Carb Counters - New Years Challenge Anyone ?

View Full Version : New Years Challenge Anyone ?

needtolose4me2
11-04-2006, 05:13 PM
OK It might seem a bit early to do this, but actually it's not. Only 8 more weeks til the end of the year! I thought that would be a nice amount of time to start a challenge.
If I'm going to jump back into this full swing, I need some incentive. What better than to start off the new year knowing we made a goal!
C'mon don't make me do this by myself. I set a goal of 10 lbs. thinking about makind it my final 15 but I don't know if it's doable. I wil decide for sure by Monday if I'm going to change it.

lilybelle
11-04-2006, 06:02 PM
With the holidays coming and being at goal, my new yrs. goal is to still be at my goal or less.

RobinW
11-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Im with you!!

My goal, to stay on the plan, stay with my workouts, not beat myself up when I mess up, get right back on plan when I mess up.

Weight goal....not really, I would like to fit into my new red dress for christmas. :)

needtolose4me2
11-04-2006, 07:42 PM
that red dress sounds like a great goal! You're right it doesn't necessarily have to be pounds. Even for lillybelle to keep her current weight going is a huge goal in itself.
Now, maybe if I lose those pounds, I'll buy myself a new red dress!!

sugarfreeprincess
11-04-2006, 08:56 PM
wow, 8 weeks... now thats a reality shock!i could do a lot in 8 weeks! 5 pounds a month would be awsome!!
its crunch and research time for me! time to make my gym routines and meal lists! I've started out novemvber on a bad note of not going to the gym in about a week or so. tonight im going and this will mark my start.

ready.. set... GO!

needtolose4me2
11-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Yay for you Princess! keep us posted so we know how you're doing! good luck!

sugarbaby269
11-04-2006, 10:17 PM
I would like to join this challenge. I'm doing low carb and have just started dieting recently. I'm pretty new at all the challenges, etc but My goal for New Years is to be down 20lbs. I hope, because the diet thing is new that my body will flip out and start melting. :D Wouldn't that be great. Plus I've added exercise into my schedule so I'm ready to go! Goal weight by NY's is 241. I hope I win the lottery too.... :D

SherryA
11-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Wow Sugarbaby. I'm not sure about that goal. I don't want to discourage you, but for me setting an unrealistic goal is self defeating. I do better setting modest goals and exceeding them rather than setting really high goals and not making them. 20 pounds in two months? It is doable on Atkins, but you have to remember that there are going to be a lot of temptations between now and the end of the year (for most people anyway with the holidays coming up).

My "modest" goal that I set before starting Atkins is 5 pounds before the end of the year. That was five pounds from 257 I was at 255 yesterday and that was down 8 pounds from the weigh I reached before I actually started working toward that new goal!

So with 3 pounds to go I expect to make my goal before the end of the year. May even make it next week. If so I'll set another modest goal of 5 more pounds. That's good enough for me. If I start expecting too much too fast it discourages me.

sugarbaby269
11-05-2006, 01:09 AM
:cry: *sniffs*

Well, I guess 20lbs is pretty out there... :cry: Maybe I'll make my goal 18lbs... :lol: Ok... How about ...no I'm sticking to 18 and that's all there is to it! :dust:

Sherry, Sherry, Sherry!!! You are doing simply marvahlous! Great weight loss and thanks so much for the tips. I think I'm still going to try for that 18 pounds though. I'm feeling quite determined and so far I keep on losing. Hopefully we'll see those results. Wish me luck! :crossed:

needtolose4me2
11-05-2006, 01:17 PM
sugarbaby, are you on Atkins? I think I was losing about 10 lbs a month in the beginning on that. but like sherry said, I rather be really surprised rather than really dissapointed. but hey, you know best what you may or may not be capapble of! So I say, if your comfortable with it, go for it! I would have liked to make mine 15,that would put me at my goal but since I really haven't been able to budge that scale inthe last 2 months, I think 10will be a big accomplishment for me. and hey, if I can get that extra off too, all the better!
Good luck everyone!

beach bum
11-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi Ladies:)

I'm up for the 8 week New Year Challenge. I like to lose my last 13 lbs & hit my goal weight of 140. Its going to be tough as Thanksgiving is coming, along with our Hawaiian Cruise Nov 26 to Dec 13 and finally Christmas Yikes!!!:yikes: Thats going to a challenge to stay low carbing between these three events.

But I'm not going to think negative,this time around. I really want to be a my goal at the end of this year. Thanks:thanks: needtolose4me for starting this challenge.

Hugs :) BB

needtolose4me2
11-05-2006, 02:41 PM
I know what you mean beachbum about the holidays! Thanksgiving will be the hardest for me.I just love stuffing and cranberry sauce but I have to remember what I would love more is to see myself rech my goal and start maintenance already! you are doing good! I see you have now passed me! I hope you make your goal! That Hawaiin cruise sounds awesome. I'm sure you should have plenty of healthy choices on the buffets!
Keepus posted! good luck!

sugarbaby269
11-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks need2lose4me2. :)
You all are probably right. I should make my goal 15lbs or something more realistic. I've never been on an official diet before so I'm just new at all this. I do know that when a person who is as heavy as me starts dieting and exercising that usually at first the weight just falls off. At least the first 20lbs or so. That's what I'm hoping for. I know the more I lose and the less I weigh will make my weight loss more difficult. How long did it take you to lose what you have already lost? You've done amazing!! :) :cheer:

beach bum How fun to get to go on a cruise!! Good luck with you diet and sticking to it. I don't know if I could!! :D (At least on the cruise).

lilybelle
11-05-2006, 04:51 PM
sugarbaby, There's nothing wrong with setting a higher goal. Just don't be discouraged if you come up short a little. I can honestly say that with starting Atkins (at 234 lbs.) and adding in walking (I was grossly inactive) that I lost 16 lbs. those first 2 weeks and then 2 lbs. a week for most weeks thereafter. I was strict with my eating plan and my exercise and the weight did "just fall off". So, there is a chance that you could do the same. Shoot for the moon was my philosophy. Everyone's body is different and we all lose at different rates, but it's great to hope for the best. I do know that after 6 weeks on Atkins, I saw my family Dr. and he accused me of using diet pills because I had lost 34 lbs. I never touched a diet pill.

needtolose4me2
11-05-2006, 10:10 PM
sugarbaby, Lillybelle has given great advice! why not shoot for the moon and since you are just beginning you could probably do it! I lost 40 lbs in 5 months. the last 2 months and these last 15 lbs are killing me. I actually upped my carbs for the last month (just because) and wound up gaining 3 lbs so that is why I decided it was time for this challenge. I'm psyched for you! I think it is possible if you want it bad enough!

sugarbaby269
11-06-2006, 02:13 AM
Thanks so much lilybelle and need2lose4me2 :grouphug: I'm really watching my carb/sugar intake. It's been a drastic change as far as the diet goes and I am going from inactive to semi-active so I think I can wing this thing off. If not at least I'll know I tried really hard. Today I passed up donuts... :tape: I had a major stressful evening but instead of turning to food to stuff those feelings down I drank some water... :D I'm pretty proud of myself. Anyway, Lilybelle, way to go on all the weight loss! I have a doctor's appt. in March and I hope to be down considerably. He saw that I had gained weight a couple months ago and said that I needed to do something about it. (As if I didn't know that) Anyway, I am making that one of my challenges. To get down to a certain point by that time. Like I said, I've never really had to diet and lose so much weight so I'm not sure how much a person can lose each week. I know that 2lbs a week is a good average so I figured add a couple more in there (with good dieting and exercise I should be able to do it) and I think I can do it. :) I sure hope I can lose 40 lbs in five months. That would be awesome!

RobinW
11-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Sugarbaby, if you are just starting induction....you will very likely loose a good chunk of your 20lbs in your first 2 weeks. Then the rest comes off a bit more slowly. I dont think 20lbs is unattainable especially if you are just starting out on this diet.

Dont lower your goal if you think you can do it. Go for it!! :cb: :cb:

Ive restarted induction today....red dress, here I come!

needtolose4me2
11-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Yay Robin! I stayed OP all weekend. I had a few close calls but got through it.

RobinW
11-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Good for you!! Good job!! :hug:

sugarbaby269
11-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Thanks Robin. :) I'm supposed to be doing the 6 week body makeover. It's good although I've cheated a few times but I'm still losing. I did have some salt this weekend with my tuna and hambuger so I'm holding a bit of water but I'll have to cut that out and see if I've lost anymore. I can feel my body getting smaller (haha maybe it's because I'm hungry) but I have a long long way to go. Thanks for the support and good luck getting into your red dress!

SherryA
11-06-2006, 08:55 PM
If you are just starting out and IF you work really hard at it and stay at induction level, 20 pounds probably IS possible. I know I lost 13.5 pounds the first week and a half when I first started Atkins. Of course, I started from a very high weight and I was doing strict induction.

It doesn't come off that fast any more, so I can't set unreasonably high goals, but I did lose 50 pounds in the first 8 months, and that was with on and off times mixed in. I was more ON than off, but my weight was going up and down like a roller coaster for awhile there.

I had a friend who did Atkins and consistently lost about 5 pounds a week doing strict induction. I was amazed by her, but she was also on thyroid medicine. My metabolism was never that stable, but my body would shut down and not burn as much if I wasn't careful. Eat too little or something and suddenly you can't lose.

needtolose4me2
11-07-2006, 11:36 AM
thats where I have been for the pst 2 months sherry! I'm hoping restarting strict induction will help me with this challenge.that's why I'm only shooting for 10 lbs.Inever thought I'd be hoping to lose 10 lbs in 8 weeks. I always thought it would come off quicker on atkins.

RobinW
11-07-2006, 11:46 AM
recommitted today :cb:

Have a great op day ladies!

sugarbaby269
11-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Hmmmm, you've got me thinking now Sherri. My metabolism is pretty shot so maybe I won't make this challenge. Either way I just hope to lose. I'll know more after this challenge how my body is working and what sort of dieter I am. I am trying really hard but it's hard to remember to eat all the time and then when stress comes I'm finding I tend to want to eat at those times. Just being aware of that though is one step forward and I'm realizing that I can contol what goes in my mouth.

SherryA
11-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Ok well I made my goal and exceeded it by half a pound today (goal was 252) so now I'm setting a new year end goal of another 5 pounds. New goal is 247.

needtolose4me2
11-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Thats wonderful Sherry! That's 30lbs right? you must be feeling great! I'm so happy for you!

needtolose4me2
11-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Down 3 lbs! Better than nothing! I think that's a pretty good start!:carrot:

aud
11-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi Everyone!

Found this place late last night and am psyched! Lost 60# on Atkins 10 years ago and 2 back surgeries and a 100#'s later---ready to dive back in to the low carb lifestyle.

I'm shooting for the moon with sugarbaby . . . 20#'s by New Years. (Promise NOT to beat myself up if I don't make it . . . gotta go check out whatever "myFitDay is--LOL!)

sugarbaby269
11-20-2006, 03:22 PM
I have a fat alien trying to possess me and it won't let go!!! I've been exercising but I can't seem to shake it. well other things are shaking.. LOLOL :lol: *sigh* Ok... I am definately going to have to watch the carbs or they're going to stick to me like glue. I'm hoping to be down a bit soon. I don't want to get on the scale yet for fear it hasn't budged.

aud.... welcome and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will come of all this stinking fat... it's suffocating me. LOL

aud
11-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Weird you should mention "suffocating" s.baby . . . heard from an old friend late last night---that I haven't talked to in a few years. She said that she's so fat she couldn't breathe . . . I told her I felt like I was SUFFOCATING in FAT!:( Now you've Posted the same sentinments here!!!!:hug:

Started surfing around and almost immediately found this site and just read around feeling more and more motivated! Hope I can be as motivational for others.:)

BellaLucia
11-22-2006, 09:43 PM
I want to lose 16-20lbs in 8 weeks by walking and eating right. I'm doing SB by the way.

needtolose4me2
11-26-2006, 04:54 PM
how are you liking SB?

needtolose4me2
11-26-2006, 04:56 PM
sugarbaby - How ya doing?

RobinW
11-27-2006, 07:08 AM
Ive finally gotten myself together, down 6lbs so far.

lady_adnerb
11-27-2006, 08:53 AM
I'm doing a late start on this...but better late than never. I'm shooting for....let's try 10 pounds by New Years :)

needtolose4me2
11-27-2006, 07:38 PM
good going robin! Welcome brenda!

RobinW
11-27-2006, 10:32 PM
day 3 sugar free :cb:
time for bed now :lol:

Arkansas Kel
11-28-2006, 07:26 AM
OK, with Thanksgiving behind me and Christmas (plus 1 party) ahead of me, I'm ready to set goals for the next year!!!

My preDecember baseline - I'm working out sporadically, doing random small sets of sit ups, staying OP more than not, and I'm at an all time low of 222 lbs. Not I'm going to build on that.

My New Year's challengs to myself will be exercise at least 1 hour per week (maybe use a stopwatch to keep up with it), Stay OP except 1 meal per week (I buy into the "reward meal" concept - gives me something to look forward to if I can't live without something). And get my weight down to 175. That's now that lofty for goals, but it will be some good changes for me. It is under a 50 lb loss (and I may achieve some of it before I get to January (working ahead might help me stick to my guns through the remaining holidays).

lady_adnerb
12-01-2006, 09:20 AM
DH has been talking about Christmas candy/cookies. How on earth am I going to resist those?? GRRR!! Well, we'll see how well I do. If I want to make goal I've GOT to stay away, right??

RobinW
12-04-2006, 09:29 AM
right!!!

aud
12-05-2006, 04:11 AM
Haven't had the dramatic drop I had years ago on Atkins. Thinking my menopause metabolism is totally shot - need to hit the weight room bad!

Only have 8 lbs to go for new year goal tho'.:)

What happened to sugarbaby?:?:

lady_adnerb
12-08-2006, 10:36 AM
3 pounds gone.....7 to go!! Would love it if I could do that by Christmas!!

LoriAS
12-12-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm joining in...starting weight for challenge 166 goal for Jan 1...160.

Better late than never!

lady_adnerb
12-16-2006, 10:17 AM
6 pounds gone....4 to go!

RobinW
12-16-2006, 12:01 PM
I havent posted in a while...Im still hangin' in there. Id love to be under 230 by jan1st. :crossed:

needtolose4me2
12-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Brenda! Wow that's great news!!
keep up the good work everyone!
I haven't been on the scale in 2 weeks. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I'll wait until Saturday. If it's bad news it will make me want to get on the ball and if it's good news I'll be so happy that I'll want to keep going!

aud
12-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Made my Goal weight . . .

Despite my Birthday . . .

Despite Txgiving . . .

Despite Christmas . . .

Despite lc beer break . . .

Despite a couple of bingefests . . .

It's My Birthday . . .

It's My Birthday . . .

I lost 20 . . .

Check my Ticker . . .

For my Birthday . . . :dizzy:

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

lilybelle
12-30-2006, 03:06 PM
aud, Happy Birthday and Congrat's on making your goal. WTG. You are doing fantastic.

needtolose4me2
12-30-2006, 10:59 PM
:bravo: :cp: :woo: AUD, I am SO happy for you:carrot:

That is great! you must be thrilled! :congrat: :balloons: I don't weigh in til tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous. but whatever it is, I'll take it!
congrats again. what a way to start off the new year!
:newyear: :dancer:
Maggie