Weight Loss Support - when will the size change?

View Full Version : when will the size change?

freethetoys
11-04-2006, 11:09 AM
I just wnated to get some help form everyone who has lost a substantial amount of weight, and see if i can get some answers....
How long did it take for your clothes to noticablly look different on you/feel different?
I have lost my first 10lbs, i feel great for doing it, but im really wanting to just get out of this dress size. I feel rubbish everytime i put on my other pairs of jeans at home, i only have one pair that fit, and its all i can wear confortably anywhere.
I have other jeans lying around, that are a bit small, all sort of fit, 2 fit to the point i cant breath, 1 fits but looks unsightly because they are low riders, and sit under my belly, and one wont do up on my zipper.
I have no money to get new jeans in my size, and if i loose the weight again next month, after 20lbs, i hope that the jeans (if i bought them) would be falling off me.

So i just need some general help into what stats i should loose dress sizes....
i know bums hips and thighs are a hard area to loose, so i was wondering if it would take up to about 20lbs to get down to the next dress size in my jeans?

any help would be greatfull.

olerito
11-04-2006, 12:23 PM
I have wondered this too. I don't care much about my weight persay, I just really want to go down to a size 13/14 and get out of plus sizes. It probably is different for everyone and probably also has a lot to do with height and body type, etc. For instance a person that is only 5'2" losing 20 lbs would make a much more noticeable difference than someone that is 6'2". More spread out, I think, right?

I can't wait till i can go down a size! I can sympathize big time! Good luck to you, I hope your jeans fit you really soon! :) Can you wear the low rise ones with a longer shirt so it hides your belly?

sh3l5
11-04-2006, 01:11 PM
I have lost quite a few pound, whatever it says on my counter and have only gone down 2 dress sizes. Yet my boyfriend claims I look ill from a side view

lilybelle
11-04-2006, 01:15 PM
I weighed 234 lbs. to start with. I started walking daily. After losing 30 lbs. , I had went from a size 20 to a size 14. My weight came off very quick from the hips and legs, but slower from the tummy area. It is so individual on how the wt. comes off. A lot of women say that their stomach lost first and the hips and legs were slower. I had a DD chest to start with and kept it til that last 20 lbs., now I'm barely a very padded C.

freethetoys
11-04-2006, 01:15 PM
OMG your incredibly thin.....thats like showing chocolate to a crying fat baby who cant have it :-(

freethetoys
11-04-2006, 01:17 PM
when i lost puppy fat, i lost it off my stomache first then my legs and bum (but i wasnt deliberatly loosing weight so i was not really sure why i was getting thinner) but yeh, now im running i was hoping it would come of my legs and bum a bit quicker... :-(

sh3l5
11-04-2006, 02:28 PM
OMG your incredibly thin.....thats like showing chocolate to a crying fat baby who cant have it :-(

From the front its a different story due to my hips. **** hey.

redlight
11-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Loopy -- You have such a skinny waist. Are you sure that you need to lose more? Wow, you look great.

I've been losing mainly from my face, my back fat, and a little from my belly.

snuggle
11-04-2006, 09:09 PM
It took me about 6 months and 60 lbs to drop 11 sizes. But it's different for everyone hun.

Jasmine31
11-04-2006, 09:23 PM
I have gone from 280 down to 218(so far) and I was a size 24 and am now a size 18 in jeans, some 14-16 stretchy's fit me.

Jasmine31
11-04-2006, 09:23 PM
sorry double post!

sugarbaby269
11-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Hi everyone!

Great question free! Doesn't fat rearrange itself? I remember when in times past I would lose like ten or fifteen pounds and at first it would just be around my poor wittle boobs and waist but then it would come off the old hind end and legs. After staying at a certain weight for awhile things sort of repositioned themselves. I don't know! That was way back when I was skinny compared to what I am now!
My question is DO BIG FAT APRONS GO AWAY???????? :(

olerito
11-04-2006, 10:12 PM
lol what is a fat apron??

i am a size 20 right now and want to get down to a 12 or 14

would you call that 6 sizes? or 3? hmm

sportmom
11-04-2006, 10:44 PM
That is 3 sizes. You are either a junior size (odd) or ladies (even), and you can't count all of the numbers - either just the evens or odds. It floors me when some of the less legit weight loss products on tv say someone went down 6 sizes for example, in the example you gave. You don't go from a 14 to a 13, you go from a 14 to a 12. I also love the ones who show their "fat" pic as they are holding their newborn infant or first day home from hosptital and count that 20lbs of blood, tissue & water loss in their "amazing" weight loss! lol

sugarbaby269
11-05-2006, 01:02 AM
OK... a fat apron is the huge skin that hangs from your once huge stomach. :barf: I am totally worried that my sagging stomach will end up turning into a huge ol' apron and it won't ever go away unless I have surgery. :yikes:

Sojourner
11-05-2006, 01:18 AM
I believe that losing ten to twelve pounds roughly equates to going down a size.

UWPiPhiAngel
11-05-2006, 01:24 AM
My results have been amazing. I've only lost a few pounds in the past couple weeks but I've managed to shrink my butt and thighs (where I really needed it!) to the point where my pants are noticeably loose. Now I need to concentrate on my waist.

sh3l5
11-05-2006, 03:02 AM
I have another 14lbs to go, hopefully a dress size - I'll let u know then how mnay lbs equates to a dress size!

olerito
11-05-2006, 04:26 AM
OK... a fat apron is the huge skin that hangs from your once huge stomach. :barf: I am totally worried that my sagging stomach will end up turning into a huge ol' apron and it won't ever go away unless I have surgery. :yikes:

see ive never lost weight so i didnt know about this! how lovely! yikes! i hope this isnt an unavoidable thing!! :?:

freethetoys
11-05-2006, 06:18 AM
thanks for the help... i guess everyone is different, i have no idea where the 10lbs has gone from really. ot my legs but or hips for sure, must be stomache and waist and boobs :-(

sugarbaby269
11-05-2006, 04:29 PM
I wonder if anyone can comment about the apron? Maybe there's people out there that once had a bigger stomach and have lost a lot of weight and don't have excess skin hanging down to their thighs. I don't know. I just started but it's a serious worry for me. I wonder if it's preventable. Anyone know? Maybe there's a post on this somewhere. :?:

MoragMunch
11-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Hi ... I really cannot say about the apron part of it since I am just starting out *again*. But, last year I lost about 50 pounds before putting it back on again. And the skin does tend to tighten up alot after awhile. The trick, I think, is to lose the weight at a slower moderate pace.
This scares me also :(

hoodj0080
11-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Just a thought about the fat apron thing: Maybe you could ask the maintainers forum. If anyone knew about it, it'd be those ladies i imagine. They've lost the weight and could probably give a nice perspective. Just a thought...

hoodj0080
11-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Lol, sugarbaby got me curious. I hunted until I found this link for you.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36040

Homersmummy
11-05-2006, 06:31 PM
I have lost 49lb and dropped 3-4 sizes, from UK 32 to a 24-26.
Luckily it seems my belly is shrinking without going saggy... I don't know if it will continue that way mind!
I really can't tell the difference on myself though... stupidly, when I sit in chairs in work that were tight and they still are, I convince myself i've not lost but I obviously have. I honestly think the weight has gone from my bum and my boobs and nowhere else!!

ValRock
11-05-2006, 06:38 PM
I've gone from 260 to 190ish.. I started in a 22 and now I'm in a 16... sometimes a 14 if I'm lucky. I think it's different for everyone! It took me 70 lbs to only go 3 sizes! Totally discouraging. I have the stomach "apron" problem too.. I HATE it.

Grumbleworts
11-05-2006, 07:50 PM
thanks for the help... i guess everyone is different, i have no idea where the 10lbs has gone from really. ot my legs but or hips for sure, must be stomache and waist and boobs :-(

I;'m with everyone else. I lost about 20 pounds during the summer and I went down only about 1 size, and even then, it was only in some brands of pants. I then gained back part of hte wieght, but I will let you know about it. I did notice tho that when i hit the 20 lb mark, things seemed to be way more noticeably disappearing.

So, I will keep my figners crossed that 20 lb is your magic number!:hug:

sugarbaby269
11-06-2006, 02:37 AM
Morag Wow 50lbs! Way to go! Good luck with your weight loss... :)

HoodjWowzers!! When I first read your post I was so excited to find that there was some information about what I worry about most. Then I read a lot of it and was so sad!!! :( I know I'll have a problem because after I reached 220lbs I started getting the fat pouch down low and now its pretty big. It already sort of hangs and I'm way freaked that it will be a live apron! I am chicken to think about having surgery but if I'm healthy enough when I lose this weight and have the money I'm having it removed!!! I heard a friend tell me that her friend had a tummy tuck and lost like 15lbs and went down two sizes just by getting rid of excess stomach. She had lost weight but couldnt get the weight off her stomach I guess. I'll have to check out that thread somemore and all the other goodies it comes with. THANKS SO MUCH!
What an awesome amount of weight you've lost Homer! :cheer: Keep up the great work and pretty soon you'll really notice the results. People lose it differently and sometimes it's more noticable than others.
ValrocksYou must be so proud to have lost so much too! I hope I can get my weight down..... arrrgh. What diet are you doing? You look great! :cheer: Sorry to hear that you have the apron thing. Maybe it will shrink up some more down the road... :eeks: Keeping my fingers crossed for you :crossed:

jillybean720
11-06-2006, 05:56 AM
It depends on SO many factors other than even just height, weight, and "shape" (apple, pear, hourglass, etc.). Add into that your amount of muscle vs. fat, your bone structure, your age, your diet, your hormones (women with more estrogen tend to keep more weight in their hips and breasts), your genetics, your exercise routine...

I lost almost 50 pounds last year. I went from 310.5 to 264. I wore the same exact pants size. I started in a 22 and ended in a 22 and have been a 22 yet again while gaining back up to my current of about 294. And the 22s were never even lose--there was never a chance I could "squeeze" into a 20.

As a very wise chick on these boards often says, "weight loss is NOT linear." (thanks, Heather ;) ) Well, in addition, neither is size change. Just as you will not lose the same amount of weight every single week throughout your journey, neither will you always lose the same number of pounds to go down a size. 10 pounds to you right now may not make much noticeable difference, but losing 10 pounds when you start at 150 might drop you 2 sizes. Heck, sometimes you can even lose sizes without losing ANY weight because of increased strength training. Be patient...

TamiL
11-06-2006, 07:25 AM
I have lost about 60 pounds now (I think a bit more but I haven't weighed myself in about a month now). I went from a 20 down to an 8 or 6 depending on the maker. I am only 5'3" and very much an hourglass shape. Whats funny is at Walmart I bought the smallest pair of jeans in the style that I wanted and they were supposedly a size 4, LOL So I guess what I am saying is............its hard to judge your loss by sizes, they vary greatly! You will do this!!

Tisha___
11-06-2006, 09:47 AM
I've lost 19 pounds so far, but I still can't tell a difference in my pants. I think I can in my shirts, but I'm still not sure. lol

When I started, I took "Before" pictures. On the 18th of this month, I'm going to take my "2 Month" pictures and see if I can tell a difference in them. I'm also going to try to wear the same clothes in all of my before, during, and after pictures. In my before pics, I'm wearing a tank top and some shorts that both fit pretty tight. I figure if I'm going to do it, I want to see all the fat rolls and stuff. lol

Anyway, I guess I'm not much help with your question, because I still haven't gone down a size or anything. I am starting to get paranoid about it, even though I know I shouldn't.

sugarbaby269
11-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Wow, great post jillybean! Thanks for the insight. :)

freethetoys
11-06-2006, 01:08 PM
thanks everyone for your responses.. i had to buy a size 20 jeans today, but i tried an 18 on, and they got on and did up, so i could have bought them, just been extremly uncomfortable...just hoping by mid december they will be up over the tummy. lol.
only 6 lbs till christmas challenge is over, then ill have to do a 8lbs new year challenge, hopefully by the end of them ill b down a size...... just wish weight came off evenly, wed all be happier people LOL. :-)

chick_in_the_hat
11-06-2006, 03:41 PM
I went from a size 24 @ 264 pounds to a 14 or 16 at 165. Then I started working out - I haven't lost much in the way of pounds...but I have a couple jeans that are 10's and the rest are 12's. Just goes to show ya it ain't all gonna show in the scale.

On the extra skin thing....I look at it this way....I may not ever be supermodel material. But I look danged good fully clothed. I wouldn't have believed myself if I had said it before. Don't let the fact that you may never look perfect slow you down from becoming a HEALTHIER person. That's what's really important, after all.

hoodj0080
11-06-2006, 05:31 PM
beautifully said, chick in the hat!!!

sotypical
11-06-2006, 05:44 PM
IT really depends on your clothes....

I have some things that used to JUST fit and now they are HUGE while I have some pants that still fit and I still wear (after losing almost 50 pounds!) - I dont think there is a real answer to this.....

smoochie3
11-07-2006, 11:58 AM
I remember hearing on Oprah that every 10 pounds you drop a size. Not true. I've lost 13 and although my pants are baggy in the legs, the pants still fit in the waist. Obviously I lose weight in the hips and thighs faster than the waist. I am anxious to get down another size.

IAte86Crayons
11-20-2006, 01:45 AM
I agree that it's different for everyone. I'm 192ish now and I started at 215 and I've only gone down 1 size. :(

Glory87
11-20-2006, 09:35 AM
I was a tight size 18 when I started (195+ lbs).

July 2004 - 195 lbs, size 18, waist 37, hips 44

October 2004 - 164 lbs, size 16, waist 34, hips 41

December 2004 - 150 lbs, size 14, waist 32, hips 39

February 2005 - 145 lbs, size 10, waist 30, hips 38

April 2005 - 140 lbs, size 10, waist 29, hips 37

June 2005 - 138 lbs - size 8, waist 28, hips 36

(didn't measure for awhile - thought I was done)

January 2006 - 127 lbs, size 6, waist 27, hips 36

NESunshine
11-20-2006, 05:06 PM
It really is all different for different people...I know that the last time I dropped weight I fit into a size 10 at 190lbs..with no 'muffin top'. I was really toned though (had been alpine hiking for 4 months, let me tell you that will do the trick). I also am very top heavy... no matter what size my butt has been I have had DDD breasts since high school and those don't seem to change at all! I think my back would be happy if I would lose weight from my breasts first!

2Bthinagain
11-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Okay this stomach apron thing is something I never thought of before. I think I'll have nightmares tonight! :devil: Please tell me with exercise it is possible to get rid, once we've all reached our goal weights!! I am so terrified of "going under".

As for the sizes , I had heard 20 pounds equals one size, like if you were a size 18 and lost 20 pounds, you'd be a size 16, 20 more pounds, a size 14, does that sound right?

FaeReverie
11-21-2006, 06:38 PM
2bethin - I really think it all depends on the person, weight, and the elacticity of your skin.

For example.. I'm young (21), so I have the fact that my skin is still naturally bounce-back-able going in my favor. But the fact that I have been overweight since before my age hit double digits means that I might have rips in my skin cells, which would make it harder to bounce back. Plus I'm a former smoker (quit in August), and smoking also kills the elasticity in your skin. So for me, it's a toss up - I may get an overhang of skin, and I may not.

My point is that that shouldn't be the biggest deal for you. With strength training, losing weight slowly and healthily, it is possible for your skin to jump back, but don't be surprised if you have excess skin. My stepmother has had to have excess skin removed surgically, and I know that if I have it, I want to have it removed. But my main worry now is losing the weight, and getting healthy, because that's really what's important.

It's really personal, different for every person. So don't freak until it happens... and by then, you'll be so happy to be getting healthy that it wont bother you!

*hugs*

SlimmingWorldChick
11-21-2006, 11:23 PM
I have lost quite a few pound, whatever it says on my counter and have only gone down 2 dress sizes. Yet my boyfriend claims I look ill from a side view

wow i actually mite change my goal ...wat size r u?