" And that made it pretty obvious that I had to do something about it. I haven't lost much yet...but then I've slacked off a lot lately.

I'm hoping that my dad's offer will keep me motivated. I have 38DDD breasts, and have wanted reduction for years. But it's expensive, and the verdict from my insurance (well, my dad's insurance) was "large but not abnormally large". Since I wasn't having to have bras specially made or do extensive physical therapy, they refused to pay for it. I was going to save up for it, but the cost is looking to be about $6000. I'm a college student. I can barely pay my monthly bills, much less save up $6000. I figured it would end up being one of those "maybe in ten years" things. But then my dad offered, that when I reach my goal weight he'll pay for the surgery for me. I need to make that a much more concrete reality in my mind for it to click...but once it clicks it'll be the best motivation I could ask for.

almostheaven
11-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Mine came from just bending down to tie my shoes. I found myself huffing and puffing, and I'd quit smoking a year earlier. But I realized that for someone born with heart defects, carrying an extra 100+ pounds around was just asking to be buried early. I see my dad at 68, needing two diabetic shots a day, a lift chair and a scooter just to get through his day. He could manage all that if he could ever manage his weight. The moon pies and honey buns that were on his counter this week don't help matters. But I can't tell him that. Anymore than someone could have told me my bag of Twix as an appetizer wasn't doing me any good. Although he's my stepdad, my grandmother has diabetes, so it still runs in my family. And with my heart issues...well only I could make a difference. I wanted to be around a little longer, and I wanted to feel good when I reach my 60's, 70's, even 80's. I don't want to be dependant upon a bunch of gadgets, or friends and relatives to help get me through my day. I want to be able to bend down to pick up my own newspaper.

People have mentioned quality of life vs. quantity. And that giving up just having fun, eating what I want and enjoying life was giving up quality. I say that's B.S. I'm ADDING quality. Because when I am in those golden years, I hope to enjoy a far better quality of life than my father enjoys now. Getting in shape, and keeping in shape, will put me at a higher advantage of being able to stay on my feet and out of chairs and beds in my old age. You can have quantity without sacrificing the quality. It all depends on what one considers quality I guess.

Nikaia
11-09-2006, 03:08 AM
It all depends on what one considers quality I guess.

Truer words were never spoke. Is having gourmet 6-course meals every day for lunch and dinner "quality"? Or is being able to run a 5k or even 10k "quality"? Everyone's gotta set their priorities...you gotta decide what quality means to YOU, and work from that.

medic4life
11-09-2006, 10:11 AM
I wear a uniform to work and I've always been a 34 inch waist, not that I should be. Then I gained weight and I had to order new uniform pants and always wore gym pants at home b/c my jeans didn't fit. Well I ordered 36 inch pants and the company sent me 36.5 inch and before long I was filling them out...........filling them in tightly!!!:mad: So that's when I decided this insanity has to come to an end. Now when I wear the 36.5 pants, my co-workers laugh so I don't wear them any more, they were put in the garbage. I'm done with 36 and soon I'll be done with 34's and never to return. I imagine I'll be at 30 and 32 and that will be just fine. It's funny, I knew I weighed over 200lbs but that didn't get me. It was how my clothes fit or didn't fit.

Cheers,
Robin

swultragirl
11-09-2006, 05:30 PM
I think mine was actually after I'd lost about 10 pounds. I'd been putting all my food in FitDay because something had been upsetting my tummy and I was trying to figure out what it was. I found myself eating much less because I was writing it down, and it just sort of clicked for me looking at the numbers.

It was a total shock to discover that when I didn't eat as much, I didn't weigh as much. I thought people had been lying (or at least exaggerating) all those years! But once I saw what I was really eating, I realized they were right. It wasn't my metabolism, it was what I was giving it to work with!

Sounds silly, but I'd just never *felt* it before, kwim?

kittymuse
11-12-2006, 11:28 PM
A-ha moments where I realized I needed to do something:
- when I had to have my gallbladder out
- when I couldn't keep up with my classmates in floor hockey and my knees hurt like crazy the next few days
- when someone compared me to an actress who is known for being very large, and I thought about it and realized I'm larger than she is
- seeing pictures of myself next to other people I thought of as large and realizing I'm larger than they are

I had a duh! moment recently where I realized something that should be very simple: the more I avoid the things I crave, the less I crave them, the easier they are to avoid... if I give in to a craving I fall back into a pit until I can wean myself off again.

Trophy Wife
11-13-2006, 12:30 AM
I had a series of "flickers" over about a year or so. The absolute last straw came this August when I went back to college to take a class. I was too fat to fit into the desk. :o

I got in there but it was miserable. The semester is almost over and I'm still wearing the desk but it is better! I plan to be very comfortable by the time the spring semester starts in late January!

Melanie M.

lilybelle
11-13-2006, 04:52 AM
I thought of another A-HA moment for me. I was at my sisters house and her floor creaked real loud when I walked across it upstairs, My BIL looked at me like I'd just fallen through the floor. It was embarassing for me. I felt like the lady from the movies "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" where they had to reinforce the floor studs to accomodate her size. That immediately popped into my head at the time.

rockinrobin
11-13-2006, 05:47 AM
Trophywife, it's funny you should mention the desk. This Wednesday is parent-teacher conferences at my daughter's high school. And that's what kind of desk/chairs they have and I also just barely squeezed into one. And I was thinking come this Wednesday night, maybe, just maybe it'll be a little easier.

Trophy Wife
11-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Trophywife, it's funny you should mention the desk. This Wednesday is parent-teacher conferences at my daughter's high school. And that's what kind of desk/chairs they have and I also just barely squeezed into one. And I was thinking come this Wednesday night, maybe, just maybe it'll be a little easier.

I think you'll feel a BIG difference. You're 50 pounds lighter, after all. Good for you. :hug:

You know what I hate? I have several friends who love antiques. I hate those little frail chairs that they have sometimes in their homes. I pick the strongest looking one, I don't wiggle, and I pray, pray, pray!

Melanie M.

rockinrobin
11-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Trophywife, you would not believe the hours and days I have spent worrying about fitting in and breaking chairs. What about those inexpensive outdoor plastic chairs, I was always so afraid of breaking them and beach chairs and folding chairs oh and the list could go on and on.

KnitALisa
11-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Trophywife and fedup- All those, and I have an irrational fear of hammocks and porch swings. I'm terrified the screws are going to come loose and BOOM.

kittymuse
11-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Oh those stupid school desks! The worst ones I encountered were swing chairs screwed under tables, and the way they swung out meant that your thigh had to be about the size of my ARM to get between your chair and the one next to it. Owwww!

And theatre and stadium seats. I get bruises from the arms. *sigh* Someday I will fit.

rockinrobin
11-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Oh yes the hammocks and swings, I avoid those at all costs. The boom factor is too scary for me. But maybe one day..............you never know.

And of course theaters and stadiums and public buses and .............

But it is nice to be able to share this stuff with somebody. :wave:

Altari
11-14-2006, 12:27 PM
My face in pictures was what did it for me. For a while, I had a slightly heavy body and a thin face. But, when I couldn't have face shots taken anymore because I looked like the state puff marshmallow man, enough was enough. I'm still battling to get on track, though...

phantastica
11-14-2006, 01:14 PM
he is still a mean spirited and BIG man.
Ha Ha who should be laughing now.....:D ;)

Whoa! He sounds like a terrible man! I would avoid his toxic existence at all costs.

My A-Ha Moment ....

It was when I got off-track, and realized that even though I'd been thinner than I have been in years, one off-track bout of bad eating can make me feel like I'd gained back every single pound I'd lost.

srmb60
11-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Getting a heart rate monitor was pretty eye opening for me.
Strolling along with a heart rate of 91 is NOT what the books meant when they talked about intensity!

kateful
11-14-2006, 03:34 PM
In '07, I'll be 40 years old. Every single year of my life for at least the last 15 years, I've planned to be at a healthy weight before my birthday. So, every single year, I've started some kind of weight loss effort in January--"Great by 38", "Fine by 39", you get the picture.

"Fit by Forty" is going to stick. I'm working on my emotional eating. I've developed the exercise habit so that when I don't do it, I don't feel right. I've developed the journaling habit, which I intend to continue into maintenance and beyond.

Lovestorun
11-14-2006, 03:49 PM
[QUOTE=phantastica;1471774]Whoa! He sounds like a terrible man! I would avoid his toxic existence at all costs.

Believe me I used to avoid him but not anymore. A person like this it is no wonder that his own wife (my husbands sister) has an eating disorder-really can't image the kinds of things he says to her. :mad:
What is really worrisome to me is that they have a 15 year old daughter who he makes pig sounds at anytime she wants more of something to eat.:(

rockinrobin
11-16-2006, 04:10 PM

Update, went to parent-teacher conferences last night and I slid right in that chair with mucho room to spare. It felt great. In fact I was thinking they've got to be really uncomfortable for skinny people, what with all that space between the chair and the desk. But for me it was just right. :dance: We'll see what happens next year..................

crazynette826
11-17-2006, 11:43 PM
My A-ha moment came when my 5 y.o. nephew was sitting on my lap and we were reading stories. He told me to stop for a minute. So I did and he turned around looked me right in the eye and told me that I was beautiful, just like an angel. It caught me totally off guard. I just kissed him and said thank you and we continued with our story. Later that night I was thinking about him and how nothing phases him now, but soon it might. I don't ever want to be an embarassment to him. I don't ever want him to think of me as the "fat aunt," and not want me around. I also want more energy to keep up with him. He's a crazy boy, that never stops moving, but I love him to pieces. It was that night that I decided I really needed to be serious about losing weight.