Paganchicks - Yule Challenge

View Full Version : Yule Challenge

mauvaisroux
11-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Anyone up for a challenge running from now through to December 31st?

This will give us 9 weeks to lose, maintain, or limit holiday festivity gain.

If you are interested please post your goals and support each other in our weight loss journeys.

mauvaisroux
11-02-2006, 02:49 PM
For the month of November:

1. I will continue to attend dance class once per week and pratice yoga at home twice a week.

2. I will plan to eat healthy while in California this month and try to stick to vegetarian meals as much as possible. :carrot:

3. I will not consume all of the leftover Halloween candy! :D

4. I will try out a new recipe and post it if it is good. :chef:

5. I would like to lose 5 lbs by December 15 - DH's office party.

drake3272004
11-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Okay, I'm in this time!
1) I WILL use restraint when it comes to the Halloween candy.
2) I WILL continue to use my cross-trainer......3 days on, 1 day off.
3) I WILL go swimming as often as possible (totally bummed that I can't go this weekend, pump broke in the pool and can't be fixed til next week:p )
4) When I can't go swimming, I will make up for it by other means of exercise.
5) I WILL make healthier food choices.
6) I WILL document my progress (or lack of) in my journal.

Jewell
11-05-2006, 02:52 AM
I'm up for the challange.....my goals for the Yule Challange are:

Loose at least 10lbs
Exercise at least every other day week.
Take time out to meditate and work on my inner spirit.

mauvaisroux
11-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Ahg! Blew it yesterday due to social events but I am back on track today!

DH is away tonight so I have planned a healthy supper for one. :chef:

Allycatisfat
11-05-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm up for the Yule challenge.

My goals are:

1.) Keep up my plan and not lose patience
2.) Excersise for at least 4 hours a week
3.) Lose ten pounds

cathrynb
11-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Greetings:

My primary Yule Goal is for the scale to go under 190. That's reasonable and doable.

Other goals are:

- Have one day a week, usually Sunday, that I don't work on transcripts.

- Exercise at least four times a week.

- Make some headway on why I am so resistant to exercise.

Vilandra485
11-09-2006, 06:37 AM
I'm in! Well I have a Dec. 19th goal - for when I go visit my family in Victoria - so I will just use that...it's a tough goal for me, so it might take me to the 31st to hit it anyways. :D

So, my "by the end of year" goals are:

1. Continue to strength train every other day.

2. Meet my November and December exercise minute goals. (1200 for this month...454 down so far, 746 to go!)

3. Eat NO potato chips, chocolate bars, McDonalds, etc.

4. Take my measurements once more, in 4-6 weeks. (Just did them on the 4th.)

5. Continue to weigh-in every Tuesday - even when I'm in Victoria for 2 weeks...I will take my scale with me! LOL! :lol:

And my "I am hoping to....by the end of year" goals are:

1. To go from 324 to 307lbs. (My goal mid-year was to get to 299.5 by New Years, but I think that's CLEARLY out of the running now...darn stall took forever to break!)

2. To lose 1.5" off my waist.

3. To lose 1.5" off my hips.

Well, thanks for another great thread - can we or should we post our weekly weigh-ins on here?

Melissa

mauvaisroux
11-09-2006, 11:42 AM
We can post here if you like unless you would all prefer a weekly weighin thread?

You can let me know and I'll start one or someone else can start it if they like. :)

Vilandra485
11-09-2006, 07:57 PM
I'd like to do it on this one...keeps it all together, and we can also post about how we're doing with our goals that aren't to do with a weigh-in. Keeps it all in one thread so we don't forget about one or the other. My weigh-ins are on Tuesday's, so I will be back each week for that. :)

Melissa

drake3272004
11-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Well the blasted pool was closed ALL week, the pump went out all together and then they ordered the wrong one.............so, it's suppose to be up and ready tomorrow. I did have some candy, BUT I did use restraint and didn't eat the whole bowl worth.:D And I am down 2 pounds this week, we'll see if it stays off. My weigh-ins are on Fridays. I'm hoping to be down to 200 by Christmas, but I don't have that as a goal since I've been at 220-219 since August. As long as I keep losing inches then I'm happy:)

Allycatisfat
11-10-2006, 10:51 PM
I'm a scale junkie, so I do not keep one here at my house. If I did, I would weigh myself every hour to see if I've magically lost a pound only to be dissappointed. Because of this, I weigh myself at the grocery store once a week. For the past two weeks, I've weighed in at 228. Last week was the start of PMS, so I expected that. But today when I stepped on the scale and saw that it was 228 three weeks in a row!!! I was nearly crushed...and then remembered I was holding my purse. I put my purse down and magically lost 3 pounds. lol

Woot! Proooogresss! And I'm still PMSing. :carrot:

Blessed be, ladies.

Vilandra485
11-11-2006, 02:14 AM
Just stopping in to say I'm doing good, scale seems to be good for now...hopefully I'll have a nice loss on Tuesday! I got alot of exercise in today - 65 mins of walking and 20 mins with my weights...I want to do a bit more with my weights later, but we will see. :) To all: Which day do you weigh-in on?

Melissa

Jewell
11-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Well the first week didn't go to bad. Even with a hip injury I was able to loose 2 pounds. Hopefully the coming weeks will go just as good.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-retro6/slider-but2/lb/0/10/2/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/)

Vilandra485
11-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Jewell - 2 pounds is awesome! WTG! :cheer:

mauvaisroux
11-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Sounds like a plan to me Vilandra! :) I'd like to weigh in on Mondays to try to keep myself on track on the weekends.

BTW - way to go on the exercise! :cp:

Jewell - congratulations on the 2lb loss! :cheer:

drake3272004
11-13-2006, 01:16 AM
But today when I stepped on the scale and saw that it was 228 three weeks in a row!!! I was nearly crushed...and then remembered I was holding my purse. I put my purse down and magically lost 3 pounds. lol
:lol: I think my purse weighs about that too! Keep up the good work!

Have a good Monday everyone!:)

Vilandra485
11-13-2006, 01:23 AM
mauvaisroux - Good Luck with your weigh-in tomorrow. :) How many pounds from goal are you?

mauvaisroux
11-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks villandra! I lost 1 lb this week which is okay condsidering I survived a very stressful week including a work related cocktail party.

I've been struggling with the last 10 lbs. I keep going up and down and never quite getting theew but my main aim now is to get into better physical shape.

I eat really well but my exercise could be improved. I think once I resolve that issue I will start dropping again.

I am now 8lbs away from my goal of 160 - I just have to stay the course. I will be happy to maintain between 160 -165 as long as I feel good and my BMI is good. :D

I have to say that you are doing well according to your tracker. Congratulations and stay the course - you can do it! :cheer:

Vilandra485
11-14-2006, 05:41 AM
mauvaisroux - Congrats on the -1lb! :cheer2: Thanks for the congrats on my progress so far. :) I am about 12lbs more than what I wanted to be at this stage, but I guess that's what a get for a loooong stall like I had a bit ago. I'm just gonna keep going! :D My weigh-in is tomorrow..I'll be back!

Mummy_Tummy
11-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Hi girls! Is it too late to join in? Starting today, I have 5 weeks and 2 days til Yule so I would love to lose 10 pounds by then. Tuesdays are my weigh-in days at Slimming World so I'll just stick with that. Also, I have just bought new jeans in a size 10! My 12s were hanging off of me and my husband said hwas embarrassed to be seen with me anymore, hehe. The 10s are a bit snug so part of that 10 pound goal is to fit them really well.

My goals for the next 5 weeks are:

* to continue power walking five mornings a week even if the weather goes off
* to re-introduce weight training 3-5 mornings a week
* Drink mostly water and tea
* Stick with wholegrains, wholefoods and Mediterrasian way of eating.
* Stay OP with Slimming World
* Begin a daily meditation/visualisation of me reaching my goal, also incorporating the Waning Moon weight loss spell into this (see my other thread about it)

Vilandra485
11-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Mummy Tummy - Welcome! Your goals sound awesome, good luck! Congrats on your progress so far. :) Size 12 jeans falling off you? NICE! My *final* goal is just to be a size 16 or so! :lol: When do you weigh-in each week? Welcome again, hope to see you posting here often. :D

Vilandra485
11-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Results of my weigh-in....I'm -4.5lbs!!! 11 pounds in the remaining 5 weeks to lose for my goal! (Or nearly 7 weeks for our challenge.) :)

Allycatisfat
11-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Results of my weigh-in....I'm -4.5lbs!!! 11 pounds in the remaining 5 weeks to lose for my goal! (Or nearly 7 weeks for our challenge.) :)

Woo-hoo! Awesome WL. :carrot:

Vilandra485
11-14-2006, 04:52 PM
TY! :)

Mummy_Tummy
11-14-2006, 05:53 PM
That's really great! And totally doable, as well. Blessed be!

drake3272004
11-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Results of my weigh-in....I'm -4.5lbs!!! 11 pounds in the remaining 5 weeks to lose for my goal! (Or nearly 7 weeks for our challenge.)
Great job! Good luck with the rest:)

Well PMS is dragging me down, I am SOOOO hormonal right now, I just want to sleep the week away:p Trying real hard not to impulse eat, the worst time for me.......and I am really hoping that the gain, even if only 2 lbs, is just bloat!! I was being pessimistic the other day about my loss, now I know why. I'm going to push the water and get up and move:dizzy:

Mummy_Tummy
11-15-2006, 03:54 AM
Down a pound since last week. But I'm looking back and examining my habits and I know there's room for improvement. Like, I've still had some Pepsi and also crisps and a few sweeties, that sort of thing. I think to myself if I just cut all that out, how much faster could I lose? And then I came to the realization that if I DID cut those treats out, I'd probably not stick as well to my plan the rest of the time. And the rest of the time, I eat a really great mix of whole/super foods. So perhaps sacrificing a faster loss for knowing that I'm going to be able to maintain the loss as and when I get there is the best route to go after all because let's face it, no way will I never eat another packet of crisps or piece of carrot cake again, ya know? There's no point losing it quickly if it's just going to come right back.

And leave it to me to equate my unhealthy treats with sacrifice!:rofl:

Vilandra485
11-15-2006, 04:21 AM
Mummy Tummy - I'm one of those people who couldn't just cut down on junk, so I took it out of my diet 100% - no chocolate bars, potato chips, McDonalds, etc. I felt there was an emotional hold on me with those foods, they would bring my mood up, then I'd be depressed after having it, etc. So that's what started my journey for me...a total cut out of junk food. It sucks some days...but it's not like I need those foods anyways. I'll just have to live with my choice now, cause there's no "just one bite" for me. I've lost almost 40lbs in 6 months with that - I guess it's all a personal decision with alot more to it than just the calories of junk food. :)

Mummy_Tummy
11-15-2006, 08:48 AM
You're absolutely right, Vilandra. No two people can gain success in the same way. What works for one will not work for another. It's a bit like Paganism really in that there are general guidelines you need to follow but mostly, you gotta find what works for you and then stick to it, hehe.:D

I don't have emotional baggage when it comes to junk food. I can have a bit and that will satisfy my craving and then I'm good for it. We all have different issues, I think. Mine was always portion control. I used to pile up my plate, go back for seconds and then clean up everyone else's!:o The thought of left-overs in the fridge would drive me mental and I'd end up having those as a late night snack! I've never quite figured out why I was like that but I'm sure there's some deep-rooted psychological issue somewhere.:dizzy: Just learning basic portion control, how to eat slowly and recognize the signs that I'm full have been lifesavers for me.

And congrats on your weight loss! That's absolutely fantastic! I am so impressed with people who get such fantasic results because I know how hard it is.

Vilandra485
11-16-2006, 08:45 AM
How's everyone doing? OP? :D

drake3272004
11-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Well, I'm busy getting my house cleaned............we are now having Thanksgiving at my place! My husband cooks, I clean!!! We are expecting my MIL and her boyfriend, my good friend and her boyfriend and possibly my SIL and her family. Nobody really had plans, so we decided to have everyone here.....should be interesting since we live in an apartment:dizzy:
As far as weight goes, I am just stuck at 219! I just keep at it, I need to take measurements again and see if I've lost any inches at least:)

Mummy_Tummy
11-20-2006, 04:13 AM
I've lost weight (about 2 pounds) but that's because I've been sick, sick, sick! I'm sure it will come back once I've managed to rehydrate myself. I won't be doing any power walking today either because I don't have the strength for it. I've spent the weekend on the sofa feeling miserable. I'm sure today I'll be on the sofa recuperating. Funny thing is though, my body is so sore from all that lying around! I wish I had the energy to exercise!

drake3272004
11-21-2006, 12:02 AM
I've lost weight (about 2 pounds) but that's because I've been sick, sick, sick! I'm sure it will come back once I've managed to rehydrate myself. I won't be doing any power walking today either because I don't have the strength for it. I've spent the weekend on the sofa feeling miserable. I'm sure today I'll be on the sofa recuperating. Funny thing is though, my body is so sore from all that lying around! I wish I had the energy to exercise!
Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well!:hug: Take care!

Mummy_Tummy
11-22-2006, 04:06 AM
At weigh-in last night, I had lost 4 pounds!!! I was Slimmer of the Week and got to take home a bag of fruit and other healthy goodies. I'm a little worried that as I rehydrate myself, some of that weight will come back but I'm also really determined to stay OP this coming week, as well.

Vilandra485
11-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Mummy Tummy - Way to go! 4 pounds is AWESOME! :carrot:

I, on the other hand, somehow gained 1.5lbs! It might be TOM, might not, but I find it hard to believe I took in that many calories over my limit! Well, hopefully it will smooth out. I am going to visit my family for the holidays 8 days early now, so I made a new goal - 2lbs a week for the 3 weeks until i leave. :) Stay OP ladies!

Melissa

cathrynb
11-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Greetings:

Mummytummy, good news, indeed! FOUR pounds! WOW!!!

Vilandra, these things happen. Keep coming back and keep going, and I bet that 1.5 will be out of your life permanently in no time at all.

Mummy_Tummy
11-22-2006, 12:38 PM
We are all strong, beautiful and successful Priestesses and we will succeed! Goddess grant me the strength to lay off the Pepsi!

mauvaisroux
11-22-2006, 10:57 PM
Way to go Mummy_tummy! :cp:

Villandra - if its TOM it will be gone in a couple of days so keep going and don't get discouraged.

I gained 2 lbs while on vacation although I ate pretty healthy while I was in SoCal. I think it might me due to salty foods and eating at McD's at the airport since that was what was there other than $9.00 sandwhiches that appeared to be stale and unappatizing.

I'll probably be back to normal in a day or two. :crossed:

drake3272004
11-25-2006, 01:41 PM
Well, I got tired of the scale not moving so I took my measurements. I started my weightloss journey on June 1st, but I didn't think to take my measurements for the first time until the end of August. Almost 3 months exactly since then, and the results are:
1" off thighs
3/4" off upper arms
2" off hips
1" off bust
3 1/2" off gut
:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

cathrynb
11-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Greetings:

Those are some amazing statistics! Are you going to celebrate?

Thanks also for the good example of giving us something to consider when things seem not to be happening. I'll remember that.

drake3272004
11-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Greetings:

Those are some amazing statistics! Are you going to celebrate?

Thanks also for the good example of giving us something to consider when things seem not to be happening. I'll remember that.
Well, I didn't go out and celebrate yet. I'm going to wait until my best friend can go shopping with me and we are going to have a girl's day out! She is getting married next fall so we have lots of things to do, plus holiday shopping!

I was totally stuck on the numbers on the scale and I was getting so disappointed. But then I saw someone else's thread about they're measurements and started relying on that instead. With all those inches off you would think that I would be losing on the scale too:dizzy:

Mummy_Tummy
11-27-2006, 03:43 AM
It boggles my mind how the body can rearrange itself and lose inches but still weigh the same! I'm exactly the same in that I weigh about the same, in fact, about 4 pounds more than I did a few months ago yet I went down a size in trousers.:?: It's craziness. There's some such point to be made about muscle weighing less than fat or at least taking up less room so there ya go.

That's really great! Congrats on your success. Have a great time with your friend out shopping. You deserve it!

I really must get around to taking my measurements.

Jewell
11-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Sorry I didnt post last week but with the holiday its been hectic around here. Well the scale hasn't budged but I guess I should be happy that I havent gained any. So now hopefully I can get back on track, just need to find so more indoor exercises, since it is way to cold to go outside (last I looked it was a wind chill of -15 and dropping)

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar053/cartoonstar01/lb/0/10/2/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/)

cathrynb
11-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Greetings:

Well, five pounds since I started, three pounds away from my Yule goal. I'm a slow loser, and I'm not a big exerciser, so that's realistic.

I'm doing basically well, counting calories and doing some asthmatic, old-lady-type exercise on my AirDyne (a kind of exercise bike with movable arms) two out of three days. Unfortunately, Ted brought home a creamy pie a few days ago, and I have had a couple of small pieces.

In my paper journal, I am doing work on the reasons I overeat. Some of my overeating is careless, but I also eat in response to emotional situations of any kind. I have figured out that what I need to do is do what I can about the situation, then wait for it to resolve. The waiting is when I want to eat because what if things don't work out the way I want? Example: I have been frantically busy with work for months, and now there's nothing. (Typical pattern for court reporters, BTW.) So I tell the various agencies I work with that I'm available, I send a resume to one I haven't worked with before. Last year, I overate in this same situation. This year, I'm (mostly) not letting myself do that.

Jewell, if you didn't gain, you're just holding steady, that's good, particularly since it was a holiday week.

Onward, ever onward.

Mummy_Tummy
11-29-2006, 07:21 AM
I had a 2 pound gain at weigh-in last night. But I was expecting it. I knew that some of that 4 pounds from last week was just from having the flu and being dehydrated. But 2 pounds of it was honest to goodness loss so I'll be happy about that. And I'm back on track for the coming week. I have to go back and see where I started but I do believe I'm down about 5 pounds with 5 pounds to go for my Yule Challenge.

Cathryn, I'm a slow loser, too. But when I finally manage to get it off, it tends to stay off. So that's okay. Slow and steady wins the race!

mauvaisroux
11-29-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm focusing on not gaining any extra over the holidays.

I'm back to eating vegetarian throughout the week and trying to stick with WW recipes so I know they will be lower in fat, etc.

I am also going to challenge myself to get some outdoor exercise this winter as I have a tendency to hibernate when I get home or not want to go out on the weekends. I must resist the urge to snuggle under a blanket if front of the tv! :yes:

drake3272004
11-30-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm not even going to bother weighing in tomorrow. I've been sick since Sunday, started off with a viral cough thing that's now a head cold. And on top of that, TOM was late and vicious.
SO, I'm probably going to be crazy busy this weekend to catch up on everything. Including exercise! I don't think I could have done anything even if I had the will.:dizzy:
Later ladies:)

mauvaisroux
12-01-2006, 03:08 PM
:getwell:Hope you are feeling better soon canfield!

drake3272004
12-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Hope you are feeling better soon canfield!
Thank you! I'm FINALLY feeling more like myself! I was able to work out for the first time in over a week, still coughing a bit, but I wasn't winded so that's a plus:D
Hope everyone else is doing well, how is the weather treating you? Seems to be pretty nasty most everywhere:dizzy:

drake3272004
12-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Well, how is everyone doing? Yule is inching up on us, two weeks left.
I didn't weigh in, but I'm back at 219.............if I can maintain and not gain then I'll be happy. Still keeping up with my goals as best as I can, still had a bit of a cough this past week. Feeling much better and now getting busier! Been having some computer problems so I don't know how much I'll be on.
Hope everyone is doing well!!!!!!!!!

mauvaisroux
12-11-2006, 10:40 AM
I hear ya canfield! I'm focusing on maintaining my current weight over the holidays and not gaining, then starting my new plan of attack in January.

Jewell
12-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Well this has been harder than I thought, with the holidays it just seems like there is no time to keep but with a constant routine, but I am managing to loose a litte. So right now I am at the point if I can keep from gaining I will be doing good.
Jewell

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-blue/penguin/lb/0/10/5/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/)

cathrynb
12-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Greetings:

It sounds as if you're doing fine. Really. Keep up the good work.

mauvaisroux
12-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Keep at it Jewell! :cheer:

cathrynb
12-12-2006, 12:33 AM
Greetings:

Put my walking shoes on and took a cautious one-hour walk on a flat trail nearby. I also wrote down everything I ate, stayed on program, and was good about drinking water and herbal tea (getting enough water is a problem for me). It was kind of easy because I did not have to go out to report a deposition today.

Even better, I planned for tomorrow. I have my walking clothes ready. I have to drive a fair distance to take depositions between 12:00 and 3:00, meaning I have to kind of finesse lunch; I'm going to pack one for the car. Ah well.

Better yet, I am already planning for tomorrow.

mauvaisroux
12-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Way to go! :cp:

cathrynb
12-15-2006, 12:42 PM
Slowly but surely pulling it back together (sigh).